• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Now that I think about it, I think I’ll enjoy the TMs being single use again (as long as you can replenish easily like with the TRs in SwSh). A massive pet peeve of TMs going reusable starting in Gen 5 was that a decent amount of good TMs were locked to the postgame for whatever reason.
Yep. My biggest issues that I had with them were what you mentioned and the cost of some of them.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Yep. My biggest issues that I had with them were what you mentioned and the cost of some of them.
The ones locked behind the Battle Subway was pretty bad. The way you gained BP there was an extremely horrible process to go through that I think I only ever had gotten 15 BP after a run just once. Also I think Dialgia and Palkia are going to get something special as their gems are glowing very brightly which is definitely something that we’ve never seen happen before with those two.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
The TM thing depends on how frequent the drops are for me. If they're more like SwSh where they give them out like candy if you participate in the extra content then it'll be fine, a little demanding, but not bad. If they're very rare drops that you have to go out of your want to hunt for however, then it's going to be a problem.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
There’s three rounds in the original games and I’m pretty sure we’ve seen the other rounds in the trailers (though I can’t go look to confirm right now). Showing off your Pokémon’s appearance, rhythm round, and using moves to impress the judges.
I hope u r right. Cuz a mere rhym game wont be that fun =/
I

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My guess is that the Dress Up part is being replaced with different props and smaller fashion accessories that make sense instead of things like Fluff. I want to dress up a Pachirisu in a little top hat and tuxedo with a walking stick and monocle for the Primary stage not just randomly stick on pieces of fluff and a tree stump to it.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I hope u r right. Cuz a mere rhym game wont be that fun =/
I
Now for the question: Will there be a BGM feature where you can just listen to the music from the rhythm game? Several VNs I’ve played had a soundtrack feature, and it’s nice.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The ones locked behind the Battle Subway was pretty bad. The way you gained BP there was an extremely horrible process to go through that I think I only ever had gotten 15 BP after a run just once. Also I think Dialgia and Palkia are going to get something special as their gems are glowing very brightly which is definitely something that we’ve never seen happen before with those two.

Yea I think that I remember that. It took forever to earn BP. It was just tedious. Interesting. Maybe.

There’s three rounds in the original games and I’m pretty sure we’ve seen the other rounds in the trailers (though I can’t go look to confirm right now). Showing off your Pokémon’s appearance, rhythm round, and using moves to impress the judges.

I hate rhythm games... since I don't have much in the way of it. XD I'm hoping that we have to be very good at it... as that would take me out of it tbh.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
And your point it? I never said grinding didn’t take any time. Obviously I would prefer grinding no matter how time consuming it is because as I said I enjoy it. I’m not gonna enjoy having to box all the time. So not sure what you think you’re doing right now.

My point is that I'm expressing confusion on you enjoying something that takes several hours depending on the grind, but have issues with something that takes maybe a minute or two of your time in order to facilitate what you like to do.

And it would take far more extra time if you had to go back to a stationary PC in order to switch up your party.

I’m kind of hoping we’ll be able to use the PC boxes when facing the Elite 4. One thing I loved about SWSH was how we could rotate our pokémon when first taking on the Champion Cup because I had more than a full team of six and it felt similar to the Pokémon Leagues in the anime (more specifically the Sinnoh & Johto Leagues since Ash used all of his pokémon during those tournaments).

Since I’ll probably have more than six Pokémon in BDSP, I’d like to have the same thing when challenging the Elite 4 since it gives everyone a chance to shine and keeps my main team from being too strong when battling Cynthia

That would've been cool. A way to mix in the 'benched' Pokémon with main team members into the challenge, while finishing with the main 6.

This is a good post! Johto is a place where grinding is dumb! You and me, we are both...allies. *sparkle*

The problem is that this just isn't true.

If you want to train up a wild pokemon -caught near the 7th gym- up to the level of the Pryce's ace, you'll need to train 15/16 levels (15ish to 31). If you do the same in Red, you'd need to grind MORE levels. Lets say you catch a Staryu at Seafoam Islands. It's already level 30. Great, but Blaine's ace is a level 47 (or level 54 in Yellow) Arcanine. Meaning that you'll have to grind way more experience then the lv15-30-curve.

The TM thing depends on how frequent the drops are for me. If they're more like SwSh where they give them out like candy if you participate in the extra content then it'll be fine, a little demanding, but not bad. If they're very rare drops that you have to go out of your want to hunt for however, then it's going to be a problem.

The thing that decides it for me is whether it would be more time consuming to chainbreed the TM-moves down (and train level1 pokemon up again) or do whatever they come up with to replenish the tm's..

I hated chainbreeding in DP..

PCN24454

I can see why people might be disappointed, but I'm not going to judge it before playing it. I want it to be as difficult as diamond and pearl, with the battle frontier and every pokémon available.
It won't because they already added Gen VIII QoL features.

Autobot N

It won't because they already added Gen VIII QoL features.
The reality of the situation is that few, if any, Pokemon games are actually difficult. It just seemed that way because most of us were young and stupid when we first played them. That doesn't mean the newer ones aren't easier (they are); it's just that no Pokemon game was hard to begin with.

