• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Wouldn't it just be better to order it digitally?

Autobot N

I plan on buying digitally, but I still haven't decided which version.

Diamond & Pearl is the only main instalment where I owned both copies. I love both very much, and I'm honestly not sure which I love most. Ghost pokemon are usually the deciding factor (whichever version has the most Ghost-types), but the only exclusive Ghost type is Mismagius, who I don't really care for. lol

Maybe I'll go with Brilliant Diamond since I haven't actually played Diamond since 2007.
Palkia is the superior box legendary

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I plan on buying digitally, but I still haven't decided which version.

Diamond & Pearl is the only main instalment where I owned both copies. I love both very much, and I'm honestly not sure which I love most. Ghost pokemon are usually the deciding factor (whichever version has the most Ghost-types), but the only exclusive Ghost type is Mismagius, who I don't really care for. lol

Maybe I'll go with Brilliant Diamond since I haven't actually played Diamond since 2007.
For some digitally works. But I have a physical copy of all the main series games. RBY all the way to Sword and Shield. Even went out of my way to get my hands on a copy of Green. At this point in my life I am basically obligated to continue the collection as it is.
Have you tried other sites like Best Buy or Game Stop?
I have not but I definitely should look elsewhere if it doesn’t change.
For the reason above, no. Not for me.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
For some digitally works. But I have a physical copy of all the main series games. RBY all the way to Sword and Shield. Even went out of my way to get my hands on a copy of Green. At this point in my life I am basically obligated to continue the collection as it is.

I have not but I definitely should look elsewhere if it doesn’t change.

For the reason above, no. Not for me.
Green is Blue in Japan. Do you have a copy of Japanese Blue?

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Green is Blue in Japan. Do you have a copy of Japanese Blue?
You have that backwards. The Japanese Green version is the same as the American Blue version. I’m in the U.S. so green was never released here which is why I bought my own copy.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

Akashin

You have that backwards. The Japanese Green version is the same as the American Blue version. I’m in the U.S. so green was never released here which is why I bought my own copy.

He worded it a bit strangely, but I don't think he had it backwards. I'm pretty sure he was clarifying that Pokemon Green is the Japanese version of Pokemon Blue, and then asked if you had the Japanese Pokemon Blue, as that one was a Special Edition derived from Red and Green and thus technically a different game for collection purposes (that has no analogous International version, as our Red and Blue derived their assets from the Japanese Blue more so than Red and Green, if I understand the situation correctly).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm going to guess that the HMs will be replaced with Poké Rides, as they've been integrated into Pokémon Legends: Arceus. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to come up with Poké Rides for Surf, Fly, Rock Climb, Strength, Cut, and possibly Flash, with the Surf Pokémon able to be upgraded to handle Waterfall and Whirlpool.

I also noticed that random encounters in the grass have returned. I was hoping for the wild Pokémon to be visible in the grass. Playing CrisTales, a recently released RPG whose random encounters trigger like this, made me realize how spoiled I had become of seeing enemies (and, in the case of Pokémon games, wild Pokémon) visible in the overworld and allow me to pick and choose whom to battle, if anyone.

The Exp. Share was still unbalanced and unpleasant to have to deal with when it was made mandatory, and should be optional no matter what. It would be a simple thing to code so there’s no excuse for it being mandatory if they’re unwilling to change the levels and AI of opponents to compensate for having made training too easy. The only time I wasn’t overleveled in SwSh was the battle with Leon, which was extremely easy anyway - and that’s without abusing the experience candies. I’d rather my return to Sinnoh wasn’t like that if they can help it. For those who like having the Exp. Share, then let them turn it on - a simple toggle.

It’s kind of like my perspective on the Battle Frontier; it’s frustrating to see people claim that it’s fine to leave it out because they didn’t enjoy it or use it. In that case, the best decision is to include it and let the people who don’t care for it just… not go there. In this case, leave the option, but don’t make the Exp. Share completely mandatory or remove it entirely. Allowing the experience of a Pokémon game to be customized to how the player likes it is the best part of the series; the freedom to play as you wish makes the games infinitely more fun.

Unlike being able to toggle the EXP Share on and off, the Battle Frontier is not simple at all. It's an entire chapter of a game, albeit a postgame one. When designing a game, certain things need to be prioritized over other things based on your budget, development time, available staff, and many other things, some scheduled out in advance and some unforeseen. The Pokémon games have incredibly short development times compared to the size and scale of the franchise; most likely the Battle Frontiers were deemed low priority, at least compared to getting the main story stuff finished. More people would complain if the main campaign had what felt like missing parts than the postgame. It's a matter of picking one's poison.

Pretty much all video games go through situations like these. There is never enough time, money, or resources to put in everything one wants in a video game, so compromises have to be made. It's also why crunch exists, unfortunately.

Me, I'm running low on space on my Switch. I got a 64 GB micro SD card shortly after I got my Switch, but my library has grown large enough that I'm currently at about 4 gigabytes remaining. (The biggest ones appear to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, and Pokémon Shield. The three of them combined are about 43 GB.)

