• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Well they did it in the first place...
An issue which was fixed in Platinum. In fact, Platinum's Elite Four roster made fundamental changes to the team like Aaron replacing Dustox and Beautifly with Yanmega and Scizor and Lucian having Espeon and Gallade instead of Girafarig.
Maybe we should be a little less vehement about asserting that these games will have no new features until we actually know that. We've seen one trailer that barely showed off anything at all so far. We have utterly no idea whether or not new features will be present in these games or not so rehashing the same tired points about how terrible that is and how awful these games will be because of it is poisoning the well for no good reason.
The Pokémon company is marketing these games as "faithful recreations" of Diamond and Pearl so blame them for placing that kind of expectation.
Seems people's issues with graphics just boils down to just the two mc's chibis which even I think is a bit overblown. Otherwise, people have no issue with everything else in the overworld.
Blaming the issue to Chibi designs is a gross oversimplification if the real issue. The real issue is poor lighting, simplistic textures and no outline on the character models.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
I'm not even a Platinum fanboy, but surely they would want a chance to redo the distortion world in glorious modern graphics? Even in the chibi cartoony graphic style that it's been designed in, it's a great chance to redo an iconic pokemon feature. Perhaps a Giratin! postgame? And what do people think will happen with pokemon originally hidden behind events e.g. Darkrai? I wonder if a DLC pack could make areas like new moon island and flower paradise available (I shouldn't think they will make Arceus available due to Legends Arceus, but I may be wrong)

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I'm not even a Platinum fanboy, but surely they would want a chance to redo the distortion world in glorious modern graphics? Even in the chibi cartoony graphic style that it's been designed in, it's a great chance to redo an iconic pokemon feature. Perhaps a Giratin! postgame? And what do people think will happen with pokemon originally hidden behind events e.g. Darkrai? I wonder if a DLC pack could make areas like new moon island and flower paradise available (I shouldn't think they will make Arceus available due to Legends Arceus, but I may be wrong)
Arceus I think will be made available regularly in Legends but as for the others, I can see Darkrai and Shaymin possibly being post game episodes with Cresselia playing more importance to Darkrai’s quest where you get the Lunar Wing to wake the boy up from his nightmare induced state but then the Member Card mysteriously appears in a delivery package at your house and your mom says that it is addressed to you and there’s a strange message inside that tells you to go to the abandoned Motel in Canalave City. From there the events play out like in Platinum except this time there is a forest maze that you must go through and each wrong path leads you to the starting point and you see Cresselia appear in front of you after you catch Darkrai and then it wakes you up by shining brightly in the dream world. As for Shaymin, I think that Lucas/Dawn or Prof Rowan will give you Oak’s Letter and at the white rock, a single Shaymin appears looking sad and Marley suggests that perhaps it’s sad because there is no one around for it to give gratitude. You then make the thankfulness note to the rock and a path suddenly appears. Marley suggests that the three of you follow the newly discovered path and along the way you can change camera angles and you see various wild Pokémon passing by and flying overhead such as Combee and Beautifly. Then you reach the Flower Paradise and this time we get a new cutscene that shows multiple Shaymin in both Formes frolicking in the fields. The Shaymin is extremely happy to see the other Shaymin and you and Marley try to get it to join the others but it seems to not want to leave your side. Marley then says that this Shaymin must have taken a liking to you and that it looks like it wants to join you on your adventure. You then can catch Shaymin.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm looking forward to digging for treasure again. Also wondering how they'll handle secret bases.

Back in 2009, Junichi Masuda stated that he originally wanted full online multiplayer co-op for up to 16 players in the Underground, but the DS couldn't handle it. We could possibly finally see that come to light.

As for the Secret Bases, I'm hoping they're at least as good as they were in ORAS. I'd love to have a gym again.

Autobot N

Arceus I think will be made available regularly in Legends but as for the others, I can see Darkrai and Shaymin possibly being post game episodes with Cresselia playing more importance to Darkrai’s quest where you get the Lunar Wing to wake the boy up from his nightmare induced state but then the Member Card mysteriously appears in a delivery package at your house and your mom says that it is addressed to you and there’s a strange message inside that tells you to go to the abandoned Motel in Canalave City. From there the events play out like in Platinum except this time there is a forest maze that you must go through and each wrong path leads you to the starting point and you see Cresselia appear in front of you after you catch Darkrai and then it wakes you up by shining brightly in the dream world. As for Shaymin, I think that Lucas/Dawn or Prof Rowan will give you Oak’s Letter and at the white rock, a single Shaymin appears looking sad and Marley suggests that perhaps it’s sad because there is no one around for it to give gratitude. You then make the thankfulness note to the rock and a path suddenly appears. Marley suggests that the three of you follow the newly discovered path and along the way you can change camera angles and you see various wild Pokémon passing by and flying overhead such as Combee and Beautifly. Then you reach the Flower Paradise and this time we get a new cutscene that shows multiple Shaymin in both Formes frolicking in the fields. The Shaymin is extremely happy to see the other Shaymin and you and Marley try to get it to join the others but it seems to not want to leave your side. Marley then says that this Shaymin must have taken a liking to you and that it looks like it wants to join you on your adventure. You then can catch Shaymin.
Unfortunately, we'll probably get none of that and instead we'll just get the Pokemon through Mystery Gift

