• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Team? Hmm.

Torterra
Staraptor
Gallade/Lucario
Floatzel
Garchomp
Bibarel the HM Slave

Missingno.Fan

I’m not really into the chibi designs. It just looks too different for a mainstream Pokémon game. I really hope they use the expanded Pokédex from Platinum (or something similar).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Man, I'm not sure I've seen seen a video game with so much wasted potential as this. Back when they skipped Sinnoh remakes in Gen VII, I told myself it was for the better, as it meant that we would get the remakes on the Switch, and they would look gorgeous. And now what we're getting is nothing near the caliber of what a Switch game should look like. Major bummer. I cannot express how excited I was for the prospect of transforming Sinnoh into a true 3D environment, but instead we get a one-to-one transformation of sprites into stylized models with a top-down perspective. Why? Just why? Even Let's Go's style would have been better than this (though still disappointing). It's especially sad because now Ruby and Sapphire has the better looking remakes, and they were made six years ago on handheld system.

I'm still excited to re-experience Sinnoh. Pearl was my first Pokémon game, and I've been looking forward to Sinnoh remakes ever since Gen VI. But still, this just sucks.

Irony is, I was worried about them changing the Sinnoh remakes to be too close to Sword and Shield. I never imagined the opposite would turn out to be an issue.

Well, at least there's Legends: Arceus. That game looks amazing.

Kataphrut

I like the art-style, I think it's a nice approach to take- similar to what they did with the Let's Go games, which turned out looking much better than Sword and Shield.

I was never a huge fan of DIamond and Pearl, so maybe it just doesn't bother me as much. Maybe we've just been spoiled by all the previous remakes adding new things, as opposed to being 1:1 like what this appears to be.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Now these just look horrendous. I understand how the chibi artstyle can work for people in other cases; I thought the XY/ORAS style was very charming and so was LGPE to a lesser extent. This just looks terrible. The shading, lighting, and the lego overworld models....ugh. Even the difference in scale between the full models and the chibi ones look way more jarring than they ever were in the Gen 6 games, though that can probably be attributed to how janky the artstyle looks in general.

In no way does this visually look worth $60, even less so with how they’re emphasizing its 1:1 direction. Super disappointing, even for someone like me who isn’t a huge Sinnoh fan. If this is how they’re going to be approaching remakes in the future, just ditch it and go all out for Legends.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AgentKallus said:
I mean how faithful can it be when there's no dual screen?, genuinely curious about how they're gonna approach that. If it weren't for them being so 'faithful' then I'd just assume they'd just change those features to be more in line with swsh but as it is now....
To be fair the originals barely utilized the touch screen outside of attack selection in battles, Poffin making, the Pokétch, and a few other minor features. So I personally never thought of the touch screen as completely necessary even back in Gen IV, although it did make selecting attacks much easier than pressing buttons I suppose.

DanZamVA

I personally don't mind the art style. It's not my favorite, but I definitely don't hate it. That being said though, to me it's going to depend strictly on how "faithful" they are really being. We've seen Porygon-Z is in and we've seen an NPC normally only in Platinum in the remakes. Those are two just really REALLY small things though, and I would have liked something a bit more "concrete" in terms of what this remake is going to be faithful with.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I personally don't mind the art style. It's not my favorite, but I definitely don't hate it. That being said though, to me it's going to depend strictly on how "faithful" they are really being. We've seen Porygon-Z is in and we've seen an NPC normally only in Platinum in the remakes. Those are two just really REALLY small things though, and I would have liked something a bit more "concrete" in terms of what this remake is going to be faithful with.
Which NPC is this?

DanZamVA

Which NPC is this?
I believe it's the blonde NPC in Floaroma town. Someone mentioned it earlier and she doesn't appear in Diamond or Pearl and only in Platinum. Apparently it's the NPC that talks to you about the Gracidea if you talk to her with Shaymin. This is still just a small NPC though, so I wouldn't really say it's anything to necessarily get excited about yet. You can just make her out in the bottom left of the trailer at around the 0:34 second mark.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Now if you had to guess which game was from 2018 and which was from 2021..

Every time I think I'm over it, I see an image like this and I just start thinking it's a shame, for me personally, that they went with such a route regarding graphics/art style.
Tbh, Game Freak, etc., can't win here. The art style they went with imo, was a compromise between old and new.

As much as I'd love to see Sinnoh done in the new style as well, the one they went with is ok.

People would have complained if it were done the other way too. Fans who liked the original graphics might have complained in a similar fashion.

They're trying to create somewhat of a balance and I don't envy them there at all.

Lalo95

I never really noticed that detail. Now I'm curious why that was the case though. Guess they just based it off what they think it looks like, mixing descriptions of those who saw Dialga and those who saw Palkia.
The originals are meant to be an optical illusion. It's the same sprite, but depending on the colors, it can be seen as either Dialga or Palkia. When they reached that point in Adventures, since that trick only works with sprites, they decided to create this:

The statue in the remakes is clearly meant to be the same one as Adventures.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
A team? Currently considering Pearl and my members would be (for now)

- Infernape

- Staraptor

- Floatzel/Palkia

- Luxray

- Mamoswine

- HM Slave Bibarel (if HMs are staying), Roserade otherwise

It is definitely subject to change depending on the Pokedex and availability

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
FYI to Anyone mentioned about pandemic effected the game....
It didn't.

Japanese companies were rarely close office during pandemic. Then, the number of infected in Japan was massive.
Only foreign companies let the staff work form home...(google , apple...etc.)

I don't think GF close office at all. I heard that Porygon pictures who do the modeling for SwSh, only work from home for 2-3 weeks.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
When ORAS from 7 years ago looks better then this mess, good god. They could have at least went with that level of shrunken character instead.

Like they legit look like plastic toys in some shots, just no smh.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
To isolate discussion of planned teams for this game, I have created a separate thread for it:

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
What I am worrying now is: it will be 1-1 remake. -> no mega or dynamax. and probably gen 4 national dex only.

which mean no pokemon from gen 5 - 8 at all.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I don't get this chibi artstyle aversion. Pokemon's always been super-deformed; that's what the overworld sprites have always been. Hell, you literally see the player shrink down in several games.
Compared to the Gen 6 era and LGPE, the chibi style for the Sinnoh remakes is definitely a bit jarring. Trying to copy the Gen 4 spirite style for the humans made them look more like toys. Also we just transited to realistic models from Gen 7 onwards (bar LGPE but they were still human-like).