• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Isn't planning for that kind of gauntlet the whole challenge of a party RPG though? I think failing or struggling against unfair odds makes the victory feel worthwhile. It feels unfair to me when I can just tailor my team to every opponent before I battle them. Especially when its so simply to beat most monotype teams.
It seems like the real gameplay challenge is building a team that can take-on anyone.

Still, I guess I could just not use the box feature when I want it to be more of a challenge. Its not forced on the player like the Exp Share...
In SWSH the use of the mobile PC box is disabled while you are doing the Gym Challenge or the Championship Tournament so it is possible BDSP could do that (don't know if that was the case of the Let's Go games). Also I recall the distribution for Manaphy is that for its egg (not Manaphy itself), so it will not have the boosted Exp since you need to hatch it (thus it is treated as a Pokemon that you obtained yourself).

Autobot N

Isn't planning for that kind of gauntlet the whole challenge of a party RPG though? I think failing or struggling against unfair odds makes the victory feel worthwhile. It feels unfair to me when I can just tailor my team to every opponent before I battle them. Especially when its so simply to beat most monotype teams.
It seems like the real gameplay challenge is building a team that can take-on anyone.

Still, I guess I could just not use the box feature when I want it to be more of a challenge. Its not forced on the player like the Exp Share...

I don't think I'll enjoy the campaign if the exp. share isn't optional. I like to do use pokebank/home to start playthroughs where I create a team beforehand, like a monotype team, or a team with pokemon from a different generation. Then start a new game.
But having both the boost from pokemon with a different OT, and having the constant exp. share on means you barely get to put a pokemon in your party before it becomes obscenely overlevelled.

In competitive its still pretty good without Tail Glow. There are rest-hydration sets that don't use tail glow that are completely viable in OU. In-game its sheer stats make it very powerful. Especially as it will probably automatically have at least 3 perfect IVs.

In-game Manaphy will probably be crazy broken. Even if it starts out at lvl 10, like the celebi from X&Y, it will have a different OT, so it will level up very quickly for its experience group, especially with exp. share on.
Base 100 all around stats are quite good even late-game, being fast enough to outspeed most pokemon, strong enough to usually OHKO and bulky enough to take damage well. In-game, a level 10 Manaphy can have stats nearing those of a lvl 20 unevolved pokemon. Especially if it has good IVs.
Pretty sure they’re giving it to us as an egg, so it’ll be level 1 with our OT

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
In SWSH the use of the mobile PC box is disabled while you are doing the Gym Challenge or the Championship Tournament so it is possible BDSP could do that (don't know if that was the case of the Let's Go games). Also I recall the distribution for Manaphy is that for its egg (not Manaphy itself), so it will not have the boosted Exp since you need to hatch it (thus it is treated as a Pokemon that you obtained yourself).

This is great. It means you at least can try to get a Modest/Timid nature on it..

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
This is great. It means you at least can try to get a Modest/Timid nature on it..
Even if they don't, there's still a chance they could have mints as Battle Tower prizes to give Manaphy Modest/Timid stats

Locormus

Even if they don't, there's still a chance they could have mints as Battle Tower prizes to give Manaphy Modest/Timid stats

I've personally never used a mint before.. and I don't know how I feel about it actually. I don't like the idea of bending a being's nature to my will by force feeding it a 'mint'.. >.>

Yeah, basically I'm that guy that still goes around catching roughly 30 Abra at the start of a game (well, Natu in Sword), hoping to get those Adamant, Jolly, Modest and Timid natures.. And after which I'll try to get something with Trace (Ralts, upgraded to Porygon2 in IoA) so that I can have a fainted Synchronizer as a lead followed with a the Tracer so I know exactly what I'm catching..

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I've personally never used a mint before.. and I don't know how I feel about it actually. I don't like the idea of bending a being's nature to my will by force feeding it a 'mint'.. >.>

Yeah, basically I'm that guy that still goes around catching roughly 30 Abra at the start of a game (well, Natu in Sword), hoping to get those Adamant, Jolly, Modest and Timid natures.. And after which I'll try to get something with Trace (Ralts, upgraded to Porygon2 in IoA) so that I can have a fainted Synchronizer as a lead followed with a the Tracer so I know exactly what I'm catching..
I’ve never used a Mint before either. I sort of forget that they exist. I don’t really care about Natures tbh because I’m more of a casual player that focuses more on Abilities that work well with my Pokémon’s move set. I just play for fun and not much else. Abilities are really the only thing I pay attention to as some Pokémon are better with certain Abilities and just awful with others.

Locormus

Like I said I enjoy grinding so the time it takes doing that doesn't bother me because I have fun doing it. Switching between Pokemon is annoying and feels more time consuming in an annoying way because I have no interest in doing the action. What's not clicking here?

Okay, that's fine.. But to me it still feels as if you're expressing that you like writing - but find it a chore to pick up a pen. To me it just feels part of the deal.

I'm still holding out on Megas returning. I know it's looking less likely, but there's nothing wrong with having hope.

I held out hope, but I'm pretty sure we would've seen something by now since we're just a month away from release. I really wanted to use Mega Lopunny, but I'll make due with Cute Charm Lopunny. :p

I’ve never used a Mint before either. I sort of forget that they exist. I don’t really care about Natures tbh because I’m more of a casual player that focuses more on Abilities that work well with my Pokémon’s move set. I just play for fun and not much else. Abilities are really the only thing I pay attention to as some Pokémon are better with certain Abilities and just awful with others.

So am I.

For instance, Bouffalant is one of my Top5 favorite Pokémon and I know that Sap Sipper is the preferred nature for Bouffalant in any form of competition. But I just want my Bouffalant to have a sick Head Charge attack since it works well with how I envision the species.. and thus I want it to have the Reckless-ability and pair it with Wild Charge as well since that's the only other move it has that works with Reckless..

That being said.. if it then has the Quiet-nature.. it just won't click with me. I can handle 'incorrect'-natures on stuff I'm not going to use ingame (and often natures that handle the defenses are mèh to me). But seeing a physical wallbreaker with a SpA-boosting nature, while hindering its Speed-stat is a just a sin.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I’m normally the same way since I like to get natures that either work with the Pokémon’s moves or pair well with its characteristics to imply a fun personality.

I only got a little into competitive battling this generation due to SWSH’s emphasis in sports, though after trying mints out they’re less like changing a Pokémon’s personality and more like changing their taste buds. Their natures & characteristics remain the same, it’s just their EV boosts that change.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't actually change the nature. A Quiet Pokemon will still be Quiet after eating an Adamant Mint. It just changes the stat emphasis of the nature for that specific Pokemon. If that's still feeling too manipulative, then that's fine, but there is no physical nature change.

Pokemon Power

1 month left.
Do u think that there might be new features we dont know about?
I think there might be a post-game story with elements of Pokemon Platinum, just like the Delta Episode in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. And since Giratina would undoubtedly play a major role in it, perhaps you could get a chance to capture Shaymin, in reference to the eleventh movie.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I think there might be a post-game story with elements of Pokemon Platinum, just like the Delta Episode in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. And since Giratina would undoubtedly play a major role in it, perhaps you could get a chance to capture Shaymin, in reference to the eleventh movie.
Splendid

Locormus

1 month left.
Do u think that there might be new features we dont know about?

There's always that little bit of hope, but at this point I'm starting to feel pessimistic about any 'extra's that weren't in the original.

I feel as if there's like only a couple of talking points really:

1. PostGame:
- Battle Frontier: Isn't happening as we saw the map.
- PokéRadar: It should be. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't unless improved upon.
- Having the option to rebattle important trainers: Sadly, I think this isn't going to be a thing..
- I'd like postgame stories with Giratina and Heatran, but I don't expect them to. It would be a waste, but it seems as if the marketing has already shifted more and more towards Legends and thus I'm just expecting these to be quick games to tie us over to January.

2. Mythicals:
- Manaphy: EarlyPurchase Gift.
- Darkrai: I'd like a storybeat, but I'm not holding out hope for it because...
- Shaymin: Having a story with Marley and Shaymin would make a lot more sense since that area to the east of Victory Road is so redudant otherwise - and we saw the Gracidea Lady in Floaroma Town in earlier promotional material.
- Arceus: Held off until Legends.

I feel like having 3/4 mythicals obtainable in a game would be overkill to me. I've gathered to people really want 'Mythicals' to basically become 'Legendaries', but that's not an opinion I share. I don't want Mythicals to just be handouts (like Zarude and Shiny Celebi), but how they were in GenV. You get an item and you get to have extra storybeats unlocked after which you can catch the Mythical.

