• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Well, I’m never preordering from Best Buy ever again. I’ve been checking my copy of Brilliant Diamond every several hours to see when it’ll arrive and if I should just buy another copy today, but it just says that the package will be shipped today. I can’t even track it since UPS can’t locate the tracking number.

I just don’t understand why I’m having this problem. Yeah Best Buy doesn’t have expedited shipping or guaranteed same day delivery, but when I preordered Pokémon Sword I got it the night of its release day, so I thought I’d get Brilliant Diamond today with no problem. This time, however, I can’t even get so much as a delivery date. I wouldn’t mind so much if I could at least track the package to see how long of a wait it’d be, but I can’t even do that!!!

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Well I just picked up my copy from GameSpot a few minutes ago during my lunch break. Can't wait until after work :)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
That's the thing with Pokémon remakes: they don't fix all the problems the original games had. Some are made slightly better (but not fixed) and others aren't fixed at all.
This is one instance of the former.

Which is an issue. They really need a philosophy shift when it comes to the remakes. I don't think there are many people that want these games to be so religiously faithful to the originals that they bring back the problems the originals have. That's not how nostalgia works. Generally when you're nostalgic for something you either want to or even subconsciously do remember the good things about it and not the bad things. Trudging up the bad parts ruins those positive memories.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Which is an issue. They really need a philosophy shift when it comes to the remakes. I don't think there are many people that want these games to be so religiously faithful to the originals that they bring back the problems the originals have. That's not how nostalgia works. Generally when you're nostalgic for something you either want to or even subconsciously do remember the good things about it and not the bad things. Trudging up the bad parts ruins those positive memories.
I've always seen remakes as having fixed a lot of the issues of the originals. Just having them exist in the latest generation of games immediately adds all the QOL improvements that that generation brings.

For example, FR & LG had improved graphics (at least at the time), and added a large post-game which was one of RBY's biggest flaws. It added all the features Gen 3 invented such as natures and abilities, etc. HG & SS added the missing Safari Zone. ORAS brought Hoenn into full 3d, and added the amazing DexNav which I can't believe didn't become a staple of all the games after that point. It also gave Primal Formes & Mega Forms to several Gen 3 (and beyond) Pokemon. To me, the remakes have always been huge improvements from the originals.

But watching people play BDSP on Twitch, these remakes are truly bare. It's almost carbon copies of the originals. At a minimum I'd have expected them to add new Gigantamax forms to Gen 4 Pokemon, but it looks like Dynamax doesn't even happen in these games (am I wrong about that?). I am very very curious to know, as you put it, GameFreak's philosophy behind these remakes because it's so exactly same as the originals that I'm pretty astonished. Why do these games need to exist?? The only improvement I can see (besides the great graphics) is the Underground expansion including National Dex Pokemon, but is that really enough?

Sham

The Guardian of War
One thing that is confusing the heck out of me is the question of why were the picky and choosy about what they decided to be faithful with. Keeping Gym leaders/Elite Four's original teams , removing unlimited TM's, excluding Pokemon post generation 4 but kept things like the exp being baked in despite it not being in the original.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But watching people play BDSP on Twitch, these remakes are truly bare. It's almost carbon copies of the originals. At a minimum I'd have expected them to add new Gigantamax forms to Gen 4 Pokemon, but it looks like Dynamax doesn't even happen in these games (am I wrong about that?). I am very very curious to know, as you put it, GameFreak's philosophy behind these remakes because it's so exactly same as the originals that I'm pretty astonished. Why do these games need to exist?? The only improvement I can see (besides the great graphics) is the Underground expansion including National Dex Pokemon, but is that really enough?

Nope, there's basically nothing. No Dynamax, no Mega Evolution, no regional variants, they don't even have any 5th-8th gen Pokemon (not even Sylveon)! There is literally no Pokemon in this game (aside from I think there might have been evidence of 1 unreleased mythical, but I haven't seen any confirmation on that) that didn't exist in Platinum. And beyond that, what's been marketed in the pre-release seems to be the entirety of what these games have to offer that are new to these versions.

Yes, it truly is a carbon copy to a ridiculous degree. At this point I'm wondering why in Arceus' name they didn't just port the originals and call it a day. Surely that would've been much cheaper for them than reinventing the wheel to make it almost exactly like the originals?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Nope, there's basically nothing. No Dynamax, no Mega Evolution, no regional variants, they don't even have any 5th-8th gen Pokemon (not even Sylveon)! There is literally no Pokemon in this game (aside from I think there might have been evidence of 1 unreleased mythical, but I haven't seen any confirmation on that) that didn't exist in Platinum. And beyond that, what's been marketed in the pre-release seems to be the entirety of what these games have to offer that are new to these versions.

Yes, it truly is a carbon copy to a ridiculous degree. At this point I'm wondering why in Arceus' name they didn't just port the originals and call it a day. Surely that would've been much cheaper for them than reinventing the wheel to make it almost exactly like the originals?
I fully agree
But I still enjoy them for what they r

Sham

The Guardian of War

I’m also kinda wondering why did it take this game (assumingly) close to two years to create when arguably no time what put towards the story and I’m assuming graphics and animation wise it was less of a task creating compared to SWSH.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Well, I’m never preordering from Best Buy ever again. I’ve been checking my copy of Brilliant Diamond every several hours to see when it’ll arrive and if I should just buy another copy today, but it just says that the package will be shipped today. I can’t even track it since UPS can’t locate the tracking number.