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I could see Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai or Shaymin (but probably not all of them) being available in BD/SP's postgame storyline like Deoxys was in OR/AS, but failing that it's likely that at least one of them will be available in Legends: Arceus.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I could see Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai or Shaymin (but probably not all of them) being available in BD/SP's postgame storyline like Deoxys was in OR/AS, but failing that it's likely that at least one of them will be available in Legends: Arceus.
Additionally it would be kind of weird to be able to access every area there (and hear reference to it) without it showing up at *some point* in some way.

Bus

Not going to lie, the LoZ: Link's Chibi-fication style of this remake is pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a D/P remake. I was unsure a Sw/Sh would even work for the Sinnoh region since it wasn't initially designed to be like that. Sure, they could manage to work something in (like making the whole Mountain Region be a big, vertical wild area bisecting the region) but the older games are better off in the style they were created in.

Just my opinion and preference of course, but I am glad it looks the way it does. It should be a simple, HD version of Diamond/Pearl while Legends: Arceus is the new & innovative path that everyone else wants. I honestly think its the best of both worlds.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Not going to lie, the LoZ: Link's Chibi-fication style of this remake is pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a D/P remake. I was unsure a Sw/Sh would even work for the Sinnoh region since it wasn't initially designed to be like that. Sure, they could manage to work something in (like making the whole Mountain Region be a big, vertical wild area bisecting the region) but the older games are better off in the style they were created in.

Just my opinion and preference of course, but I am glad it looks the way it does. It should be a simple, HD version of Diamond/Pearl while Legends: Arceus is the new & innovative path that everyone else wants. I honestly think its the best of both worlds.
I came to peace with the game being with this style, but the quality is very bad in my opinion. It isnt closed to the ones of LoZ:Links Awakening, in the slightest. In my opinion

amoebo

amoeboVGC
Art edits are dumb.
Would love to know why you feel this way, when one of the main art edits listed in your quoted post is "outlines"

My thoughts on the art style is that it's not great but it's not offensive. Inside buildings looks much uglier than outside which is odd.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Would love to know why you feel this way, when one of the main art edits listed in your quoted post is "outlines"

My thoughts on the art style is that it's not great but it's not offensive. Inside buildings looks much uglier than outside which is odd.
Because you're not really fixing anything.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
Because you're not really fixing anything.
.....that's not really the goal? It's just to show that outlined models look marginally better? I am not fixing anything when I go on a spiel about how much my favorite sports team's coach sucks. It's just to show that common folk can make something *feel* better.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

Bus

I came to peace with the game being with this style, but the quality is very bad in my opinion. It isnt closed to the ones of LoZ:Links Awakening, in the slightest. In my opinion
I think the next time they're ready to present it, things will appear a LOT better. That could just be hope on my part, but I think it appears the way it does due to the Japanese Watercolor-inspired art style they chose.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I think the next time they're ready to present it, things will appear a LOT better. That could just be hope on my part, but I think it appears the way it does due to the Japanese Watercolor-inspired art style they chose.
It will look less or more about the same... unfortunately
"what u see is what u get"

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The one thing I'm expecting with the remakes is that Cynthia's most likely won't be as much of a challenge as she was back in the day for the following reasons:
  1. She'll most likely use exact copies of her original team (whether they go with the DP or Platinum version) if they go all-in with the "faithful adaptation" aspect of the reboots
  2. The inclusion of Fairy types will severely nerf her Garchomp & Spiritomb (the latter of which didn't have any weaknesses unless you went in with a pokemon who had Mind Reader or Foresight)
  3. Everyone who played the original DP games are now older and have a better understanding of battling, abilities, EVs, IVs, and the type match ups. Plus competitive battling has become more common with players that they'll come up with perfect strategies to counter Cynthia
  4. Videos like nuzlocke challenges and "Can you beat X game with Y pokemon" kind of showed how easy the in-game battles are for some people and Cynthia won't be as threatening as she used to be
I'm still hoping Cynthia will put up more of a challenge in the remakes, but I'm going in with low expectations & waiting to see everyone complaining that she's not as strong as she used to be or how they "ruined the best champion in pokemon"

Last edited: