• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Better than not having the third version content like ORAS.
Maybe. But I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it. Like I did with the expansion pass for Sword.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I will pay for any main game they release. I am a sucker for Pokemon haha
(Im talking about the main line games and not about the spin offs and moobile games etc... )

Akashin

Better than not having the third version content like ORAS.

I will forever maintain that ORAS' handling of the issue was ideal, at least for me. The issue of which evil team was the threat you were dealing with was no longer arbitrary because it was no longer a case of Team Magma/Aqua being heroes in one game and villains in the other, but rather a case of both being evil, but only one got given a necessary leg up from Zinnia to be able to move forward with their plans. Rayquaza still got a spotlight placed on it via Delta Episode, which remains my favorite post-game content to date. You lost out on having access to both Groudon and Kyogre and getting to see both clash, yes, but that was never entirely surprising.

I'm in the no-DLC camp. Not just because I don't want a Platinum Episode/Distortion World Episode/Whatever locked behind DLC, but because as Wulava said, timing is pretty tight for that sort of thing between launch and Legends. I agree that getting a Delta Episode sort of deal would be optimal here.

janejane6178

I will forever maintain that ORAS' handling of the issue was ideal, at least for me. The issue of which evil team was the threat you were dealing with was no longer arbitrary because it was no longer a case of Team Magma/Aqua being heroes in one game and villains in the other, but rather a case of both being evil, but only one got given a necessary leg up from Zinnia to be able to move forward with their plans. Rayquaza still got a spotlight placed on it via Delta Episode, which remains my favorite post-game content to date. You lost out on having access to both Groudon and Kyogre and getting to see both clash, yes, but that was never entirely surprising.

I'm in the no-DLC camp. Not just because I don't want a Platinum Episode/Distortion World Episode/Whatever locked behind DLC, but because as Wulava said, timing is pretty tight for that sort of thing between launch and Legends. I agree that getting a Delta Episode sort of deal would be optimal here.
You are wonderful

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

We did lose out on the Battle Frontier though, and there’s still no answer to that whole Looker popping up with amnesia thing

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
We did lose out on the Battle Frontier though, and there’s still no answer to that whole Looker popping up with amnesia thing
That was weird. Are they trying to move away from the Looker timeline before it becomes too cluttered for new fans.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I highly doubt that we'll see any post-Gen 4 Pokemon in these games.
The only two post-Gen IV Pokémon I see making it into the games is Mr Rime if regional form trades are available during the main story and Sylveon if the Platinum Dex is the one the remakes use.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
That was weird. Are they trying to move away from the Looker timeline before it becomes too cluttered for new fans.
I mean they've pretty much ditched the whole multiverse stuff after USUM, seeing how Let's GO and SwSh never touched upon it

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The only two post-Gen IV Pokémon I see making it into the games is Mr Rime if regional form trades are available during the main story and Sylveon if the Platinum Dex is the one the remakes use.
I don't even expect to see Sylveon here. I think that the dex will be restricted to just the 493 Pokemon that existed at the time of DP's release.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I mean they've pretty much ditched the whole multiverse stuff after USUM, seeing how Let's GO and SwSh never touched upon it
SwSh sort of touches upon it in the Crown Tundra DLC. The Legendary and Ultra Beasts found in the Max Lair are implied to have come from a different place via a portal of some kind which explains why the Lair will change what is inside at random and why the UB have suddenly appeared in Galar knowing that they only come out of Ultra Space via wormholes and portals.

janejane6178

I think not having atleast Sylveon in the game would be really dumb and annoyin.
This evolution is part of Eevee now. Why do we need to regress backward? :/

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think not having atleast Sylveon in the game would be really dumb and annoyin.
This evolution is part of Eevee now. Why do we need to regress backward? :/
LGPE did just that, and I expect all remakes to from this point forward because of Dexit.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Honestly, I doubt any form of DLC for this game. We're getting Legends in a few months after this releases.

Besides, they can just add the Distortion World and Charon (or any other supplemental character they want to add) to Giratina's story post-game.
ILCA would have to put the effort into doing so first tho which it’s still hazy for BDSP in general even with how it’s technically shown that it’s being improved on.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I will forever maintain that ORAS' handling of the issue was ideal, at least for me. The issue of which evil team was the threat you were dealing with was no longer arbitrary because it was no longer a case of Team Magma/Aqua being heroes in one game and villains in the other, but rather a case of both being evil, but only one got given a necessary leg up from Zinnia to be able to move forward with their plans.

