• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I wonder if they'll remake Gen 5 and Gen 6 in the same fashion...

Ok, first off, I think it's clever that they upscaled the graphics like for Link's Awakening. Second, given that they don't look... that "expensive" to make, they could go ahead and remake Gen 5 and Gen n6 in the same style, while reserving Gen 7 to remade like SwSh.
Why would they redo gen 6 with this style when it a better style? It will be a downgrade

SoHowAreYou

I wonder if they'll remake Gen 5 and Gen 6 in the same fashion...

Ok, first off, I think it's clever that they upscaled the graphics like for Link's Awakening. Second, given that they don't look... that "expensive" to make, they could go ahead and remake Gen 5 and Gen n6 in the same style, while reserving Gen 7 to remade like SwSh.

This is 5 years off, for gen 5, trying to predict what they will do is somewhat premature. Also if people really hate the graphics enough that a lot of them don't buy these upcoming games then they will change the style. Personally, I don't really care about these graphics, but I want to learn more before I think really hard about buying them.

WaterTrainer243

Veteran Water Lover
Well, first things first; I am wondering if the games will be compatible with Sword and Shield. Because all other remakes in the past (minus Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) had been compatible with current Gen games. In other words, you could trade pokemon between games like HeartGold and Platinum. Since we also have the folks who worked on Pokemon Home working on these games, we can also expect them to be compatible with that too.

Next, the underground mechanic. Can we expect something like the Wild Area, or will it be like DP in gen 4 where we have to be physically close to another player in order to do the stuff there? And the Community room makes a return appearance as well. Does this also mean we might get the GTS Tower again? I doubt the Pal Park will make a reappearance and if it does, it'll probably be similar to what we had in X and Y with the Friend Safari.

Next, the Great Marsh; since the Safari Zone didn't make a return in ORAS and has not appeared SINCE Gen IV, I assume they're going to do what they did to the Safari Zone in ORAS to the Great Marsh. But this also begs the question, will Pokemon you could catch in Platinum be available in these games? Because I highly doubt that they'll make it impossible for us to catch pokemon that were introduced in Gen IV that could only be available in Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver. It just wouldn't be fair wouldn't it?

That's all I got for now.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Honestly I’m not exactly crazy about the names but they aren’t the worst names for a pair of video games out there. I just think adjectives that also correlated with each Box Art Legendary would have been better. Each of the other remake names sort of relate to their respective box art Pokémon. Fire Red and Leaf Green are related to Charizard and Venusaur in several ways, mostly being type based, Heart Gold relates to Ho-oh appearing to pure hearted people and heart of gold is a common phrase, Soul Silver is a bit trickier to explain but silver is often associated with psychic abilities and believed to help balance negative and positive energy in the body or soul, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire relate to how Groudon and Kyogre can both create and destroy things at the same time meaning they are both beginnings and endings.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Honestly I’m not exactly crazy about the names but they aren’t the worst names for a pair of video games out there. I just think adjectives that also correlated with each Box Art Legendary would have been better. Each of the other remake names sort of relate to their respective box art Pokémon. Fire Red and Leaf Green are related to Charizard and Venusaur in several ways, mostly being type based, Heart Gold relates to Ho-oh appearing to pure hearted people and heart of gold is a common phrase, Soul Silver is a bit trickier to explain but silver is often associated with psychic abilities and believed to help balance negative and positive energy in the body or soul, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire relate to how Groudon and Kyogre can both create and destroy things at the same time meaning they are both beginnings and endings.
Yes, the names sound nice. But they are not very smart

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
On the list from the website @ShadowForce720 linked to.

"Also, after April release scheduled figurines drop, the first Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl remake merchandise promotions will begin in Japan. New figurine listings showcase re-release campaign of Mega Evolution which might be an indicator like the Let's Go 2018 promotion, which also included Mega Charizard Y, Mega Blastoise and Mega Venusaur figurines late 2018 - which was leaked here on Pokéshopper. Here is the upcoming line of Takara Tomy official figurines for mid-summer 2021 :

• Darkrai
  • Cresselia
  • Piplup
  • Mega Charizard X
  • Mega Lucario
  • Zygarde Complete Forme"

I thought that one of the biggest let downs with PikaVee was how they handled megas. No new ones, and the majority had to just be bought from a guy. If they do put megas in this I'd rather they do it better. Like it'd be nice to get new designs, and they could make us have to battle mega Totem pokemon to get the stones (or at least hide them around like in oras (the limited time window in xy was dumb). I'd also prefer that we get them earlier on in the game (relatively speaking) as otherwise there aren't many people in the game left for you fight with them (excluding multiplayer).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I still think the rendering looks awful for the in-battle trainers (especially in the faces) but I’m slowly warming up to the games & I’m hoping they’ll be more polished when BDSP eventually come out. At the very least, I’m hoping the characters will be the same quality as Dawn & Lucas in the promo art.

