• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Clefairy?
Well, Clefairy would at least be better for me than Azurill, Mr.Mime or Guardevoir...though I'd still prefer Togekiss
How soon can you get Clefairy in Sinnoh?
Mt. Cornet on you way to Hearthome City. I think that they are uncommon there but Trophy Garden also has some.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
All remakes so far have had some additions to the Dex. So since BDSP is more in line with the traditional remakes(like FRLG, HSSS, and ORAS) it will likely contain at least some of gen 5-8 Pokémon that are specifically tied to existing gen 1-4 Pokémon.

Although they might limit the gens 5-8 mon to being available in the post game.
It might be different now because of Dexit and these games not being the primary platform for competitive play.

ShadowForce720

It might be different now because of Dexit and these games not being the primary platform for competitive play.
Not really as first BDSP not having competitive play does impact Pokémon are available. As for the Dexit argument that doesn’t work because unlike Sword and Shield where they had to create a lot of new models for the Pokémon.

In BDSP they can just import the existing models for the gens 5-8 Pokémon that are specifically evolutions or regional variants to the gens 1-4 Pokémon as those models already exist and they can do some updates to the models of the Sinnoh Dex mon.

So no, the dexit argument doesn’t work.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Here's all of the Fairy types that appear in the main game and where you got them for reference:

Cleffa- Mt. Coronet (1F)
Clefairy- Mt. Coronet (Upper floors)
Mime Jr.- Rt. 209 (Diamond only), Rt. 210S (Diamond only)
Mr. Mime- Rt. 218 (Diamond and Platinum only), Rt. 222 (Diamond only)
Togepi- Receive Egg from Cynthia in Eterna City after clearing Eterna Galactic Building (Platinum only)
Azurill- Great Marsh
Marill- Great Marsh, Rt. 212N (Platinum only), Rt. 215 (Platinum only)
Ralts- Rt. 208 (Platinum only), Rt. 209 (Platinum only)
Kirlia- Rt. 212N (Platinum only)

Many of these also appear as Daily Trophy Garden Pokemon, but that's only post game so I'm not counting them. Togepi can also be found post game on Rt. 230 with the Pokeradar.

As far as Eevee goes, you receive it as a gift from Bebe (this is post game in DP, but main game in Platinum) and then you can get more as Daily Trophy Garden Pokemon.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Everyone takes the “faithful” aspects of these games way too literally. Obviously they’re making a lot of this 1:1 from the originals but they’ve already added character customization, Pokémon following you outside of Amity Square, Pokémon Hideaways, an expanded Dex, & Fairy Types.

Don’t forget they also advertised these games as adding a lot of modern QoL improvements for older players. The 3 biggest issues for Sinnoh were the slow engine (a natural fix for modern hardware), frequent HM usage (the Pokétch removes the need for them on your Pokémon), and the limited Pokédex. The Hideaways are probably their main resolution for this but why wouldn’t they add a Pokémon that fleshes out a Type only represented by a handful of retyped older mons and fits a common “theme” in Gen 4: older Pokémon getting evolutions?

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Although they might limit the gens 5-8 mon to being available in the post game.
Personally, I don’t think we’ll be able to get Gen 5-8 pokémon until we get either Home connectivity or a possible DLC

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
What makes you think Dexit will be an issue here?

masdog

They now have the freedom to completely exclude Pokemon if they don't fit the game, which another recent remake (LGPE) did.
They’ve always had that freedom.

I suspect that there is more to Dexit than what fans think, and they probably needed a LOT of work to support the transition from the 800x200 2DS/3DS screen to HD-quality graphics on the switch.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Personally, I don’t think we’ll be able to get Gen 5-8 pokémon until we get either Home connectivity or a possible DLC
Legends Arceus coming out just 2 months later kills any chance of BDSP ever getting DLC.

masdog

Legends Arceus coming out just 2 months later kills any chance of BDSP ever getting DLC.
You’re making a lot of assumptions here.

masdog

Why make DLC for a game if a much bigger and much more expansive game set in the same location is coming just two months later?
There is only one reason I can think of. We don’t know how much platinum content or story elements will be in BDSP or if there will be a post-game Delta Episode-style story to incorporate Platinum story elements.

That could be relegated to a DLC. I admit that it could be a long shot, but I wouldn’t completely dismiss the idea of a DLC pack for BDSP. We know there will be at least one update to add support for Home.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
There is only one reason I can think of. We don’t know how much platinum content or story elements will be in BDSP or if there will be a post-game Delta Episode-style story to incorporate Platinum story elements.

That could be relegated to a DLC. I admit that it could be a long shot, but I wouldn’t completely dismiss the idea of a DLC pack for BDSP. We know there will be at least one update to add support for Home.
Yup. Nothing’s for definite but there’s at least a possibility for everything.

I know I’m one to talk because of some of the posts I’ve made on this thread (and others), & I’ll be the first to call myself a hypocrite, but at this point it’s better to be a mix of optimistic & realistic rather than to expect the worst possible scenario

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
A couple of thoughts:

Now that Series 11 of Sword & Shield Ranked has begun, it ends at the end of January 2022. That's right around when Pokémon HOME becomes available for these upcoming Sinnoh games. I don't know if the timing was intentional or not, considering Ranked Series currently last 3 months, but it does indicate a strong chance of Series 12 allowing Pokémon available in the Sinnoh games but not in Galar.

The other thought is that with the Tetris 99 Maximus Cup for October 2021 being themed on Monster Hunter Rise, this likely means the November 2021 Maximus Cup will be themed on Metroid Dread. Since a Maximus Cup is held every month, anyone think they might have a new one themed on Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl for December, considering this is the biggest release on the Switch for November? Or might they skip it altogether and have a Maximus Cup for Pokémon Legends Arcues instead? Or will Tetris 99 completely pass over Pokémon this time?

I like the solution to HMs. I would definitely rather see them streamlined than scrapped entirely. Otherwise you end up with very samey obstacles, like seeing those Team Yell morons every time the game wants to stop you exploring.
HM Puzzles were a huge part of the early franchise. We haven't had a decent new dungeon in a pokemon game since they cut back on HMs in Kalos.
Personally, I always felt the gym puzzles were a way to provide variety without using any HMs (except the few Grass-type ones early on that needed Cut). Traditionally, the dungeons set in urban areas didn't need HMs either (most made use of teleportation pads and arrow pads, though some were simply mazes of office cubicles and hallways).

Rather, I suspect the dungeons were mostly excised from the more recent games because they're deemed low priority on things to be removed. I think they still want to make them though, considering that factory to the west of Motostoke in Sword and Shield that Sonia even introduces but you never go to because the path is blocked with a stanchion. Considering it was on the Galar map shown in February 2019, I have no doubt that this was originally going to be a dungeon of bad guys.

Also I don't get the concern about the Fairy typing not being in the game. Why would they omit it here when it was still included in the Hoenn and Kanto remakes?
They were also in Pokémon GO from the start, back when only Generation I was available.

How is this any different then you having to skip the Viridian Gym in Kanto?
Also Petalburg Gym in Hoenn, Lumiose Gym in Kalos, and Hammerlocke Gym in Galar.

That makes Johto and Unova the only known regions with Gyms where all of them could be visited on your first time in their respective cities (though they aren't always open when you first enter (like Johto's Olivine Gym or Unova's Icirrus Gym). If you count the Island Trials, Mina's trial in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon require you leave Seafolk Village and come back later.