• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breeding Help/Discussion and Egg Move Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Here's something I don't seem to understand: In emerald version, I have an adamant female zubat holding everstone or a jolly female zubat holding everstone, and breed either one with a ditto not holding anything (naughty nature with flawless attack & speed), and what seems to happen is almost all of the 40 hatchings so far have been of a different nature (ie. lax, relaxed, naive, quiet, etc...) and maybe only one or two may be adamant or jolly. Is zubat somewhat of an exception of using the everstone or am I just having rare bad luck?

For now, I will be breeding a male mild zubat with flawless attack & speed with a jolly ditto holding everstone with flawless attack.

Last edited:

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
I believe (but don't quote me) that, when passing on Natures, the female can pass their Nature on (with the Everstone) when being bred with a male, but when breeding with Ditto, the Everstone/Nature passing will ONLY work with Ditto, even if it's being bred with a female.

Maybe try giving the Ditto the Everstone and see if you get a lot of Naughty Eggs? I should do a study, but I don't have that kind of time. XD

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
so far by breeding a mild male zubat with a jolly ditto holding everstone has yielded 2 out of 5 jolly offsprings which is still far better than 1 out of 40 of same nature. Looks like I'll have to keep searching for a ditto with flawless attack & speed of either adamant or jolly from my Fr/Lg games if I'm lucky.

The nice thing I noticed about breeding with dittos from a different OT is even its improved offsprings can breed with it until I get the desired IVs

C

captainj

Expert Evan said:
Here's something I don't seem to understand: In emerald version, I have an adamant female zubat holding everstone or a jolly female zubat holding everstone, and breed either one with a ditto not holding anything (naughty nature with flawless attack & speed), and what seems to happen is almost all of the 40 hatchings so far have been of a different nature (ie. lax, relaxed, naive, quiet, etc...) and maybe only one or two may be adamant or jolly. Is zubat somewhat of an exception of using the everstone or am I just having rare bad luck?

For now, I will be breeding a male mild zubat with flawless attack & speed with a jolly ditto holding everstone with flawless attack.
It's not only for Zubat. It also happened to me a few times. I am sure sometimes the trick is 100% not work. I knew it also happened to some other people but no one knew why. Just save before putting the eggs in day care. Then if the trick not works, reset and it may work the next time.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Now here's a summary of a more recent series of breedings which yielded about 90 hatchings until I got the crobat I most desired:

First, I put in the daycare a male L100 crobat that knew haze, shadow ball, aerial ace & sludge bomb with a naughty ditto with flawless attack & speed. After about 10 hatchings, I got an impish male zubat with flawless attack & speed and taught it hidden power along with its inherited TM moves since smogon recommended HP Ground or HP Fighting in its moveset guide. I therefore replaced crobat & ditto with this impish zubat along with an adamant zubat with flawless attack and holding everstone that was originally captured as L14 in altering cave. It took about 40 - 50 hatchings until I got a female adamant zubat with flawless attack & speed, but since I had that one other requirement of hidden power being either ground or fighting and it hardly did any damage to a wild whismur, I attempted to do something I thought could not be possible as I saved the game before doing so, and that was replacing the female zubat with flawless attack with this offspring that had both flawless attack & speed. To my surprise, it worked as the father and daughter seemed to get along and went on to make more eggs. Should I call this incest? Anyways, this saved me the task of having to go through another series of complicated steps to get an adamant zubat with flawless attack & speed that was not related. About 30 hatchings later and almost getting ready to call it the day, I had hatched 2 adamant offsprings with flawless attack & speed, and went along a trail where there were wild electrikes & gulpins and noticed immediately one of the offsprings was super effective against them which led me to believe its hidden power was that of a ground type.

To make certain this was true, I setup a secret base with a L29 kecleon that only knew screech and brought both zubats for the test. Sure enough, the zubat I was curious about made kecleon's color change to ground while the other made kecleon's color change to dragon (later nicknamed that zubat as DRAGONBAT, lol), so I went on to EV train the zubat with the ground HP even though it was rated as better-than-average even with its flawless attack & speed and very high HP. While it would easily evolved into golbat then crobat at the next level after giving it 10 protein & 10 carbos, and a few hondew & grepa berry to reduce its special EVs after facing the kecleon and gardevoirs. I noticed that while its hp ground seemed rather strong, its aerial ace was still more damaging to a wild intimidating mightyena probably because of STAB anyways.

After all was said and done, I was able to determine that its HP ground had a base power of 57 based on the following IVs:

30 HP
31 attack
21 defense
31 speed
0 special attack (LOL)
6 special defense

While 57 is nowhere near a 70, it is still higher than an average if hidden power can range anywhere from 30-70 as I am hopeful this crobat will help me further succeed in the battle frontier.

I had recently raised a jolly crobat with flawless attack & speed as it did not disappoint in the battle arena rounds 36-42. It only fainted to a tentacruel which heracross' earthquake was able to finish it up. Maybe HP ground with a 57 power along with a 31 attack can OHKO a tentacruel or more hopefully OHKO the likes of a jolteon, arcanine, or other pesky electric or fire or most poison types.