As for possible changes, one thing I’m wondering is if they’ll update the amount of pokémon that can follow you in Amity Square. In the originals it was just a handful of cute pokémon like Buneary & in Pikachu, while Platinum included the starters. Even though it’ll probably be in the chibi top-down format, it’d be nice if they made it so that all pokémon can follow you around

Last edited:

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/lufb02
I don't think Chibi itself is the problem. Link's awakening mastered the style. The problem (to me atleast) is the camera position. In the original DP games, you can see your lower body from any direction since the camera was at a higher placement than the ones that is shown in the trailer. The post above explains it pretty nicely and goes in detail about another game that did it with 3D Chibi.

There was like no way that these games were going to have megas though. Why would Nintendo revive a dead game feature that had nothing to do with the original Sinnoh games? At most they would find some way to add Dynamax stuff.

Oh gee thanks for picking apart the most arbitrary part of my post. :rolleyes: My point stands that these remakes feel like a rush job to me.

Paul Ryan of Pokeshopper (The source for the merchandise) said that he was getting Let's Go flashbacks. It's in the realm of possibility.

Link -
And silly dreams, but Rowan is old and studies evolutions. Sycamore is young and studies mega evolution.

Sycamore is Rowan's student and mega evolution comes to Sinnoh. Pretty simple way to bring it back .

So it seems like ILCA doesnt have alot of budget or good designers. Am I certain in that ? No
But it surely looks like it .
ILCA stands for I Love Computer Art. It's a company that worked on asset production for movies and Television in the start. In 2013 they expanded to games. They have helped on renowned games like Nier : Automata, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear Rising Revengence etc. They also worked on Pokemon Home. They are now primarily are an android game developer and this is their first full game on console. Do note that Lord Masuda is still co directing.

So yeah, you're right. They are fairly inexperienced in the whole game development stuff.

I’m betting no frontier. They weren’t in DP

That and Lord Masuda deemed it as too difficult for their 'target audience' in ORAS (IIRC).

What is there to speculate about? It looks like 100 % the same game. Even the narrator said its faithul to the original. They didnt even bother change the design of any of the characters.

There are quite a few changes like megas (not confirmed but hinted), the Platinum NPC (mostly for Shyamin's form), Fairy typing and basic quality of life changes as mentioned in the website. But they don't seem to be worth 60 $ from the looks of it.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Yeah, graphics is the only new thing they've actually offered us. You'd think they'd put their best feet forward, and allude to any new selling points early on. Like they did with soaring and new megas in the first ORAS trailers.

Or the first HGSS trailer. They showed off the pokewalker, pokeathalon, and walking pokemon.

Call me paranoid. But I suspect that if DPPt had anything other than graphics to show us, they would have shown us something else. ICLA is a animation company, not a company that has actually made a video game before. And the website for the new games alludes to making the games simpler.

I'm pretty sure they'll reveal brand-new features down the line. We didn't know about OR/AS's Delta Episode until less than a month from launch.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I couldn't care less if it's exactly the same game as before and I wouldn't have cared if the graphics literally matched 2007's games, sprites and everything..

I just wanted the region with arguably the most interesting lore to be playable on Switch and I'm getting that, so I'm happy..

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Well, first things first; I am wondering if the games will be compatible with Sword and Shield. Because all other remakes in the past (minus Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) had been compatible with current Gen games. In other words, you could trade pokemon between games like HeartGold and Platinum. Since we also have the folks who worked on Pokemon Home working on these games, we can also expect them to be compatible with that too.

Next, the underground mechanic. Can we expect something like the Wild Area, or will it be like DP in gen 4 where we have to be physically close to another player in order to do the stuff there? And the Community room makes a return appearance as well. Does this also mean we might get the GTS Tower again? I doubt the Pal Park will make a reappearance and if it does, it'll probably be similar to what we had in X and Y with the Friend Safari.

