• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My guess is you press a button (maybe Y like the Y-Comm) to open it.
I’m thinking it will be incorporated as apps on a Rotom Phone as that was what Pokétch basically was. A smartwatch with apps.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Maybe it could be upgraded to a Rotom Watch and it could have Pokedex and Poketch functionality?
That is what I’m thinking. Maybe not being powered by a Rotom but definitely a smartwatch that links to the Rotom Phone and the apps are the same as the original except the Kecleon and Snorlax apps are available from the start.

Bill the Typhlosion

Oh thats a nice touch.. this bracelet is pretty too

The round things look like they could be pearls as well, which is fitting. Although maybe they're meant to just be beads. I don't know how likely it is that someone as young as Dawn would be wearing expensive jewellery.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The round things look like they could be pearls as well, which is fitting. Although maybe they're meant to just be beads. I don't know how likely it is that someone as young as Dawn would be wearing expensive jewellery.
I came to be in peace with these remaster versions... as long as they dont ruin the original games by cutting stuff :/

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Could be fake pearls she’s wearing. They have plastic beads that look exactly like pearls.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Dawn's new bracelet is the same as the one she wears in the anime. I wouldn't have spotted this detail either, but someone I was watching on YouTube pointed it out.
To be fair, I forgot what Dawn's bracelet looked like in the anime and would've though it was always like that in the games, but a YT video pointed out otherwise.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm probably damaged, but I can't stop reading bdsm instead of bdsp. So I had a very disturbing mental image when I read bdsp hype train. (And yes, 50 shades of grey was a thing, but yeah, better ignored).

Looking at my planned team, I think I'd still be okay with the DP-dex. I'd just miss out on using Togekiss. And you'd basically have Sinnoh games where you'd have no Sinnoh Fairy-types. I know there's Clefable and Azumarill, but I'd rather have an actual Gen4 Fairy in my roster.
Don't worry, people had the same reaction to "Pokémon S&M."

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Ignoring the fact that (I believe, I don't actually watch the anime) she's had a fairly successful contest career and either has or could probably easily get sponsors/merchandising deals/etc. and the possibility of her getting them as a gift (I have no idea how she got them in the anime as, again, I don't watch it), I don't think pearls are all that insanely valuable in the Pokemon universe, given that a normal-sized pearl sells for less than, say, a Max Potion.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ignoring the fact that (I believe, I don't actually watch the anime) she's had a fairly successful contest career and either has or could probably easily get sponsors/merchandising deals/etc. and the possibility of her getting them as a gift (I have no idea how she got them in the anime as, again, I don't watch it), I don't think pearls are all that insanely valuable in the Pokemon universe, given that a normal-sized pearl sells for less than, say, a Max Potion.
Don’t forget that, if she’s the player character, her mom actually did have a successful contest career, so it’s most likely that her mom got it from a merchandising deal years ago & gave it to her daughter as a gift :p

Also, apparently someone did a reimagined version of the BDSP trailer with SWSH graphics. I’m still generally looking forward to the games but I still really wish they ended up looking like this, & I get the feeling this is the type of remake everyone wanted. I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about this trailer in comparison to what we’re actually getting

Last edited:

KahunaLagoonaEX

Also, apparently someone did a reimagined version of the BDSP trailer with SWSH graphics. I’m still generally looking forward to the games but I still really wish they ended up looking like this, & I get the feeling this is the type of remake everyone wanted. I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about this trailer in comparison to what we’re actually getting

Looks better than Sword and Shield if I'm going to be honest, it also looks definitely well beyond GameFreak's capabilities - Yeah, fan of the series but I'm one of THOSE.

Honestly, I'm more or less surprised we got announcements of remakes this early - broke the typical trend of GameFreak announcing remakes and such in like, late May. Typically the start of the year is usually their go to for announcing new generations, so I guess the constant clamor for Sinnoh Remakes was a bit too much and that was what caused this decision - reminds me a bit of the backlash from USUM and how a week later TPC basically had to announce that they were making Switch games.

As for the games themselves - honestly I don't get the hate for the art style, it's fairly obvious they likely couldn't get a big Sword and Shield style game for BDSP and with the remakes being handled by a different team while it's assumed that GameFreak themselves are 100 behind Legends (I highly doubt that, I'm sure a large chunk are aiming to work on Gen 9, with Legends also being outsourced or at least partially) I don't blame them for going this route for these remakes.

I mean, comparisons to Link's Awakening be made, I personally like Link's Awakening because it's cohesive - everything matches the style and it has this distinct plastic toy look to it. This looks like it's attempting the style but the sudden SWITCH to what looks more like Let's Go's style for battles and such is a bit jarring.

Maybe if it was in Let's Go's style but without the mechanics from Let's Go, maybe it might be more well received, but if I had to guess making the games look like either Sword and Shield or even Let's Go would've been rather long to develop for.

Overall, I'm going to take a hard pass unless they announce something that I would like from it.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
So, I think the remakes (and Legends Arceus) should expand on the religious elements only hinted at in the original games. I think religion can be done tastefully in Pokemon.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I mean, comparisons to Link's Awakening be made, I personally like Link's Awakening because it's cohesive - everything matches the style and it has this distinct plastic toy look to it. This looks like it's attempting the style but the sudden SWITCH to what looks more like Let's Go's style for battles and such is a bit jarring.
I'm pretty surprised I'm not seeing more comparisons to Bravely Default II, which had just come out for the Switch last week and keeps the exact same look as Bravely Default, with the big-headed characters but normal-proportioned 2-D art, just with a higher polygon count. It essentially looks like a DS or 3DS game scaled up to HDand with better models and textures.

Bravely Default II has its complaints, but they are mostly in regards to the story, not the art style (and to a lesser extent the voice acting for the minor characters). People seem to be liking how it looks but not the hackneyed nature of its story.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
As for the games themselves - honestly I don't get the hate for the art style, it's fairly obvious they likely couldn't get a big Sword and Shield style game for BDSP and with the remakes being handled by a different team while it's assumed that GameFreak themselves are 100 behind Legends (I highly doubt that, I'm sure a large chunk are aiming to work on Gen 9, with Legends also being outsourced or at least partially) I don't blame them for going this route for these remakes.
I feel most of the complaints come from two factors:
  • People don’t like the change of art style since they’re so used to how remakes have been handled in the past. The past three remakes were all reimagined using the engine of that current generation, essentially bringing the regions people loved as kids to life and revamping them to the current generation, so now Sinnoh won’t get the same treatment
  • Fear that these games will have no new content & be exactly like the originals due to them hammering in the “faithful remake” aspect, since a lot of people are asking “Why buy these games for $60 when I can play Platinum or a rom hack for a better experience?”

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Don’t forget that, if she’s the player character, her mom actually did have a successful contest career, so it’s most likely that her mom got it from a merchandising deal years ago & gave it to her daughter as a gift :p

It seems to be this one has used the character models from Pokémon Masters. The fact Lucas is nowhere to be seen pratically confirms it (Lucas has yet to show up there)