• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I never owned Platinum, though my younger brother had it so I watched him play often.

I had both Diamond and Pearl, though not at the same time. I had Diamond in 2007 and Pearl between 2008 and 2010. I have no idea what happened to my copy of Diamond. lol
i lost my copy of Pearl & had to sell my copy of Diamond. I still have Platinum, but I’m still looking forward to the games because they’re enough of a new experience for me. Plus, there were some aspects of the original games I liked more than Platinum, so I’m glad I’ll be able to revisit these titles again

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
i lost my copy of Pearl & had to sell my copy of Diamond. I still have Platinum, but I’m still looking forward to the games because they’re enough of a new experience for me. Plus, there were some aspects of the original games I liked more than Platinum, so I’m glad I’ll be able to revisit these titles again
Which aspects?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I never owned Platinum, though my younger brother had it so I watched him play often.

I had both Diamond and Pearl, though not at the same time. I had Diamond in 2007 and Pearl between 2008 and 2010. I have no idea what happened to my copy of Diamond. lol
While I now have a copy of all the Gen IV games, I only acquired them in the last year or so. I’ve only played part of Diamond and completed Platinum.

I’m looking forward to playing these, and letting my kids experience the games. I don’t really trust letting my kids play these hard-to-replace cartridges on a regular basis (and they’ll have to pry Platinum out of my cold, dead hands), so they’ll have to live with the Switch-based versions of the game.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Maybe I'm just easier to please than some, but I'm still excited for these games
I agree with you here. I had played FFX on my PS2 way back when it first came out so when I heard it got remastered I bought it again to play on the PS4 as a nostalgia trip. I view that the worst case scenario for BDSP is that these games are going to be an awesome nostalgia trip for me again. Best case is that it will be something new and exciting. I look forward to seeing what is available and not available in these games.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
As someone who for the past decade-plus has been pretty hard on the "pokemon is declining to be an easily repackaged jack of all trades made to appeal to the lowest common denominator" train in terms of how the games overall quality is from entry to entry, I do have to say that a lot of the hand-wringing related to the newly appreciated information on the remakes of Diamond and Pearl do equate to mostly handwringing. I'm waiting until I play the game myself to state the negatives but a lot of what the core issues are either A) stand to be patched out upon release, B) were to be expected due to trends present in the past releases of the franchise, or C) are ultimately nitpicks that truly don't detract from the core experiences one expect from a pokemon game. This is not me saying before the game comes out that they are good games.

I bring this up in the speculation thread because I do ponder if the development cycle for this game may have been botched in some way(s) on the creative end because of things that were present in both information revealed and unrevealed. A lot of the additions to the games feel half-baked in a way, wherein the idea feels as though two different ideas were presented within the boardroom in decision making and rather than decide any one way, they split the difference right down the middle. It overall feels fairly disjointed and I wonder if these aspects will affect my overall enjoyment with the game.

Pokemon Power

I just had a thought related to both Legends and the datamine.
Maybe the reason there are no Alolan and Galarian forms in the base game is because they plan to add them alongside Hisuian forms in a patch, since they probably don't want leakers to see which Pokemon got them two months before release.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Sure you can. Come up with some reason for Power Spots to have developed beyond the borders of Galar, and suddenly Dynamax is perfectly capable of occurring there. That’s the only roadblock at play here.

G-Max Melmetal’s Pokédex entry already implies the plausibility of this scenario, anyway.
I remember one plausible explanation I came up with for Sinnoh to have Max Raid Battles is for Team Galactic's science and/or engineering teams to get ahold of Galar Particles, either smuggled in or synthesized, and create an artificial Power Spot in this way. One could say that it's not perfect so there may be restrictions, and they've only ever made one, but that alone could open the floodgates.

We've had precedent of these things in the past. The fact that a Mega Stone exists for Mewtwo, an artificially created Pokémon, implies the Mega Stone was also artificially created, and thus people are able to make their own. While not a generational gimmick, Type: Null, and by extension Silvally, were specific to Alola when they debuted because they were created within Aether Foundation, but the recipe to create them got leaked to other regions, and someone in Galar was able to create a Type: Null, with further possibilities down the line of them showing up in other regions. Hence, the possibilities are always open for Dynamax/Gigantamax to pervade to other regions even if they say they're specific to Galar.

You can look to the real world for these same kinds of people, although not necessarily evil or questionable. Artificial rubies, diamonds, and sapphires have since been made such that as long as you don't care about their place of origin, you don't even have to mine them anymore. If you have a smartphone or a touch screen tablet, chances are your screen is made of artificial sapphire.

