• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
What should they be changing? And why?
While I agree with you, I feel like they're comparing BDSP to HGSS and ORAS, where they made changes to the story and all of the characters got modern new designs to fit the modern generation. I'm more excited for BDSP & I know sticking with the old designs is part of the whole "faithful remake" aspect, but it does still bug me that we're not getting any new designs for the characters like we've seen in past remakes (or even like the good redesigns on Twitter & Deviantart)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
There seems to be a misunderstanding here it’s not a pre order bonus it is a early purchase bonus and yes there is a difference between the two.

Preorder bonuses are for the most part only available by actually preordering the game. However early purchase bonuses are available as long as you get the game early regardless if you preordered it or choose to get on or soon after it comes out within a range of its release.

So for instance when it comes to the Manaphy egg and the Platinum outfits along you get either Brilliant Diamond or Shinning Pearl before the event ends on February 21st, 2022 then you can still get both of those things.

Now the serial codes for BDSP also also work like this but with the additional requirement of getting the double pack or getting it from a specific place like the Nintendo eshop or a specific retailer/store.

Also to get the Hisuian Growlithe Kimono set and the Hisuian Zoroark baneful mask for Pokémon Legends Arceus you just have to get LA before the event ends on May 9th, 2022.

To get the 30 Heavy Balls for LA you just have to get the game from Nintendo eshop before the event ends on May 9th, 2022.

Right now the only specific bonus that requires you to preorder the game to get is the Garchomp Kimono set for LA which requires you to preorder from a specific retailer which so far the event is only listed for Japan so it might not be available outside of Japan.

Ah. Still not a fan of it. Since not everyone can get the game early to take advantage of it.

Then there’s a 95% chance those are counterfeits. I did some searching a few days ago, since I would like a copy of Platinum. All the DS Pokémon games are at least $100 for a legit copy. With the case and everything to guarantee authenticity, that’ll set you back $150 per game.

Exactly. I lucked out with getting a copy of Platinum for $44 (minus tax). Made sure to double check to make sure it was legit too. Went through Gamestop. That being said, the salesperson tried to sell me a liquid damaged one. -_- I told them no and asked them if I could check out the one behind it, which ended up being the one that I bought.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
While I agree with you, I feel like they're comparing BDSP to HGSS and ORAS, where they made changes to the story and all of the characters got modern new designs to fit the modern generation. I'm more excited for BDSP & I know sticking with the old designs is part of the whole "faithful remake" aspect, but it does still bug me that we're not getting any new designs for the characters like we've seen in past remakes (or even like the good redesigns on Twitter & Deviantart)
I figured they were making comparisons to past remakes. But I also feel like the comment came off as “change for change’s sake,” and I’m curious to see what they feel needs to be changed. I know the previous remakes changed a lot of things compared to the original games. FRLG and HGSS were fixing a lot of things that were broken in Gen1 and Gen2. I never played Ruby or Sapphire, so I can’t compare those games to ORAS.

I agree that character design updates would be nice (especially for the PC), they’re also allowing character customization so you can update their look to suit your tastes. Personally, I prefer that tradeoff because I can make the characters my own.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I figured they were making comparisons to past remakes. But I also feel like the comment came off as “change for change’s sake,” and I’m curious to see what they feel needs to be changed. I know the previous remakes changed a lot of things compared to the original games. FRLG and HGSS were fixing a lot of things that were broken in Gen1 and Gen2. I never played Ruby or Sapphire, so I can’t compare those games to ORAS.

I agree that character design updates would be nice (especially for the PC), they’re also allowing character customization so you can update their look to suit your tastes. Personally, I prefer that tradeoff because I can make the characters my own.

Actually he pretty much said everything I was already saying. I’m not sure why you think it came off as “changes for change sake” when I said nothing of the sort

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I've always sped through the game and never actually took the time to explore things, so I'm definitely gonna try to take it slow with the remakes.

I wanna explore each and every town fully before I move on to the next one, and - as I've stated before - I am NOT completing the gyms without a Spiritomb. Also, I definitely want to explore the Battle Zone fully this time around too. Despite being completely captivated by it (I honestly consider it the best postgame of any Pokémon title sans Gold & Silver), I kinda rushed through that too. Hopefully the villa returns in this game and I can decorate it and stuff. That'll be neat.

Honestly, I think I'm gonna end up spending most of my time in the Grand Underground, exploring every inch of the routes. I'm fairly positive mining for statues is gonna be a pain in the a**, but it'll be worth it in the end.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Exactly. I lucked out with getting a copy of Platinum for $44 (minus tax). Made sure to double check to make sure it was legit too. Went through Gamestop. That being said, the salesperson tried to sell me a liquid damaged one. -_- I told them no and asked them if I could check out the one behind it, which ended up being the one that I bought.
I’d kill to be able to even find a copy of any of the old Pokemon DS games for cheaper price than the overblown current prices of 72$ USD+

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I've always sped through the game and never actually took the time to explore things, so I'm definitely gonna try to take it slow with the remakes.

I wanna explore each and every town fully before I move on to the next one, and - as I've stated before - I am NOT completing the gyms without a Spiritomb. Also, I definitely want to explore the Battle Zone fully this time around too. Despite being completely captivated by it (I honestly consider it the best postgame of any Pokémon title sans Gold & Silver), I kinda rushed through that too. Hopefully the villa returns in this game and I can decorate it and stuff. That'll be neat.

