• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Autobot N

Do you guys think it will have a national Dex or just be the Sinnoh dex only like in Let's Go? I'm also wondering if I'll be able to transfer my favorite pokemon with pokebank.
I'm assuming the most we'll get is the Gen 4 National Dex plus Sylveon and maybe any pre-Gen 5 Galar evolutions

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
If they dont include post gen 4 pokemon it will be really underwhelming for me. It will feel like a seperated game from the franchie like lets go eevee and pikachu

Bill the Typhlosion

Do you guys think it will have a national Dex or just be the Sinnoh dex only like in Let's Go? I'm also wondering if I'll be able to transfer my favorite pokemon with pokebank.

The narrator in the Pokemon Presents made a point of saying that all the Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl will be available. I think this probably means all 493 of them, not just the ones that were in the Sinnoh Dex.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
We don't know yet. But assuming that all remaining Pokemon have been modeled, then they can implement the National Dex in this game (and update SWSH with that as well). Or...

We'll get something like in SM/USUM where we don't have a National "Dex", but can still transfer National Dex Pokemon (in this case Gen 5-8).
I don't expect that, and I believe that only Gens 1-4 Pokemon will appear in this game at all.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Oh wait, hold on I just remembered something decently crucial for a certain thing in the originals and Pt: I’m gonna be hella pissed if they don’t have the original Regi Trio available as catchable Legendaries in BDSP cause them not being available regularly in DP and requiring transfer along with needing a GBA and the original Hoenn games and them needing a event mon in Platinum was an ass move.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Oh wait, hold on I just remembered something decently crucial for a certain thing in the originals and Pt: I’m gonna be hella pissed if they don’t have the original Regi Trio available as catchable Legendaries in BDSP cause them not being available regularly in DP and requiring transfer along with needing a GBA and the original Hoenn games and them needing a event mon in Platinum was an ass move.
Sadly, I can see them doing this considering the fact that the Regi trio are accessible now in the SWSH DLC.

But one could argue that Gen 4 legendaries from DDPt are also already obtainable in Dynamax Adventures (and again most likely in Legends). You can also get two of each Legendary Bird in SWSH (Kantonian and Galarian). So the possibility of having the Regis in BDSP exists.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
A thing I'm curious about: Will we get to see Regieleki and Regidrago involved here? Since those were added later on and the Regis had what I remember being very different lore in SwSh compared to DP. I'd be interested in an angle where it's the original story at first, and then those two crop up in some way and everyone's like "...huh. Didn't see anything about these before..."
I already found something to complain about if the National Dex returns...

"I WANT THE REGIONAL DEX BACK!!!"
dispose of any monkey's paws in your house immediately

Bill the Typhlosion

I think it's possible that Regirock, Regice and Registeel will be made available in BDSP. Since Sun and Moon, each pair of games has included all the Pokemon needed to complete the Pokedex, without having to transfer any from other games.

A thing I'm curious about: Will we get to see Regieleki and Regidrago involved here? Since those were added later on and the Regis had what I remember being very different lore in SwSh compared to DP. I'd be interested in an angle where it's the original story at first, and then those two crop up in some way and everyone's like "...huh. Didn't see anything about these before..."

dispose of any monkey's paws in your house immediately

It would be really cool if Regieleki and Regidrago were involved. I think what's probably more likely, though, is that the two Pokemon will be available to transfer into the game, but won't have Pokedex entries or be required to awaken Regigigas. Maybe they'll be mentioned by an NPC or in the one of the Canalave Library books. I would love to be proven wrong and for them to play a bigger role!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
There’s also Abomasnow, and Glaceon. Plus another option to deal with Garchomp is to use a Fairy type like Gardevoir, Mr.Mime, or Clefable, now obviously fairy type only applies to Brilliant Diamond and Shinning Pearl and not the original Diamond and Pearl games.

If you're talking about Fairy-types.. Well.. Togekiss is kinda immune to both Dragon Rush and Earthquake.. It doubly resists Brick Break and the only other move Garchomp ran in the original games was Giga Impact, which Togekiss is bulky enough to handle. Platinum Garchomp had Flamethrower over Brick Break, but that shouldn't be a problem either as Togekiss is bulkier on the special side.

