• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I know they won't do it, but my ideal scenario would be the story proceeding like DP until Cyrus summons the box legendary, but before he can revert the world, Giratina shows up and drags Cyrus and the box legendary into the Distortion World. Then it proceeds like Platinum's story, except you catch the box legendary to fight Giratina and escape, and you don't get to catch Giratina yet (you'd have to come back to Turnback Cave in the post game). Then, the postgame story would be an expanded version of the thing with the sailor's son and you get to catch Darkrai at the end of it.
If I could hazard a guess as to how your idea of the postgame story would go down, it'd be you get the member's card to stay at the inn as a reward after you cure the sailor's son of his nightmare.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
It's just... not? HG/SS has an art style. B/W has an artstyle. Every game *has* an artstyle and to say that it was due to the DS's technical limitations is just beyond silly. I don't see how you can come to this conclusion without likewise drawing up that any game on limited hardware doesn't have an artstyle choice, it instead has a forced decision for it's art.
Every mainline Pokémon game prior to the Nintendo 3DS entries were just a graphical evolution of the sprite-work design of the original Red and Green. X and Y were arguably the first games to truly implement an art style in the definitive sense.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
After watching the trailer again I noticed that the Honey Trees are present near the Valley Windworks and Route 205. Biggest complaint I had with these trees in the original games was you had to wait six hours to see the result of which Pokemon would appear. Only after waiting to find out it's just another Combee, Wurmple, or Burmy. In BDSP I'm hoping that rarer Pokemon like Heracross and Munchlax will have higher chances of appearing.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
After watching the trailer again I noticed that the Honey Trees are present near the Valley Windworks and Route 205. Biggest complaint I had with these trees in the original games was you had to wait six hours to see the result of which Pokemon would appear. Only after waiting to find out it's just another Combee, Wurmple, or Burmy. In BDSP I'm hoping that rarer Pokemon like Heracross and Munchlax will have higher chances of appearing.
It could be nice if it could attract Pokemon from newer gens... but doubt it will happen..

Orphalesion

Not gonna lie, the Honey Trees sound all kinds of awful. Especially since Vespiquen is one of my favourite Pokemon that I like to use in various play-throughs.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Yeah, I've seen people wanting Munchlax to be easier to acquire, a 1% encounter on only 4 specific trees determined at game start is insane. I think they will make it easier to acquire given in ORAS the encounter rate of Chimecho on Mt Pyre's summit increased from 2% in gen 3 to 5% and also changed how to get Feebas from six random squares to 5% anywhere or guaranteed under the bridge, and on that note, that gives me hope that Feebas will be easier to acquire as well since DP only had it on four random tiles in Mt Coronet.

So yeah, I think Munchlax will likely go the Feebas route and be 5% across all trees, and Feebas the same in the body of water in Mt Coronet.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
It could be nice if it could attract Pokemon from newer gens... but doubt it will happen..
I could see that happening in post-game, like you get a special type of honey from other regions that increase the chance of a non-Sinnoh Pokemon appearing, it would be a nice way of having newer generation Pokemon in the game without transferring and also an opportunity to bring back at least some Pokemon that didn't make it into the Galar Pokedex.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Do you think this game will give us a New Mythical AKA Pokemon 899 or they will leave it for Legends Arceus?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The only regional forms I can honestly see being found in Sinnoh would be the Ice types but only as part of the post game and most likely encountered using the Poke Radar. The area I could picture them the most would be outside the peak of Mt Cornet for Darumaka and Darmanitan who act like yeti, upper Mt Cornet caves for Sandshrew and Sandslash, and the routes from the Mt Cornet to Snowpoint City for Vulpix and Ninetales. The rest don’t seem to fit Sinnoh very well with the exception of Meowth and its evolutions as House cats can be found anywhere and not needing any specialized habitat conditions. I just think that the foreign Dex entries feature will be replaced by a Regional Form feature as Pokémon is now a fully international game and the novelty of having a Pokémon from a different country that speaks a different language has been long gone since Gen V as XY made trading Pokémon online even easier and we get Pokémon through Mystery Gift based on Japanese and Korean Tournament participants all the time.

ShadowForce720

The only regional forms I can honestly see being found in Sinnoh would be the Ice types but only as part of the post game and most likely encountered using the Poke Radar. The area I could picture them the most would be outside the peak of Mt Cornet for Darumaka and Darmanitan who act like yeti, upper Mt Cornet caves for Sandshrew and Sandslash, and the routes from the Mt Cornet to Snowpoint City for Vulpix and Ninetales. The rest don’t seem to fit Sinnoh very well with the exception of Meowth and its evolutions as House cats can be found anywhere and not needing any specialized habitat conditions. I just think that the foreign Dex entries feature will be replaced by a Regional Form feature as Pokémon is now a fully international game and the novelty of having a Pokémon from a different country that speaks a different language has been long gone since Gen V as XY made trading Pokémon online even easier and we get Pokémon through Mystery Gift based on Japanese and Korean Tournament participants all the time.
Honestly when it comes to the Alola and Galarian Forms they can easily just do how they handled in Let’s Go and the Sword and Shield(+DLCs) where they just have a trainer from the Alola region and/or Galar region trade them to you and you can transfer them in.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Speaking of new Mythicals, isn't it almost the time of year where they reveal them?
I'm wondering if they will not move the movies from mid-July to Christmas time and, thus, the reveal of new Mythicals will be postponed.