Eh, not really. You still had the opposite version's team helping you which made little sense, and different teams showing up in different locations that felt inappropriate. Why is Aqua in Mt. Chimney? Why is Magma's Hideout in Lilycove? Why is Groudon in Seafloor Cavern instead of Mt. Chimney? Emerald handled all of this much better and much more realistically.

Rayquaza still got a spotlight placed on it via Delta Episode, which remains my favorite post-game content to date. You lost out on having access to both Groudon and Kyogre and getting to see both clash, yes, but that was never entirely surprising.

First of all, why does it matter if it's surprising? It's a remake, it's never going to completely surprising.

Second, there was MUCH more to Emerald that we lost out on than Groudon and Kyogre fighting. We lost out on the Battle Frontier giving us multiple battling styles, Match Call allowing us to rematch gym leaders, the Safari Zone expansion which added more post game Pokemon, Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass which added new areas to explore and allowed you to get the second fossil, and multiple other smaller things. ORAS had some great postgame content, but it was one step forward and one step back from Emerald and excluded the vast majority of what Emerald brought to the table. So it didn't feel like the proper celebration of Hoenn it should've been because it wasn't a definitive experience that represented all three games, mainly just a celebration of RS with them throwing a bone to Rayquaza and then doing a bunch of completely different things.

I agree that the timing is too tight for DLC so it won't actually happen, and in theory a Delta Episode situation would be better, but in practice in terms of how they did it in ORAS and how they're likely to do it here, we're going to miss out on some of Platinum's content and it's not going to feel like they're properly representing its content.

Akashin

Eh, not really. You still had the opposite version's team helping you which made little sense, and different teams showing up in different locations that felt inappropriate. Why is Aqua in Mt. Chimney? Why is Magma's Hideout in Lilycove? Why is Groudon in Seafloor Cavern instead of Mt. Chimney? Emerald handled all of this much better and much more realistically.

Ehh, I see this argument both ways. I absolutely don't disagree that Emerald's handling made sense, but none of those things failed to make sense in the remake.

The opposite team supported you because they felt the other was going too far, using Zinnia's help to push their goals in an extreme direction. Team Magma/Aqua were at Mount Chimney because they thought the Meteorite could be converted into a Mega Stone or a Key Stone; this makes no more or less sense regardless of the version you play. The team's base being at Lilycove holds up because Team Magma or no, having a base to store their stolen submarine makes perfect sense. You could turn this in another direction and argue perhaps that Groudon being sealed in an undersea cavern makes no sense and that everything else falls apart by consequence, but given how long its slumbered for, that doesn't feel like a big enough issue to question the integrity of the entire story.

Again, I'm not saying ORAS did a better job than Emerald, per se. What I am saying is that given that they wanted to retain the paired version format and the story differences that entailed, the way they handled it--by retaining those differences while making them entirely more sensible--was the ideal way to do it. Would a singular remake of Emerald have been better? Maybe yes, maybe no; given the end result, I'm not particularly inclined to say it matters all that much.

First of all, why does it matter if it's surprising? It's a remake, it's never going to completely surprising.

Second, there was MUCH more to Emerald that we lost out on than Groudon and Kyogre fighting. We lost out on the Battle Frontier giving us multiple battling styles, Match Call allowing us to rematch gym leaders, the Safari Zone expansion which added more post game Pokemon, Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass which added new areas to explore and allowed you to get the second fossil, and multiple other smaller things. ORAS had some great postgame content, but it was one step forward and one step back from Emerald and excluded the vast majority of what Emerald brought to the table. So it didn't feel like the proper celebration of Hoenn it should've been because it wasn't a definitive experience that represented all three games, mainly just a celebration of RS with them throwing a bone to Rayquaza and then doing a bunch of completely different things.

I agree with you on all points here, but I was talking purely in terms of story. All of these things are great things Emerald had, and not having them in ORAS sucks. But they were well capable of including them in ORAS regardless of whether the story aligned with Emerald over Ruby/Sapphire, and I consider that a separate issue.

They seem to as well, since their decision to exclude the Battle Frontier was unrelated to the games not being remakes of Emerald.

I agree that the timing is too tight for DLC so it won't actually happen, and in theory a Delta Episode situation would be better, but in practice in terms of how they did it in ORAS and how they're likely to do it here, we're going to miss out on some of Platinum's content and it's not going to feel like they're properly representing its content.