Having recognizing the need for either an adamant ditto from a different OT that had either flawless attack and/or speed I may start breeding for male pokemon with such traits and use them when needed. Time will tell.

C

captainj

HP ground with 57 power cannot OHKO pokemon that are weak to ground. Total power = 57 * 2 (super effective) = 114. Sludgebomb's power = 90 * 1.5 = 135 > 114. If Sludgebomb cannot OHKO Jolteon, Arcanine, etc., HP ground also cannot OHKO them.

However, 57 power is okay. Consider you were against a steel type. The strongest attack of Crobat is Aerial Ace or Fly (Fly's power =70 * 1.5(STAB) / 2 (not effective) = 52.5). HP ground does more damage than any other attacks anyway. Similarly it is also true for rock and poison types if they are not part flying and do not have levitate.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
In a recent trip to the battle tower rounds 8-14, crobat was able to do more than 50% damage with HP ground to a lanturn before it fainted to thunderbolt as heracross was able to finish it off with the more effective earthquake attack. Taking the idea of using a gardevoir for the battle arena, it took another series of hatchings until both parents had flawless IVs for at least speed & special attack which is a bit tedious at first but then it seems to catch on after awhile as the probability of inheriting the IVs gets better when both parents have the same flawless IVs.

For future breeding purposes, I intend to involve a modest male tauros that has flawless IVs for HP/Attack/Speed and knows earthquake/return/HP/IronTail to pass them on to the likes of smeargle and teddiursa on an as needed basis and will probably replace the female pokemon with the one that has more flawless IVs than the previous one.

I don't think I'll use Hidden Power as its base power as learned through crobat can vary in range and may not even be worth it after all, which makes me wonder if for Ursaring whether I should use Brick Break instead of the suggested HP Ghost since the most annoying pokemon in battle frontier are the normal types like blissey & snorlax.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
.::Escalator::. said:
Can I breed an Extreme Speed Arcanine w/ Linnone for a ES Zigzagoon?
Can I breed a False Swipe Farfetch'd w/ Altaria for a FS Swablu?
So far as I know, that cannot be possible since these moves are only available through pokemon box for these pokemon, just like Pichu would normally not be able to learn surf. You can be my guest to try breeding them to verify this.

PokeMaster JOE

Pokemon Master
What do bad eggs do exactly, i have heard rumours , thats all.?
This may seem like a noobish question, but wouldn't a level 100 and level 27 heracross have better breading results than two level 27's? And if so wouldn't the statistics be easily recognisable, allot higher, or would there be little differences until EV trained to level 100, than compared to the parent level 100?
Thanks.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
is there any other way to breed curse onto mudkip since i only have emerald. I intended for it to have an imphish nature with a moveset of curse/surf/earthquake/filler

also if i breed treecko with bagon that learnt both dragonbreath and crunch would the treecko know both or just one ? i intend my future treecko to know these two moves plus thunderpunch and leaf blade.

and thank you for your advice and help. and thanks for the lovely list shining mew!

.::Escalator::.

"GO TEAM BOOBIES!"
PokeMaster JOE said:
What do bad eggs do exactly, i have heard rumours , thats all.?
This may seem like a noobish question, but wouldn't a level 100 and level 27 heracross have better breading results than two level 27's? And if so wouldn't the statistics be easily recognisable, allot higher, or would there be little differences until EV trained to level 100, than compared to the parent level 100?
Thanks.

-When you cheat, you get a bad egg. When it hatches, it corrupts your game.

-I dont understand the question. If you mean passing on IVs to a baby Herecross, then not nessecarily. Hatch hundreds of thousands of heracross. take each one to the master breeder and him examine their IVs. Continues this until he says it's quite immpressive and has a flawless attack stat. continue onto EV training.
Use Adamant.

Dragon trainer said:
is there any other way to breed curse onto mudkip since i only have emerald. I intended for it to have an imphish nature with a moveset of curse/surf/earthquake/filler

also if i breed treecko with bagon that learnt both dragonbreath and crunch would the treecko know both or just one ? i intend my future treecko to know these two moves plus thunderpunch and leaf blade.

and thank you for your advice and help. and thanks for the lovely list shining mew!

-Male Torkoal w/Curse X Female Rhyhorn = Male Cursing Rhyhorn
Cursing Rhyhorn X Female Swampert/Marshtomp/Mudkip = Cursing Mudkip
Use Brave

-Both, but I suggest you use HP:Ice (TM) or Dragon Claw (TM) over Dragon Breath. Modest/Timid

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
i dont intend to use HP ingame and i only have emerald and IIRC rhyhorn is not in emerald so i cant use that breeding, i wanted to know whetever or not there is another breeding line for curse for cursing mudkip

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
oops .:Escalculator::. i mistake sory and thanks

yes now i can also get a rock sliding torchic and a crush clawing cyndaquil as well

Status
Not open for further replies.