• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breeding & Egg Move Chains Help/Discussion Thread - Egg Moves list & FAQ in 1st post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zayer

i have a question bout breeding ,

If i breed a shiny female larvitar with a normal male lapras
will there be an increased chance that the egg that hatches will be a shiny aswell?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yes, your chances of getting a Pokémon with a high Speed IV is slightly less, though the reason why isn't a direct one.

From the Emerald version and onward, all offspring get three IVs from their parents. Which stats they are and which parent they come from are random. All three might come from the same parent, or you might get 1 from one parent and 2 from another. When you have two Pokémon with low Speed IVs, their offspring will most likely get their Speed IVs from one of the parents and result in a low one. You may sometimes get a high Speed IV, but it'll have to get its three parental IVs of other stats.

will there be an increased chance that the egg that hatches will be a shiny aswell?

Nope. Your chances are still 1 in 8192.

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light

If you were breeding in the 2nd gen then yes there would be a higher chance. However, in the 3rd and 4th gens, the chance is the same as finding on in the wild.
Yes, your chances of getting a Pokémon with a high Speed IV is slightly less, though the reason why isn't a direct one.

From the Emerald version and onward, all offspring get three IVs from their parents. Which stats they are and which parent they come from are random. All three might come from the same parent, or you might get 1 from one parent and 2 from another. When you have two Pokémon with low Speed IVs, their offspring will most likely get their Speed IVs from one of the parents and result in a low one. You may sometimes get a high Speed IV, but it'll have to get its three parental IVs of other stats.

3 IVs inherited is not guaranteed. There was a test done by someone in the first 3rd gen breeding guide and he discovered that in some cases only 2 IVs would be inherited (with the possibilty of as low as 1). This is why everyone has been stressing the usage of "upto 3 IVs inherited" as 3 are not always inherited.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The main difference here is that this is is the 4th generation, not the 3rd. In Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, and LeafGreen, each parent still contributed IVs three times, but they could "stack up" within the same stat and thus give out fewer than 3 stats' worth of IVs. From Emerald and onward, the system was changed so that 3 different stats' worth of IVs would always get distributed.

Ah, its me again x3
Thanks for the help btw...
Now, Im in a little mess up here. I got a shiftry from GTS on level 100 and taught it extrasensory and leafstorm, which are the moves I wanted to get for my roserade. Problem is, the shiftry is female, and I cant breed it with a ditto to get a male because seedot cant learn the moves =/
Is there any way to do this without getting a new shiftry? I also have a smeargle, but Im not sure if that can work either.
Help me out? x3 thanks <3

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
Smeargle is in the Ground Egg Group, and I can't see a way of passing either Extrasensory or Leaf Storm to Budew from the Ground Egg Group. Using Shiftry is the only way of getting both moves to Budew, I'm afraid.

spenceroone3

Expert ROM hacker
could someone please tell me how you know what IV your pokemon has? Cos when i find one with 31 IVs, i'll breed it. thanks

Sakkaku Kaikou

I...seem to have a small problem with breeding. Everywhere I go, guides tell me that an Everstone on the female (or DITTO) will provide a better chance of getting a baby of the same nature. And often, it works.

For example, I wanted a Jolly SHROOMISH, and when I bred a random male SHROOMISH with my Jolly DITTO (with an Everstone), nearly every baby that thing splutted out was Jolly.

Now though, that I'm going for a Mild GROWLITHE (Male GROWLITHE + Mild DITTO with an Everstone)...it's been 20+ eggs and no sign of Mild. So, maybe it doesn't work with certain Pokémon or certain Natures + certain Pokémon?

I don't know what's going on, honestly. It's just that, at a 50% chance, you'd think I get that just a tad more often. I mean, the chance of getting 20 straight Tails when flipping a coin is 1 in 1048576. So...huh?

