• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

SoHowAreYou

It's amazing how much people are using the words faithful remakes to convince themselves that the games will not include new pokemon or other features. They're called faithful remakes because the marketers thought that would sell better. I normally wouldn't mind but it's making it hard to find out if there was new information released, or if people are endlessly speculating themselves into thinking the games will suck.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I interpreted the phrase “faithful remakes” as being faithful to following the main plot of DPPt with some changes and new additions without going off track and as a way to describe the art style. I think that the chibi art style is a nice touch to have 3D graphics that look like the originals while still being different and the camera angle is something not too many games ave done with Link Between Worlds really being the only fully 3D game to be seen from over the top with a wide area in the frame.

BCVM22

Leaping to conclusions (often negative conclusions) about any new game during pre-release, especially on the basis of some tiny element of the marketing like "faithful remake", is a feature and not a bug. It's an instinct for some people at this point in the cycle. Some don't even know why they're doing it, they just feel compelled to, like migrating birds.

I normally wouldn't mind but it's making it hard to find out if there was new information released, or if people are endlessly speculating themselves into thinking the games will suck.

Great rule of thumb is that if there's any uncertainty as to whether it's the former or the latter, assume it's the latter. You'll seldom be wrong.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
If any of you are taking "faithful remakes" quite literally, then I have no idea what to tell you. Don't think I can even post it.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It was only FRLG that stops you having new Pokémon until post game. HGSS and ORAS let’s you trade in the Pokémon straight away and play with them, done it many times in those games.
However with this being a faithful remake and outsourced to ILCA I don’t see any gen 5 Pokémon onwards being in the game at all, even after completing it. Think it’ll be like Let’s Go games. Which is a personal shame as that’s my favourite thing about the remakes is using the newer Pokémon in an older gen.
You brought a good point.

I guess I'll wait until the eventual datamine confirm it before purchasing it.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's amazing how much people are using the words faithful remakes to convince themselves that the games will not include new pokemon or other features. They're called faithful remakes because the marketers thought that would sell better. I normally wouldn't mind but it's making it hard to find out if there was new information released, or if people are endlessly speculating themselves into thinking the games will suck.
Let's be honest, it's not just that. It's also them not even showing the slightest hint to anything new, even right down to the graphics. When HGSS were announced they showed stuff like walking with your Pokémon and the pokewalker, when ORAS were announced they showed off Primals and I think even mega Latios and Latias and soaring on them. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl on the other hand showed nothing new at all. I'm not saying they should show all the new stuff, but at least a tiny taste of it would be nice just to show there's at least something more there than "DP but slightly cheaper with Home connectivity". It's not exactly the best first impression you can make, and makes me wonder why they even bothered announcing it already this early instead of just waiting till September or so

Last edited:

Orphalesion

I might be a bit cynical here, but yeah I agree that "Faithful Remakes" here is just a code for "we outsourced this to another company and made them create the same game with new graphics that look like a Wii U game"
We'll be lucky if the Pokedex is the one from Platinum rather than D/P I expect nothing new. I suspect everything new went into Legends of Arceus instead.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I might be a bit cynical here, but yeah I agree that "Faithful Remakes" here is just a code for "we outsourced this to another company and made them create the same game with new graphics that look like a Wii U game"
We'll be lucky if the Pokedex is the one from Platinum rather than D/P I expect nothing new. I suspect everything new went into Legends of Arceus instead.
I FULLY agree.
Of course I wouldnt want this to be the case, but unfortunately I agree that this what will probably happen.
You r a person of culture.