PCN24454

The reality of the situation is that few, if any, Pokemon games are actually difficult. It just seemed that way because most of us were young and stupid when we first played them. That doesn't mean the newer ones aren't easier (they are); it's just that no Pokemon game was hard to begin with.
Nah, I played Pokémon Red on the VC and I noticed how much harder it was and how I needed to plan out my moves more in comparison to LeafGreen. It showed me how much I was spoiled by playing later generations.

ShadowForce720

Nah, I played Pokémon Red on the VC and I noticed how much harder it was and how I needed to plan out my moves more in comparison to LeafGreen. It showed me how much I was spoiled by playing later generations.
That’s less because of Red being hard just because of being a harder game and more so just because the available moves, and other things were very limited and a lot of Pokémon had horrible move pools that weren’t fixed until later generations.

PCN24454

That’s less because of Red being hard just because of being a harder game and more so just because the available moves, and other things were very limited and a lot of Pokémon had horrible move pools that weren’t fixed until later generations.
How do you know that that the movepools were horrible? How do you know the later movepools aren't just bloated?

It's something that really annoyed me about SwSh. There used to be a trade-off to evolving your Pokémon too early especially with Stone Evolutions. Now they can have big movepools even at level 1.

ShadowForce720

How do you know that that the movepools were horrible? How do you know the later movepools aren't just bloated?

It's something that really annoyed me about SwSh. There used to be a trade-off to evolving your Pokémon too early especially with Stone Evolutions. Now they can have big movepools even at level 1.
The generation one moves were horrible because quite a few Pokémon had situations where they had no type coverage and on top of that in some cases didn’t even learn moves of there type until extremely late in their levels or not even at all.

Heck I’m pretty sure if you asked around of what people thought of the generation one move pools compared to the move pools in other generations most people would agree that the generation one move pools were horrible.

Plus it’s easy to look up the move pools of the different Pokémon in gen 1 and see their move pools in later generation by just going and looking them up on Serebii.

In all honesty trades off of evolving your Pokémon using stones early weren’t really that good or balanced. If anything they were to restrictive.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone know how good Manaphy is WITHOUT Tail Glow? I want to use one on my team since I missed out on getting one in the original games, but I heard from other members that it's basically broken between Tail Glow & its stats. I was thinking of not having Manaphy know Tail Glow to make using it more challenging (it the move's coded in the game), but is it still a broken, unkillable god without knowing Tail Glow?

PCN24454

The generation one moves were horrible because quite a few Pokémon had situations where they had no type coverage and on top of that in some cases didn’t even learn moves of there type until extremely late in their levels or not even at all.

Heck I’m pretty sure if you asked around of what people thought of the generation one move pools compared to the move pools in other generations most people would agree that the generation one move pools were horrible.

Plus it’s easy to look up the move pools of the different Pokémon in gen 1 and see their move pools in later generation by just going and looking them up on Serebii.

In all honesty trades off of evolving your Pokémon using stones early weren’t really that good or balanced. If anything they were to restrictive.
I actually noticed that a lot of status moves had higher success rates in the game.

The SPD being used for crits actually made Rattata which was really weak a very consistent battler as well.

It’s as though each individual move was made less and less effective over time to help be able to sell the new moves.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I like being able to switch out Pokémon especially for the E4 which will be useful when facing Lucian as he has a pretty good team and his Bronzong and Alakazam were pretty hard to KO in one super effective hit especially if you don’t have Rapidash or Infernape which you probably won’t because of Bertha’s team.
Isn't planning for that kind of gauntlet the whole challenge of a party RPG though? I think failing or struggling against unfair odds makes the victory feel worthwhile. It feels unfair to me when I can just tailor my team to every opponent before I battle them. Especially when its so simply to beat most monotype teams.
It seems like the real gameplay challenge is building a team that can take-on anyone.

Still, I guess I could just not use the box feature when I want it to be more of a challenge. Its not forced on the player like the Exp Share...

I don't think I'll enjoy the campaign if the exp. share isn't optional. I like to do use pokebank/home to start playthroughs where I create a team beforehand, like a monotype team, or a team with pokemon from a different generation. Then start a new game.
But having both the boost from pokemon with a different OT, and having the constant exp. share on means you barely get to put a pokemon in your party before it becomes obscenely overlevelled.

Does anyone know how good Manaphy is WITHOUT Tail Glow? I want to use one on my team since I missed out on getting one in the original games, but I heard from other members that it's basically broken between Tail Glow & its stats. I was thinking of not having Manaphy know Tail Glow to make using it more challenging (it the move's coded in the game), but is it still a broken, unkillable god without knowing Tail Glow?
In competitive its still pretty good without Tail Glow. There are rest-hydration sets that don't use tail glow that are completely viable in OU. In-game its sheer stats make it very powerful. Especially as it will probably automatically have at least 3 perfect IVs.

In-game Manaphy will probably be crazy broken. Even if it starts out at lvl 10, like the celebi from X&Y, it will have a different OT, so it will level up very quickly for its experience group, especially with exp. share on.
Base 100 all around stats are quite good even late-game, being fast enough to outspeed most pokemon, strong enough to usually OHKO and bulky enough to take damage well. In-game, a level 10 Manaphy can have stats nearing those of a lvl 20 unevolved pokemon. Especially if it has good IVs.

Last edited: