• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Looks like Candice’s skirt was lengthened a bit which is good considering her DPPt was uncomfortably too short.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like that the Manaphy egg is coming back. I do hope that Darkrai is a permanent feature since there's been no mention of that yet.

Making clothes 'pre-order DLC' and/or mystery gift is just baffling though. Why not just have those in the game to begin with?

I do too, but I wish it was an in game thing and not a pre order one like with Pokemon Ranger.

ShadowForce720

I like that the Manaphy egg is coming back. I do hope that Darkrai is a permanent feature since there's been no mention of that yet.

Making clothes 'pre-order DLC' and/or mystery gift is just baffling though. Why not just have those in the game to begin with?
I do too, but I wish it was an in game thing and not a pre order one like with Pokemon Ranger.
There seems to be a misunderstanding here it’s not a pre order bonus it is a early purchase bonus and yes there is a difference between the two.

Preorder bonuses are for the most part only available by actually preordering the game. However early purchase bonuses are available as long as you get the game early regardless if you preordered it or choose to get on or soon after it comes out within a range of its release.

So for instance when it comes to the Manaphy egg and the Platinum outfits along you get either Brilliant Diamond or Shinning Pearl before the event ends on February 21st, 2022 then you can still get both of those things.

Now the serial codes for BDSP also also work like this but with the additional requirement of getting the double pack or getting it from a specific place like the Nintendo eshop or a specific retailer/store.

Also to get the Hisuian Growlithe Kimono set and the Hisuian Zoroark baneful mask for Pokémon Legends Arceus you just have to get LA before the event ends on May 9th, 2022.

To get the 30 Heavy Balls for LA you just have to get the game from Nintendo eshop before the event ends on May 9th, 2022.

Right now the only specific bonus that requires you to preorder the game to get is the Garchomp Kimono set for LA which requires you to preorder from a specific retailer which so far the event is only listed for Japan so it might not be available outside of Japan.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I hate to say because Platinum has the best replay value in my opinion and I love Sinnoh but these games look like a hot a** mess. The chibi style is a hit or miss and while the main characters look okay, I can't get over how crazy Volkner and Cyrus look. Seeing Candice and Volkner gym's having the same design just came off as extremely lazy to me and I'm not understanding what is the point in having a 1:1 remake when we can just play it on the DS. At the very least it would of been nice having SWSH graphics or even Arceus graphics but it seems like the developers are bent on making these games the "DS version but switch". I understand that features obviously have been added but the fact they are apparently changing almost nothing about the central characters, stories or locations is saddening. This will probably be my only post bashing the games since I don't enjoy doing that and I will save my judgment for the actual games release but it's not looking good out here.

ShadowForce720

Just a quick question but when do the first datamines for this game come out.

I get that the datamine for Legends Arceus won’t be until January. However when it comes to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will the datamines start popping up as early as next week?

BCVM22

There is absolutely no definitive answer to "when do the first datamines for this game come out?" That's like asking "when is lightning going to strike again?" It's like the people who used to ask "when will CoroCoro leak?", as if it's something for which there is a schedule.

Someone can give you a partial somewhat sorta kinda educated guess based on when it has happened for prior releases, but that's about it. I wouldn't even waste time asking the question. When it happens, you'll see it.