But odds are high that the developers are aware of Garchomp's main nemesis and will give it Iron Head or Poison Jab (or just give it Stone Edge, but that wouldn't remedy the problem it has with other Fairy-types).

That's true, though both are quite slow and won't have as strong an Ice Shard as Mamoswine (or Weavile I guess)
The thing that worries me about the fairies is that while they have effective damage on Garchomp, those ones in particular are not known for taking a hit very well (Clefable at least might survive an Earthquake with low HP), and I worry that they wouldn't be able to reliably KO Garchomp without help from an item. With Ice though, that's a sizable chunk of its HP gone even from just Ice Shard, and if it's a pokemon like Weavile then chomp should be good as gone with just one Ice Punch/Icicle Crash if egg moves are available in the wild.
...course I wouldn't put it past them to throw a curveball like Yache berry just to screw with the people who think they're prepared.

Ice Shard from Mamoswine isn't enough to 1HKO Garchomp. Garchomp has Brick Break or Flamethrower depending on DP or Platinum. And it gets a solid 2hko on Mamoswine. Also, with Sitrus Berry, Ice Shard could end up being a 3hko move.

Why wouldn't Fairies be allowed to run an item? Also, like I mentioned above: Togekiss. Bulky and strong and the DPt movesets Garchomp ran have nothing on it.

Weavile is nice, but gets 1hko'd by pretty much every move Garchomp has if it misses the kill.

What's a solid strategy is simply burning Garchomp with a Gengar. In the DP-era, it was immune to Earthquake, Giga Impact ánd Brick Break. It's faster then Garchomp and getting that burn (at 75% accuracy) meant whatever else you had could come in on Garchomp a lot easier. Of course, it doesn't have Levitate anymore.. so there's that.

While having sparse news close to the actual release happened with USUM, those games only added a few features to SM and no major graphical/gameplay improvements, which was as expected for third games.
People want to know whether the diamond and pearl remakes are worth the buy since the old games function just fine. Many people expect something on top, like mega evolutions, that justify getting these games. For me the dex is a deal breaker, as it was for Sw/Sh (I skipped these games).
That being said, part of me thinks they want to bring all pokemon updates in one big batch. The pokemon Legends games looked very bare when announced and I would not be surprised that these games are holding back such a batch announcement. But that is just me speculating, though that is all we can at this point.

Such a silly reason at this point.. The game originally had 400 pokémon to catch and with DLC 800 or so? I don't even have 400 caught at this point.. I just didn't see 'dexit' as a problem at all. I'm not big on migrating pokémon either. I only tend to play with current gen pokémon unless I do challenge runs - and those don't include migrating from older games either..

Well, Pokemon Unite is getting its own presentation later (and watch it burn again with massive dislikes on YouTube and tweets from very entitled fans on Twitter to show GF and TPCi how angry they are). I am seriously hoping that BDSP and Legends will follow suit.

You want these two releases to burn as well?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
You want these two releases to burn as well?
I am referring to news about BDSP and Legends to come after Unite's presentation.

It's been a while now and we still haven't heard anything about these games. Looks like Pokemon's priority right now is celebrating July 1st as Bidoof Day.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I am referring to news about BDSP and Legends to come after Unite's presentation.

It's been a while now and we still haven't heard anything about these games. Looks like Pokemon's priority right now is celebrating July 1st as Bidoof Day.
It is a good priority though.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I’m wondering how Cynthia’s Spiritomb can still be really strong and deserving to be on her team now that it has a weakness to Fairy Pokémon?
It's still good if newcomers aren't aware of it and get by surprise.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
When are we getting more details. Been a while since it was first shown.
Well, I expect us to get more news in August or September because right now Pokemon Unite is their primary focus.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Well, I expect us to get more news in August or September because right now Pokemon Unite is their primary focus.
Unfortunately.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Hopefully this month because they're celebrating Sinnoh as part of the 25th anniversary. Personally, I think last month at E3 would've been a perfect time to reveal more info.
That's only in the West. Japan isn't doing the region countdown, plus this month is Unite's launch so I expect the marketing this month to be centered around Unite.