• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breaking Titles at the Chateau! (823)

Nodame

Misty <3
8/10 - I really liked seeing the history of the Battle Chateau being explained and all the exposition it received. The inspiration of British nobility was cool and Viola was awesome.

Average episode, but definitely one of the better XY episodes-- surprisingly decent: 7/10.

The Surskit vs Onix fight in this episode was one of the best fights I have ever seen in this show. Really great.

Also, love Grant. He's interesting and has a admirable charisma. Gotta add him to the male Gym leaders I like, next to Brawly.

Viola was nice as well, and it's great that we can witness a development for side characters such as the gym leaders instead of only Ash's team/group.

Last edited:

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
If the maid looking lady who runs the battles has a name that starts with a sound like Jenny joy and George then I will hold on to my theory that there will be multiple battle chateaus across the region. of course I mean in the dub since that's where the pattern lies. and as such she will have many many many identical sisters running battle chateaus across Kalos.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
If the maid looking lady who runs the battles has a name that starts with a sound like Jenny joy and George then I will hold on to my theory that there will be multiple battle chateaus across the region.

She's named Molly, but everything mentioned in this episode and later episodes heavily imply there's only one single Battle Chateau.

zhixun

Average filler episode in my opinion. Not sure whether they will make another visit to Battle Chateau although I hope to. Otherwise it would be a waste for Satoshi gaining a title here. Iwark beat Ametama despite half type advantage and the battle was decent. This surely develops Satoshi as he notices he has to deal with Ganseki Fuji.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
The rapping was ok but those 2 guys look very odd, it is almost like they randomly stumbled in from another show or something.

It is nice to see someone else besides Ash make a terrible decision regarding Pikachu and type match ups. Would have been even better if the battle could have been a true sweep and had Pikachu 1 hit KO Fletchling but oh well, maybe next time.

Good use of Onix but if I were Brock and not a breeder, I would be extremely jelly.
This would have been a perfect oppurtunity for Team Rocket to try and swipe some pokemon but since the Chateau is filled with experienced trainers I can understand why they might not make an appearance. (although I think it is still highly unusual that they did not at least try, maybe they are starting to notice that the writers will never let them win?)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, the anime makes Duke Turner the owner of the chateau, while in the games...does he say anything about that fact?

Seems Grant has a fetish, uh, love for climbing walls and walls in general, probably just like in the games. I liked how he just fell in the background because he wanted to clap. One of these days, he'll die like that... Geez, Clemont. You're a Gym Leader, and your colleagues don't even know who you are, but it also the same backwards.

I don't really think the guys will ever return to the chateau again, though.

zhixun

Well, the anime makes Duke Turner the owner of the chateau, while in the games...does he say anything about that fact?

Seems Grant has a fetish, uh, love for climbing walls and walls in general, probably just like in the games. I liked how he just fell in the background because he wanted to clap. One of these days, he'll die like that... Geez, Clemont. You're a Gym Leader, and your colleagues don't even know who you are, but it also the same backwards.

I don't really think the guys will ever return to the chateau again, though.

May be there is an arc for Battle Chateau. Just like Battle Frontier in AG and this make sense if XY is going to follow AG pattern.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Average filler episode in my opinion. Not sure whether they will make another visit to Battle Chateau although I hope to. Otherwise it would be a waste for Satoshi gaining a title here. Iwark beat Ametama despite half type advantage and the battle was decent. This surely develops Satoshi as he notices he has to deal with Ganseki Fuji.

I'm so annoyed how people toss filler around. We met Grant that alone makes this non filler. Plus Ash joined the BC which I doubt will not be seen again. Otherwise he would not have been given a rank. Seriosuly people need to stop tossing filler around. Either that or as a fanbase we just call all eps canon since it seems too many shout filler when it is not filler.

Like back in the DP era where people said we had 50 weeks worth of filler between gym 7 and 8 when that was not true.

As for the episode it was pretty action based. Viola's voice was adorable and Grant's was too. Well not adorable but smexy XD. He looked older in the anime than the games. At least to me but maybe it was due to him being dressed up over his urban outfit.

If the maid looking lady who runs the battles has a name that starts with a sound like Jenny joy and George then I will hold on to my theory that there will be multiple battle chateaus across the region. of course I mean in the dub since that's where the pattern lies. and as such she will have many many many identical sisters running battle chateaus across Kalos.

THIS!

I mean DP only had one contest hall in game but had tons in the anime.

Last edited:

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
Initially, this seemed like an interesting episode. Unfortunately, due to reasons I am not quite sure of, I absolutely hated this episode.

sheld999

the two characters we meet didn't seem to well done in english too many yo yo yos

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode. The battles were good. I found Grant to be a little hilarious, him falling down like that. And Viola coming in unannounced, too.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The brothers were ridiculous in the dub, wow, talk about over-exaggeration.

Guess you never met wangsters since it was pretty spot on. Or maybe it's the fact I have too many ghetto white boys at my school and I'm used to it

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Three battles in one episode was a treat, all of which I enjoyed.

I didn't like the two brothers in the episode. I know they were meant to act that way but the amount of 'yo' just got annoying towards the end and I thought it was getting in the way of the episode instead of enhancing it.

I was surprised to see Fletchinder win against that dusknoir but I guess we didn't see the entire battle as it cut away to Viola and Grant. Ash's battle was entertaining and I'm glad that his determination keeps getting referred to because that is one of Ash's best qualities. Finally, the main event of Grant vs Viola was great. It was nice to see Surskit again and at first it had the upper hand but then Grant used rock polish and it was Onix all the way.

Great episode, onto the next one!

cg19293

Easily the best episode of the series so far.I hope the chateau doesn't prove to be a one off episode although if it doesn't then it'll be interesting to see how its incorporated further as the series goes on.

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
I didn't like Grant tbh. A guy at his age trying to clap on the ceiling? >.> Though I guess it's cause I never really cared for odd characters.

The rapping bros were very annoying and glad Serena thought so too. Though poor girl getting affected by it XD

Loved Violas outfit. iwant =3

Most of the battles were pretty rushed, though Grant & Viola's were pretty good.

Not a very interesting episode. Though I'm probably still uninterested in battle tournaments type episodes due to B/W abusing the heck out of it especially in Rival Destinies. But I kinda hope Ash battles at the Chateau again since he did get in.

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
A pretty good episode. I enjoyed seeing Grant debut in the anime. Him falling down from the wall was silly, although strange to be honest. Viola looked really pretty in that outfit! I'm also glad that Viola and Grant are known for their Duke/Duchess titles from the game's Battle Chateau.

I'm actually surprised Ash competed and even got the title of Baron. Hopefully this Battle Chataeu will keep going onward and wasn't just a one time episode.