Nintendo is really missing out by not putting a GBA and DS emulator on the Switch and then releasing slightly updated Switch virtual console editions of Gens 1-4 with support for Home.
Nintendo can put emulators of the GBA and DS. Putting Pokémon games on them, however, is another matter because Nintendo doesn't have complete control over the Pokémon franchise. They need to ask permission from The Pokémon Company first. (This is why some Nintendo compilations, like Nintendo Land and the Nintendo version of Monopoly, don't have any Pokémon characters in them, not even Pikachu. The rights are different and more complicated.)

Interesting, and in fact I believe the games will actually be 10.5GB, so this could be very true.
The Nintendo eShop estimates them to be roughly this size. It was of concern to me because I currently only have about 13 gigabytes left in my MicroSD card I have in there. I bought a larger one since, but I need to clear up space on my computer to transfer the information because my computer doesn't have much free space left either...

Im getting them because my dog chewed up my platinum cartridge and im too lazy to look for my pearl version xD. Plus I don't want to start a new file on either of them anyways.
Kind of hard to start a new file on a chewed-up cartridge.

Then again, there was that Tetris cartridge that a soldier in the Gulf War lost out in the desert, got recovered many years later, and continues to work. On the hardware side, all of those photos of Wii Remotes embedded into TVs and walls show the large items destroyed but the Wii Remotes perfectly intact. Joy-con joysticks aside, Nintendo still rivals Tonka in toughness.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Can anyone tell me what the version exclusives are? Is it the same as DP?
Currently known version exclusives for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Brilliant Diamond

Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Ho-Oh
Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Shining Pearl

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Lugia
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia

Version exclusives for the original games

Seel
Dewgong
Scyther
Scizor
Murkrow
Honchkrow
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Poochyena
Mightyena
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Kecleon
Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Slowpoke
Slowbro
Slowking
Pinsir
Misdreavus
Mismagius
Houndour
Houndoom
Stantler
Spheal
Sealeo
Walrein
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia

Note: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ho-Oh, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Lugia were not version exclusives in the original games.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

Brilliant Diamond

Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Shining Pearl

Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia

Seel
Dewgong
Scyther
Scizor
Murkrow
Honchkrow
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Poochyena
Mightyena
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Kecleon
Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Slowpoke
Slowbro
Slowking
Pinsir
Misdreavus
Mismagius
Houndour
Houndoom
Stantler
Spheal
Sealeo
Walrein
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia
Wouldn’t be surprised if this list is completely unchanged from the originals. Expecting some Legendaries in Ramanas Park (formerly Pal Park) to be version exclusives as well, as that’s usually been a trend with most games lately that have previous-gen Legendaries available.

Silcoon (Diamond) and Cascoon (Pearl) are also version exclusives for wild encounters only, as you can still have Wurmple evolve into either.

Last edited:

Nave

Brilliant Diamond

Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Shining Pearl

Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia

Seel
Dewgong
Scyther
Scizor
Murkrow
Honchkrow
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Poochyena
Mightyena
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Kecleon
Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Slowpoke
Slowbro
Slowking
Pinsir
Misdreavus
Mismagius
Houndour
Houndoom
Stantler
Spheal
Sealeo
Walrein
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia
Hmm, Brilliant Diamond looks quite a bit better.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

Brilliant Diamond

Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Shining Pearl

Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia

Seel
Dewgong
Scyther
Scizor
Murkrow
Honchkrow
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Poochyena
Mightyena
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Kecleon
Cranidos
Rampardos
Stunky
Skuntank
Dialga

Slowpoke
Slowbro
Slowking
Pinsir
Misdreavus
Mismagius
Houndour
Houndoom
Stantler
Spheal
Sealeo
Walrein
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Glameow
Purugly
Palkia

The exclusives are the same. The only thing added were:
- Mime Jr./Mr. Mime (Brilliant Diamond)
- Bonsly/Sudowoodo (Shining Pearl)

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
The exclusives are the same. The only thing added were:
- Mime Jr./Mr. Mime (Brilliant Diamond)
- Bonsly/Sudowoodo (Shining Pearl)
Interesting that they are now completely version exclusives because in the originals, one of the two was found on routes 209/210 in one version and the Trophy Garden in the other. Routes 209 and 210 had Mime Jr. in Diamond and Bonsly in Pearl, while the one not found there can be found in Trophy Garden. Routes 218 and 222 have Mr. Mime in Diamond, and routes 214 and 221 have Sudowoodo in Pearl, without a counterpart encounter in the other version.

Vini310

One day, I will write a review of BDSP, in good faith of course, pointing out what I believe to be the Ws and Ls.
Now the real question is which one should I pick first when I get the Switch: BDSP or LA?

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
One day, I will write a review of BDSP, in good faith of course, pointing out what I believe to be the Ws and Ls.
Now the real question is which one should I pick first when I get the Switch: BDSP or LA?
Buy both at the same time.