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
could someone please tell me how you know what IV your pokemon has? Cos when i find one with 31 IVs, i'll breed it. thanks
This link will be of major help:
http://www.serebii.net/games/characteristics.shtml
It lists what each statement on the trainer memo means as its IV's are concerned. It lists whatever is your highest IV (if 2 or more IV's share the same highest amount then it picks one at random).
You will also need an IV calculator to give you a better idea of all the IVs:
http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml
It works more reliably when you're pokemon is at a higher level (20+ should be decent enough) and you have to keep track of any EVs as well.
I don't know what's going on, honestly. It's just that, at a 50% chance, you'd think I get that just a tad more often. I mean, the chance of getting 20 straight Tails when flipping a coin is 1 in 1048576. So...huh?
It is a 50% chance but there were some tests that seemed to show certain dittos wouldn't work with certain pokemon. Different language dittos from the pokemon or different generations wouldn't work together. This was in the japanese version and when the US version came out the tests stopped.

EDIT:
Here's a toughie. Especially since it probably won't work but I gave up cuz if it does work, it's complex. As part of a breeding project, I'm tryin to breed a skarmory with 4 moves (drill Peck/Brave Bird/Whirlwind/Roost). I can get everything but Brave bird on there and was wondering if anyone knew how to get all 4 moves bred onto a skarm at once.
Yes Yes I know, 2 flying type attack moves. But this is for making trades, breeding for specific natures and then trading so whomever recieves it can choose between BB and drill peck (some people prefer BB).

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
DarkSpectrum, the only Pokémon other than Skarmory that can learn Drill Peck, Brave Bird and Roost is Dodrio, and it can't get Whirlwind in any way. Therefore, it's impossible to get all four moves onto Skarmory.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
It's in the big list on the first page:

Light Screen: Pikachu/Mareep -> Psyduck -> Dratini
OR
Chikorita/Mareep -> Slowpoke -> Dratini
OR
Pikachu/Clefairy -> Marill -> Dratini

Riodsey

I didn't understand a little thing about breeding, the moves that the pokemon learning by level-up.

For example, Rapidash is with Megahorn in the level-up learning moves, but I didn't get how you make a rapidash learn that megahorn, can someone please explain me?

(Trying to guess, both mother and father should already have megahorn?)

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
I didn't understand a little thing about breeding, the moves that the pokemon learning by level-up.

For example, Rapidash is with Megahorn in the level-up learning moves, but I didn't get how you make a rapidash learn that megahorn, can someone please explain me?

(Trying to guess, both mother and father should already have megahorn?)

in that instance, it won't work because ponyta can't learn megahorn. For rapidash to learn megahorn though you must take it to a move relearner to teach it.

In order for a baby to learn a level up move upon birth, the mother and father BOTH have to know the move and the baby must be able to learn the move by level up. If the baby cannot learn the move normally by level up it will not pass.

Sakkaku Kaikou

It is a 50% chance but there were some tests that seemed to show certain dittos wouldn't work with certain pokemon. Different language dittos from the pokemon or different generations wouldn't work together. This was in the japanese version and when the US version came out the tests stopped.

That...would make sense, then. My GROWLITHE was from Emerald, and my DITTO was...not English. So thanks. I guess I'll just catch a new DITTO and breed it with one of the baby GROWLITHES. You'd think someone would mention this elsewhere, though....

pipersgirl™

<This girl rocks!!
I have never gotten egg moves....but Its quite easy to breed moves.

Riodsey

in that instance, it won't work because ponyta can't learn megahorn. For rapidash to learn megahorn though you must take it to a move relearner to teach it.

In order for a baby to learn a level up move upon birth, the mother and father BOTH have to know the move and the baby must be able to learn the move by level up. If the baby cannot learn the move normally by level up it will not pass.

Oh, thks for that, think I'm understanding now.

Just one more thing, the pokemon of the week this week, weavile, i've searched and tryed many combinations, but I did'nt find a way to him learn pursuit and ice punch at the same time, can someone show a manner for it? Thanks.

Oh, thks for that, think I'm understanding now.

Just one more thing, the pokemon of the week this week, weavile, i've searched and tryed many combinations, but I did'nt find a way to him learn pursuit and ice punch at the same time, can someone show a manner for it? Thanks.

Use a male smeargle. Sketch Pursuit and IcePunch in a double battle (the two girls right below Floroma City are the best to do this with, will have to be done twice). Breed with a Female Sneasel and it will result in Sneasel having those two moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.