• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I need to find a place to get my Switch’s SD card reader fixed. Ever since last January it almost always finds any card inserted unreadable & I’ve had to rely on my Switch’s game data since then.

I bought a Switch Lite to temporarily transfer my Pokémon save data so I don’t have to worry about it being erased, so now I need to decide on whether to send my Switch to Nintendo or just find a local place to get it fixed
I think there is a way to fix it using the formatting option. This link is from the official Nintendo Switch website. Try this.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You have that backwards. The Japanese Green version is the same as the American Blue version. I’m in the U.S. so green was never released here which is why I bought my own copy.

Actually, Pokémon Red & Blue in the US are updated versions of Pokémon Blue in Japan, which itself is an updated version of the original Red & Green.

Me, I'm running low on space on my Switch. I got a 64 GB micro SD card shortly after I got my Switch, but my library has grown large enough that I'm currently at about 4 gigabytes remaining. (The biggest ones appear to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, and Pokémon Shield. The three of them combined are about 43 GB.)

I ought to go get a 128 GB micro SD card. Maybe I'll go and find one on a good sale.

I actually need a bigger SD card myself.

I currently have a 128GB card, so I'm thinking about just upping it to 1TB. I need space before I download one or both of these versions. lol

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I wonder will they retcon Leafon’s and Glaceon’s evolutions to using the rocks again or allow them to evolve via stone like in SWSH
They probably will go the evolving Feebas path where we have the original way to get Leafeon and Glaceon and an easier alternative method using Stones if we have them. We will most likely be able to dig up more Ice Stones while in the Underground.

Akashin

I wonder will they retcon Leafon’s and Glaceon’s evolutions to using the rocks again or allow them to evolve via stone like in SWSH

It wouldn't surprise me if, from a mechanics perspective, they never removed that evolution method to begin with. As Captain Jigglypuff noted above, Feebas never lost the ability to evolve via Beauty; we just lost the ability to increase that stat. Likewise it wouldn't surprise me if the Pokemon that evolve via the Rocks and via the presence of magnetic fields can still technically do so, and it's just that the means to evolve that way weren't placed in Sword and Shield.

I'm thinking it'll be either or. Leaf Stones have to be in the game for other evolutions, and removing Eevee's ability to evolve into Leafeon that way seems pointless, so I would assume they'll have Ice Stones as well.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Actually, Pokémon Red & Blue in the US are updated versions of Pokémon Blue in Japan, which itself is an updated version of the original Red & Green.
Right. And then the version exclusives mirror that of the original red and green games. The reason green was changed to blue here was the thought that both red and blue are on the U.S. flag that those colors would sell better than red and green. Remember hearing that in an interview.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Right. And then the version exclusives mirror that of the original red and green games. The reason green was changed to blue here was the thought that both red and blue are on the U.S. flag that those colors would sell better than red and green. Remember hearing that in an interview.

Yeah, I know that part. I just stating it from a graphics and mechanics standpoint.

Anyhoo, has anyone noticed the six sections of the Grand Underground aren't connected together?

obzzg0d.jpg

It looks like the section we can go to depends on where we are in the region when we go underground, which means the Hideaway we can enter varies by the section we're in.

The biggest kicker to this - which concerns me greatly - is that if this is the case, the pokemon available in each Hideaway won't be obtainable until we reach that part of the region. For example, the pokemon in the Desert Hideaway won't be available until the postgame, since that Hideaway is located under the Battle Zone.

I PRAY there are Ghost types in the first two sections.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
It looks like the section we can go to depends on where we are in the region when we go underground, which means the Hideaway we can enter varies by the section we're in.
I will say that this reflects the Underground in DPPt. It was exceedingly frustrating when the DS top screen was telling you where to look for places to mine, but you just so happened to enter the Underground from the wrong position and all places available to mine were in another section. I believe there were two relatively major sections, one for just Mount Coronet, and a few others scattered.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
@Ophie Do you have a Walmart in your area? Regular Sandisk (XC) 128 gb sd cards sell for around $20 there.
Is that a non-sale price? Usually, SD cards are very hot items here, so I either see them not on sale or completely sold out.