In short:
- 1. I think the PostGame is going to be incredibly short and not worthwhile. Very limited ongoing story after beating Cynthia. Giratina and Heatran will probably not get story-arcs like they did in Platinum (DistortionWorld and Charon respectively). If they do I'd be surprised.
- 2. I'm just expecting Manaphy and maaaaybe Shaymin.. but it seems like doing Shaymin would probably mean not doing the Distortion World or Mt.Stark. Which would be weird trade-off, but yeah. People are begging for Shaymin apparently.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
There's always that little bit of hope, but at this point I'm starting to feel pessimistic about any 'extra's that weren't in the original.

I feel as if there's like only a couple of talking points really:

1. PostGame:
- Battle Frontier: Isn't happening as we saw the map.
- PokéRadar: It should be. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't unless improved upon.
- Having the option to rebattle important trainers: Sadly, I think this isn't going to be a thing..
- I'd like postgame stories with Giratina and Heatran, but I don't expect them to. It would be a waste, but it seems as if the marketing has already shifted more and more towards Legends and thus I'm just expecting these to be quick games to tie us over to January.

2. Mythicals:
- Manaphy: EarlyPurchase Gift.
- Darkrai: I'd like a storybeat, but I'm not holding out hope for it because...
- Shaymin: Having a story with Marley and Shaymin would make a lot more sense since that area to the east of Victory Road is so redudant otherwise - and we saw the Gracidea Lady in Floaroma Town in earlier promotional material.
- Arceus: Held off until Legends.

I feel like having 3/4 mythicals obtainable in a game would be overkill to me. I've gathered to people really want 'Mythicals' to basically become 'Legendaries', but that's not an opinion I share. I don't want Mythicals to just be handouts (like Zarude and Shiny Celebi), but how they were in GenV. You get an item and you get to have extra storybeats unlocked after which you can catch the Mythical.

In short:
- 1. I think the PostGame is going to be incredibly short and not worthwhile. Very limited ongoing story after beating Cynthia. Giratina and Heatran will probably not get story-arcs like they did in Platinum (DistortionWorld and Charon respectively). If they do I'd be surprised.
- 2. I'm just expecting Manaphy and maaaaybe Shaymin.. but it seems like doing Shaymin would probably mean not doing the Distortion World or Mt.Stark. Which would be weird trade-off, but yeah. People are begging for Shaymin apparently.
That would suck tbh
They game other company to be in charged of these games, while they work on LOA. So they have no excuse

Locormus

That would suck tbh
The game other company to be in charged of these games, while they work on PL: A. So they have no excuse..

But don't you realize that's exactly the excuse? GF: 'Yeah, if we were handling it, it would've had more features like HgSs/OrAs - but we were busy making this great (not so much) open world game! Sadly not every studio can make remakes like we do! *winkwink*"..

treatyofversigh

I’ve never been a fan of mythicals not being catchable in game, so I’m really hoping for some sort of event for Sinnoh’s mythicals (even just one of them!). It seems really weird and a little lazy to not let us catch them or anything? I remember the Darkrai and Cresselia events in DPP and the Victini event in BW, and I really hope something like those happens again. Story beats, like Locormus said. It just doesn’t feel as rewarding to just be handed a Zoroara or Melmetal, for example. I always end up feeling less attached to them when I can’t catch them myself.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I’m willing to have Mythicals catchable in the wild. AS LONGGGGG….. as what’s needed isn’t a hassle and stupid like the event duration gibberish from the old days where after an amount of time, they’re now unobtainable unless through cheats.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
^ This. It's "Catch 'em all" not "Get them as presents"
I’m okay with certain Mythicals being Mystery Gifts. Magearna makes sense as it is a man made Pokémon and thus isn’t found in the wild and Hoopa being stuck inside the Prison Bottle and being gifted to you makes sense as a bottle is easy to give to someone else. Gene sect is tricky as it was resurrected and modified by Plasma scientists but we don’t know where the Fossil used to create it came from or what it looks like without the enhancements. The Manaphy Egg follows the Prison Bottle holding Hoopa logic as Pokémon Eggs are commonly given out as gifts.