• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Oh right that reminds me, what do they do with the gym arrangement. Do we fight Fantina as the third like in Platinum? Or do we fight her like in the originals at 5th? If it’s the latter then welp.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Oh right that reminds me, what do they do with the gym arrangement. Do we fight Fantina as the third like in Platinum? Or do we fight her like in the originals at 5th? If it’s the latter then welp.
I hated that. Hearthome is the 3rd major city and if you are not playing platinum then it feels wrong "to make players wait"

Thankfully they never really pulled this type of trick except Nacrene gym was moved from third and was the 1st gym in Black/White 2.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I hated that. Hearthome is the 3rd major city and if you are not playing platinum then it feels wrong "to make players wait"

Thankfully they never really pulled this type of trick except Nacrene gym was moved from third and was the 1st gym in Black/White 2.
I actually liked how that section of the gyms was handled in the originals more than Platinum. Not only did it make Fantina more challenging, but it made the game feel more like it was about the adventure rather than collecting the gym badges as you experienced more of the Sinnoh region. Plus, you could still visit Pastoria City or Veilstone City in any order you want, so it gives you more of a choice on how you want to level up & gain other features before taking on Fantina.

One thing I am hoping they'll change though is that Candice, Volkner, & Flint will either have their Platinum teams or their non-monotype pokemon are more viable and can be seen as a threat

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
HM’s confirmed used by wild Pokémon via the Poke etch!! Thank Arceus!!

I was skeptical at first, since the player character also has a Staraptor and Bibarel in its team. But the official product website backs it up, so.. I guess I'm going to miss seeing my team helping me out - instead getting taken on cross-country flights on a random wild Staraptor that I don't trust with my life.

I think there are other male characters in Pokemon that need to be censored .... some of them having no shirt on.

Oh please, sexism doesn't work two ways..

Looks at Marvel-movies..
- Female heroes: Not allowed to show any upperbody skin. BlackWidow in IronMan2 is a sin in the way it portrayed her as an attractive woman!
- Male heroes: Lets get Chris, Chris, Tom and Chris to take off their shirts as many times as they can. No problem, girls will love it! Don't worry! It won't set an unhealthy body image standard for boys.

Actually, you cross through Jubilife, Oreburgh and Eterna before you head out to Hearthome.. So it'd be the fourth major city..

How is this any different then you having to skip the Viridian Gym in Kanto?

Also, you actually have a choice who to fight first between Maylene and Wake, which is a fun bit of non-linearity that's been removed from the franchise since DP, but was a huge part of the fun in GenI and GenII for me. I mean you can just cheese your way through not having to fight Surge and Erika for the longest time in GenI. You basically need to have Cut to get to RockTunnel and then proceed to do the Rocket-plot and go straight for Sabrina or Koga afterwards. I mean it's not uncommon for me to just go: Brock, Misty, Koga, Blaine -> and then just sweep the other four...

Red and Blue

My question is whether the EXP mechanic will be the Sword/Shield method or the traditional way. If it ends up being the Sword/Shield way, they should at least give an option to turn it on or off
At this point I think it will be handled like LGPE and SWSH.

Vini310

I dont want these games to be easy piecy like LGPE were. DP are considered tough games, so I want it to stay like that
Pokémon Clover shows that it IS possible to have automatic Exp. Share and still be a challenging game.
And the original DP weren't hard. Just because Cynthia exists does not mean that the entire game is hard, but that this specific opponent is hard.

Julia Artemis

Also playing the game in DP with the Exp share of those games wasn't that challenging, and having the current exp share on is fine and just makes it that you don't have to do so much grinding and be able to make sure you can get the right egg moves on your Pokemon. This was kind of annoying issue as I've played through Diamond. I wanted to get Drill Peck on Honchkrow and Psycho Cut on Medicham but that would add so much more hours of gameplay.

Autobot N

Pokémon Clover shows that it IS possible to have automatic Exp. Share and still be a challenging game.
And the original DP weren't hard. Just because Cynthia exists does not mean that the entire game is hard, but that this specific opponent is hard.
People just remember the games being harder since they were younger and dumber when they first played through them.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Cynthia wasn't even that hard for me to beat the first time lol. I actually beat Pearl within a few days of my first ever playthrough of it (and I bought the game when it came out in 2007ish and without the help of the internet).

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I dont want these games to be easy piecy like LGPE were. DP are considered tough games, so I want it to stay like that
They weren't even that hard. It was only hard cause just about everyone that played them at the time were small little kids or early teens which in general are not considered bright in any way.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
DP was hard because it seriously was harsh on level grinding, and it didn't help that Cynthia's team was a gauntlet itself.

These remakes will be considerably easier if they give players an Audino-like method to level up quickly, though...and come with an Ice-type move at the ready.

Orphalesion

They weren't even that hard. It was only hard cause just about everyone that played them at the time were small little kids or early teens which in general are not considered bright in any way.

The same can be said about all the Pokemon games that are considered "hard"

Red and Blue were only hard because the people who played it were young and inexperienced (plus the Psychic type was broken, and they hadn't balanced random encounters yet leading to death by attrition through endless encounters of Zubat and Tentacool in caves and the ocean)

If you look at the number of Pokemon the later Kanto gym leaders and Elite Four members have, they are similar to today: a maximum of four Pokemon for the last few gym leaders (except Giovanni who had five) and five for the elite four, witht he champion battle the only one where you faced a whole team.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If you look at the number of Pokemon the later Kanto gym leaders and Elite Four members have, they are similar to today: a maximum of four Pokemon for the last few gym leaders (except Giovanni who had five) and five for the elite four, witht he champion battle the only one where you faced a whole team.

Actually that's not true for many of the recent games, they started putting caps on how many Pokemon NPC trainers used in some of the recent games. Regular trainers never used more than 3 Pokemon, gym leaders always used 2 or 3 (the first two used 2, the last 6 used 3), rivals never used more than 4 or 5, the Elite 4 never used more than 4. The only trainers actually using a full team for the most part are you, the evil team leader, and the Champion. They started this in Unova, that's one reason why you see a lot of complaints about "the new games are too easy" (although they did reverse this in SwSh). Really most of the issues with difficulty in the recent games have more to do with accessibility changes like the roster caps, the EXP Share, increased training options, and better Pokemon/movesets, most of which occurred in BW and XY. It's not simply a matter of getting older.

Orphalesion

Actually that's not true for many of the recent games, they started putting caps on how many Pokemon NPC trainers used in some of the recent games. Regular trainers never used more than 3 Pokemon, gym leaders always used 2 or 3 (the first two used 2, the last 6 used 3), rivals never used more than 4 or 5, the Elite 4 never used more than 4. The only trainers actually using a full team for the most part are you, the evil team leader, and the Champion. They started this in Unova, that's one reason why you see a lot of complaints about "the new games are too easy" (although they did reverse this in SwSh). Really most of the issues with difficulty in the recent games have more to do with accessibility changes like the roster caps, the EXP Share, increased training options, and better Pokemon/movesets, most of which occurred in BW and XY. It's not simply a matter of getting older.

Yes, you are right. I only looked at the most recent set of Gym leaders (SwSh) and the most recent Elite 4 (SuMo) and those match the Kanto ones in how large their roosters are (again, with the exception of Giovanni)
I honestly couldn't remember anymore that in Kalos the gym leaders only had up to 3 Pokemon and the Elite Four only 4. That's crazy.
I should have looked at those too before I wrote what i wrote.

But well, then that's at least a positive development in regards to the SwSh gym leaders.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Do u think Giratinawill be in these games? I want a post game like the Delta Episode in ORAS