I just don’t understand why I’m having this problem. Yeah Best Buy doesn’t have expedited shipping or guaranteed same day delivery, but when I preordered Pokémon Sword I got it the night of its release day, so I thought I’d get Brilliant Diamond today with no problem. This time, however, I can’t even get so much as a delivery date. I wouldn’t mind so much if I could at least track the package to see how long of a wait it’d be, but I can’t even do that!!!
Looks like there might be a lot of people buying the game through online shopping.

That reminds me of when i bought my current phone from a local store. It took 13 days just for the entire mail system to process and receive my order, even more for them to finally get a driver to deliver it. So much for living nearby to the mailservices.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Does anyone know how about these questions

-Does commander Mars still have a her underleveled Purugly during the Valley Windworks mission (It isn't supposed to be a purugly unless it is level 37)

-How much of the underground for fossils and elemental stones + grand underground is accessible without a subscription?

-Are the movesets including starters limited to the Diamond and Pearl or Platinum movesets or is it a mixed bag?

EDIT: I just looked at Cynthia's 3d model from the final battle and her full sized model is so sexy. Really hot for words.
Regarding Mars, yes, she carries a Level 16 Purugly.

The movesets for Pokémon are beyond Platinum. For instance, Pachirisu learns Electro Ball by leveling up, which debuted in Generation V; and Turtwig learns Leafage by leveling up, which debuted in Generation VII.

Without a Nintendo Switch Online subscription, you could do single-player and local multiplayer stuff with Grand Underground. You should be able to dig stuff up there by yourself.

Pretty often, if the reason why UPS has no tracking number, it's because whoever was in charge of delivering your package didn't fill out the forms correctly. Considering all of the parcel delivery services right now are severely backed up, between the pandemic encouraging people to stay home and buy online, it being the holiday seasons, supply shortages due to cargo ships being unable to upload encouraging people to do holiday shopping early, and every parcel delivery service being understaffed, packages are going to take longer to arrive than normal.

When I was working at Goodwill, we received a lot of vinyl records, right around when the renewal craze for vinyl records was growing. Oftentimes, these vinyls were damaged, as people tend not to keep them in a way that preserves them well. The result was that a lot of the music had pops, scratches, and skips when played, but it seems we had a lot of college-age people and slightly older coming in and buying them because they felt these were part of the charm. Similarly, John Kricfalusi, creator of The Ren & Stimpy Show, back before he was known to engage in sexual harassment, was an outspoken critic of digital restoration of older works, particularly film and television, as he felt that if they were degraded, they should be kept that way.

It make me realize that, no, sometimes what other people see as flaws in the original work become part of its charms to these most dedicated fans. For them, the flaws become part of the nostalgia, and taking them away takes away from their magic. I don't know how many of them there are for the original Sinnoh games, but I have seen people complaining elsewhere about not getting to have HM slaves or being able to access the PC from anywhere.

Vini310

It's amazing how the popular opinion in Pokémon changes:
2019: Dymanax and Gigantamax are horrible and unbalanced! Such a lame gimmick
2021: Why doesn't BDSP has Dynamax/Gigantamax?
Part of revisiting stuff from your childhood means seeing its flaws (or what you perceive as flaws). I guess it's for this reason that the glitches in Gen 1 weren't fixed in the Virtual Console re-release.
And that's the reason I prefer Legends: going by the Legends route allows them to be much more wild when it comes to changes.
Will Legeds: Arceus replace BDSP? Maybe yes.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I am so glad the trainers' movesets have been updated. It brings a whole new experience!

I did not see that Bulldoze coming. lol It took out my Piplup in one hit!

Roark was painfully easy to beat in the original games, but this time I got my ass kicked. Ended up winning in a rematch. This is the type of remake I've been waiting for.

Pokemon Power

It's amazing how the popular opinion in Pokémon changes:
2019: Dymanax and Gigantamax are horrible and unbalanced! Such a lame gimmick
2021: Why doesn't BDSP has Dynamax/Gigantamax?

Part of revisiting stuff from your childhood means seeing its flaws (or what you perceive as flaws). I guess it's for this reason that the glitches in Gen 1 weren't fixed in the Virtual Console re-release.
And that's the reason I prefer Legends: going by the Legends route allows them to be much more wild when it comes to changes.
Will Legeds: Arceus replace BDSP? Maybe yes.
I think they made it firmly clear that Sword and Shield are the definitive Gen. 8 games, which is probably why you can only have your Pokemon Gigantamax there. Speaking of, there's a big question that I believe we should all start thinking about. When connectivity with Pokemon Home becomes available in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, will Sword and Shield be updated so that you bring all the currently missing Gen. 1 through 4 Pokemon over, due to them being catchable in BD/SP?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think they made it firmly clear that Sword and Shield are the definitive Gen. 8 games, which is probably why you can only have your Pokemon Gigantamax there. Speaking of, there's a big question that I believe we should all start thinking about. When connectivity with Pokemon Home becomes available in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, will Sword and Shield be updated so that you bring all the currently missing Gen. 1 through 4 Pokemon over, due to them being catchable in BD/SP?

Probably not. The models in BDSP aren't quite the same with the chibi artstyle so they'd have to redesign them to fit SwSh's artstyle instead of just using BDSP's.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Roark was easy af as usual, demolished him with Monferno like I easily did in Platinum.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Regarding people wanting Dynamax in Sinnoh, how can it can really be included without making sweeping changes to Sinnoh’s lore (and no, using Dialga/Palkia is not a “get out of jail for free card”). Its lore heavily shackles it to Galar right down to that only it occurs in certain places, ham-fisting Power Spots in the Gyms and Pokemon League make it seem a bit forced.

The remakes did resolve the issue the large amount of HMs can make navigating Sinnoh a pain.