Honestly, I think I'm gonna end up spending most of my time in the Grand Underground, exploring every inch of the routes. I'm fairly positive mining for statues is gonna be a pain in the a**, but it'll be worth it in the end.
That’s pretty much how I want to handle my playthrough since I want to fully immerse myself into Sinnoh and make t game more about the journey than the destination. Plus, now that I know about Sinnoh’s massive backtracking flaw, I want to use it to my advantage by filling traversing the areas. Plus, it’s a good way to stall for time until Home connectivity or possible DLCs come out

I still want to go to Veilstone City first to access the style shop ASAP, but afterwards I may take the long way to Pastoria City or maybe travel to Celestic Town & Eterna City first before I do my fifth gym battle. Since Sinnoh was originally meant to be the ultimate pokémon game, I want BDSP & Legends to both feel like one consecutive story, connecting Sinnoh’s past with its present, and be the ultimate adventure (at least until Gen 9 comes out)

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Just a quick question but when do the first datamines for this game come out.

I get that the datamine for Legends Arceus won’t be until January. However when it comes to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will the datamines start popping up as early as next week?
As soon as someone who can extract the data out of the cartridges get his/her hands on the game. Next week, maybe but I would say ten days.
DSP are definitely using the Platinum Dex as you can briefly see Gallade next to Lucario in the one trailer.
They also gave Pokemon like Magmortar and Gliscor new "artworks". Doubt them to be not in the main dex. The DP dex without having all Sinnoh Pokemon in it was bs from the start and they know it.

In terms of the gym leader and e4 teams, I think they'll change the unfitting types with Pokemon that were added in Platinum but keep their aces the same as in DP. Meaning Ambipom and Octillery from Volkners team will get replaced with Jolteon and Electrivire but Luxray is his highest leveled Pokemon, Medicham from Candice is now a Froslass but Abomasnow is her ace etc. LGPE already did this by revamping the gym leader rooster drastically to have better fitting Pokemon in them so I expect the same.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I’d kill to be able to even find a copy of any of the old Pokemon DS games for cheaper price than the overblown current prices of 72$ USD+

Yea prices have gotten out of control lately. Glad I was able to get in while the prices were still sane.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
That’s pretty much how I want to handle my playthrough since I want to fully immerse myself into Sinnoh and make t game more about the journey than the destination. Plus, now that I know about Sinnoh’s massive backtracking flaw, I want to use it to my advantage by filling traversing the areas. Plus, it’s a good way to stall for time until Home connectivity or possible DLCs come out

I still want to go to Veilstone City first to access the style shop ASAP, but afterwards I may take the long way to Pastoria City or maybe travel to Celestic Town & Eterna City first before I do my fifth gym battle. Since Sinnoh was originally meant to be the ultimate pokémon game, I want BDSP & Legends to both feel like one consecutive story and be the ultimate adventure until Gen 9 comes out

I'm hoping the Diamond & Pearl gym route is being used so we can reach Veilstone sooner. I also don't want to wait very long to get new outfits. However, I think it's possible the types of outfits available will update as we play the game.

Yea prices have gotten out of control lately. Glad I was able to get in while the prices were still sane.

I honestly can't say I blame them. The titles are quite valuable.

I can't think of a generation more loved than Gen 4, especially with HGSS. I've seen copies of Heart Gold on display at GameStop for $55-$65, and it was the only upcharge I wasn't bothered with. Though I didn't care for the game myself, I understood why the price was warranted. People would pay that much. lol

PsychoLogical

Kinda hoping the release of BDSP might bring down the prices of the originals and Platinum so I can snag a legitimate copy (especially Platinum) for collection lmao :p

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm hoping the Diamond & Pearl gym route is being used so we can reach Veilstone sooner. I also don't want to wait very long to get new outfits. However, I think it's possible the types of outfits available will update as we play the game.

I honestly can't say I blame them. The titles are quite valuable.

I can't think of a generation more loved than Gen 4, especially with HGSS. I've seen copies of Heart Gold on display at GameStop for $55-$65, and it was the only upcharge I wasn't bothered with. Though I didn't care for the game myself, I understood why the price was warranted. People would pay that much. lol

To a point. There is such a thing as being too expensive.

Yep. But I'm glad I didn't. Got Heart Gold on a downswing.

Kinda hoping the release of BDSP might bring down the prices of the originals and Platinum so I can snag a legitimate copy (especially Platinum) for collection lmao

Here's to hoping it does!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Kinda hoping the release of BDSP might bring down the prices of the originals and Platinum so I can snag a legitimate copy (especially Platinum) for collection lmao :p
Honestly, I think BDSP may make the prices go higher since all of the complaints and criticism it’s been getting since day one is causing more people to seek out the originals for a “better” experience.

Even if the games are good and get positive reviews, the stigma will most likely last until the next generation rolls around and people start complaining about that. The same thing happened with SWSH due to all of its controversies, which is partly why the demand and prices for the DS games are so high now

PsychoLogical

Honestly, I think BDSP may make the prices go higher since all of the complaints and criticism it’s been getting since day one is causing more people to seek out the originals for a “better” experience.

Even if the games are good and get positive reviews, the stigma will most likely last until the next generation rolls around and people start complaining about that. The same thing happened with SWSH due to all of its controversies, which is partly why the demand and prices for the DS games are so high now
The ironic thing about that scenario is that the original DP games aren’t even essentially/exactly fking good lmao.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Actually he pretty much said everything I was already saying. I’m not sure why you think it came off as “changes for change sake” when I said nothing of the sort
My apologies, then. I must have misread your intent. The way it was worded made it come across as change for change’s sake.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
To a point. There is such a thing as being too expensive.

Yep. But I'm glad I didn't. Got Heart Gold on a downswing.

Nah, 'expensive' is relative to available funds and personal value. At least where non-necessities are concerned.

For games like Pokémon, the value can be incredibly high. Fans tend to make sentimental connections to the gens they either start with or return to. Trust me, there are fans out there who would pay $100 for a copy of Pokémon X. To you and I, it might sound like an insane thing to do, but to them? It's well worth it.

Same thing applies to any video game, really.