For all the people that will ambush me - I HOPE u are right and I am wrong. I hope these "remakes" will have more to them. We will see, but I wont hold my breath, nor my hope for it :)

SoHowAreYou

Let's be honest, it's not just that. It's also them not even showing the slightest hint to anything new, even right down to the graphics. When HGSS were announced they showed stuff like walking with your Pokémon and the pokewalker, when ORAS were announced they showed off Primals and I think even mega Latios and Latias and soaring on them. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl on the other hand showed nothing new at all. I'm not saying they should show all the new stuff, but at least a tiny taste of it would be nice just to show there's at least something more there than "DP but slightly cheaper with Home connectivity". It's not exactly the best first impression you can make, and makes me wonder why they even bothered announcing it already this early instead of just waiting till September or so

That's fair and I do wish they would have showed more stuff off, but I suspect they made an earlier than normal announcement because of the whole 25th anniversary announcement. I think that there will be some stuff we have not seen yet, but I think this trailer was driven by the conflicting desire to have something to say on Pokemon day, and the need to hold stuff close to the chest to build up hype closer to the release date.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
SM was announced Feb 2016. But the first major news dropped on May. Then every month until November.

USUM was revealed on June 2017. But the next major info drop happened on August. Then continuously until November.

LGPE was announced May 2018. And we had new info about it every month until it's launch on November.

SWSH was announced Feb 2019, but the first huge batch of info for the game actually came in a Pokemon Direct on June. There was info in May, but it was primarily Pokemon HOME's announcement and its connectivity to SWSH.

Going by the news cycle, if BDSP will have a November launch date, then new info will probably drop not until May.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
SM was announced Feb 2016. But the first major news dropped on May. Then every month until November.

USUM was revealed on June 2017. But the next major info drop happened on August. Then continuously until November.

LGPE was announced May 2018. And we had new info about it every month until it's launch on November.

SWSH was announced Feb 2019, but the first huge batch of info for the game actually came in a Pokemon Direct on June. There was info in May, but it was primarily Pokemon HOME's announcement and its connectivity to SWSH.

Going by the news cycle, if BDSP will have a November launch date, then new info will probably drop not until May.
If people want spoilers they should play DP :p

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

The only difference between BDSP & the past announcements is that they also revealed Legends at the same time, so we don't know how that will shake things up

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The only difference between BDSP & the past announcements is that they also revealed Legends at the same time, so we don't know how that will shake things up
That probably affects LA's announcements more than BDSP. BDSP doesn't have a lot of news to cover being a remake, so LA wouldn't interfere with it much. I predict that during E3, both games will get trailers with new news and LA (and maybe BDSP, but I'm not as sure BDSP needs one) will get a Treehouse segment. Then after that, BDSP will get most of the coverage leading up to its release with maybe a few tidbits for LA. Then after BDSP releases, LA coverage will ramp up until its release.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
We know that they want to keep the models very close to the sprite work, so they are faithful in that sense.

I'd imagine that the story telling will be the same and won't deviate like ORAS.

Otherwise, I believe they said that they would keep modern day fixes (such as the Fairy type). I'm thinking the initial set of Pokemon will probably be closer to Platinum's (though this is speculation), and who knows what the final set of Pokemon would be like.

It kind of reminds me how relatively faithful Let's Go were to the first gen. Sure, there were major catching differences that separated the games, but the set up of the games were very similar, with some modern day fixes (such as the Fairy type).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
We know that they want to keep the models very close to the sprite work, so they are faithful in that sense.

I'd imagine that the story telling will be the same and won't deviate like ORAS.

Otherwise, I believe they said that they would keep modern day fixes (such as the Fairy type). I'm thinking the initial set of Pokemon will probably be closer to Platinum's (though this is speculation), and who knows what the final set of Pokemon would be like.

It kind of reminds me how relatively faithful Let's Go were to the first gen. Sure, there were major catching differences that separated the games, but the set up of the games were very similar, with some modern day fixes (such as the Fairy type).
At this point, I'm hoping the BDSP will either be like Let's Go or HGSS in terms of being faithful while sprinkled with enough differences that it doesn't feel like the exact same game

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
For all the people that will ambush me - I HOPE u are right and I am wrong. I hope these "remakes" will have more to them. We will see, but I wont hold my breath, nor my hope for it :)
Nobody's ambushing you. Disagreeing with you and ambushing you are very much not the same thing.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Let's stop this bickering before it goes any further. Thanks.

Back to discussion of the new games.