• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
The games do seem underwhelming compared to past remakes. But of course this is only the initial announcement and there could still be new things to reveal even while called a faithful remake. Personally I was hoping to see new forms or changes for Dialga and Palkia but doesn't seem like they have them, unless they are being kept secret but I guess that wouldn't make sense for marketing purposes. I grew up with Pearl being one of the games I played the most, but not sure if I will get this if it turns out to be exactly the same as the original outside of aesthetic graphical changes.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Ngl, this is probably the most indifferent i’ve felt for a main series game.

I absolutely hate 2 head proportions chibis, unless it’s heavily stylized. So the overworld just looks ugly to me. Give me gen 6 style graphics any day.

I’ve already played through gen 4 around 3 times over, and i personally don’t have much emotional connection to it. So i most likely won’t get this unless they show some major differences later on.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I don’t hate the art style for the remakes, but it’s going to take some getting used to since I didn’t expect it

Honestly I like the graphics, I guess I am a bit old-school =p
That being said, people raise a fair point in asking how this remake will actually improve on its predecessor. The pokemon battles will definitely look way better for one. To me the overworld graphics look great, but I guess not everyone shares that opinion.

My main question will be what pokemon will be available. At minimum I would hope the remakes have the same national dex as the original Diamon/Pearl/Platinum (being able to trade pokemon over with Pokemon Home). But my main wish would be no limitations at all: I mean we are talking about a game that ran on the first Nintendo DS (16 year old hardware). Looking at the footage the game is pretty much a 1:1 remake with no added mechanics (the overworld design they chose seems even less complex than the ORAS one). So you can't tell me that this remake can not handle all pokemon.

"Hate" is a strong word, but the choice to use such a drastically different style from the preceding main series games for these remakes is unprecedented and definitely disappointing for me. Having wandered around the Crown Tundra in recent months, I was really excited by the possibility of re-exploring Sinnoh's snowy Routes (and the region in general) with that Gen VIII aesthetic.

On a more positive note, the official site mentions that "these remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series," which hopefully means the HM system was at least partially re-tooled.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Graphics will surely take time to get used to, but it's not a biggie. People can still fetch their DS and play Pt/HGSS in this age without issues. This isn't the core problem, although I agree it'd be a blast to see Sinnoh with contemporary aesthetics.

I am mostly concerned about how 'faithful' remake will be defined. With graphical element is obviously not a defining factor of the game, I'm very much interested to see the size of content. This is the first time a main series game is produced by a different company, except the inclusion of J. Masuda as the rightful co-director of the game. I really want to see the direction ILCA take the game and make it a remake, not a remaster.

ORAS' updates were mostly the reveal of new Mega Evolutions more than new content except September when we got the first bits of soaring. Let's see where this journey takes us. I'm a sucker for Distortion World and Battle Frontier and will accept them any day over Fairy type or other gimmicks.

I'm definitely gonna have to get used to this artstyle that's for sure. But with this and Pokemon Legends, I guess it's time to continue the tradition of throwing my money at them since I absolutely have to play every Pokemon game they come out with haha.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
As far as I can remember, no new Pokémon were ever added in the remakes.
I also don't see any point in giving Dynamax / Gigantamax forms to starters, since these forms of transformation only work in Galar (it would make more sense to give them Mega Evolution)
Meltan and Melmetal say hi.
Arceus since he created Eternatus could easily make Dyna/Giga possible in Sinnoh.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm completely underwhelmed by the trailer, which is odd since I typically find at least some positives even from games that I don't particularly love. The overworld graphics in these games look only slightly better than the D/P/Pt graphics while the character overworld models themselves look too small, and while battles look a lot better than before now with full 3D models, they look basic compared to Shield and Sword's battle graphics.

I don't plan on buying these games in the same way that I didn't purchase the Switch Kanto remakes, although in this case it has more to do with being disappointed by the lack of innovation rather than being upset about changes in the core mechanics.

wanderist

Someone
I think I'm slowly going to get used to the artstyle, may eventually even like it. I just can't bring myself to right now even though I really want to be positive about these games. But yeah the main concern is the constant "faithful" tag. They also mentioned it being fresh and "recreated" so I'm hoping there's at least some differences. For me the main thing is that it fixes the problems I had with Sinnoh (level grinding, slowness, mon selection) and keeps the QOL improvements they've made over the years. I think they did kinda say they would have the QOL improvements from the modern games. Hopefully they also have the Platinum dex and maybe some story enchancements like LGPE did and it's not just a 1:1 remake. That would be kinda disappointing. Though really as long as it's easier for me to play than the original Diamond I'll be okay.

-Vulpix-

Cynder Kiryah
I wouldn't mind the Chibi graphics, but doesn't seem to be on par with Link's awakening at least to me anyway.
Next thing I wonder is if it will have generation 1-8 Pokemon or 1-4 or less Pokemon than the originals suppose worst case scenario is probably the games only having 90 Pokemon.

If Dynamax isn't in the game, I'm not going to miss it that much either.

aerial_ace

Ahhh gen 4 it looks like you will forever stay as my most disliked pair of pokemon games. I was hoping the remakes will breathe a new life into this region but it looks like it is 1-1 copy with slightly updated graphics....I REALLY hope there are some new features in this game but with the way they were referring to it as a faithful remake i have my doubts. Previous remakes did a fantastic job of bringing old games into new gen graphics and adding some much needed improvements. Diamond and Pearl were by far my least favourite pokemon games and the only ones i did not finish. I will give these games a bash but i am not expecting them to change my mind unfortunately

Serzooka

Me @ the world right now....
The art style is fairly charming, and I can appreciate that they went for the classic DS look, even if I was initially stoked for an SWSH looking one. Hopefully, in the next ~10 months, they'll clean it up to make it look less like a graphic downgrade of Link's Awakening.

I'm far from convinced of even having a desire to play this game, but they got a good amount of time to show us new stuff since it was barely a minute of gameplay. I'll just wait and see, and then I can make a more informed judgement in the future.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
What are the odds, I lost my diamond, Pearl and platinum games about 2 years ago. Bought new ones off ebay which turned out to be fakes....but today I just found an old envelope in an old drawer and inside the envelope was the 3 of them. Is this fate?

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I think since Porygon-Z was in the trailer, we are looking at an updated Dex.
edit: The Twitter of the Pokémon Rumble composer mentioned about working on this game which would be cool!

disobedient

Man I didn't post here for ages, but todays announcement made me come back here.
While I wasn't impressed with the chibi style at first I am looking forward to BDSP. I would have loved to see Sinnoh in the SwSh style, but alas. We got a remake we all wanted and while I don't think there will be many changes or additions I appreciate the nostalgia for what it is.

Last edited: