• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Howcan u be sure its not the same game?

The official site already states the game will contain the "player-friendly conveniences" found in current titles. The two player-friendly conveniences I can think of are automatic EXP and the removal of HMs. This alone will require the game's region and gameplay to be designed differently. And if these aren't what they're referring to, it would be nice to know would be nice to know what those conveniences are.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The official site already states the game will contain the "player-friendly conveniences" found in current titles. The two player-friendly conveniences I can think of are automatic EXP and the removal of HMs. This alone will require the game's region and gameplay to be designed differently. And if these aren't what they're referring to, it would be nice to know would be nice to know what those conveniences are.

I don't agree at all that things like EXP Share and HMs is a drastic change to the gameplay. It eliminates the tedium from the game, but it doesn't actually change anything about the design or gameplay. The only changes they could make to the design that would have any impact really, is changes to the map design, and they've already ruled that out.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't agree at all that things like EXP Share and HMs is a drastic change to the gameplay. It eliminates the tedium from the game, but it doesn't actually change anything about the design or gameplay. The only changes they could make to the design that would have any impact really, is changes to the map design, and they've already ruled that out.

Given there are eight HMs in Diamond & Pearl, the removal of them would indeed be drastic. This is particularly the case for Mt. Coronet, where the HM Rock Climb is essential for reaching Spear Pillar.

In addition, the removal of HMs allows players to play through the game with any pokemon they desire, rather than having to choose pokemon that can use certain HMs (or worse, an HM slave). Personally, I like playing with Ghost teams, which I can only do if there are no HMs.

Now, if the Pokémon Box returns, this will take care of the HM problem, as we could just swap 'mons in and out whenever we need them.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Given there are eight HMs in Diamond & Pearl, the removal of them would indeed be drastic. This is particularly the case for Mt. Coronet, where the HM Rock Climb is essential for reaching Spear Pillar.

In addition, the removal of HMs allows players to play through the game with any pokemon they desire, rather than having to choose pokemon that can use certain HMs (or worse, an HM slave). Personally, I like playing with Ghost teams, which I can only do if there are no HMs.

Now, if the Pokémon Box returns, this will take care of the HM problem, as we could just swap 'mons in and out whenever we need them.

Oh, when you said "removal of HMs", you meant removing the field obstacles altogether? No, I don't think they'll go that far, and they don't need to. They'll probably just replace it with something like Poke Ride or Secret Techniques (which is what I thought you meant by "removing HMs"). Removing the obstacles completely would mess with the nostalgia as much as any other design change, so replacing HMs with a new mechanic that allows you to clear them without wasting a move/Pokemon slot would be the best way to go about this.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
I wouldnt call not having news for over 5 months interesting, nor hyping.
Look at the reaction the lack of news has whenever anything is posted. Multiple people lament how there's nothing new on here alone. Taking that as representative of fans in general, the moment something does get announced, it will have an explosive effect within the fandom.

Which is why its interesting.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Oh, when you said "removal of HMs", you meant removing the field obstacles altogether? No, I don't think they'll go that far, and they don't need to. They'll probably just replace it with something like Poke Ride or Secret Techniques (which is what I thought you meant by "removing HMs"). Removing the obstacles completely would mess with the nostalgia as much as any other design change, so replacing HMs with a new mechanic that allows you to clear them without wasting a move/Pokemon slot would be the best way to go about this.

No! lol I don't mean removing the field obstacles.

I was definitely referring to an alternative like Secret Techniques, and how those alternatives do change the scope of a region, even if slightly.

Of course, my main thing was the removal allowing players to use any pokemon. I really don't feel like having to drag a Flying type everywhere because I can't go to a bloody Pokémon Center without HM02.

BCVM22

Look at the reaction the lack of news has whenever anything is posted. Multiple people lament how there's nothing new on here alone. Taking that as representative of fans in general, the moment something does get announced, it will have an explosive effect within the fandom.

Which is why its interesting.

"I'm losing interest in this game, I might not even buy it, they're hurting their sales, also I'm starved for information, when are we getting more info????"

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No! lol I don't mean removing the field obstacles.

I was definitely referring to an alternative like Secret Techniques, and how those alternatives do change the scope of a region, even if slightly.

Of course, my main thing was the removal allowing players to use any pokemon. I really don't feel like having to drag a Flying type everywhere because I can't go to a bloody Pokémon Center without HM02.

Then I don't think that is a drastic change. It's still the same map design as always. What changes is there's less trips to the Pokemon Center to get out your HM slave.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
"I'm losing interest in this game, I might not even buy it, they're hurting their sales, also I'm starved for information, when are we getting more info????"
A very interesting technique on their part! Whether it works or not will be shown in November.

LeoMessi10

Staraptor used to be the coolest bird. Then Talonflame came and everything else pale in comparison.

Lowkey hoping it'll be avaliable on BDSP but I'm not holding my breath.
We could certainly do with more Fire-types this time around, that’s for sure! It’d give Flint a much-needed team overhaul as well

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
At this point, I just want to know the exclusive Pokemon to each game so I can decide which version to get.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Seeing as how Arceus will probably be the final boss of PLA which will somehow be compatible with BDSP, that already makes me excited for the new games coming out this year/early 2022.

As for Manaphy/Phione, Darkrai and Shaymin, I still don’t know how they’ll be implemented into BDSP.
Darkrai could be a follow up to the small event that gets Cresselia roaming around Sinnoh. As for the other three (Manaphy/Phione and Shaymin) I have no idea on the matter.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
At this point, I just want to know the exclusive Pokemon to each game so I can decide which version to get.

I mean, we know what's exclusive in the originals, are you talking about post game exclusives? They might not give us any detail on that.

Beyond the usual suspects, I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll make Electabuzz and Magmar version exclusives. I think they might try to add a version exclusive or two from Platinum's expansion and they're the easiest choice (and they could also show up in the same areas that the other was found in Platinum). Might be worth waiting to see what they do there, but other than that we have a good idea already of what the version exclusives are.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I mean, we know what's exclusive in the originals, are you talking about post game exclusives? They might not give us any detail on that.

Beyond the usual suspects, I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll make Electabuzz and Magmar version exclusives. I think they might try to add a version exclusive or two from Platinum's expansion and they're the easiest choice (and they could also show up in the same areas that the other was found in Platinum). Might be worth waiting to see what they do there, but other than that we have a good idea already of what the version exclusives are.
WIth the lack of fire types, I really wouldn't want Magmar to be exclusive.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Yea, but what if they flip the exclusives? Not that they'd do that, but the thoughhad entered my head sometimes.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
WIth the lack of fire types, I really wouldn't want Magmar to be exclusive.
Honestly, I don’t think there is any need to worry about that. Most of the games since Pt that included Magyar and Electabuzz hasn’t made them version exclusives. They’re sort of becoming like how Scyther and Pinsir can now be found in all of the games they are found in together ever since GSC with FRLG being the exception. Same goes for Vulpux and Growlithe since Gen VII with LGPE being the exception.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Honestly, I don’t think there is any need to worry about that. Most of the games since Pt that included Magyar and Electabuzz hasn’t made them version exclusives. They’re sort of becoming like how Scyther and Pinsir can now be found in all of the games they are found in together ever since GSC with FRLG being the exception. Same goes for Vulpux and Growlithe since Gen VII with LGPE being the exception.
Also BW2.