• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I'm not expecting them to include any post-Gen 4 Pokemon in this game, Sylveon included.
I believe this too. They clearly stated that they want to stick only with Pokemon from the first four generations. These remakes' Pokemon availability will be nothing but more self-contained compared to HG/SS or OR/AS.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I believe this too. They clearly stated that they want to stick only with Pokemon from the first four generations. These remakes' Pokemon availability will be nothing but more self-contained compared to HG/SS or OR/AS.
Which sucks.
What I loved most about previous remakes (like the perfect ORAS) is that u can use new Pokemon in an old region.
So we just need to pretend that post gen 4 Pokemon dont exist in this universe?
Not being able to find in the wild post gen 4 Pokemon in Sinnoh makes sense, but it should make sense to be able to transfer them via trades to Sinnoh or in the post game.
But ofc it wont happen and we wont be able to access to any post gen 4 Pokemon..

Vini310

This "faithful remake" term made me realize one thing:
No Pokémon remake takes advantage of the expanded roster.
In FRLG: Gen 2 and 3 Pokémon are only avaliable in the post-game, you need the National Pokédex to get them, to the extreme that the game will physically prevent you from getting them if you don't have the NatDex (you can't even trade with RS without having the right key items)
In HGSS: Gen 3 and 4 Pokémon can be obtained, but only in the post-game, via the "Hoenn Sound" and "Sinnoh Sound" thing, and the options are limited. Outside of that, everyone has the same roster as before. Morty still uses two Gastly, one Haunter and one Gengar when he could very well use Gastly, Misdravus, Duskull and Drifloon
In ORAS: Gens 4-6 are Pokémon are in the game, but require transferring/trading to obtain...
Rather than remaking the roster from scratch, they treat the new Pokémon as nothing more than bonuses, not helped by the "you can just transfer" mindset encouraging this practice. And if it's to treat the Pokémon this way, don't bother programming then into the game at all. That's what other Mon games do, and it works for them, why it wouldn't work for Pokémon?

PCN24454

This "faithful remake" term made me realize one thing:
No Pokémon remake takes advantage of the expanded roster.
In FRLG: Gen 2 and 3 Pokémon are only avaliable in the post-game, you need the National Pokédex to get them, to the extreme that the game will physically prevent you from getting them if you don't have the NatDex (you can't even trade with RS without having the right key items)
In HGSS: Gen 3 and 4 Pokémon can be obtained, but only in the post-game, via the "Hoenn Sound" and "Sinnoh Sound" thing, and the options are limited. Outside of that, everyone has the same roster as before. Morty still uses two Gastly, one Haunter and one Gengar when he could very well use Gastly, Misdravus, Duskull and Drifloon
In ORAS: Gens 4-6 are Pokémon are in the game, but require transferring/trading to obtain...
Rather than remaking the roster from scratch, they treat the new Pokémon as nothing more than bonuses, not helped by the "you can just transfer" mindset encouraging this practice. And if it's to treat the Pokémon this way, don't bother programming then into the game at all. That's what other Mon games do, and it works for them, why it wouldn't work for Pokémon?
That’s fine. They have updated graphics and mechanics regardless.

It would break the immersion to catch too many later gen Pokémon. It was just jarring that FRLG outright prevented you from evolving your Pokémon even if they met the requirements.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
That’s fine. They have updated graphics and mechanics regardless.

It would break the immersion to catch too many later gen Pokémon. It was just jarring that FRLG outright prevented you from evolving your Pokémon even if they met the requirements.
Every remake since then added a couple of the cross Gen evolutions. ORAS made Glacia more interesting to battle since she got rid of the Sealeo for Froslass. Yeah her first encounter team was repetitive but the Froslass both had pretty good moves and different strategies. Sealeo was sort of an odd choice in the bigger picture to have on an E4 team as it was easily taken out by several types.

D

Deleted member 384931

Do you expect something new ? I mean any remake had something "new". Soul silver had walking pokemon, ORAS had new Mega Evolutions, Fire red had other things.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Do you expect something new ? I mean any remake had something "new". Soul silver had walking pokemon, ORAS had new Mega Evolutions, Fire red had other things.
The Grand Underground is sort of new with Pokémon Hideaways being something completely new, Amity Square allows you to make Poffins with your Pokémon, and HMs being a Poketch app functions like the Ride Pokémon and Flying Taxi. Contests seem to be different as well.

D

Deleted member 384931

The Grand Underground is sort of new with Pokémon Hideaways being something completely new, Amity Square allows you to make Poffins with your Pokémon, and HMs being a Poketch app functions like the Ride Pokémon and Flying Taxi. Contests seem to be different as well.
Yeah depends on how you view it. It are updates of old gimmicks.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
With Amity Square, could I give Dialga Poffins and have him walk around with me? Not sure how that would work with the 3D chibi graphics, but you could walk with legendaries in original BD/SP.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
True, but with HGSS there are still ways around using the exact same Pokémon from the original Gen 2 games like the Pokéwalker and trading with Gen 4 games immediately (unlike the restrictions in FRLG)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Continuing to say that, won't make it happen. So lets stop with it. Ok?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Do you think marks will come back in BDSP? I started liking them more than shinies since they made each pokemon feel more unique, almost like the marks either reminded you of the day you met or showed an aspect of their personality, so I'd love the chance to go mark hunting again in Sinnoh

Also, I really hate to bring this up, but I'm wondering if anyone in the US who preordered physical copies will actually get them on the release day due to the whole situation with the cargo ships stuck in the ocean.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Candice & Volkner being shown with Abomasnow and Luxray respectively makes me fear that they’re using the DP teams. Volkner & Flint had some god awful teams in DP so I hope they actually take advantage of the full Sinnoh Dex

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
yep i’m definitely taking advantage of Dawn’s Platinum outfit

also

CHIBI CYRUS

I’M DYING HERE