treatyofversigh

Seeing Candice and Volkner gym's having the same design just came off as extremely lazy to me and I'm not understanding what is the point in having a 1:1 remake when we can just play it on the DS. At the very least it would of been nice having SWSH graphics or even Arceus graphics but it seems like the developers are bent on making these games the "DS version but switch".
Specifically about the DS point, DPP came out in… what, 2006? 2007? for the original DS, though all versions of the DS are pretty expensive, if you find one. The 3DS and 2DS are also pretty dang expensive currently, though it’s been a -few months since I’ve looked. There’s people who don’t have them or can’t afford them bc the prices are insane or maybe they just don’t want them, since they’re old and new games don’t come out on those platforms now. Some people probably also don’t have theirs anymore, and some people don’t want to use (or can’t use) an emulator. Or maybe it’s legitimately a ten year old kid playing it for the first time in the remakes in November and all they’ve ever had was a switch. There’s a lot of reasons someone might not just play it on the DS.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Specifically about the DS point, DPP came out in… what, 2006? 2007? for the original DS, though all versions of the DS are pretty expensive, if you find one. The 3DS and 2DS are also pretty dang expensive currently, though it’s been a -few months since I’ve looked. There’s people who don’t have them or can’t afford them bc the prices are insane or maybe they just don’t want them, since they’re old and new games don’t come out on those platforms now. Some people probably also don’t have theirs anymore, and some people don’t want to use (or can’t use) an emulator. Or maybe it’s legitimately a ten year old kid playing it for the first time in the remakes in November and all they’ve ever had was a switch. There’s a lot of reasons someone might not just play it on the DS.
These are all fine reasons but they aren't everyones reasons. A Nintendo DS is about 200 dollars ( basically 200 dollars cheaper than the switch) and you can find copies of DPPt for about 33 dollars on Amazon. Obviously everyone's financial reasons are different but those are the prices. Secondly using an emulator is a person choice as you said but again that's preferences and there are always contrarians to different circumstances. My point is besides running on a new system (the switch) what is enticing about these games? The HM features are nice and so are the clothes and skin tones but what about the main story and the characters. Are they carbon copies? If so why not just go the cheaper route and play the older games. Every single remake prior has had story difference. I guess we'll see if this game did too but it's not looking like it. And my question was somewhat rhetorical, I don't really care why anybody would prefer the DS or the Switch games but instead making a hyperbole on why are these games 1:1 remakes. Heck I'm buying them just because of nostalgia only and not because I'm particularly interested in anything shown so far. I haven't been less hyped for a Pokemon game since Let's Go.

BCVM22

If someone is embedded immovably in the mindset that these games will do nothing for them because "well I can just go get a DS and a used copy of the game for $250 on Amazon" (which... yeah, good luck with that), then it's possible that these games might not have been for them from the get-go. And that's fine, everyone has to do what's right for them, but that's also not the fault of these games.

Sham

The Guardian of War
If someone is embedded immovably in the mindset that these games will do nothing for them because "well I can just go get a DS and a used copy of the game for $250 on Amazon" (which... yeah, good luck with that), then it's possible that these games might not have been for them from the get-go. And that's fine, everyone has to do what's right for them, but that's also not the fault of these games.
Again the question was rhetorical. I'm obviously not going to buy a DS just to play the games or did you not read the post and just speeded to a response? I never said I was going to buy the DS nor did I encourage it. I was responding to the person discussing prices of it. And please don't say what is right for me and what isn't because it's quite frankly my money. I'm saying that I'm not sure how I feel about the games from what we've seen. Instead of being so quick to defend games that aren't even released yet maybe you should read and understand the overall conversation being had.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Again the question was rhetorical. I'm obviously not going to buy a DS just to play the games or did you not read the post and just speeded to a response? I never said I was going to buy the DS nor did I encourage it. I was responding to the person discussing prices of it. And please don't say what is right for me and what isn't because it's quite frankly my money. I'm saying that I'm not sure how I feel about the games from what we've seen. Instead of being so quick to defend games that aren't even released yet maybe you should read and understand the overall conversation being had.
I agree.
You should be able to express your opinions here =]
And I fully agree with u btw.
Its almost 1:1 like the originals, they didnt even bother to add new outfits to the characters.
What I love about remakes is to play a game u already played but with new twists....
I loved that ORAS added new clothes to characters, added ME, NEW CHARACTERS (like Zinia....)
Cant compare these "remakes" to ORAS and HGSS cuz its just the originals in new graphics

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Since it's a "faithful" recreation of D/P and not Platinum, I'd say this is the Gym order:

