• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I guess this is mostly for tiered battles? I mean you can't honestly expect a Girafarig to be in OU or something?

Most likely, Mr.Munchlax is referring to online battling in the regular games, not Pokémon Showdown. That is, Battle Spot, Victory Station, Union Room, etc. For the record, they're not tiered (except by players in Pokémon Sword and Shield's Ranked Battles, where players are segregated by win-loss history).

I just restarted Pokemon Diamond for the first time in like a decade. Really very disappointed in the early game bug pokemon. Kricketune is far worse than I remembered and not usable. It really needs massive buffs and probably an evolution. Technician is okay but that's not enough. Especially when you had great bug early bug pokemon in the last two games like Vikavolt and Orbeetle
At that point, the early-game Bug Pokémon (and Normal Pokémon) were not really meant to be kept on the team for very long, let alone meant to be used in multiplayer. You were supposed to catch one, use it for a little while, and remove it from your team in favor of stronger Pokémon you'd find later.

Most monster collection games still work in this way. Capcom, for instance, doesn't really expect you to play through Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin and keep Arzuros on your team all the way to the endgame. Not long after you find Arzuros, monsters you'll find outclass it while having similar or even the same abilities as it, and you're meant to swap Arzuros out with something else. Those monsters, in turn, are to be swapped out with even stronger ones later on.

Pokémon is the only monster collection franchise to have established a strong competitive scene, and so it's the only one to have ways of taking early-game Pokémon and making them competitively useful. Even then, it's only a recent development. Generation IV was when Game Freak experimented with that with Staraptor, and it didn't really go full swing until Generation VI with Talonflame (and even then, you weren't getting Gale Wings Talonflame from early-game Fletchlings).

(To give an idea of how pronounced it is in MHS2, Nergigante is a late-game monster. If up against an Arzuros three times its level, Nergigante can still move faster than Arzuros and one-shot it. Needless to say, the MHS competitive scene is a complete joke. There are only maybe four to five monsters that are viable in head-to-head multiplayer; everything else just kind of falls to them. Nergigante...is one of them. Yo-kai Watch's multiplayer is also pretty much nonexistent due to how stale it became. These two franchises, as well as most others of this subgenre, were built for the single-player campaigns.)

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Most likely, Mr.Munchlax is referring to online battling in the regular games, not Pokémon Showdown. That is, Battle Spot, Victory Station, Union Room, etc. For the record, they're not tiered (except by players in Pokémon Sword and Shield's Ranked Battles, where players are segregated by win-loss history).
You mean when I was asking about Girafarig? If so then I agree that BDSP won't technically have tiered matches, but players will probably make a meta and mock tiers battle around the games anyway like they did with Let's Go.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
I'm predicting they'll slightly change Fantinas dialogue or lore to say shes from Kalos. It would make sense since she spoke with a French accent in the anime and in the the original games.
She'd be from Unova if anything, since she has an American accent in the original script.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm predicting they'll slightly change Fantinas dialogue or lore to say shes from Kalos. It would make sense since she spoke with a French accent in the anime and in the the original games.

She'd be from Unova if anything, since she has an American accent in the original script.
I kind of thought it’d be funny if she reveals that Fantina’s just her persona for contests & gym battles while her real name is Melissa (her original Japanese name), while in the Japanese dub it’d be the opposite.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
One thing I’d love to see again is Looker working undercover to infiltrate Team Galatic and more of Charon acting as a mad scientist who is secretly working against Cyrus for his own selfish desires. Basically Charon wants to do something pretty awful to the Box Legendaries that Cyrus would be totally against such as completely turning them into full-fledged cyborgs or using Dialga to go back into time to introduce highly advanced inventions to people in the past to mess up the timeline.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
For all we know Fantina comes from a Canada-based region, so English and French make equal sense. If Gen 9 turns out to be based on Canada they could use it as a subtle hint.

I'm hoping that they bring back and reinvent the event-exclusive locations and mythicals. Be it DLC or just a limited time event. If Shaymin gets an event, they should link it to Floraoma Town

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
For all we know Fantina comes from a Canada-based region, so English and French make equal sense. If Gen 9 turns out to be based on Canada they could use it as a subtle hint.

I'm hoping that they bring back and reinvent the event-exclusive locations and mythicals. Be it DLC or just a limited time event. If Shaymin gets an event, they should link it to Floraoma Town
Later generations have provided hints as to the following region via an item that serves no purpose. Coming to mind is the Strange Souvenir found in Kalos that turns out to be a miniature tiki tchotchke from Alola. The Chalky Stone found in Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee is probably the one corresponding to Galar (referencing the White Cliffs of Dover in England).

So far, we've yet to find the item in Generation VIII corresponding to this, as they all serve an in-game purpose. It'll probably be made available in either Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl or in Legends Arceus.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Later generations have provided hints as to the following region via an item that serves no purpose. Coming to mind is the Strange Souvenir found in Kalos that turns out to be a miniature tiki tchotchke from Alola. The Chalky Stone found in Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee is probably the one corresponding to Galar (referencing the White Cliffs of Dover in England).

So far, we've yet to find the item in Generation VIII corresponding to this, as they all serve an in-game purpose. It'll probably be made available in either Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl or in Legends Arceus.
They might want to change tactics once in a while to hint without too many people catching on

Akashin

Would be interesting if they did that, but I think that they wouldn't--the point is to let people figure it out.
Agreed, and in any case, I don't think they could make the hints they've been dropping much more vague without rendering them pointless.

Personally though, I'm currently more interested in seeing if BDSP will have any easter eggs tying it to Legends. Something like Professor Rowan having a copy of the field journal we're writing in Legends, or maybe seeing one of the old-timey pokeballs on a shelf somewhere.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Agreed, and in any case, I don't think they could make the hints they've been dropping much more vague without rendering them pointless.

Personally though, I'm currently more interested in seeing if BDSP will have any easter eggs tying it to Legends. Something like Professor Rowan having a copy of the field journal we're writing in Legends, or maybe seeing one of the old-timey pokeballs on a shelf somewhere.
I’m thinking maybe some of the in-game dialogue will change depending if we are playing BDSP on an account with a save file for Legends on it similarly to how we get a free GMax Pikachu and Eevee if we have save data for the Let’s Go games except we need to wait until Legends is released.

Akashin

I’m thinking maybe some of the in-game dialogue will change depending if we are playing BDSP on an account with a save file for Legends on it similarly to how we get a free GMax Pikachu and Eevee if we have save data for the Let’s Go games except we need to wait until Legends is released.
Maybe... I'm not sure I like the idea of a change like that being unnoticeable until well after the games have launched, meaning people playing when the games first launch won't even see the difference.

I'm all for that sort of connectivity, but I'd rather BDSP unlock something in Legends than the reverse. I can't immediately think of something they could do with that in Legends though.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

I think we would see something like the Key System where connecting between the two games unlocks content

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I want to play it already
Especially with the walking Pokemon
R the contests being handled differently from the originals? And is so how?