• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Improvements.

Before.

Pokemon_Brilliant_Diamond_Shining_Pearl_06.0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

After

2021-07-06-2-png.29138038

2021-07-06-3-png.29138039
It's amusing to me because I never had a problem with the battle graphics: the overworld graphics were my biggest issue when we got the first trailer. So seeing the company make minor improvements to the battle graphics feels like a case of fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
It's amusing to me because I never had a problem with the battle graphics: the overworld graphics were my biggest issue when we got the first trailer. So seeing the company make minor improvements to the battle graphics feels like a case of fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with.
Well seeing this also shows that the overworld will look just as nice.

EwokNinja94

Don't see how it's a case of fixing something that isn't broken. Would you seriously want the game to look how it did in the reveal trailer compared to now? The base game is already there aside from any potential story/pokedex updates so all there time is going to be focused on graphical improvements. I feel like you're worried about the overworld having no improvements, but if this is anything to go by, I can almost say with certainty that there will be some improvements to the overworld even if relatively minor.

To me it looks like we are in safe hands with ILCA so far and there is plenty of time for new things to be revealed, this is the most improvement graphically we have ever seen from a reveal trailer to launch for a pokemon game so its Good to stay optimistic :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Would you seriously want the game to look how it did in the reveal trailer compared to now?
Well as I said before, I didn't have a problem with the battle scenery shown in the first trailer. The colors being slightly less saturated in the new trailer doesn't exactly enthrall me, because it's such a minor aesthetic change that I probably wouldn't have even noticed if other people hadn't pointed it out.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Improvements.

Before.

Pokemon_Brilliant_Diamond_Shining_Pearl_06.0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

After

2021-07-06-2-png.29138038

2021-07-06-3-png.29138039
So much better than the reveal trailer. Colour saturation down was a must for me. Now it actually looks better than LGPE. And the games actually have a decent shading now and the character models also look much cleaner. The last thing I would improve is the global illumination.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Holding out hope that the reason it’s taking so long to show us anything new is because it was all a publicity stunt and it turns out the graphics for the overworld are vastly different and these improvements are a hint towards it…….a guy can hope right

MidnightHo-Oh

I'm sorry, but what is still so wrong about the overworld? I understand the initial knee-jerk reaction to the reveal of the game and its chibi style overworld, but can't we all just move on by now and accept it for what it is and find positives rather than dwelling on the negatives? All of the handheld games prior to XY were technically in the chibi style and we had no problem with that, so why now??? It is just beyond frustrating to see people still wishing for Legends Arceus or Sword/Shield style graphics in BD/SP, when in my opinion I find it awesome that these two will be standing out with a different and no less enjoyable art style that really shouldn't be a major factor on whether or not you enjoy the game. Just... why!?!?!?!?!?

And yes, I am fully aware of how this fandom works and how people can hold grudges against Pokémon forever over very minor things, and I'm equally aware the above rant will probably go nowhere, but I can personally only take so much.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
It’s not the direction I wanted to see the remakes go in. DP are my favourite games, if I wanted these remakes to evolve them. Not just give them a new bit of paint. I was hoping to bring newer Pokémon into the world of Sinnoh and from what it seems so far that is not possible as it looks like it’ll only be generations 1-4. I played LGPE but the part I hated the most about it was that it was just the original Pokemon.
If I want to play DP games then I’ll go play then, like I do when I get the urge to play them. But I wanted to see evolution and expansion. Hopefully it will be announced that you can transfer new Pokémon in like you have been able to in older remakes.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The art direction for BDSP is an unexpected one to be sure. But then, they gave us Legends.

I am okay with two different art styles for two games set in the same region. It would get kinda redundant (well, it technically already is) and it would feel like one game is just a DLC of the other.

It’s not the direction I wanted to see the remakes go in. DP are my favourite games, if I wanted these remakes to evolve them. Not just give them a new bit of paint. I was hoping to bring newer Pokémon into the world of Sinnoh and from what it seems so far that is not possible as it looks like it’ll only be generations 1-4. I played LGPE but the part I hated the most about it was that it was just the original Pokemon.
If I want to play DP games then I’ll go play then, like I do when I get the urge to play them. But I wanted to see evolution and expansion. Hopefully it will be announced that you can transfer new Pokémon in like you have been able to in older remakes.
We really haven't seen much else aside from the trailer, release date, and boxart, so we really can't jump into conclusions here.

Last edited:

MidnightHo-Oh

I am okay with two different art styles for two games set in the same region. It would get kinda redundant (well, it technically already is) and it would feel like one game is just a DLC of the other.
Could not have said it better myself, and fully agree that we need to wait before jumping to conclusions on how this game will be.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Eh, I didn't really mind the saturation, I don't even care much about the chibi style. I think the reason people care so much about it is because the full scale 3D models have become so common in other games, chibi and sprite is often associated with old games. Also, people just really want to see the characters with full 3D models. They want to see Barry run into the player, the scene where Dialga/Palkia are used to create a new world, and more in full 3D.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
If they keep going with adding better outlines then it might be a good game to buy. I don't might chibi style but graphics that don't look like they're finished or not...thats not so cool.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Oh ye, I guess that reminds me: Would ILCA be willing to make every trade evo mon available as wild mons like SwSh did? This just popped up in my head and they seemingly have been phasing out trade evos for a long while now, wonder if it’ll continue to be the case for BDSP as well.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
When will some more news coming up?
We honestly don't know. It may drop today, it may drop tomorrow, it may drop next week, or next month.

But considering that there's only 4 months left until release, we barely know how different this remake is compared to the original aside from graphics. One can argue that it's a "faithful" remake, but how faithful is it really?

Will it contain content from Platinum? How are contest accessories handled in 3D? Did they change the Underground mechanics? Did some of the Gym Leaders get redesigned? What about HMs? Did they keep ball seals? Did they upgrade the Poketch into a modern smart watch? Is the Amity Square still exclusive to select Pokemon? Is the VS Seeker in? etc...