Roark
Gardenia
Maylene
Crasher Wake
Fantina
Byron
Candice
Volkner
In DP there is only one order and we are not able to choose which ones to do ?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Since it's a "faithful" recreation of D/P and not Platinum, I'd say this is the Gym order:

Roark
Gardenia
Maylene
Crasher Wake
Fantina
Byron
Candice
Volkner
Technically Wake & Maylene are interchangeable, more-so in the original games due to Fantina's placing as the fifth gym leader. Their pokemon's levels are roughly around the same so you have some freedom over which one you want to battle first. It's all a matter of which features you want to access first like the style shop. the breeding center, the trophy garden, or the great marsh.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
you can find copies of DPPt for about 33 dollars on Amazon.
Then there’s a 95% chance those are counterfeits. I did some searching a few days ago, since I would like a copy of Platinum. All the DS Pokémon games are at least $100 for a legit copy. With the case and everything to guarantee authenticity, that’ll set you back $150 per game.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
BDSP are definitely using the Platinum Dex as you can briefly see Gallade next to Lucario in the one trailer. It happens rather quickly but Gallade is seen battling Galatic Grunts on Iron Island and this isn’t post game as the trailers haven’t shown anything from the post game aside from possibly the Pokémon Hideaways. Gallade wasn’t in the original Sinnoh Dex despite debuting in DP and wasn’t available until the post game. Most players do the Iron Island side quest during the main game since you get an Egg with Riolu in it and almost everyone wants Lucario before the E4.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
BDSP are definitely using the Platinum Dex as you can briefly see Gallade next to Lucario in the one trailer. It happens rather quickly but Gallade is seen battling Galatic Grunts on Iron Island and this isn’t post game as the trailers haven’t shown anything from the post game aside from possibly the Pokémon Hideaways. Gallade wasn’t in the original Sinnoh Dex despite debuting in DP and wasn’t available until the post game. Most players do the Iron Island side quest during the main game since you get an Egg with Riolu in it and almost everyone wants Lucario before the E4.
My guess is that they're going to use DP encounters though while the Platinum Dex additions will only be available in the Underground Hideaways

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The fact that they have the Platinum Dex but are seemingly using DP teams is so frustrating lol.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Seeing Candice and Volkner gym's having the same design just came off as extremely lazy to me
Why? Is there a need to change the gym puzzle?

I'm not understanding what is the point in having a 1:1 remake when we can just play it on the DS.
Do we know for sure that its a 1:1 remake? They’ve showed new things like the Pokemon dens in the underground, character customization and Quality of Life improvements from newer games, but outside of that, the marketing has been pretty deliberately vague.

This is a 15 year old game, so just saying that “people can play it on the DS“ is a bit dishonest because you can’t really get the hardware or the carts easily or affordably now.
but the fact they are apparently changing almost nothing about the central characters, stories or locations is saddening.
What should they be changing? And why?
A Nintendo DS is about 200 dollars ( basically 200 dollars cheaper than the switch)
I can buy a new Switch Lite for $199USD. A new New 2DS XL is about $250 USD. It might be possible to get a used one for cheaper, but if my local used gaming store is anything to go by, they sell quickly when they get one in a trade.

My point is besides running on a new system (the switch) what is enticing about these games? The HM features are nice and so are the clothes and skin tones
You just listed two. There is also the future connectivity with Home, QoL updates being ported in from the newer generations, and character customization. There is probably more, and I’m assuming there is some sort of tie-in with PLA that we won’t find out about until after BDSP releases.

what about the main story and the characters. Are they carbon copies?
Do they need to change? If so, how should the change or what should be added to the story? As for the characters, we already know that you can customize them. What other changes would you want to see?

I haven't been less hyped for a Pokemon game since Let's Go.
To be fair, the Let’s Go games aren‘t targeted at experienced Pokemon players. They’re meant to introduce Pokemon Go players to the console experience.