I’m just wondering what move the Unown would get as HP being programmed into the games would be too much work and overly complicated given how it works. There’s also the question if Fairy would be added to the move type possibilities and then how would the game know to use it?

The new evolution methods simply ask for a Leaf Stone and an Ice Stone though. Leaf Stones are already available in the original Diamond and Pearl (and I'm guessing Ice Stones would be made available in the same ways), so would they get two different evolution methods and you can pick which one?

I PRAY there are Ghost types in the first two sections.
From what I can tell, gathering statues of various Pokémon to put in your Secret Base will cause Pokémon of that type to spawn, with priority given to the type with the most status or biggest statues. Hence, if you want to get some Ghost-types, you'll have to seek out statues of Ghost-type Pokémon.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I was simply suggesting the idea that there would be an alternate way to get the location based evolutions. The Ice Stone will have to be added to the item database in the games anyway and it can’t be mostly useless for most of the game as the only other Pokémon to use it to evolve are Alolan Vulpix And Sandshrew which are post game Pokémon in the original games.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Is that a non-sale price? Usually, SD cards are very hot items here, so I either see them not on sale or completely sold out.

The new evolution methods simply ask for a Leaf Stone and an Ice Stone though. Leaf Stones are already available in the original Diamond and Pearl (and I'm guessing Ice Stones would be made available in the same ways), so would they get two different evolution methods and you can pick which one?

From what I can tell, gathering statues of various Pokémon to put in your Secret Base will cause Pokémon of that type to spawn, with priority given to the type with the most status or biggest statues. Hence, if you want to get some Ghost-types, you'll have to seek out statues of Ghost-type Pokémon.
Yes it is a non sale price. They're just regular ones with no Nintendo branding on them, so they cost less.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

This is true, but this doesn't guarantee Ghost types exist in any of these areas at all, statue or otherwise.

It's already going to be a pain in the rear end to get Spiritomb early on. I'm just hoping I can get a Duskull and/or a Shuppet before the 3rd gym.

Last edited:

Luthor

Speaking of Spiritomb one thing I'm hoping the method to get spiritomb works better in these games than it did in the Diamond and Pearl games. Due to internet issues at the time I didn't have any players I could interact with. I'm going to breed one in-case it can't.

i hope they dont include putting honey on certain trees for very rare pokemon like munchlax and female combee
on a side note no joking last time i played pokemon diamond i got 2 female combees in a row with that method
i expect to be spending most of my time digging underground and ill likely go for the edition that has houndoor/houndoom in it

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I will say that this reflects the Underground in DPPt. It was exceedingly frustrating when the DS top screen was telling you where to look for places to mine, but you just so happened to enter the Underground from the wrong position and all places available to mine were in another section. I believe there were two relatively major sections, one for just Mount Coronet, and a few others scattered.

There was one major area, two smaller ones in the top right (Battle Area) and lower left. As well as a small bit for Spear Pillar.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
One small thing I hope they do but highly doubt will happen is have a cameo of someone from Aether Paradise at Canalave Library researching about Arceus as a nod to Type:Null & Silvally’s inspiration. Another cameo I’d like is Sycamore since he used to be one of Rowan’s students.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
One small thing I hope they do but highly doubt will happen is have a cameo of someone from Aether Paradise at Canalave Library researching about Arceus as a nod to Type:Null & Silvally’s inspiration. Another cameo I’d like is Sycamore since he used to be one of Rowan’s students.

That would be quite cool! Maybe a young Faba or something.

The Sycamore cameo could just be based in text: Rowan: "I've got to get back to those student internship applications.. I've even gotten one from Kalos!"

Red and Blue

While I like both Dialga and Palkia I think Palkia looks a bit cooler so I think I'll go with Shining Pearl. Just hope none of the Pokemon on my planned teams(outside Turtwig and Manaphy) become version exclusive for the remakes