• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Nave

I shudder every time I think of how I trained my Drednaw to beat Leon's Charizard, only to be hit with Max Overgrowth on the first turn...
I'm not happy that Exp Share can't be toggled off. I like turning it on for end game but that's it.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
The permanent EXP share aint too bad since pre-Gen 5, grinding was extremely time consuming. This was especially the case for Gen 2 and its Gen 4 remakes HGSS due to their notorious level curves, in Gen 4 terms, you get a level spike when you reach the E4 which basically sucks as you’d have to probably spend hrs to grind up for it and you didn’t get at least a Lucky Egg as a gift which helps reduce the time for that in the games until Gen 5. So tbh, the change was necessary.
Why did they remove the “capture the flag” minigame from the Underground? That was literally the best part about it. Single use TMs are an odd choice that will bring a lot of tedium to the game to grind for them but not too bad.
At least I have a reason to do unrelated story shitz.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Grinding for TMs? COME ON PEOPLE

SERIOUSLY

aight i’m frustrated
all the other info is fine by me but SERIOUSLY

Nodqfan

It's a shame that TM's are one-use again but I supposed it makes sense seeing as how they weren't reusable until Gen 5. Where I'll have a problem with it is if they don't change it back when they eventually do remake Gen 5.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Someone correct me but from what I understand, the underground bases are basically turned into a storage for statues? The actual aspect of secret bases are gone (decor, minigame), correct? If yes, then that sucks. I spent hours with my base in ORAS.

Also, the contest being a rhythm game where you just insert your "appeal move" when you think the time is right is okay, I guess.

Amity Square limiting it to just "cute" Pokemon have me worried. I want my Skuntank and Honchkrow following me.

I don't really mind the EXP Share and TMs. And being able to access the PC anytime is convenient as always.

Last edited:

Autobot N

I would prefer to have an optional EXP share, but I'm fine with it in the end. 1 use TMs returning is a bit suspect though

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That sucks. Especially given that it's not limited to just local internet now. It makes no sense to remove it.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Some actually like grinding (like myself) and so if they’re going to use the exp share in that way then they should at least give the option of turning it off. Now instead you’ll probably have to box some Pokémon and rotate which will be extremely time consuming.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually like how Exp Share works in the past three generations. I find that it makes preparing for the harder battles later on in the game and even catching the box Legendary much easier as I have tried to catch Giratina in Pt with a team only in the late 40s before which is a nightmare to do especially right after battling Cyrus in the Distortion World.

lablablabz

Some actually like grinding (like myself) and so if they’re going to use the exp share in that way then they should at least give the option of turning it off. Now instead you’ll probably have to box some Pokémon and rotate which will be extremely time consuming.
You can access the PC anywhere like in Let's Go and SwSh so not that time consuming

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I actually like how Exp Share works in the past three generations. I find that it makes preparing for the harder battles later on in the game and even catching the box Legendary much easier as I have tried to catch Giratina in Pt with a team only in the late 40s before which is a nightmare to do especially right after battling Cyrus in the Distortion World.
I like it too.
But the problem is that its basic that ppl should be able to turn it off....

Vini310

This Exp. Share controversy reminds me of Pokémon Clover, where the Exp. Share is a toogable option in the menu. It's turned off by deafault, but if you DO activate it, the challenge doesn't become trivialized, since the experience curve is lower and prevents you from getting too overleveled compared to the Gym Leader.
After reaching a certain level, if you don't have a certain amount of badges, your Pokémon will get significantly less experience points in battle.

However, I don't think that BDSP will have such system, since Pokémon games are designed to be easy.
The best way to change that? Make all battles 6 VS. 6 (as in, your entire team goes to battle at once, no switches).

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Eh I wish they brought back Challenge Mode from BW2. Or make it like where you select a difficulty of your choice. Like Easy, Normal, or Hard.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Interesting. I actually put Kalos as one of my favorite regions, as I find it so fun and so relaxing to just hop on the bicycle and travel through the place. For the record, this is independent of all other factors (story, gameplay, mechanics, characters, new Pokémon, etc.), and I consider Pokémon X and Y to be the worst of the main series games in terms of going through the game. But I digress, as this is not the right topic for this.

Instead, I'll say this:

The new trailer has now shown three of the traveling companions; Mira and Buck are still not shown. Buck I'm sure is because he's a postgame character, and Mira will probably come up in a later video. Did any of them fight Team Galactic grunts in the original games? I don't remember if they did. It would be nice to see them fleshed out further by helping you fight Team Galactic with them though.

Well, I like parts of Kalos the cliffs around Cyllage being my favorite area. Then again, I've been to Normandy quite a few times (where that part of the region is based off basically), so that's quite the bias.

As far as I know:
- Cheryl just simps along the forest.
- Riley helps you fight with Galactic-grunts on Iron Island.
- Mira is purely optional in Wayward Cave.
- Marley is just as much postgame as Buck.
- Buck might've helped in Platinum vs. Charon?

IDK if this has been known but I'm glad abilities are in this game.

The real question is whether or not abilities are in Legends.. >.>

It's a shame that TM's are one-use again but I suppose it makes sense seeing as how they weren't reusable until Gen 5. Where I'll have a problem with it is if they don't change it back when they eventually do remake Gen 5.

But you had reusable TM's in oRaS (Gen3-remakes), so... that's not really a valid argument?

I mean I'm really hoping they make the better TM's readily available after you found them in the overworld.

I really don't have fond memories from constantly struggling with breeding chains, passing down tm-moves and egg moves. DP was really fun until you realized that GARCHOMP didn't learn Earthquake..

Two options:
- 1. Waste your TM26 on what should clearly already have EQ in its learnset, or...
- 2. Breed a Gible with your Torterra. And if you went for Chimchar or Piplup.. you could probably train up a Hippopotas (quite a rare spawn unless you have a few Unown) or Mamoswine all the way up to level 37, breed EQ onto a female Rhyhorn and then breed EQ onto Gible.

The problem being: Swinub and Rhyhorn aren't available until PostGame in DP. Meaning that option 2... REALLY WASN'T AN OPTION FOR DP, but only for when Platinum came knocking!!!

Meaning you'd probably use your TM26 on Garchomp - and would afterwards have to start breeding it onto others in complex breeding chains..

Diamond and Pearl were FUN TIMES. Embarrasing unplayable games after Platinum came out..

Likes grinding / argues about boxing being time consuming.

I mean it might take up to one minute depending on how many you're switching out..

Eh I wish they brought back Challenge Mode from BW2. Or make it like where you select a difficulty of your choice. Like Easy, Normal, or Hard.

We all wish that..

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Same. I would have loved to see that make a return. It would be something for everyone.