• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
What do you mean? Ethan’s design was changed as well. It’s not as massive as the gen 3 protag, but the difference was still noticeable.

From the model we saw in the trailer, dawn and lucas looks EXACTLY the same.
They have a new designs in Arceus Legends.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Looking once again at the trailer, I am now more comfortable with the graphics.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Ya'll the remakes look awful, thank god for Legends and Snap otherwise this stream would of been a fail lol.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Someone on Reddit pointed out that Porygon-Z was in the trailer, which probably means they're using the Platinum Pokedex
Was thinking the same.
It would be nice to have Platinum dex.

How small are the changes of Mega/Gigantamax here?

I can totally see some new mechanicy in the Legend Arceus one.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I just think people should at least give the remakes a chance before complaining. I mean SwSh weren’t perfect before the Expansion Pass but they still had some really good elements that people who refused to play the games because of Dexit missed. We’ve got Toxtricity which is a really good way of creating a toxic Electric type without it looking overdesigned, Falinks which is a creative use of individual beings forming a single Pokémon, Eiscue which has a really interesting Ability that make battling it in Hail very difficult, and Galarian Darmanitan which has an extremely useful standard Ability and an improved Zen Mode form. Not to mention the story was well written and you could skip cutscenes and were allowed to explore the Wild Area at your own leisure without anyon3 or anything blocking off paths to all areas to find a specific Pokémon.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Well......my thoughts......

honestly, I’m so so disappointed and deflated by these games. The Sinnoh region holds a very special place in my heart, it is my favourite region with my favourite characters and favourite set of starter pokemon and probably my favourite Pokémon available.

FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, we’re all brilliant tributes to their the original games, they helped redefine their regions and brought them to life in the current graphics of their time, and then what made them better, HGSS allowed you to tackle the region again but made it possible to bring newer pokemon to the region and try the game out with them, being able to rediscover the region in a whole new way.

So I was waiting for these games for many years, I remember being in my teens, when HGSS were released and thinking of the future and how Sinnoh could be reimagined all those years later. And here we are.....and yet they look exactly the same, just slightly upgraded to 3D. All that potential I imagined, gone....it’s proper disheartening.

To make it worse, we had the have a sacrifice of Pokemon in SWSH, my favourites were cut, my play style has always been that I take a Minun and Turtwig with me and have them part of my team each time I do a new region. Whilst the rest of my team is filled up with new pokemon and a few new reserves too.....so I was absolutely gutted when the Dex cut was announced, and found out the majority of my favourite Pokémon were cut, in fact none of my top 10 made it into the game originally. And so, the DLC gave me hope, they started bringing back pokemon and whilst only Garchomp and Swampert made it back in out of my favourites, the clues pointing to a DP remake gave me hope that my favourites would be returned and a patch would be made to make them transferable to SWSH and I could play them with my chosen play style, in the region that is based on the country I live in......

But alas, that looks like the chances of that happening are slim as these games are too different to SWSH that I doubt connectivity is going to happen.
And I am not very hopeful that with these 2 new types of games releasing that they will then still be patching what will be a 3 year old game by the time these release.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Not really a fan of the art style of the over world, the characters look super squished compared to the ones from LGPE. If they were going the chibi appearance ironically LGPE handled it better since the characters still had human-like proportions. Now here’s hoping they find a way to deal with the HM hell in Sinnoh.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Not really a fan of the art style of the over world, the characters look super squished compared to the ones from LGPE. If they were going the chibi appearance ironically LGPE handled it better since the characters still had human-like proportions. Now here’s hoping they find a way to deal with the HM hell in Sinnoh.
That’s easy, just make them regular TMs with the same functionality as HMs but can be replaced if needed. I don’t want to go through that crap again and almost never be able to remove HM moves due to them often being required in gameplay.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
I, for one, will happily accept HM Slave Bibarel back into my team. Sure it's a pain in the butt having to deal with HMs.
But it was, at one point, a main feature of the game. Sometimes revisiting it, as in the case of a faithful remake, isn't too bad. A one-off situation can be tolerated.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well......my thoughts......

honestly, I’m so so disappointed and deflated by these games. The Sinnoh region holds a very special place in my heart, it is my favourite region with my favourite characters and favourite set of starter pokemon and probably my favourite Pokémon available.

FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, we’re all brilliant tributes to their the original games, they helped redefine their regions and brought them to life in the current graphics of their time, and then what made them better, HGSS allowed you to tackle the region again but made it possible to bring newer pokemon to the region and try the game out with them, being able to rediscover the region in a whole new way.

So I was waiting for these games for many years, I remember being in my teens, when HGSS were released and thinking of the future and how Sinnoh could be reimagined all those years later. And here we are.....and yet they look exactly the same, just slightly upgraded to 3D. All that potential I imagined, gone....it’s proper disheartening.

To make it worse, we had the have a sacrifice of Pokemon in SWSH, my favourites were cut, my play style has always been that I take a Minun and Turtwig with me and have them part of my team each time I do a new region. Whilst the rest of my team is filled up with new pokemon and a few new reserves too.....so I was absolutely gutted when the Dex cut was announced, and found out the majority of my favourite Pokémon were cut, in fact none of my top 10 made it into the game originally. And so, the DLC gave me hope, they started bringing back pokemon and whilst only Garchomp and Swampert made it back in out of my favourites, the clues pointing to a DP remake gave me hope that my favourites would be returned and a patch would be made to make them transferable to SWSH and I could play them with my chosen play style, in the region that is based on the country I live in......

But alas, that looks like the chances of that happening are slim as these games are too different to SWSH that I doubt connectivity is going to happen.
And I am not very hopeful that with these 2 new types of games releasing that they will then still be patching what will be a 3 year old game by the time these release.
I feel you man, I feel you

Pokémon Pearl was my first game in the series. DP my first anime series. Sinnoh has ALWAYS held such a special place in my heart
I was so hyped for the remakes
I was getting so hyped when they went back to 2007
When they said experience the brilliance again
And then
That dawn chibi model, and my heart sank so heard

I don't give a **** if the new artstyle is faithful to the old one. The story and everything should be faithful to the originals, but the point of the remakes has always been for me to experience those games in an upgraded graphic style. The graphics are even worse then XY chibi style. Like idk man, I don't wanna be too overly negative and pretend the games won't have new content or redeeming factors when nothing has been shown

People calling it remasters are taking it too far lol

But yea, the new artstyle really ruined it for me, and brought down my hype for Legends: Arceus, which was everything I ever wanted in a Pokémon game but now, I don't feel that excited.

Captain Jigglypuff

I have always felt a special connection to DP even though I didn’t get to really play them with Platinum being my only brief experience with Sinnoh during Gen IV, they were released in the US on my birthday and that is one thing I wish I could have gotten on my birthday if it were possible to rewind time just for that release. I’m also wondering what will happen to the Unown since Hidden Power was cut and probably won’t be reintroduced into the games since the mechanics behind what typing it can be is very difficult to do without any help and trying to add Fairy type Hidden Power to the mix would just complicate things even more?

Last edited:

Cool Rafe

Cold & Anti-social
The graphics and art style of BDSP are downright awful and this isn't even an opinion. However, I still prefer what I saw from the trailer to SwSh. One thing that bugged me about SwSh was the camera angle. Glad we're getting the old school back.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
  • LGPE didn't get to show trainer outfits in their first trailer, but then they had other things to show, such as Partner outfits, and Pokémon Go/Pokeball stuff.
  • DPPt actually had a "trainer" customisation system, and it's already confirmed to return. https://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/multiavatar.shtml and about 0:55 in the trailer.
  • All locations shown seem almost 1:1 match for locations.
  • I noticed a few changes:
    • The TV seems to more closely resemble a thick LCD TV, VS Tube TV back in the day. (Flat Sceen TVs was starting to be come common during that era.) Not entirely sure if was a Tube TV. (Wide sceen Tube TVs do exist and very common in Europe before HD.)
    • Wii Swapped out for a Switch in same room.
    • Most Screens actually show an image, not an option back then given technical limits of the DS. (Most screens back then where tiny.)
    • The Statue is changed to resemble Dialga, and not both. (Possibly Pearl turns the statue to Palkia.)
  • Barry's Thud! uses double height text, which happened on the Original games.
  • I was the mod for Serebii DDPt forums, based on how much I know of the games.
  • The BDSP Pokémon Models look like LPTE style, which I'd expect as they're pretty much all they've been using since XY.
Some Questions I've got, but i doubt will be answered by you guys:
  1. Will there be Pokémon Bank Support? and how much? It's quite unlikely the Switch will support Ranch! (I'll wait for that answer.)
  2. Post game areas and Platinum stuff?
  3. Mega/Z-moves/Dynamax?
  4. The Orginal game had a pile of Sinnoh Pokémon only in the post game.. Do these return as well.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
But yea, the new artstyle really ruined it for me, and brought down my hype for Legends: Arceus, which was everything I ever wanted in a Pokémon game but now, I don't feel that excited.
Or you know, just don't play the remake and look forward to the newer installment that caters to a "new release" than a nostalgia trip.

Captain Jigglypuff

The graphics and art style of BDSP are downright awful and this isn't even an opinion. However, I still prefer what I saw from the trailer to SwSh. One thing that bugged me about SwSh was the camera angle. Glad we're getting the old school back.
I think that is still an opinion as I think the graphics look pretty good and there are far worse looking games currently out for current gen consoles than BDSP.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
What are the chances that this is just a publicity stunt like the Sonic the Hedgehog movie original model and Pokemon are trying to do their own version?