If the New movie will air end of 2021 I can totally see the Mythical appearing in Legends and not BDSP...

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I've been looking at the DP dex and I just noticed that the region was also depraved of ice-types; only Snover and Sneasel lines. Funny considering northern Sinnoh is cold, and we have Mt. Coronet.

I seriously hope that they don't stick to just the Platinum Dex either. I really hope they expand more than that. I doubt the additions of Gen 5 and beyond pre-League though.

In effect, I hope the Gym Leaders' teams would be expanded as well. The first 6 gym leaders only have 3 Pokemon, then the last two only have 4.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Yeah, I've seen people wanting Munchlax to be easier to acquire, a 1% encounter on only 4 specific trees determined at game start is insane. I think they will make it easier to acquire given in ORAS the encounter rate of Chimecho on Mt Pyre's summit increased from 2% in gen 3 to 5% and also changed how to get Feebas from six random squares to 5% anywhere or guaranteed under the bridge, and on that note, that gives me hope that Feebas will be easier to acquire as well since DP only had it on four random tiles in Mt Coronet.

So yeah, I think Munchlax will likely go the Feebas route and be 5% across all trees, and Feebas the same in the body of water in Mt Coronet.

To be fair, there's not as many tiles of water in that part of mt.coronet as opposed to that Hoenn Route. If they keep the tiles-thing, they should just make the encounter rate on those tiles 60-70% and it's good enough for me.

I've been looking at the DP dex and I just noticed that the region was also depraved of ice-types; only Snover and Sneasel lines. Funny considering northern Sinnoh is cold, and we have Mt. Coronet.

I seriously hope that they don't stick to just the Platinum Dex either. I really hope they expand more than that. I doubt the additions of Gen 5 and beyond pre-League though.

In effect, I hope the Gym Leaders' teams would be expanded as well. The first 6 gym leaders only have 3 Pokemon, then the last two only have 4.

Platinum Dex means you have:
- Snorunt, Abomasnow
- Sneasel, Weavile
- Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass
- Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine
- Glaceon

Since B2W2 gave us fully evolved capturable stuff like Dragonite and Kingdra (and Platinum even gave us Gengar iirc), I'm fine with seeing wild Abomasnow, Mamoswine, Glalie or Glaceon on Mt.Coronet. Along with stuff like Bronzong and that would be fine.

Maybe some of the Alolan Form pokemon like Sandslash at Coronet and Ninetales near Snowpoint, bit keep them postgame. They could be great assets if there are upgraded teams for rematches.

Candice:
- A-Ninetales
- Froslass
- Glaceon
- Weavile
- Mamoswine
- (Mega-)Abomasnow

I guess Sandslash can be kept for Byron.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
To be fair, there's not as many tiles of water in that part of mt.coronet as opposed to that Hoenn Route. If they keep the tiles-thing, they should just make the encounter rate on those tiles 60-70% and it's good enough for me.
It was still a pain to be fair, though I do think they'll do the same as they did with ORAS.

I'm fine with seeing wild Abomasnow, Mamoswine, Glalie or Glaceon on Mt.Coronet. Along with stuff like Bronzong and that would be fine.
To be fair, wild Abomasnow atop Mt Coronet was already a thing.

Orphalesion

Maybe some of the Alolan Form pokemon like Sandslash at Coronet and Ninetales near Snowpoint, bit keep them postgame. They could be great assets if there are upgraded teams for rematches.
Why keep them post-game though, why not let us play with the nice toys during the main story? I don't see any reason not to. Plus, can't you get them during the story on the Isle of Armor?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Feebas could possibly be placed in a specific area in the Mt Cornet basement where it is found very often like they did in ORAS. I think that the developers learned that players weren’t very fond of the ridiculous ways of searching literally every water tile in a very specific location that changes randomly either daily or by creating a Trendy Saying.

Bus

Feebas could possibly be placed in a specific area in the Mt Cornet basement where it is found very often like they did in ORAS. I think that the developers learned that players weren’t very fond of the ridiculous ways of searching literally every water tile in a very specific location that changes randomly either daily or by creating a Trendy Saying.
How was anyone ever supposed to naturally find that without help? And then making it evolve only through maxing its beauty stat? Feebas all around feels more Legendary than every other pokemon due to how hard it is to get. At least with the Regis you could have accidentally had what you needed.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
How was anyone ever supposed to naturally find that without help? And then making it evolve only through maxing its beauty stat? Feebas all around feels more Legendary than every other pokemon due to how hard it is to get. At least with the Regis you could have accidentally had what you needed.

This is such BS. I can kinda agree on the first part (even though I've just seen somebody randomly catch on in Emerald during a Nuzlocke of all things), but you can't get the Regi's unless you knew how to read braille.

Who the hell had a Wailord and Relicanth in their team in the correct positions on accident when they found that seafloor cavern?!?

The basement pond is maybe 45 minutes to scour. It literally takes less time then to find and catch a Chansey in Gen1 and is less of a hassle then stuff like daily rotating area specific Great Marsh crap.

Last edited: