• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breeding to Change the Appearance of HGSS' Egg Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
I'm down with the little variations. Assuming that they keep them limited, it doesn't take up that much space on a DS Card, anyway.

Besides, Kanto has pretty much been confirmed as returning, anyway, so quit worrying about that.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
It sounds like an interesting feature, but there might not be enough memory to do it, given that all the Pokemon can follow you.

Unless they're subtle and with certain pairs of Pokemon, then it's prolly not going to be in.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
It sounds like an interesting feature, but there might not be enough memory to do it.

There's more than enough....

I don't think this is true though.
And that Jagged-Ear-Pichu is unique and won't even be able to evolve or some crap.

Muno

What if it's not EVERY pokemon that's different by breeding it with a different pokemon, but a select few?
I can't imagine ditto's form changing that much from breeding it, and you can't breed any of the legendaries.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
There's more than enough....

I don't think this is true though.
And that Jagged-Ear-Pichu is unique and won't even be able to evolve or some crap.

I'm assuming that, hypothetically speaking, if all the Pokemon that can breed get variations then it wouldn't be enough. Then again, what do I know about video game programming?

This feature is really unlikely to happen, because it would take up to much room, and their would be no real point. In my opinion the Notch-Ear Pichu will just be a one off, as she is just a star of a movie, and her appearance in the movie, will bound to boost sales on the japanese market.

If this feature was implemented, then each Pokemon excluding legendaries would have over 20 sprites each, because of the egg groups, so we would be looking at nearly 10,000 sprites, and not forgetting shiny pokemon, so it would be nearly 20,000 sprites, so somehow, I don't think they have the memory cappacity for this amount of sprites.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I don't like this type of a feature.

next thing you know, features will effect the stats as well.

I don't think the feature could happen.

the soul of silver

The Hero of Johto
i dont think that would ever happen. pokemon sprites already take up most of the memory in pokemon games. if this were to happen, there would be no room for the rest of the game besides sprites because of the huge amount of memory needed. there is not enough room on a game card for all those sprites.

lets do the math.
there are 493 pokemon.
each pokemon has a shiny variation
91 pokemon have gender differences

overall there are 1077 pokemon sprites in the game

if we have these variations you are talking about it may add thousands of more sprites. although these variations would make the game more realistic, it would also make it so there is not enough room to fit the rest of the game thus to make the game fit, they would have to downgrade the graphics severely and lower the content of the game. would losing game content sound good to you?

Tyrant Tar

Does anyone actually know how much space is used in these Pokemon games? Platinum added back animations, new forms, Distortion World, the Battle Frontier, boss Trainer animations, and a bunch of other stuff to the DP template. Adding a bunch of new sprites to a remake of a game that came out a decade ago doesn't sound that far fetched.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
i dont think that would ever happen. pokemon sprites already take up most of the memory in pokemon games. if this were to happen, there would be no room for the rest of the game besides sprites because of the huge amount of memory needed. there is not enough room on a game card for all those sprites.

lets do the math.
there are 493 pokemon.

You seem to forget that legendaries can't breed (except for Phione, but only with Ditto) and Pokemon with no gender can only breed with Ditto iirc.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
Personally, I think something of this scale WILL be possible but not until the 6th or 7th generation, when memory won't really be an issue due to the new tech we're working with.

Instead of looking at how it is completely not possible now, why not look at how interesting it will be in the future?? Instead of having to make any new generation after the 5th, creators will simply mix and mash certain pokemon features (and possible types) with others. Imagine....

Arcanine + Luxray = Some kind of fire//electric beast!!

Nintenfreak

Boulder Trainer
so trading the mutant breeds to Platinum will set them back to normal sprites?

Not likely. The data for the alternate appearance would be stored somewhere in the Pokémon, maybe a Trashbyte. Therefore, it would not lose its form when traded.

The notched-ear Pichu probably just fit into the story. Remember that Richie had a different looking Pikachu as early as the Orange Islands(?) story arc, and since sprites don't take up that much space, it's likely that if they were gonna do varying sprites they would have done it last gen at least

Unlikely. Last generation was using a much smaller card and didn't have the same ability to store data like Generation 4 does. I can't remember if there were trashbytes, but I know for a fact that they were reset on transfer, so they may not have even existed.

It would take up to much space, why are we still discussing this?

No it wouldn't. The Sprites are compressed.

this would be cool, but really as everyone has said it would take up A LOT of spece, and the more space the take up for pointless aesthetics, the lass likely Kanto will be in...

...REALLY? That's not... even... likely.

tons of Pokemon with tons of combination's with tons of animated sprites

this is not true.

Yeah, because EVERY combination will do something, not just some like Wii Will Rock U said.

joerachi

The Blazing Tempest
lets do the math.
there are 493 pokemon.

Dont forget about the 4 billion spinda's

Black/Light

No it doesn't, it just means more memory wasted on a useless feature.
Which only a few of us would actually use.

Well, if they are willing to do the whole over world thing for EVERY pokemon and their shiny forms (I remember people thinking it would be limited to only some amount of pokemon or starters because of "OMG, SPACEZ") than I don't see why they couldn't give CERTAIN pokemon a bred-feature thing like NE-Pichu.

We know this isn't going to effect ever pokemon/ breedable pokemon.
We know it's limited to certain pokemon but "deep". Thats all we can go off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.