• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Here are the Platinum additions I think will be in the remakes:
  • Charon and the Secret Key that unlocks the hidden room inside the Old Chateau where the Rotom form changes take place.
  • Platinum Dex plus a few more additions for regional forms and new evolutions including Sylveon.
  • WiFi Plaza with more mini games that more than four players can join.
  • Cynthia’s Champion team from Platinum as it was a bit more challenging.
  • Veilstone City’s Gym puzzle
  • Crasher Wake’s Gym puzzle
  • More Pokémon found in the Great Marsh.
  • Looker on a mission and helping you out during the game
New additions/changes that aren’t obvious:
  • The Great Marsh having no entrance fee or counted steps limit and you can use your own Pokéballs.
  • More cameos from various NPCs from past games besides Jasmine and Prof Oak. I’m going to say Samson Oak, Blue at the Battle Tower, Wallace and Lissa in the Contest Hall (as unlockable Contest participants), Prof Sycamore, Clay in the Oreburgh Mine, and Lenora in the Underground where you can get a Unova fossil (version exclusives) from her.
  • Show Gardenia any of the Grass/Ghost Pokemon And she acts very confused and scared and wonders if they will haunt her forever or not.
  • Fantina mentions Kalos a couple of times and is delighted to see Prof Sycamore in Sinnoh who is a good friend of hers.
  • Collecting all of the Unown will yield a better reward.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Idk if it means anything (which prob doesn’t unless it kinda does) but apparently some an official merch campaign (specifically with figurines) for BDSP has been confirmed to feature Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X.
Ugh I'd rather mega evolution wasn't in this especially those two.

MrJechgo

Because everyone was expecting a reimagining rather than a faithful remake. FRLG, HGSS, & ORAS all were modernized adaptations of the original games using the engines of the current generations at the time. They were faithful to the originals while also changing aspects of the visuals or formula to match up with the current generation so it felt like a completely new experience for new & old players.
same engine =/= same game as the others

If it was the case, any game using the Unreal Engine would be first-person shooters :p
However, rather than doing the same thing with SWSH’s engine, BDSP look like they’ll be copying the original Sinnoh games down to the letter with no new content or anything. They could’ve made a fully immersive Sinnoh region using the same elements they did for Galar & the DLC. For example, reshaping Mt. Coronet based on the mountains & caves of the Crown Tundra, turning Jubilife City into a more immersive city like Wyndon & Motostoke, or giving Floraroma Town the beauty & ambiance of Ballonlea & Glimwood Tangle. At the very least they could’ve done new designs for the characters. Plus, even if they didn’t implement Megas or Dynamaxing, it would’ve been better to update the plot of the game rather than making them completely identical to the originals with no new content or anything, which seems to be the route they’re taking. I’m not as upset as most people on Twitter since these games were made by a different company & were getting Legends for the more immersive experience, but it’s still a little disappointing.
and then people would hate on the controls, the camera and not being a 1-to-1 recreation...
That being said, it’s not the chibi overworld that bothers me. I usually like this kind of approach since I loved the look of Link’s Awakening & I can eventually get used to this. What bothers me the most in terms of the visuals is the fact that the coloring & rendering for the in-battle models look so off-putting. The trainers specifically look less rendered than they did in Let’s Go (which you can see in stuff like Barry’s hair or Lucas & Dawn’s faces). The battle models just look like a GameCube game since they feel unfinished and unnatural. At the very least they could’ve made them look more like Dawn & Lucas in the promo art.
Early footage could be unpolished to be changed on release though.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
  • Charon and the Secret Key that unlocks the hidden room inside the Old Chateau where the Rotom form changes take place.
  • Platinum Dex plus a few more additions for regional forms and new evolutions including Sylveon.
  • The Great Marsh having no entrance fee or counted steps limit and you can use your own Pokéballs.
  • More cameos from various NPCs from past games besides Jasmine and Prof Oak. I’m going to say Samson Oak, Blue at the Battle Tower, Wallace and Lissa in the Contest Hall (as unlockable Contest participants), Prof Sycamore, Clay in the Oreburgh Mine, and Lenora in the Underground where you can get a Unova fossil (version exclusives) from her.
  • Show Gardenia any of the Grass/Ghost Pokemon And she acts very confused and scared and wonders if they will haunt her forever or not.
  • Fantina mentions Kalos a couple of times and is delighted to see Prof Sycamore in Sinnoh who is a good friend of hers.
For changes I would expect the Pal Park to be replaced with something else. I’m not going to speculate yet but we’re obviously not transferring from GBA games in that game so something else will have to be there.

