• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breeding to Change the Appearance of HGSS' Egg Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think the reason why they always have a generic egg sprite is so its contents remain a mystery until it is hatched. That way, they encourage you to hatch it ASAP.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
Wow, this would be so cool ^_^ But how would the game hold all of that memory? I mean, it already has to hold all the memory for your partner poke's, how much more can it take? Lol.

Jolesy

Sparky Jolteons(:
I think the reason why they always have a generic egg sprite is so its contents remain a mystery until it is hatched. That way, they encourage you to hatch it ASAP.

Yes but usually, if you breed it yourself, you know what it is.

AyameHikaru

Alt-Reality User
Yes but usually, if you breed it yourself, you know what it is.
Haha, that depends on how, uh, special you are. :) I've got an entire box labeled 'mystery eggs' that I have bloody no idea what they are. Granted, using that glitch I can check their types, which is some help, but still... Having different egg sprites would be wonderful, IMHO.

Jolesy

Sparky Jolteons(:
They wouldn't want to limit breeding to just one player. That's why they made that Egg Swap thing in Platinum.

That is why I said usually.

hawaiian ale

zapdos master hoo ra
I think its alright we can finally see new pokemon apearences of baby form of the themeselves

ex.the notch eared pichu

* what i want to see is a bigger horn nidoran boy

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
that would take up a lot of data.If it was true then maybe they would restrict it to the johtodex pokemon.I find it interesting how they picked a johto pokemon to be different,it could have been any pokemon,but i suspect we will find out what is special about it when the movie comes out.
In FR/LG they added pokemon so I doubt they'd take away now.
But what would be awesome is if it also did something with their stats.

Calm PokeMaster

Like what?Breed Pikachu and Ninetales and get a fast Ninetales?

I know its already fast but........

Tyrant Tar

Like what?Breed Pikachu and Ninetales and get a fast Ninetales?

More like breed Pikachu and Ninetails and get a Pichu with a tuft of hair similar to Sparky or the Pichu Bro. A minor, generic alteration.

With Notch-Eared Pichu NOT evolving, I have serious doubts about this now. Why would they do that to something you could presumably breed multiples of?

XDbonsly

Bonsly lover 4 life!
People are missing the entire point here.
If this was implemented, rather than chewing up all the data they could use for other things, these cahnges will only apply to pokemon hatched with a certain egg move.
What the game would do when the egg is recieved is to check what moves the egg will have, if it has a certain egg move, then the breeding difference would appear. All breeding differances would be their own "sprite", which would stack up onto the pokmon sprite, when the stacking is complete, the sprite is formed. All breeding differences would have ot effect a different part of the body, and have different priority levels so nothing gets jumbled up. I think this would also save a little more space than re-doing every sprite.
Then again, Nintendo wouldn't be smart enough to do it in the way I meantion, and they'll just make a sprite for every possible combination.
:/

dexter

Waste of memory, that would be more then 493 Front Pokemon sprites (Because of eggs, manaphy egg, gender differences, rotom formes, shellos/gastrodon formes, giratina A/O formes, deoxys N/A/D/S formes, 18 types of Arceus's formes, castform's formes, and so much more!, shiny front sprites, back pokemon sprites, shiny back sprites, overworld sprites, out of its pokeball sprite. To much memory, that would already make about 10-20 megabytes plus.

Envelope994

People who are claiming that it would be a problem because it would require many more sprites are making a rather big mistake.

There's no reason why the "genetic differences" would have to be complete sprites. All they'd need is coordinates and sprite data for the section that gets changes. So, for instance, for notch-eared pichu, you'd only need sprite data for the small section of the ear that changes, along with the coordinates for where the added sprite goes.

If we suppose, say, 10 possible genetic differences, that would probably still be significantly less than a whole sprite worth for each pokemon. And of course, I'd imagine that ditto and the other genderless pokemon (and the legendaries, for that matter) would lack genetic variations, so there's fewer sprites required, there. And by having a set of sprite alterations, it would be easy to have multiples of them - having 10 sprite modifiers would mean a possible 2^10 or 1024 different possible appearances.

All that being said, I still doubt that this would actually happen in this generation. Maybe next generation, when there's a lot more space for extra data, but I think they're more likely to use any extra space they have to produce more locations, etc. I'd rather they add all of Hoenn to the game than add these sprite things.
;434;

if all this is true. i'd love to see pokemon with that funny ditto face.

Calm PokeMaster

;434;

if all this is true. i'd love to see pokemon with that funny ditto face.

Yeah,I remember how funny that Ditto in the anime was.

Consider a Meowth with Ditto's eyes.........

Jordy Kieto

peeps are kinda blowin this whole thing outa proportion, i think what this means is that baby pokemon will be able to a little diffeent, just like shinyness, i say baby pokemon cuz they dont allow notchy pichu to evolve, why they are making it exclusive to baby pokemon idk but based on the info we have this is the best assumption we got.....

or i could be totally off which i have a feeling i am, feel free to tear down or agree with me :)

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie
I think that the fact that the NEP can't evolve is evidence that their won't be differences due to breeding. I just think its a stretch to believe that a change this big to the games would be implemented mid generation. I may be fooled but I honestly can't say that I think anything like this will be used for HG/SS. I myself think the NEP is just a promotional type Pokemon, at least for the current gen. Also since NEP has a special move set that Pichu's cant normally have shows that it is extraordinary and that we wont be able to just "breed" for differences like that(such as a notched ear). Im not so arrogant as to say that it is impossible but i just think it highly unlikely now that we have more info on NEP.

People who are claiming that it would be a problem because it would require many more sprites are making a rather big mistake.

There's no reason why the "genetic differences" would have to be complete sprites. All they'd need is coordinates and sprite data for the section that gets changes. So, for instance, for notch-eared pichu, you'd only need sprite data for the small section of the ear that changes, along with the coordinates for where the added sprite goes.

If we suppose, say, 10 possible genetic differences, that would probably still be significantly less than a whole sprite worth for each pokemon. And of course, I'd imagine that ditto and the other genderless pokemon (and the legendaries, for that matter) would lack genetic variations, so there's fewer sprites required, there. And by having a set of sprite alterations, it would be easy to have multiples of them - having 10 sprite modifiers would mean a possible 2^10 or 1024 different possible appearances.

All that being said, I still doubt that this would actually happen in this generation. Maybe next generation, when there's a lot more space for extra data, but I think they're more likely to use any extra space they have to produce more locations, etc. I'd rather they add all of Hoenn to the game than add these sprite things.

One word to corroborate this post: Spinda.

NEPichu can't evolve, though, so probably there'll be no breeding changes this gen. Maybe on the next one? Yeah, NEP might be just their "beta testing pokémon"...

Status
Not open for further replies.