• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I am referring to news about BDSP and Legends to come after Unite's presentation.

It's been a while now and we still haven't heard anything about these games. Looks like Pokemon's priority right now is celebrating July 1st as Bidoof Day.

Rightly so. I caught myself two shiny Superpower'd Bidoof today. Gets me hyped for BDSP.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Is it safe to assume the fairy-type will be adapted?

I know a lot of other remakes after Pokemon X and Y have done so but it's always better to ask.

Nyter

Island Challenger
If they kept Fairy, Dark, and Steel in Let's Go, they're almost certainly keeping Fairy here
If so this changes a lot in the aspect of the battle with Cynthia... Her Garchomp will not be as difficult to take down as the likes of Clefable will be able to easily take it down.

But, and if she maintains her Platinum team thus Togekiss instead of her Diamond/Pearl team thus Gastrodon, would make for a more formidable foe with a Fairy type of her own in the mix.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If so this changes a lot in the aspect of the battle with Cynthia... Her Garchomp will not be as difficult to take down as the likes of Clefable will be able to easily take it down.

But, and of she maintains her Platinum team thus Togekiss instead of her Diamond/Pearl team thus Gastrodon, would make for a more formidable foe with a Fairy type of her own in the mix.

They tend to design the Elite 4 battles so that the Pokemon have movesets that compensate for their weaknesses to make them more difficult. So the likes of Garchomp and Spiritomb will almost certainly have Poison and Steel type moves to keep Fairies from destroying them too easily (Spiritomb does not currently learn any Poison or Steel type moves yet, but they could always add some to its moveset, and for Garchomp they can just give it Iron Head or Poison Jab).

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I’m just gonna assume they’ll dump Iron Head onto her Garchomp in the remakes in order to deal with not only Fairies but Ice types as well.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I’m just gonna assume they’ll dump Iron Head onto her Garchomp in the remakes in order to deal with not only Fairies but Ice types as well.

Iron Head makes more sense for Garchomp, yeah. I think they might give Spiritomb a Poison type move of some kind as well to counter Azumarill and any other Fairies they might include in the post game that aren't weak to Steel.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Iron Head makes more sense for Garchomp, yeah. I think they might give Spiritomb a Poison type move of some kind as well to counter Azumarill and any other Fairies they might include in the post game that aren't weak to Steel.
You know the ironic thing about the last part of your comment? Spiritomb has no access to attacking poison moves lmao.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Yes I know. They can always change its moveset to give it one though, and I could see them doing that in this case.
Has something like this happened in the past..? I have never seen a remake introduce a new move into the fold unless it is a signature move and usually it is for a Legendary Pokemon.

I don't see them doing this for Spiritomb. It is too drastic of change to just all of a sudden add a move to the moveset when they did not before.

I could be wrong but I do not see it happening ff it never has.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Has something like this happened in the past..? I have never seen a remake introduce a new move into the fold unless it is a signature move and usually it is for a Legendary Pokemon.

I don't see them doing this for Spiritomb. It is too drastic of change to just all of a sudden add a move to the moveset when they did not before.

I could be wrong but I do not see it happening ff it never has.
I wasn't thinking of a new move, I was thinking that it would now learn an old move that it couldn't in past games. Maybe something like Sludge Bomb?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
That's only in the West. Japan isn't doing the region countdown, plus this month is Unite's launch so I expect the marketing this month to be centered around Unite.
True, but they're hyping up Dawn's return for a Crescelia/Darkrai two parter in the anime, so that could mean they'll start releasing trailers this month.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
True, but they're hyping up Dawn's return for a Crescelia/Darkrai two parter in the anime, so that could mean they'll start releasing trailers this month.
I don't think that they would want to overshadow Unite (this is the month of its launch) so I think that they will wait until after Unite launches to start releasing trailers again.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I wasn't thinking of a new move, I was thinking that it would now learn an old move that it couldn't in past games. Maybe something like Sludge Bomb?

Was thinking of Sludge Bomb too. I think it would be a fitting move for it.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I don't think that they would want to overshadow Unite (this is the month of its launch) so I think that they will wait until after Unite launches to start releasing trailers again.
Does anyone even care about Unite? From what I've seen online, it would make more sense to promote the games that people are actually excited about. Plus, most people on Twitter and YouTube aren't wrong when they say that this drought of info will more than likely kill the games' hype and sales because there are so many people on the fence due to knowing practically nothing about them.

Even I'm starting to get anxious for new info, & I've been trying to stay positive throughout this hype cycle. I was fine with the lack of trailers we got for SWSH or the DLC, but it's really starting to feel like the remakes won't have any new content and that they'll just be 1-1 copies of the originals since we haven't gotten anything since February.

Last edited:

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Does anyone even care about Unite? From what I've seen online, it would make more sense to promote the games that people are actually excited about. Plus, most people on Twitter and YouTube aren't wrong when they say that this drought of info will more than likely the games' hype and sales because there are so many people on the fence due to knowing practically nothing about them.

Even I'm starting to get anxious for new info, & I've been trying to stay positive throughout this hype cycle. I was fine with the lack of trailers we got for SWSH or the DLC, but it's really starting to feel like the remakes won't have any new content and that they'll just be 1-1 copies of the originals since we haven't gotten anything since February.
I think everyone is feeling the same at this point. I've made my peace with whatever this game ends up being (whether 1:1 or a bit more) due to Legends Arceus coming shortly after, but either way I'm desperate to know more about BDSP!!

