• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Do you guys think the game will have Swarms again? Like how we could catch Phanpy that way.
I think they’ll be in either as swarms or something akin to how ORAS opened up more Pokémon to be available once Primal Groudon/Kyogre was drafted.

Akashin

I think this suspicious silence has more to do with the fact that the game is developed by ILCA, rather than Game Freak, so it's not treated as seriously by Nintendo/TPC authorities as a new GF game would be (I expect Legends Arceus to get more pre-release hype, although it has a little more time for that). Also, some people seem to believe that Nintendo is afraid that too much hype around Pokemon could "cannibalize" Metroid Prime 4 that comes out on October 8th and is heavily marketed as a big release. I don't believe in this theory that much, but who knows what's on their minds. Upcoming weeks will show if get more BDSP/LA news after the release of MP4.
In general, pre-release content this Generation has been less frequent than in past years. I'd sooner attribute the silence (can we really call a month or so since the last major trailer 'silence', anyway...?) to that change in approach than any lack of interest in marketing BDSP, because Legends is only two months behind the remakes and is being handled similarly.

Orphalesion

In general, pre-release content this Generation has been less frequent than in past years. I'd sooner attribute the silence (can we really call a month or so since the last major trailer 'silence', anyway...?) to that change in approach than any lack of interest in marketing BDSP, because Legends is only two months behind the remakes and is being handled similarly.
Ah yeah. Do you mean the old "they don't show us much because they want to surprise us" idea?

Because that's what people said about USUM, where people insisted there'd be new Alolan Forms as a surprise and then there weren't any (And just to be clear I didn't buy USUM, so it's not me being salty about purchasing a product I didn't like)
And that's also what people said about Let's Go, where people insisted that there'd be, at the very least, new mythicals GF wants to surprise us with.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but current evidence suggest that if GF doesn't show much, then there's nothing much (new) to show.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Ah yeah. Do you mean the old "they don't show us much because they want to surprise us" idea?

Because that's what people said about USUM, where people insisted there'd be new Alolan Forms as a surprise and then there weren't any (And just to be clear I didn't buy USUM, so it's not me being salty about purchasing a product I didn't like)
And that's also what people said about Let's Go, where people insisted that there'd be, at the very least, new mythicals GF wants to surprise us with.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but current evidence suggest that if GF doesn't show much, then there's nothing much (new) to show.
Accurate

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

They literally just did that with Sword & Shield, plus they kept a good chunk of content from the DLC a mystery until their release dates too.

Yes, I agree that USUM revealed pretty much everything before the games come out, but so far we've seen Gen 8 taking the opposite approach. Maybe they're hiding a bunch of content like SWSH did, maybe they're only hiding a decent amount of it like the IoA & the Crown Tundra, but at this point saying Gen 8 hype cycles are the same as Gen 7's is no different than comparing apples to oranges

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They literally just did that with Sword & Shield, plus they kept a good chunk of content from the DLC a mystery until their release dates too.

Yes, I agree that USUM revealed pretty much everything before the games come out, but so far we've seen Gen 8 taking the opposite approach. Maybe they're hiding a bunch of content like SWSH did, maybe they're only hiding a decent amount of it like the IoA & the Crown Tundra, but at this point saying Gen 8 hype cycles are the same as Gen 7's is no different than comparing apples to oranges

Aside from a fair number of new Pokemon and storyline stuff, SwSh's marketing really didn't hide all that much. Maybe some post game battle facilities, but in general all of the major features were revealed before the game released. Same with the DLC. I'm not really seeing a significant difference between 7th and 8th gen's marketing.

Orphalesion

Bolt the Cat already refuted your post very well.
In addition to that I'd like to point at PL :Arceus (à game that's still a few months further away that BDSP) where we already know that there will be new regional forms and évolutions (we don't know the number yet, be we know they will be in there)
Plus...with this being a "faithful remake" .... What surprises do people even expect? Best we can hope for is post-game or DLC missions for the mythicals.

Akashin

No, that's not what I mean.

I was not weighing in on whether or not the lack of information is indicative of a lack of information to give; personally, I'm inclined to agree with that sentiment, given everything else we've seen so far. I was replying to the notion that the lack of information is because these games are being treated less seriously in terms of pre-release coverage, when in general this Generation has been far less trigger-happy with its information reveals than Gens 6 and 7 were.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
No, that's not what I mean.

I was not weighing in on whether or not the lack of information is indicative of a lack of information to give; personally, I'm inclined to agree with that sentiment, given everything else we've seen so far. I was replying to the notion that the lack of information is because these games are being treated less seriously in terms of pre-release coverage, when in general this Generation has been far less trigger-happy with its information reveals than Gens 6 and 7 were.
Gen VI and VII revealed way too much in terms of info to the point that the only real surprise players had when it came to ORAS was the Delta Episode And Deoxys being a programmed encounter without an event to trigger it. And USUM only had the Rainbow Rocket Episode being the only thing not known about previously before the games were released.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, I don't even know how Gen 7 and Gen 8 news are even comparable with the frequency of Gen 7 news, and how most Pokemon/forms were revealed, compared to how Gen 8 was less frequent and left more Pokemon under wraps.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Gen VIII definitely revealed less that Gen VII. I can't believe they were staying so tight-lipped about even considering patching in more pokemon.

Game Freak is more likely to hold back their big reveals so that thye have some positive articles on day 1.

But still, they show something new and glitzy ahead of time in Gen VIII.

The first SwSh trailer was very much all about how nice the world looked, and showing off the new starters. Rather than focusing on features. It didn't even hint at Dynamaxing, or show a lot of new mons.

But the second one was released three months before released an showed a lot more of the new pokemon, pokemon in the overworld, the Wild Area and dynamaxing. Lots of the major NPCs.

They knew it was time to introduce something really exciting and original, and that kaiju pokemon would be their big talking point.

The BDSP trailers have put so much emphasis on retro features like contests and ball seals, and not revealing much that is actually brand-new to the franchise this late isn't a good sign to me. I am certainly not expecting new forms or pokemon, since the box legendaries don't look any different.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Gen VIII definitely revealed less that Gen VII. I can't believe they were staying so tight-lipped about even considering patching in more pokemon.

Game Freak is more likely to hold back their big reveals so that thye have some positive articles on day 1.

But still, they show something new and glitzy ahead of time in Gen VIII.

The first SwSh trailer was very much all about how nice the world looked, and showing off the new starters. Rather than focusing on features. It didn't even hint at Dynamaxing, or show a lot of new mons.

But the second one was released three months before released an showed a lot more of the new pokemon, pokemon in the overworld, the Wild Area and dynamaxing. Lots of the major NPCs.

They knew it was time to introduce something really exciting and original, and that kaiju pokemon would be their big talking point.

The BDSP trailers have put so much emphasis on retro features like contests and ball seals, and not revealing much that is actually brand-new to the franchise this late isn't a good sign to me. I am certainly not expecting new forms or pokemon, since the box legendaries don't look any different.
I highly doubt we get new forms or new Pokemon, when so far it seems we dont even have post gen 4 Pokemon.... =[

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So does this mean I don’t need to have a Pokemon dedicated to HMs in my party? Because I hate having an otherwise useless Bibarrel in my party during my Platinum playthrough.