Perhaps. I think this part boils down to a difference in priorities. I've never been overly concerned with representation of past content; for all Delta Episode was, it was not really a representation of Emerald's story in any significant way (the only overarching similarity is that both involved scaling the Sky Pillar in search of Rayquaza). In its place we got a totally new story unrelated to past content, and I personally value that much more highly.

I don't think there's a right or wrong to that. If representation of Platinum's content is the priority, yeah, a Delta Episode situation wouldn't be satisfying. But for me personally, getting a new story focusing on Giratina and the Distortion World would be far more enjoyable.

LGPE did just that, and I expect all remakes to from this point forward because of Dexit.

LGPE was it's own, separate thing. It's way too soon to be sure anything it did is evidence of how they'll handle things moving forward.

At most we can reasonably guess any future Let's Go game (assuming there are any) would be handled similarly.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ehh, I see this argument both ways. I absolutely don't disagree that Emerald's handling made sense, but none of those things failed to make sense in the remake.

The opposite team supported you because they felt the other was going too far, using Zinnia's help to push their goals in an extreme direction. Team Magma/Aqua were at Mount Chimney because they thought the Meteorite could be converted into a Mega Stone or a Key Stone; this makes no more or less sense regardless of the version you play. The team's base being at Lilycove holds up because Team Magma or no, having a base to store their stolen submarine makes perfect sense. You could turn this in another direction and argue perhaps that Groudon being sealed in an undersea cavern makes no sense and that everything else falls apart by consequence, but given how long its slumbered for, that doesn't feel like a big enough issue to question the integrity of the entire story.

Again, I'm not saying ORAS did a better job than Emerald, per se. What I am saying is that given that they wanted to retain the paired version format and the story differences that entailed, the way they handled it--by retaining those differences while making them entirely more sensible--was the ideal way to do it. Would a singular remake of Emerald have been better? Maybe yes, maybe no; given the end result, I'm not particularly inclined to say it matters all that much.

Oh no, I absolutely think it needed to be a paired version, it just would've been better to make it more like Emerald split into two versions rather than its own thing.

I agree with you on all points here, but I was talking purely in terms of story. All of these things are great things Emerald had, and not having them in ORAS sucks. But they were well capable of including them in ORAS regardless of whether the story aligned with Emerald over Ruby/Sapphire, and I consider that a separate issue.

They seem to as well, since their decision to exclude the Battle Frontier was unrelated to the games not being remakes of Emerald.

You can't just isolate the story aspects when it comes to how they'll handle the game as a whole, you need to consider the full package of what is and isn't included. So saying "Yeah, ORAS didn't include some Emerald game content, but the story was good" isn't really a good argument in favor of continuing. You should argue for or against based on not just how Emerald vs. ORAS handled the story, but also the extra areas, extra Pokemon, extra facilities and features, etc. And I would definitely say that in terms of the whole picture, there was a lot from Emerald that ORAS did not do.

Perhaps. I think this part boils down to a difference in priorities. I've never been overly concerned with representation of past content; for all Delta Episode was, it was not really a representation of Emerald's story in any significant way (the only overarching similarity is that both involved scaling the Sky Pillar in search of Rayquaza). In its place we got a totally new story unrelated to past content, and I personally value that much more highly.

I don't think there's a right or wrong to that. If representation of Platinum's content is the priority, yeah, a Delta Episode situation wouldn't be satisfying. But for me personally, getting a new story focusing on Giratina and the Distortion World would be far more enjoyable.

The problem is that the whole reason remakes exist is because the originals are on old, outdated hardware that isn't selling anymore. So if the content from a third version like Emerald or Platinum isn't being included, how can someone that wants that content access it in the first place? They might be able to get away with it if they offered the third version through a VC or NSO type of service, but right now they are not, the only way to buy Emerald and Platinum, and therefore the content currently exclusive to those games, is on Ebay or some other reseller for an original copy of those games. And given how old those games are, they're in short supply and would cost an exorbitant amount. In short, not replicating past content leaves an untapped market.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
For anyone still doubting that any of the new pokémon released after the original Sinnoh games won’t be in the remakes, that’s still not a good argument. Even if they’re confined to the postgame, the Sinnoh remakes should still include all of the currently missing pokémon that weren’t in Sword and Shield.