• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
One problem with having many Pokemon outside of the first four generations is that not many in game trainers will use them anyway. This is a hard point for me to explain, but I'll do my best. One of the aspects of the Pokemon is not only you get to use them, but your opponents get to use them as well. Having too many Pokemon outside of what the opponents use would be a bit imbalanced. Even in FR/LG, HG/SS, and OR/AS, they had limitations on what you could feasibly use before trading before you got the National Pokedex. Personally, I feel like if it does extend past the first four generations, we will get a few others in this game like possibly Sylveon.

Now having said that, I'm still not sold that we are only getting the first four generations.
Here a point of ambiguity: Did this Facebook account erase the message because it was too early, or incorrect.
It is too early to know for sure. In the mean time, just trust the information that is out for right now.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I heard there is no competitive online in this games?
If so then that further makes me believe we wont have post gen 4 pokemon

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
They could make a workaround. If they are focusing on Sword and Shield as a main competitive format and don't want remakes to be the competitive format for a few more years then bring back the ALL OF THE missing DEXIT pokemon into a new Sword and Shield update so they can be used in online competitive there. Problem solved.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I counted five lines. Six if Sylveon is added. You’ve got the Mime, Clefairy, Marill, Ralts, And Togepi lines.
Snubbull could still get snubbed...?

One problem with having many Pokemon outside of the first four generations is that not many in game trainers will use them anyway. This is a hard point for me to explain, but I'll do my best. One of the aspects of the Pokemon is not only you get to use them, but your opponents get to use them as well. Having too many Pokemon outside of what the opponents use would be a bit imbalanced. Even in FR/LG, HG/SS, and OR/AS, they had limitations on what you could feasibly use before trading before you got the National Pokedex. Personally, I feel like if it does extend past the first four generations, we will get a few others in this game like possibly Sylveon.

Now having said that, I'm still not sold that we are only getting the first four generations.
Here a point of ambiguity: Did this Facebook account erase the message because it was too early, or incorrect.
It is too early to know for sure. In the mean time, just trust the information that is out for right now.
Something pointed out earlier is that at this point, there are less than 100 species between Generations V to VII still not available this generation. A large amount of those are starter Pokémon (with no Generation V or VI starts available yet, that's 18 Pokémon, though it will drop to at most 15 when Oshawott is made available in Pokémon Legends: Arceus). Considering very few NPCs use starters anyway, I think it's a manageable amount, especially if it's split evenly between Brilliant/Shining and Legends.

There are also very, very few trainers in Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra; nearly all of the returning Pokémon are not used by any NPCs at all besides AI teammates in Dynamax Adventures. For that matter, Legendary Pokémon are almost never used by NPCs. The first ever NPCs to use Legendary Pokémon were the Frontier Brains of Sinnoh; the first ever one with story relevance was N in Black and White. After that, the only other NPCs in the main series to use Legendary Pokémon were Ghetsis, Lysandre, Hop, and Mustard. Mythical Pokémon are not used by NPCs at all. I don't think it's that big of a concern for them for the player character to have a wider amount of Pokémon than NPCs.

That being said, no one is saying that you'll be able to use post-IV Pokémon before some certain point in the game. It's always been a reward, of sorts, for the enhanced remakes.

Something that would be interesting, however, is if they not only opened up Sinnoh Underground, but also areas where you ordinarily got Mythical Pokémon. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire did what I thought was something pretty interesting by offering Deoxys to everyone who played the postgame by making it story-relevant. I'd like it too if they expanded one of the many Mythical Pokémon locations in Sinnoh to allow you to get more Pokémon there once their stories are over. Though Arceus is unlikely due to it being at the center of, well, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, the very top of Mt. Coronet would be a logical location to put Minior, for instance.

They could make a workaround. If they are focusing on Sword and Shield as a main competitive format and don't want remakes to be the competitive format for a few more years then bring back the ALL OF THE missing DEXIT pokemon into a new Sword and Shield update so they can be used in online competitive there. Problem solved.
I have a hunch that this was their long-term plan from the start. I remember people noticing that Generation IV Pokémon in particular seemed to be missing from the base game for Pokémon Sword and Shield, and currently, every Fossil Pokémon has returned except for the Generation IV ones, and every Mythical Pokémon has been made available except for the Generation IV ones. By the generation's end, I predict all the gaps will have been filled in.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

that's 18 Pokémon, though it will drop to at most 15 when Oshawott is made available in Pokémon Legends: Arceus). Considering very few NPCs use starters anyway, I think it's a manageable amount, especially if it's split evenly between Brilliant/Shining and
The Pokémon Direct already confirmed ranked battles will be in SWSH, but I think all we can do at this point is wait & see what happens. Game Freak’s methods may be debatable (or money-grubbing & idiotic to some), but they always have something planned to help players get as many pokémon as possible through each generation, no matter how many games we have to buy to make it happen

I’m hoping that either SWSH or BDSP will get some form of DLC to fill in the remaining pokédex gaps, but all we can do now is hope & wait

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I take it that the compromise will be that BDSP will only have the original 493 mons up to that point but SwSh will have every mon up to this point, thus finally completing the dex and every single mon in existence will be usable in SwSh.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
So apparently Home is being updated next Wednesday. Maybe we get more news than, I think it's possible the Japanese Pokemon YouTube page has been real active lately so I think are getting something soon
I’m thinking it’s to prepare us for BDSP and Legends. Similar updates have happened for the SwSh Expansion Pass.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
So apparently Home is being updated next Wednesday. Maybe we get more news than, I think it's possible the Japanese Pokemon YouTube page has been real active lately so I think are getting something soon
It could just be that iOS and Android have so many updates that everything that runs on these platforms needs frequent updates just to keep them functional.

We'll find out what it is when it happens though. (Or maybe later than that.)

BCVM22

Yeah definitely don’t take app updates as signs of forthcoming news. HOME needs routine maintenance updates like everything else. Especially since we’re still varying months out from both releases. What exactly would they be preparing us for this far out?

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Yeah definitely don’t take app updates as signs of forthcoming news. HOME needs routine maintenance updates like everything else. Especially since we’re still varying months out from both releases. What exactly would they be preparing us for this far out?
To be fair, BDSP are only two months away which means the coverage cycle should begin on Sunday.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't think a Home update two months away from BDSP is really going to add anything significant related to the aforementioned games.

BCVM22

To be fair, BDSP are only two months away which means the coverage cycle should begin on Sunday.
Even if one does believe the "coverage cycle begins on Sunday" (on whose calendar?), again, app updates two months out aren't a particularly reliable predictive metric.

Luthor

I'm not expecting much from this Pokemon Home update. I think there will be a few minor improvements but nothing significant. I'd love to be wrong and this finally be the update that allows you to evolve trade Pokemon by the Pokemon home app or allows you to search for specific forms for trading but I doubt it. I don't expect much for BDSP specifically either as I think they might do an update a few days before release.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Just to make sure I get this right, was there a deadline for when you need to sign up to the Newsletter to get a code for the Manaphy egg? I've had the Newsletter since the Zarude event, but it's been a while since I've checked the settings.

SuperTentacle

Home won’t Support BD/SP and Legends until sometime in 2022. So I would believe that current Updates doesn‘t have Anything to do with the new Games.