• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

TyranatarGojira

That and Lord Masuda deemed it as too difficult for their 'target audience' in ORAS (IIRC).
Which is stupid, because it's entirely optional, and more a thing to do if you have beaten the main game, and want more replayability. Besides you'll just get eaten alive in online against skilled players anyways.
So much this. I’m going to play the entire game with headphones like I did when I first played Diamond.
I'm not playing it with a nonfunctional A button.
The Elite Four are going to be using their Platinum Pokemon roster because there's absolutely no way that they'll make Flint a Fire-type Elite 4 member with only two Fire-types again.
Well they did it in the first place...

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm not playing it with a nonfunctional A button.
I don’t see how that’s relevant to what I said but congratulations on doing what everyone else does I guess?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Maybe we should be a little less vehement about asserting that these games will have no new features until we actually know that. We've seen one trailer that barely showed off anything at all so far. We have utterly no idea whether or not new features will be present in these games or not so rehashing the same tired points about how terrible that is and how awful these games will be because of it is poisoning the well for no good reason.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Maybe we should be a little less vehement about asserting that these games will have no new features until we actually know that. We've seen one trailer that barely showed off anything at all so far. We have utterly no idea whether or not new features will be present in these games or not so rehashing the same tired points about how terrible that is and how awful these games will be because of it is poisoning the well for no good reason.
I agree. It's sad but expected, especially in the Pokemon fanbase who has a very vocal community.

The trailer really didn't showcase much so first impressions would definitely jump to that conclusion very quickly. It also didn't help that they said that these remakes will be "faithful" to the originals, again not something a lot of people would want to hear.

I honestly hope that whenever the next info arrives, they would provide something "different" and/or "new". Or evidence of the Platinum Dex to sway opinions.

DanZamVA

I agree. It's sad but expected, especially in the Pokemon fanbase who has a very vocal community.

The trailer really didn't showcase much so first impressions would definitely jump to that conclusion very quickly. It also didn't help that they said that these remakes will be "faithful" to the originals, again not something a lot of people would want to hear.

I honestly hope that whenever the next info arrives, they would provide something "different" and/or "new". Or evidence of the Platinum Dex to sway opinions.
I actually think it's a good thing people are tempering their expectations. SwSh came out, and it was a ton of "Don't worry. It's old, they'll fix it. They've got a year. They've got time. They're gonna surprise us". And it ultimately led to a lot of people being even more disappointed. There were definitely a lot of people screaming and hollering, but I feel like with this announcement more people aren't necessarily screaming, unless I'm just missing it, but are actually being more skeptical and critical instead. At least if people are tempering their expectations, if more stuff does get revealed everyone can slowly start going "Okay, good. They are at LEAST doing such and such" as opposed to just running in with blind excitement expecting stuff to be in, and finding out later it's not and being disappointed again.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Seems people's issues with graphics just boils down to just the two mc's chibis which even I think is a bit overblown. Otherwise, people have no issue with everything else in the overworld.
Well the character models in general being chibi, but yes, that's certainly the case with me. I don't mind the graphics being close to the originals, it adds to the nostalgia, but I'd at least want to be able to view the character designs in the overworld without needing a microscope.

BCVM22

Will Looker and Charon be in the remakes?

You saw the same short reveal trailer we did. What's our means of knowing this definitively at the moment?
rehashing the same tired points about how terrible that is and how awful these games will be because of it is poisoning the well for no good reason.

This is a feature and not a bug. The self-inflicted misery is the point for so many.

Aetius

The remake's style isn't my cup of tea, but at least the environment seems to be okay (gotta love that water surface)
Still, I'll play it anyway, as it might contain new contents, especially related to Arceus and thus the Legends chapter

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
I am honestly buzzing for these games. I know they're not what a lot of people expected, but given that we're getting the big open world thing very shortly after with Legends Arceus, this pair of games will be a lovely return for Sinnoh to tide us over in the few short months between their release and Legends' release. One or two have said they are looking forward to the soundtrack- I personally cannot wait either, it's going to sound gorgeous on the Switch, particularly coming through TV! On the subject of just the original 493 or whether they will include any more, I hope the fact that ILCA made the game and so had all the models from HOME means it would he easier to include more mons? Not super fussed on this but I would like to see at least those mons from all gens included that are missing from SWSH. And then maybe patch then retrospectively inti SWSH? Anyway, cant wait.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I couldn't care less about the art style, it's a next-gen remake of what is probably the most content-filled games that you don't have to pay an additional fee to make the experience last longer than a few hours ever in Pokémon history playable on probably Nintendo's most popular console as well as finally being able to enjoy it on a TV.

I just hope the LCD-ization of the past few spins around the great content machine known as Pokemon doesn't rub off too much here.

Alpacawhisperer

Pokemon master
I just hope the LCD-ization of the past few spins around the great content machine known as Pokemon doesn't rub off too much here.
I'm a little out of the loop on this stuff. Can I ask what you are referring to (and what LCD-ization is)? Also I'm tired, so that could be the reason I'm not understanding:)

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I'm a little out of the loop on this stuff. Can I ask what you are referring to (and what LCD-ization is)? Also I'm tired, so that could be the reason I'm not understanding:)
LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. Liquid crystals do not emit light directly, but use a backlight or reflector to produce images in color or monochrome/black and white instead.

Alpacawhisperer

Pokemon master
LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. Liquid crystals do not emit light directly, but use a backlight or reflector to produce images in color or monochrome/black and white instead.
Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining that. I would imagine that has a big impact on the picture quality, so I could see how that would be a concern.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
The graphics look a bit underwhelming, but hopefully that'll leave for more new things. I'm also curious about the pokedex. Platinum's regional dex was one of my favorites. I'm hoping to keep at least that.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
The original DP had some serious balancing issues with its PokeDex (such as the famous lack of Fire-types) so I'm hoping they'll go with the Platinum Dex, or at least an improved version of the DP Dex.

amoebo

amoeboVGC

LCD stands for Lowest Common Denominator, which is the term I use to describe the path a company takes when the status of their brand begins to outweigh the actual pros/cons of the product. The product begins to innovate less and less, and attempt to appeal to the very basics of what makes the franchise, well, the franchise.

Think of it like iPhones, Disney/Marvel, Call of Duty, etc- they can sell on name alone, so they do not feel the drive to compete. Thankfully with BDSP and Legends it would appear TPCi is shifting from this.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Oh no, it's not just the main characters for me, the game just looks bad and old. It doesn't feel like a remake, it feels like a remaster at this point. The only things that look new are the battle scenes and even then it's like lets go battle style so it's not even like that's fresh.

Literally outside of like side games like smile or rumble, I've never just been outright not interested in a main pokemon game like I am with this.

The ONLY reason there is to go back to a region is if the graphics are way better then the original game, and all the games did that until now. I'd honestly prefer the DPP graphics to whatever this is supposed to be.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
this new series is... something. while i like Dawns character, im not a fan of the chibi style. i honestly dont know if i got another round of new pokemon games in me. i havent touched sword in a month and have fallen back on previous gen games.

Last edited: