• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The one thing I'm expecting with the remakes is that Cynthia's most likely won't be as much of a challenge as she was back in the day for the following reasons:
  1. She'll most likely use exact copies of her original team (whether they go with the DP or Platinum version) if they go all-in with the "faithful adaptation" aspect of the reboots
  2. The inclusion of Fairy types will severely nerf her Garchomp & Spiritomb (the latter of which didn't have any weaknesses unless you went in with a pokemon who had Mind Reader or Foresight)
  3. Everyone who played the original DP games are now older and have a better understanding of battling, abilities, EVs, IVs, and the type match ups. Plus competitive battling has become more common with players that they'll come up with perfect strategies to counter Cynthia
  4. Videos like nuzlocke challenges and "Can you beat X game with Y pokemon" kind of showed how easy the in-game battles are for some people and Cynthia won't be as threatening as she used to be
I'm still hoping Cynthia will put up more of a challenge in the remakes, but I'm going in with low expectations & waiting to see everyone complaining that she's not as strong as she used to be or how they "ruined the best champion in pokemon"
They usually try to give their Pokemon moves that counter their common weaknesses now. So Garchomp will probably have Iron Head or Poison Jab to mitigate the advantage Fairies might have against them. Spiritomb doesn't have any Poison or Steel type moves though, so unless they change its moveset to give it one, Fairies probably will make it easier.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Geez. I wasn't really saying they *are* better. A poster above me mentioned that the models need outlines. I just gathered the edits I found on reddit.
They character models definitely need outlines, especially for a game with a top-down view. The brighter colors in the battles also screams for black outlines since models as of now lack shadows. You can especially see that in the battle entrance with Barry if you look at his hair.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
The one thing I'm expecting with the remakes is that Cynthia's most likely won't be as much of a challenge as she was back in the day for the following reasons:
  1. She'll most likely use exact copies of her original team (whether they go with the DP or Platinum version) if they go all-in with the "faithful adaptation" aspect of the reboots
  2. The inclusion of Fairy types will severely nerf her Garchomp & Spiritomb (the latter of which didn't have any weaknesses unless you went in with a pokemon who had Mind Reader or Foresight)
  3. Everyone who played the original DP games are now older and have a better understanding of battling, abilities, EVs, IVs, and the type match ups. Plus competitive battling has become more common with players that they'll come up with perfect strategies to counter Cynthia
  4. Videos like nuzlocke challenges and "Can you beat X game with Y pokemon" kind of showed how easy the in-game battles are for some people and Cynthia won't be as threatening as she used to be
I'm still hoping Cynthia will put up more of a challenge in the remakes, but I'm going in with low expectations & waiting to see everyone complaining that she's not as strong as she used to be or how they "ruined the best champion in pokemon"

1. Look, if they go faithful with her teams, that means that she might not be a challenge for the people who faced her many times, but she will be for the people who haven't, which will be numerous. I've played Platinum to death and I am excited for these games (even if I'm now playing Renegade Platinum on an emulator, which is the best thing since sliced bread (I mean Ghost/Fairy Mismagius!) - and the Cynthia fight is always that one match you're looking up to - even in playthrough number 364.
2. Fairy-types are nice, but if you're like me and you only want to play with Gen4-pokémon, you'll notice that I'm pretty much tied to Togekiss (if it's available). I honestly never had much trouble with Spiritomb since its stats aren't all that great and Garchomp has a crippling 4x Ice weakness - and Ice Beam is easy to slap onto any bulky Water-type (not named Empoleon, since it's weak to Ground).
3. Okay, this may just be me.. But I was playing since Red came out. So I was probably 16ish when I was playing Diamond for the first time. I didn't need strategy to beat Cynthia, I just needed my Floatzel to be faster then her Garchomp, which resulted in overlevelling the hell out of it - and using tons of potions during the battle.
4. Have you ever tried a Sinnoh Nuzlocke? The fun with Nuzlocke's is that you can make them as hard as you wish and the game can become increasingly hard and Cynthia is still terrifying. Try additional rules like set-mode, no overlevelling gymleaders, no items (held items are allowed). Suddenly stuff like Bibarel, Zubat and Geodude become your best friends and fishing for that Gyarados is pretty much a necessity and not a choice.

