• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breeding & Egg Move Chains Help/Discussion Thread - Egg Moves list & FAQ in 1st post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
TM Breeding: For a TM to be bred onto the baby, the baby MUST be able to learn said move by TM. A case where this becomes an issue is swampert with stealth rock. It is a very widely recommended move for swampert and it and marshtomp can learn it via TM HOWEVER Mudkip cannot learn it by TM or breeding.
Also, Flame Body/Magma armor hatching Is NOT 50%. It cuts the egg hatching steps to between 1/2 or 2/3 of what it would normally be, not 1/2 for all.

I thought the first point was a bit obvious at first. However, having thought about it, I almost made that mistake involving Nuzleaf learning Psych Up, but not Seedot, so I suppose it is an easy mistake to make. Thanks, I'll make that clearer.

The Flame Body/Magma Armor thing is interesting, as I've always heard it as a 50% reduction. Prompted by your comment, I've looked around a bit, and some others seem to support your claim, so I'll trust you on this and change that bit.

Oh, and S.H.L, the Dratini line does not learn Dragon Dance by level-up in the 3rd gen, so you'll have to use this chain:

{3rd gen: Horsea/Gyarados/Altaria (Dragon Dance) -> Dragonite (Ice Punch by Move Tutor)} -> {4th gen: Totodile}

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
Yea there's an article somewhere on smogon that details why it is like that. It has something to do with eggs using 2 different counters and flame body only cuts one of the by 2 each time which results in some wild numbers.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that, at least it works like this in emerald (i tested it myself), ivs are the only thing set when you pick up the egg. Gender, nature, ability, and moveset are all set when the daycare man "recieves the egg from your pokemon". soft resetting in front of the old man on emerald while he was outside the gate yielded the exact same nature/gender/ability for each different hatching of the same egg but the IV's were always different.

lovebug2004

dose any one here no what you get when you cross a male emponeon with a golduck

lovebug2004

i have the egg it just won't hatch my friend said that you could bread and get something completley dif then the pokemon you used

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
lovebug2004 said:
You get a Psyduck. It's in the first post.

Thanks again, DarkSpectrum. I'll edit that in.

Is it possible to get a budew with extrasensory and Leafstorm? I think you might be able to breed a shiftry and roserade, but Im not sure...

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
Yep, that's all you do. Just breed a male Shiftry that knows Extrasensory and Leaf Storm with a female Roselia/Roserade. Make sure the Roselia/Roserade is holding a Rose Incense.

goldgolem

tell me when to go
can a gible learn iron head and outrage at same time or is that an illegal move combination?

Joe

Lost Fan #4815162342
Just wondering, if I was to teach Energy Ball to Stantler via TM, whilst it also knew Hypnosis, could I breed it with a Ninetales to get both Hypnosis and Energy Ball onto a Vulpix? I've read in this thread that they need to be able to learn the TM, but Vulpix has it as an egg move without knowing the TM.

Thanks in advance. :O

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
Just wondering, if I was to teach Energy Ball to Stantler via TM, whilst it also knew Hypnosis, could I breed it with a Ninetales to get both Hypnosis and Energy Ball onto a Vulpix? I've read in this thread that they need to be able to learn the TM, but Vulpix has it as an egg move without knowing the TM.

Thanks in advance. :O

Since it is an egg move for vulpix it doesn't matter whether or not it can learn it as a TM. This is one of those rare occasions that it has to be bred as an egg move... similar to psyduck with psychic.

MidnightTheMightyena

Money for nothing
Wow! Thank You for the list! This is very helpful, but I have a question considering IVs.
ok so IVs can be passed down from parents to children, but I've heard that if a hatched pokemon is male it inherits these stats from the female parent visa versa.
Ex: Let's say I have a male meganium, with 31 IVs in defense and special defense and I breed it with a female sceptile with 31 IVs in special attack and speed.
Ok now I breed them and get a female treecko, then maybe it will get higher IVs in defense and special defense right? because it inherits stats from meganium. And if treecko is male it will inherit stats from sceptile.
Just making sure I know what I'm doing.... ;262;
thanks to anyone who can help^^

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
I have seen no proof whatsoever that IVs are gender related. All the tests i've seen show that IVs can be passed down from either parent for any child.
I know it is at least partially untrue because IV's can be passed down from both parents.
i.e. 2ivs from the father and 1 from the mother or vice versa.

Last edited:

Bizziler

What's the easiest way to get Wish onto an Eevee? I'm sure there's a really obvious one, but I can't find it >.<

Ok I need more help with breeding.

1. Does the nature of the two parents help help at ALL determining what the baby pokemon's nature will be?
Example: If I breed a male timid horsea with a female timid horsea do I get a better chance of getting a timid horsea?

I ask this because I have bred well over 50 horsea and they all seem to be about the same natures. Only ONE timid one. The father is docile and the mother varries. I used a dolice female for a while too.

Am I just unlucky here? XD

Also, How random are the IVs? Are they REALLY based on the parents, or is it just a little. (Like if you breed 2 pokemon with a low IV in say, Speed, do you have ANY chance of getting a high IV in speed? )

Thanks for the help

Ok I need more help with breeding.

1. Does the nature of the two parents help help at ALL determining what the baby pokemon's nature will be?
Example: If I breed a male timid horsea with a female timid horsea do I get a better chance of getting a timid horsea?

I ask this because I have bred well over 50 horsea and they all seem to be about the same natures. Only ONE timid one. The father is docile and the mother varries. I used a dolice female for a while too.

Am I just unlucky here? XD

Also, How random are the IVs? Are they REALLY based on the parents, or is it just a little. (Like if you breed 2 pokemon with a low IV in say, Speed, do you have ANY chance of getting a high IV in speed? )

Thanks for the help

If you attach a Everstone to the female, the baby will have a 50% chance of inheriting the female's nature. Otherwise, it's all just luck.

for the IV question..I know the answer in my head, but I can't word it very well, sorry.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
For the IV question, there is up to 3 of the IV stats that can be passed down from the parents. So if both parents had a low IV in speed, there would be a decent chance that the 3 Iv's will NOT come from the parents' speed stat - then it's the usual 1 in 32 chance to have an IV of *insert iv number from 0-31* for speed.

So yes, there is a decent chance for a good IV in that example. May take some time, depending on your luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.