I ought to go get a 128 GB micro SD card. Maybe I'll go and find one on a good sale.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
He worded it a bit strangely, but I don't think he had it backwards. I'm pretty sure he was clarifying that Pokemon Green is the Japanese version of Pokemon Blue, and then asked if you had the Japanese Pokemon Blue, as that one was a Special Edition derived from Red and Green and thus technically a different game for collection purposes (that has no analogous International version, as our Red and Blue derived their assets from the Japanese Blue more so than Red and Green, if I understand the situation correctly).
Yeah, my sentence syntax was not very clear. I meant that if they had Blue internationally then they wouldn’t have what is considered Blue in Japan.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm going to guess that the HMs will be replaced with Poké Rides, as they've been integrated into Pokémon Legends: Arceus. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to come up with Poké Rides for Surf, Fly, Rock Climb, Strength, Cut, and possibly Flash, with the Surf Pokémon able to be upgraded to handle Waterfall and Whirlpool.

I also noticed that random encounters in the grass have returned. I was hoping for the wild Pokémon to be visible in the grass. Playing CrisTales, a recently released RPG whose random encounters trigger like this, made me realize how spoiled I had become of seeing enemies (and, in the case of Pokémon games, wild Pokémon) visible in the overworld and allow me to pick and choose whom to battle, if anyone.

Unlike being able to toggle the EXP Share on and off, the Battle Frontier is not simple at all. It's an entire chapter of a game, albeit a postgame one. When designing a game, certain things need to be prioritized over other things based on your budget, development time, available staff, and many other things, some scheduled out in advance and some unforeseen. The Pokémon games have incredibly short development times compared to the size and scale of the franchise; most likely the Battle Frontiers were deemed low priority, at least compared to getting the main story stuff finished. More people would complain if the main campaign had what felt like missing parts than the postgame. It's a matter of picking one's poison.

Pretty much all video games go through situations like these. There is never enough time, money, or resources to put in everything one wants in a video game, so compromises have to be made. It's also why crunch exists, unfortunately.

Me, I'm running low on space on my Switch. I got a 64 GB micro SD card shortly after I got my Switch, but my library has grown large enough that I'm currently at about 4 gigabytes remaining. (The biggest ones appear to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, and Pokémon Shield. The three of them combined are about 43 GB.)

I ought to go get a 128 GB micro SD card. Maybe I'll go and find one on a good sale.
I don't think that Poke Ride will be in this game because it would look weird with the chibi artstyle.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
They could probably do a system where you unlock certain abilities that your Pokemon can use on the field.

Say you unlocked the ability to transverse across water, and you have a Finneon (or what have you).
It will select Finneon and you never have to teach a Pokemon Surf, or have one with Surf out at all times.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
@Ophie Do you have a Walmart in your area? Regular Sandisk (XC) 128 gb sd cards sell for around $20 there.

Luthor

I'm still hoping for some new Unown forms. One of my favourite pokemon hunts was getting every single Unown form and being able to get the seals for the Pokeballs and I think with seals (now renamed stickers) confirmed to be in the game I'd like to see a few more to do that with.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m just wondering what move the Unown would get as HP being programmed into the games would be too much work and overly complicated given how it works. There’s also the question if Fairy would be added to the move type possibilities and then how would the game know to use it?

Luthor

I’m just wondering what move the Unown would get as HP being programmed into the games would be too much work and overly complicated given how it works. There’s also the question if Fairy would be added to the move type possibilities and then how would the game know to use it?

Yeah. If it its hidden power I would like it to be upgraded with the types it previously couldn't become. However I could see Unown plausibly getting a completely new signature move which potentially could be more useful.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
They could probably do a system where you unlock certain abilities that your Pokemon can use on the field.

Say you unlocked the ability to transverse across water, and you have a Finneon (or what have you).
It will select Finneon and you never have to teach a Pokemon Surf, or have one with Surf out at all times.
Please not. I want my pokémon team to be the way I want it, I want to rotate my mons around all the time. I don't want to be forced 100% of the time to have something compatible in my team with passing every stupid little tree the pokégovernment can't seem to clear. I hated it again when replaying Crystal, I hated it in ORAS and it caused by Milotic to end up horribly overlevelled (well each and every one of my water types, Milotic was just the worst because it also levels ridiculously fast) because I had to have it in the party so often, and I'll hate it in Sinnoh too, regardless of whether or not it takes up moveslots.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
On the subject of which version you are getting, as for me, well, since I detest the pink color, I'll go for Diamond. Nothing personal, Palkia :p

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I need to find a place to get my Switch’s SD card reader fixed. Ever since last January it almost always finds any card inserted unreadable & I’ve had to rely on my Switch’s game data since then.

I bought a Switch Lite to temporarily transfer my Pokémon save data so I don’t have to worry about it being erased, so now I need to decide on whether to send my Switch to Nintendo or just find a local place to get it fixed

Last edited:

Akashin

This is my personal preference for the handling of HMs, in general if not in these games specifically. The DS Digimon World/Story games did basically this, and while it's not perfect, I feel it's the happiest medium between the people frustrated by HMs and the people disappointed by the perceived lack of interactivity with their Pokemon by Poke Rides or just not having field obstacles at all. Certain Pokemon can remove trees, others can move or smash boulders, others can cross water, others can light up caves, etc.. In a similar vein, maybe update Teleport such that Pokemon who know it can function the same as flyers (they can to a limited degree as-is anyway).