I'd rather megas weren't included in these games (as well as z moves and dynamax/gmax). I'm not really fond of gimmicks like these in a remake.

Honestly, if they put in the Platinum Dex, these will be the available Mega's:

Gen1:
- Likely the Kanto-starters if merchandise is to be believed.
- Alakazam
- Gyarados
- Pinsir
- Gengar
Gen2:
- Houndoom
- Scizor
- Steelix
- Heracross
Gen3:
- Gardevoir
- Altaria
- Medicham
- Glalie
Gen4:
- Lucario
- Garchomp
- Lopunny
- Gallade
- Abomasnow

Honestly, this is such a nice spread in terms of type diversity and generational diversity.

I'm not saying these should be in the game, but darn it, I really want to use Mega Lopunny. :p

I’m tired of the Pokémon Company and GameFreak constantly shoving the Kanto starters down our throats. Give us something different like the Johto starters, Unova starters or Kalos starters in BDSP instead. They’ve been doing that since Gen 6 (XY) and more consistently in recent years (LGPE, SWSH, etc.)

Pokémon Legends: Arceus. Rowlet, Cyndaquil, Oshawott.

The way I interpreted “faithful” was that these remakes would follow DP in a similar fashion and have artwork reminiscent of the originals but there would also be new surprises in store for us. I don’t think the Dex will be exactly the same as DP as fans complained about the lack of variety for some typings in the original Sinnoh Dex which is why I think Platinum increased the Dex size and those changes will be will stay with a few more additions. None of the remakes are 100% faithful to the original games. FRLG allowed players to chose a female trainer and had the first three Sevii Islands be an optional part of the main story after winning the Volcano Badge, HGSS rewrote the TR plot by incorporating Ethan/Lyra into the conflict and even how you got some of the Key Items, ORAS incorporated Mega Evolution to have always been a thing and your interactions with Magma and Aqua up until you capture Kyogre or Groudon have different dialogue and even how many Grunts you battle and where.

This is a really well written post that deserves more credit. I really hope you're right on the money here.

Orthographer

Word-Nerd
I'm of two minds here: I had difficulty getting into the original Sinnoh games because of the constant grinding, HMs, and other annoyances (I tried them out after playing more recent generations) and had been looking forward to an opportunity to play them with later generations' gameplay improvements, but I don't know that these remakes will do it for me. I don't mind the chibi art style, but the quality looks more like an iPhone game than a console game. I'll have to see more previews over the next few months to decide whether I'm going to give them a try or not. (I am, though, hyped for Legends: Arceus!)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Well, I hope u r right. I just dont want to get my hopes up. But we will talk in the future and see who was right
I am 100% right even if it turns out the games are an exact remake and there are absolutely zero new features at all. I'm not trying to say that absolutely isn't the case (we don't have enough information to say that either), but as of right now, we have no reason to assume that is the case. We just can't say much of anything with any certainty right now. Just wait until we get more information before making these sweeping assumptions.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I am 100% right even if it turns out the games are an exact remake and there are absolutely zero new features at all. I'm not trying to say that absolutely isn't the case (we don't have enough information to say that either), but as of right now, we have no reason to assume that is the case. We just can't say much of anything with any certainty right now. Just wait until we get more information before making these sweeping assumptions.
How r u 100 % right even if its exact remake

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

WaterTrainer243

Veteran Water Lover
What are you talking about? Of course the Safari Zone returned in ORAS.
But not the way it was supposed to. You weren't given Safari Balls, you didn't have a time limit, and you didn't have the options of Throwing a Safari Ball, a Rock, or Bait. There was no real challenge! In the Safari Zones from Gens 1-4, you had that. But Gen V didn't have any Safari Zones, and the Safari Zones we got in Gen VI weren't even a real challenge.

Anyway, I also have to wonder, will the Contest Hall in Hearthome City return?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Anyway, I also have to wonder, will the Contest Hall in Hearthome City return?
I would say yes considering ORAS had Contests and Poffin making is pretty similar to making Curry in SwSh (I.e. stirring until the time runs out, checking temperature, etc.) The Contests themselves might be drastically changed into something like Contest Spectaculars but still the same in functionality.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

janejane6178

I also hope they wont make thit games a simple version of the originals. If so, I wpuld have rathered they uploaded the originals instead

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
  1. She'll most likely use exact copies of her original team (whether they go with the DP or Platinum version) if they go all-in with the "faithful adaptation" aspect of the reboots.
He's more than likely going to be using her Platinum team because Togekiss has appeared in Cynthia's roster for Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black/White and Pokemon Black 2/White 2.
I hope they dont remove contests.
Contests were in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl.

janejane6178

He's more than likely going to be using her Platinum team because Togekiss has appeared in Cynthia's roster for Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black/White and Pokemon Black 2/White 2.

