• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Unless they change up the battle system this would be extremely tedious.
So...a traditional JRPG style combat system (like the older Final Fantasy games) but with Pokemon?

Vini310

So...a traditional JRPG style combat system (like the older Final Fantasy games) but with Pokemon?
It's basically that.
The main inspiration for this idea was Robopon 2 (GBA), where your entire team goes to battle at once. The difference is that in Robopon, the maximum team size is 4, while in Pokémon it's 6.

As for the Exp. Share discourse, what annoys me the most is this narrative that the older Pokémon games were there super hard games that forced you to maximize the potential of your sextet in order to win any battle.
And, well, they were not. Pokémon games ARE easy, even before the mandatory Exp. Share, having to grind your entire team was never essential to win. The only things you need to win in an older Pokémon game are:
- A starter with versatile moveset (i.e. it learns coverage moves) (leader)
- A secondary Pokémon with equally versatile moveset (helper)
- A bunch of weak Pokémon to be your HM users (subs)
You can go as far as to make the secondary Pokémon a HM Slave too.
With that in mind:
- Overlevel the leader and the helper (via Exp. Share for the latter).
- During difficult battles, use your subs as shields to recover you leader and helper.
- Spam healing items.
With this strategy, you can beat ANY pre-Gen 6 Pokémon game.
Do they look hard now?

Pokémon isn't even optimized for a team of 6, since you can only use one at a time and Double Battles are rare. And then there are the Triple Battles and Rotation Battles...

By the way, Digimon Story has obligatory Exp. Share since 2006, and shows the type effectiveness since 2016. The entire Digimon franchise does Dexit since 1999. But it's wrong when Pokémon does the same thing, for some reason.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Likes grinding / argues about boxing being time consuming.
And your point it? I never said grinding didn’t take any time. Obviously I would prefer grinding no matter how time consuming it is because as I said I enjoy it. I’m not gonna enjoy having to box all the time. So not sure what you think you’re doing right now.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m kind of hoping we’ll be able to use the PC boxes when facing the Elite 4. One thing I loved about SWSH was how we could rotate our pokémon when first taking on the Champion Cup because I had more than a full team of six and it felt similar to the Pokémon Leagues in the anime (more specifically the Sinnoh & Johto Leagues since Ash used all of his pokémon during those tournaments).

Since I’ll probably have more than six Pokémon in BDSP, I’d like to have the same thing when challenging the Elite 4 since it gives everyone a chance to shine and keeps my main team from being too strong when battling Cynthia

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Pokémon always take inspirations from other games. Even the DIve in RSE was inspired by Robopon 1.
I didn’t say Pokémon doesn’t take inspiration from other games. You can see a lot of Dragon Quest in Gen 1. My question is why would they take inspiration on a feature that’s already in their game with more options? They lose literally nothing with said options especially considering how the EXP Share is on by default. Obviously something caused them to force it on at all times but I highly doubt they were influenced by other games to make that change.

Orphalesion

It's basically that.
The main inspiration for this idea was Robopon 2 (GBA), where your entire team goes to battle at once. The difference is that in Robopon, the maximum team size is 4, while in Pokémon it's 6.
I wouldn't mind an ATB system (like in the older FF games) for Pokemon, but even then, I'd make it like 3 against 3 (or 3 against a "boss", as it were)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like being able to switch out Pokémon especially for the E4 which will be useful when facing Lucian as he has a pretty good team and his Bronzong and Alakazam were pretty hard to KO in one super effective hit especially if you don’t have Rapidash or Infernape which you probably won’t because of Bertha’s team.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I like being able to switch out Pokémon especially for the E4 which will be useful when facing Lucian as he has a pretty good team and his Bronzong and Alakazam were pretty hard to KO in one super effective hit especially if you don’t have Rapidash or Infernape which you probably won’t because of Bertha’s team.
Not sure whether the use of the mobile PC Box is disabled while doing the Championship Tournament in SWSH and the Pokemon League in Let’s Go. If it is the same could apply while you are challenging the Pokemon League in BDSP.

Edit: Use of the mobile PC Box is indeed temporarily disabled in SWSH during a Gym Challenge or the Championship Tournament.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Thank god the EXP share is back, ya'll I can't go back to grinding, I really can't xD. That's why I'm hoping for let's go Johto soon so I can play through johto without grinding lol.
This is a good post! Johto is a place where grinding is dumb! You and me, we are both...allies. *sparkle*

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Thank god the EXP share is back, ya'll I can't go back to grinding, I really can't xD. That's why I'm hoping for let's go Johto soon so I can play through johto without grinding lol.
This is a good post! Johto is a place where grinding is dumb! You and me, we are both...allies. *sparkle*
I don’t want to be reminded of the horsecrap I had to go through every time I played HGSS. And having to resort to using Legendaries at times wasn’t fun either.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
That makes no sense. How does removing the option benefit them? Also I highly doubt Pokémon feels the need to follow after either of them considering how big it is
Specially when Pokémon's beaten them all at some point.

Autobot N

I don’t want to be reminded of the horsecrap I had to go through every time I played HGSS. And having to resort to using Legendaries at times wasn’t fun either.
The secret is to only use 3 or 4 Pokemon for the majority of the game, it means there's more EXP for each Pokemon. Whenever I do that, I don't have to resort to much grinding

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Now that I think about it, I think I’ll enjoy the TMs being single use again (as long as you can replenish easily like with the TRs in SwSh). A massive pet peeve of TMs going reusable starting in Gen 5 was that a decent amount of good TMs were locked to the postgame for whatever reason.