nickdt

They might also include a Galar character as a reference (Melony or Bea are the most likely if they do it i think).

I would love it if one of Rowans assistants is gonna be called Sycamore, just as a subtle reference. Thats fine for me.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I really like this GoNintendo comparison video.

I like the new versions even more now. Sure there are some rough edges, but the games are still in development, so I'm figuring things will be worked on before they release.

ShadowForce720

Idk if it means anything (which prob doesn’t unless it kinda does) but apparently some an official merch campaign (specifically with figurines) for BDSP has been confirmed to feature Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X.
Chances are it means that Mega Evolution is returning in BDSP. Because no matter how you try to argue it there is no reason or justification to specifically market and Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X for BDSP if they weren’t going to be in the game.

Also let’s not forget something similar happened to Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee where some people were skeptical about Mega Evolutions being in the game and then we wound up getting merchandise revealed specifically for Let’s Go that had the Mega Evolutions for the Kanto starters in it and low and behold we wound up getting confirmed that Mega Evolution was returning in Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Honestly this doesn't look that much different from let's go and swsh in my opinion.
Exactly. There are still 3d elements there, it's just done in a similar style to the original games.

Autobot N

Chances are it means that Mega Evolution is returning in BDSP. Because no matter how you try to argue it there is no reason or justification to specifically market and Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X for BDSP if they weren’t going to be in the game.

Also let’s not forget something similar happened to Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee where some people were skeptical about Mega Evolutions being in the game and then we wound up getting merchandise revealed specifically for Let’s Go that had the Mega Evolutions for the Kanto starters in it and low and behold we wound up getting confirmed that Mega Evolution was returning in Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee.
Could someone provide the source for this? I'd like to see it for myself

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Was just thinking... I hope that shiny hunting in the new games isn't like what it was then. It was a pain in the butt. I hope that it's more like what it is now. More fun and less of a chore.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

nickdt

And thats exactly why i didn't want Mega's in the game.

First off - Charizard is gonna overshadow all three starters, wheares Venusaur and Blastoise will overshadow Torterra and Empoleon. However, if Mega's are gonna come, i think there is a huge possibility Froslass is gonna get a Mega, because Glalie also has one.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Perhaps the 'Fight Area' Island will have a bunch of gen 5-8 pokemon for post game

Except adding Slyveon and the Fairy type, the Main Story will have Mostly Platinum's pokedex.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Could someone provide the source for this? I'd like to see it for myself
This is the exact tweet relating to BDSP figurines featuring Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X.

They've also did the same with LGPE over 2 years prior which eventually confirmed Kanto exclusive megas in LGPE. Still unconfirmed if they're willing to do the same with BDSP and also bring back megas.

Autobot N

Where did u see zygrade
On the list from the website @ShadowForce720 linked to.

"Also, after April release scheduled figurines drop, the first Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl remake merchandise promotions will begin in Japan. New figurine listings showcase re-release campaign of Mega Evolution which might be an indicator like the Let's Go 2018 promotion, which also included Mega Charizard Y, Mega Blastoise and Mega Venusaur figurines late 2018 - which was leaked here on Pokéshopper. Here is the upcoming line of Takara Tomy official figurines for mid-summer 2021 :

• Darkrai
  • Cresselia
  • Piplup
  • Mega Charizard X
  • Mega Lucario
  • Zygarde Complete Forme"