Contests were in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl.
Right they were... Thats why I hope it stays this way in the Switch version

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I don't really like the fact that they are referencing the older art style considering that it was not a choice but rather a technical limitation of the DS.

That's also not to mention that faces (the biggest part of chibi) in Pokemon don't really show emotion. So the bigger emphasis on the head does get old after a while since it's not really something that changes during the gameplay.
It's just... not? HG/SS has an art style. B/W has an artstyle. Every game *has* an artstyle and to say that it was due to the DS's technical limitations is just beyond silly. I don't see how you can come to this conclusion without likewise drawing up that any game on limited hardware doesn't have an artstyle choice, it instead has a forced decision for it's art.
But who cares about these people? Eternally. Why let these inherently toxic people - or people with a vested interest in pushing toxicity - drive the discourse? We’d collectively be better off for unfollowing, muting, blocking the vast majority of these people.
I think what the prior poster means in their post is people actively critiquing the games, which (whether some folks want to believe) is a useful tool in evaluating the quality of the games. SwSh were okay games, and just because some people will like anything that has the Pokemon name brand LLC on it doesn't mean that criticism, no matter how overwhelming or seemingly farcical, is toxic.

janejane6178

I’m not seeing any reason why they wouldn’t be in it. Like I’m not seeing how your coming to the conclusion that Contest won’t be in the remakes when they were in the original.
Where did you see that my conclusion is that the remakes wont have contests?
I said : " I hope the remakes will have contests".
Learn to read :)

ShadowForce720

Where did you see that my conclusion is that the remakes wont have contests?
I said : " I hope the remakes will have contests".
Learn to read :)
That would literally imply that you think there is a chance that contest won’t be in the D&P remakes, which I’m not sure how your coming to that conclusion.

And you know very well what I meant, don’t try to act like I’m misreading what your saying.

janejane6178

That would literally imply that you think there is a chance that contest won’t be in the D&P remakes, which I’m not sure how your coming to that conclusion.

And you know very well what I meant, don’t try to act like I’m misreading what your saying.
How does that imply anything? I said I hope its in the new games. That's all it says. But u decided to read behind the lines and attack me somehow.
Please don't bother to reply cuz you are on my ignores list now :)

Anyway, I wonder if HMs will stay in the games

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
It's just... not? HG/SS has an art style. B/W has an artstyle. Every game *has* an artstyle and to say that it was due to the DS's technical limitations is just beyond silly. I don't see how you can come to this conclusion without likewise drawing up that any game on limited hardware doesn't have an artstyle choice, it instead has a forced decision for it's art.

I think what the prior poster means in their post is people actively critiquing the games, which (whether some folks want to believe) is a useful tool in evaluating the quality of the games. SwSh were okay games, and just because some people will like anything that has the Pokemon name brand LLC on it doesn't mean that criticism, no matter how overwhelming or seemingly farcical, is toxic.

Well, we can't say that for every game because Pokemon is the one that *had* to work on DS rather than the more powerful device.

DS wasn't PS3. That is approximately what I was trying say. Pokemon switched to 3D as soon as they had their hands on 3DS. Pokemon tried to create wild area and changing camera angle as soon as it was allowed to release on switch (the execution is for another day).

So while it's not technically a limitation of Pokemon, it is certainly a limitation of DS. I don't think Pokemon wouldn't have gone for 3D had it been allowed to release on PS3 back in 2007. It's an artistic choice within DS, which is limited in itself.

Currently, GF/ILCA do not have that disadvantage of having to tailor the games according to a lesser device because you are developing for a current generation console. I don't think it is really silly to claim that DP is an hardware limitation rather than an aesthetic preference.

Animal Crossing running on a PS5 would be a choice because that was the intented art direction. Diamond and Pearl on DS is a limitation because you cannot make it better even if you want to. The platform just didn't have the juice.