Next, the Great Marsh; since the Safari Zone didn't make a return in ORAS and has not appeared SINCE Gen IV, I assume they're going to do what they did to the Safari Zone in ORAS to the Great Marsh. But this also begs the question, will Pokemon you could catch in Platinum be available in these games? Because I highly doubt that they'll make it impossible for us to catch pokemon that were introduced in Gen IV that could only be available in Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver. It just wouldn't be fair wouldn't it?

That's all I got for now.
What are you talking about? Of course the Safari Zone returned in ORAS.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
One of the things im looking forward to for these games is the soundtrack especially since DP had an amazing soundtrack imo.
So much this. I’m going to play the entire game with headphones like I did when I first played Diamond.

I wonder how they’ll go about the Pokétch. Having it on 2 screens was super convenient instead of flipping back and forth between the 2 menus. Watch the make a Pokétch app or an actual Pokétch lol.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Them putting Red Genesect in the flashback part was a HUGE trigger for me, I'm still mad that the US NEVER got it!

I'd hope they bring back the Battle Frontier, Platinum is actually what made me like the Sinnoh games. The only good thing about Sinnoh before that was the anime and manga

Having stuff to do post game was always nice and considering I never got around to beating all the Frontier Brains from gen 4, I'd like the chance to again. I mean technically I still could but transferring any of the Pokemon I get attached to from gen 4 -> 5 -> Bank -> Home is just a huge pain!

At the very least I hope much like ORAS did with Deoxys, they change Darkrai's status. It was always a silly thing making him and Arceus events given they're literally tied to Pokemon available in the games! And we can obtain Arceus in Legends so... Darkrai please! There are so many mythical Pokemon out there and given we still get 3/4 every generation, why not make older ones more obtainable? Deoxys being obtainable in ORAS and Celebi in VC Crystal was awesome! They should do more stuff like that as they don't do much re-releases, especially if you're outside Japan

And Megas potentially returning again... nice. I miss them

Also can BW get this same treatment when it's time eventually comes? I used to be heavily against BW remakes due to the games being perfect and a fear they'd try 'sympathizing' Ghetsis or something else equally silly(The guy is the kind of evil you like to love, he has no remorse, presumably killed Hilda/Hilbert between games-it's just a theory but one I believe is true as it's perfectly in character and they never appeared again-, assaulted Lillie and tried to screw over Giovanni by proving he's the biggest of the bad!) like tossing Kanto Pokemon in and ruining the game's appeal, it was a literal fresh start! You were forced into using entire new Pokemon as old favorites like Pikachu/Eevee and Charizard weren't forced into it like they are nowadays. But if it's just like the DP remakes and the story is essentially the same, I'm all for it!
Plus BW legends could complete the Unova lore and give us the Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem complete form! Especially since new games actually add new Pokemon now. Hopefully they patch the Pokemon into SWSH if so, not like they're doing a third game anyways

Granted Megas would be pretty useless being included in Unova since Audino is literally the only freaking one for some dumb reason! -_-

I like that they've returned to the old ways of Pokemon games, last year we got the MD remakes and SWSH! This year we get Snap 2 and DP remakes with Legends a few months later! It's quite nice given the past few years we literally only got mobile stuff and a main game once a year or so. Really making me more optimistic towards the future(Now they just need to stop the needless gen 1 pandering crap), hopefully we get another Shadow game and a new Mystery Dungeon story soon! :D

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The Elite Four are going to be using their Platinum Pokemon roster because there's absolutely no way that they'll make Flint a Fire-type Elite 4 member with only two Fire-types again.
I actually liked how the Elite Four & some of gym leaders didn’t have monotype teams. It shows their skills as trainers since they have more varieties & strategies than they would if they just used the same types, similar to Raihan had a weather team that enhanced his Dragon types rather than a mini Dragon team

Autobot N

I actually liked how the Elite Four & some of gym leaders didn’t have monotype teams. It shows their skills as trainers since they have more varieties & strategies than they would if they just used the same types, similar to Raihan had a weather team that enhanced his Dragon types rather than a mini Dragon team
But there's a difference between Raihain having a weather team and Flint not having a full Fire type team because there literally aren't enough Fire types for that. What would have been interesting is if they gave Flint some grass type Pokemon like Cherrim so he could have a sunlight-based team

Captainrex717

Catcher of 'Mons
But there's a difference between Raihain having a weather team and Flint not having a full Fire type team because there literally aren't enough Fire types for that. What would have been interesting is if they gave Flint some grass type Pokemon like Cherrim so he could have a sunlight-based team
Now here's a guy...This guy might just GET it. Y'know?