BCVM22

Plus, most people on Twitter and YouTube aren't wrong when they say that this drought of info will more than likely the games' hype and sales because there are so many people on the fence due to knowing practically nothing about them.

They are absolutely wrong, and not just for being people on Twitter and YouTube, where the worst fans go to voice their "complaints" and in fact everyone is wrong about everything, every time. This is another assertion that gets tossed around every (every? every) pre-release cycle, and like most of the others, it's never been true. Ever. If one were to go back and sift through the threads like this one for every (every? every) recent release, you'd find the exact same comment and on zero of those occasions has it ever born out that way.

The funniest thing is the thought process that leads people to this conclusion. There's a roughly nine month period between the reveal and the release. The reveal itself dominates the early part of that period (already done) and the release dates/box art are a nice pin closer to the middle (also already done). Further, there's going to be a limited pool of information - footage and details - they'll actually share with us. They can't show us everything, at some point they're going to actually give us the game to play. Consider further that unlike a completely new core title, being a remake limits that pool of information even more, because we've known the Sinnoh region and its trappings for a decade and a half. And so considering all that, what would their impetus be for front-loading that nine month span with in-depth looks at the game? Wouldn't doing that actually "hurt the hype and sales" more so than what they actually do? Wouldn't it be more harmful, to the extent anything could really harm the release of one of these games, to give up the bag in April or May or June and hope people keep it at the forefront of their minds for another 5-7 months after that? Why wouldn't they backload that stretch and start releasing more details much closer to the time of release, as hype for the game actually starts to build? But no, the people on Twitter and YouTube are right, they should exhaust that limited pool of information early on and coast from there. We should listen to them.

Truly, we are as migrating animals. We feel compelled to repeat certain things with every new game, having no idea why other than instinct. Bookmark this post and come back to it in September when someone is similarly screeching "I don't like what they've shown us, this game is going to be a bust!" Come back to it again in 2022 or 2023 when we do all of this all over again with whatever the next core title release is.

"They haven't shown us much, so there's nothing to show! This game is going to be a bust!"
"The silence is going to lessen the hype and hurt their sales! This game is going to be a bust!"
"It's a month until the game releases and they haven't shown us anything since a month ago! This game is going to be a bust!"
*The game releases, is not a bust.*
"Well, nevertheless. But watch out NEXT TIME..."

We never learn. Ever.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

The games will be fine, Nintendo does this all the time. They hand out little bits of information on their games after periods of dry spells, it's a cycle that keeps people talking about the games. They certainly could update us with information on characters, mechanics, and the like on a monthly/weekly basis but Nintendo prefers this approach.

Autobot N

They are absolutely wrong, and not just for being people on Twitter and YouTube, where the worst fans go to voice their "complaints" and in fact everyone is wrong about everything, every time. This is another assertion that gets tossed around every (every? every) pre-release cycle, and like most of the others, it's never been true. Ever. If one were to go back and sift through the threads like this one for every (every? every) recent release, you'd find the exact same comment and on zero of those occasions has it ever born out that way.

The funniest thing is the thought process that leads people to this conclusion. There's a roughly nine month period between the reveal and the release. The reveal itself dominates the early part of that period (already done) and the release dates/box art are a nice pin closer to the middle (also already done). Further, there's going to be a limited pool of information - footage and details - they'll actually share with us. They can't show us everything, at some point they're going to actually give us the game to play. Consider further that unlike a completely new core title, being a remake limits that pool of information even more, because we've known the Sinnoh region and its trappings for a decade and a half. And so considering all that, what would their impetus be for front-loading that nine month span with in-depth looks at the game? Wouldn't doing that actually "hurt the hype and sales" more so than what they actually do? Wouldn't it be more harmful, to the extent anything could really harm the release of one of these games, to give up the bag in April or May or June and hope people keep it at the forefront of their minds for another 5-7 months after that? Why wouldn't they backload that stretch and start releasing more details much closer to the time of release, as hype for the game actually starts to build? But no, the people on Twitter and YouTube are right, they should exhaust that limited pool of information early on and coast from there. We should listen to them.

Truly, we are as migrating animals. We feel compelled to repeat certain things with every new game, having no idea why other than instinct. Bookmark this post and come back to it in September when someone is similarly screeching "I don't like what they've shown us, this game is going to be a bust!" Come back to it again in 2022 or 2023 when we do all of this all over again with whatever the next core title release is.

"They haven't shown us much, so there's nothing to show! This game is going to be a bust!"
"The silence is going to lessen the hype and hurt their sales! This game is going to be a bust!"
"It's a month until the game releases and they haven't shown us anything since a month ago! This game is going to be a bust!"
*The game releases, is not a bust.*
"Well, nevertheless. But watch out NEXT TIME..."

We never learn. Ever.
The cycle repeats

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Does anyone even care about Unite? From what I've seen online, it would make more sense to promote the games that people are actually excited about. Plus, most people on Twitter and YouTube aren't wrong when they say that this drought of info will more than likely kill the games' hype and sales because there are so many people on the fence due to knowing practically nothing about them.

Unite is a bigger deal, due to it being Pokemon's first real attempt to tap into the massive Chinese gaming market.