• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Akashin

To say they don't have an easy way isn't necessarily true. They could simply remove fairy type, reset typings back to gen 4 and do it that way. Obviously that kind of move wouldn't sit well with the vast majority but it would work. And would also mean less programming with the type interactions.
And whilst I'd like the return of non fairy Togekiss, I would like to see as many pokemon included as possible.
You and I have different definitions of what constitutes a simple change.

In any case, as Autobot N noted, we already know Fairy is still a type in this game.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
You and I have different definitions of what constitutes a simple change.

In any case, as Autobot N noted, we already know Fairy is still a type in this game.
It wouldn't count as a change as it wasn't in the original.
It already being in was never my point. More how it could've been approached had they chose to.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
If I recall correctly, Espeon and Umbreon were also usable in Fire Red and Leaf Green. It's just that without the day/night mechanic, the means to evolve Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon were unavailable. However, they could still be traded in. (This was not possible until Pokémon Colosseum, however.) Not only were they available, they had unique Pokédex entries, and the same goes for Leafeon and Glaceon in Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

I think a better example in Fire Red and Leaf Green is Crobat. You are restricted from evolving your Golbat into Crobat despite there being a happiness value--until the postgame, upon which if it's happy enough, it will evolve the next time it levels up. The same thing happens with any other Pokémon that evolves via happiness, like Chansey into Blissey, as well as Baby Pokémon as a nursery becomes available in the posrtgame Sevii Islands and gives you full access to all breeding mechanics at the time.

Meanwhile, Magmortar is available in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, but the Magmarizer--the item needed to evolve Magmar--is found only on Cinnabar, preventing you from using it until the postgame. Similarly, the Electirizer used to evolve Electabuzz into Electivire is found in Cerulean Cave (one of the last areas in the game), the Dubious Disc used to evolve Porygon2 into Porygon-Z is in an area requiring Rock Climb (whose functionality comes from defeating Blue in the postgame), the Razor Fang used to evolve Gligar into Gliscor and Razor Claw used to evolve Sneasel into Weavile is obtained at the Battle Frontier, etc. The Ancient Power ones were, to my knowledge, restricted in much the same way as happiness in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

With this pattern in mind, I think that in the case of Sylveon, you will be allowed to let Eevee learn Fairy-type moves before the end credits roll but will not be able to evolve it into Sylveon until afterwards, once the blocks get lifted.

Honestly I'm starting to really warm up to the idea that in post game we are able to dex radar post gen 4 pokemon like how you could dexnav gen 4 and 5 pokemon that obviously never appeared in the ORAS dex. I really want to use Toucannon and Eelektross again. Especially my best eel boy
I really want to have Minior be on a team again. Minior's so fun. It's cute and kind of reminds me of a Kinder Surprise Egg.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Honestly I'm starting to really warm up to the idea that in post game we are able to dex radar post gen 4 pokemon like how you could dexnav gen 4 and 5 pokemon that obviously never appeared in the ORAS dex. I really want to use Toucannon and Eelektross again. Especially my best eel boy
That is a dreamie idea. Splendid

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Holding out a little bit of hope for Sylveon anyway tbh. I still think it’s possible, even if it’s looking a unlikely now.
I think it will be added if the Pt Dex is being used. Evolving Eevee into Sylveon isn’t a hard thing for them to program into the remakes as it is currently just a High Friendship evolution with the added requirement that Eevee knows a Fairy move which isn’t too hard to get.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think it will be added if the Pt Dex is being used. Evolving Eevee into Sylveon isn’t a hard thing for them to program into the remakes as it is currently just a High Friendship evolution with the added requirement that Eevee knows a Fairy move which isn’t too hard to get.
I don't think it's likely. There's now an even more likelier chance that all Gen 5 and onwards Pokemon, including Sylveon, will be excluded.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
I don't mean to be all "five stages of grief" here but prior experiences (ex: Nintendo of America referring to the Three Mage Sisters from Kirby Star Allies as a "family" on a website when the original JP script made it clear they were sisters in the religious sense along with interviews with Kumazaki and even optional text in the English version alluded as such) have got me hesitant to take the words of Nintendo's branches as gospel.

BCVM22

Maybe it's accurate, maybe it's not, but there's ample reason not to get worked up over a deleted Facebook post from a foreign Nintendo subsidiary as the sole source on something in dispute. I know some people love to get themselves worked up as a matter of course and it can't be stopped, but still.

Autobot N

Autobot
Maybe it's accurate, maybe it's not, but there's ample reason not to get worked up over a deleted Facebook post from a foreign Nintendo subsidiary as the sole source on something in dispute. I know some people love to get themselves worked up as a matter of course and it can't be stopped, but still.
Yeah. It's certainly possible (and not unlikely) that BDSP only has the first 493, but I don't think this is proof of anything

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Yeah. It's certainly possible (and not unlikely) that BDSP only has the first 493, but I don't think this is proof of anything
Whether or not Gen 5+ pokemon are in the game, I'm 100% positive they'll be legally unavailable upon launch so players would start off with a more authentic Sinnoh experience (which is usually the case when most pokemon games first come out). However, I can either see them being transferable once Home connectivity comes out or if we get DLC for the games.

Last edited:

Flame Haji

Electric Gym Leader
If true, I wonder if the fairy type will not be present in the game? Since it wasn't made yet.

Flame Haji

Electric Gym Leader
It's already in, they showed it in the trailer
Ah, well I feel like they're not going to have that many fairly types in the game then. I may have missed some, but only 4 evolution lines are fairy type in the Platinum dex. Wonder if they'll turn others into fairy type.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Ah, well I feel like they're not going to have that many fairly types in the game then. I may have missed some, but only 4 evolution lines are fairy type in the Platinum dex. Wonder if they'll turn others into fairy type.
I counted five lines. Six if Sylveon is added. You’ve got the Mime, Clefairy, Marill, Ralts, And Togepi lines.