• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breeding to Change the Appearance of HGSS' Egg Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Well I think one "Realistic" Breeding change they could honestly make is getting Rid of the Basic "Green Spot" Egg. I see Them making the egg color correspond with the Baby pokemon inside.

Example: Elekid Egg= Yellow egg with Black stripes
Cyndaquil Egg= Yellowish front/Bluish Back
Etc.

Nintenfreak

Boulder Trainer
While I wouldn't mind Egg Colors based on baby's color, I don't really need something to tell me what I just bred and will hatch immediately.

Arekku_Koro

Hmm... this might just be the start of a new breeding system. Imagine the possibilitys of breeding a unique pokemon. The only thing that might make this difficult is the sprite limit.

tehcip

Well I think one "Realistic" Breeding change they could honestly make is getting Rid of the Basic "Green Spot" Egg. I see Them making the egg color correspond with the Baby pokemon inside.

Etc.

this would definetly be better and easier than filling the games memory with unnecesary sprites for the same pokemon
arent ivs enough xD

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I like the idea of colored eggs. Even if they have no benefit, it sould still make breding more fun.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I like the idea of colored eggs. Even if they have no benefit, it sould still make breding more fun.

This. I like this idea

Honestly when you look at it from a competitive view point, different sprites offer nothing. While this could be a cool thing for CONTEST, the main focus is battling, which this would do nothing to effect. It would be like a lame version of shinyness. Yes its cool, but it's novelty will wear off in a while. I like the idea, but I dont think its practical

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I see no reason why this wouldn't be implemented. It's a cute little addition that wouldn't take long to put in, and really would stand out because it makes Pokemon unique, and it makes being a "Pokemon breeder" into something like dog breeding.
0_o I just realised what the whole point of this is: So far there are basically four(ish) things you can be in the pokemon world - a Trainer, a Coordinator, a Watcher or a Breeder. So far, practically all games incorporate training, the third and fourth gens incorporate contests and Snap was all about being a watcher (kind of). What they haven't had since it was introduced in G/S is a game centred around breeding. I think that is the reason they're introducing this, and the fact that it is the whole concept's tenth anniversary, as I said earlier.

Starrbuck06

Different coloured eggs for different types of Pokemon, like spotted green eggs for grass, spotted blue for water maybe, but why waste loads of game memory on additional differences for Pokemon, seems a waste.

Aielyn

Having eggs take colours should be extremely easy - just set them up so that the pallette is the same as that of the pokemon that will hatch from it. That way, it doesn't even have to require different sprites for different eggs, just the one.

But then, the whole "variations of pokemon" idea is really what has captured my interest, not just variations of eggs.

wichu

But then there's the problem of different Pokémon having different numbers of colours in their palettes (even different numbers of shades for each colour), so that wouldn't always work. If they did that, you'd end up with some really bad-looking eggs...

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
IMO, I think this is a cool idea. Coloured eggs would solve the 'I don't know what this is!' problems and I would be more inspired to hatch unwanted eggs. And I don't think this would take that much memory at all. I think we forget the capabilities of computers. The DS cards have more memory than the GBA cards, it's just smaller. Memory is getting cheeper and cheeper and cheeper and, for computers, it's a non-issue. I think they could put even MORE onto these little DS cards than what they've been doing. But then again, I'm not a computer expert, I just read random things.

XyronTheFalcon

I'm Back? YAY!

Etc.

This.

It always irritates me to see the same faceless eggs every single time.

This new addition? I'm excited to hear more about it. As a pretty hardcore breeder, this new addition is just icing on the cake.

Aielyn

But then there's the problem of different Pokémon having different numbers of colours in their palettes (even different numbers of shades for each colour), so that wouldn't always work. If they did that, you'd end up with some really bad-looking eggs...

I'm assuming that the game does a sort of colour-by-number method of handling sprites - that is, it replaces colour A with colour B when making a pokemon Shiny.

What this means is that it's a defined set of, say, GIF colours, and the shiny just uses a different set of GIF colours (GIFs store image information by numbering each pixel, and then having a colour alotted to each number - much as how, i QBasic, if you tell it to colour the screen "2", it makes the screen, if I recall correctly, red - and 10 is dark red, and 9 is grey). I'm assuming that this is how pokemon games change the colours of pokemon for Shinyness (it's how I understand the phrase "palette swap", at least - indeed, in QBasic, there's even a command to perform a palette swap).

All that would happen is that the egg would be given colours matching the normal palette of the pokemon inside. If there's any issue with what the egg looks like, it would be just as easy to have predefined palettes for each family of pokemon, to ensure colour-consistency. So, for instance, perhaps the eggs are done so that you get two differently-coloured spots on a surface of a third colour - each of which would have two or three tones. Perhaps the Pikachu line would have eggs with a pikachu-yellow base colour, half the spots black, and the other half Raichu-orange. But if it were the Wailmer line, perhaps it's a cream colour egg (Wailmer's bottom half), with half the spots dark blue (Wailmer's top half) and the other half lighter blue (Wailord's top half).

It's simple, requiring at most a palette swap between eggs, thus requiring only a single egg sprite, and maybe 200 sets (I assume that's the approximate number of unique pokemon families) of maybe nine defined colours (which means RGB data of nine colours).

EDIT: To demonstrate what I mean, I've grabbed a picture of a pokemon egg off Bulbapedia, and edited its palette to fit the Pikachu line. Here's the original and the Pikachu version:
DPEgg.png
DPEgg_Pika.png

Obviously, not a perfect example, since I just did a really quick mockup using an existing egg sprite - the egg sprite would be designed specifically to suit this method.

Last edited:

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Well at this point the Breeding changes could be anything, we really dont know but I think if a pokemon is to be "Unique" depending on it's parents there should only be certain pokemon with really stirct requirments, I know people will say "That's Not Fair!" But people say alot of things, so get over it.

I feel a set Number of Pokemon with 1 or 2 addition sprites would add a bit bit more to breeding as it's a part of the game most of us participate in

and Example of what I might mean is

Ok if you want a Lucario with Agility, you can breed it with a Rapidash (weird?)

So you get a Male Rapidash and a Female Lucario they Do the Do and you get a Riolu egg

Now once that Rilou evolves into a Lucario it could have like Flames coming from it's Ankles and wrists, There you have "Flare Lucario"

Though that might not be the best example, something like that would only be limited to a few species of Pokemon as not to clutter the game

Status
Not open for further replies.