• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Baggie_Saiyan

I don't have an issue with a faithful remake, ORAS the mega stuff ruined it for me so glad Dynamax etc isn't gonna ruin these, I am still gonna get it, gonna play it, probably enjoy it.

I think people take Pokemon way too seriously like a majority of us aren't even the target audience, it is like watching a tv show intended for younger audience and then complaining it's not Breaking Bad standard. The graphic complaint gets me, Pokemon has never been graphically superior in any generation I am sure people that got into Pokemon in the first place didn't solely cuz of the graphics. The difficulty complaint too, like there is a tonne of things one can do in game to raise difficulty (mono type run, no heal run, level cap if Mon goes over you box it etc etc) so that is another silly complaint.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
At this point i really can't see a single pro of playing this game over Platinum other than being able to walk with your pokémon.
Well…it is cheaper and will be more readily available. So there is that. :)

But yeah, from a content perspective, Platinum seems superior so far.

Not only that there are legit graphical and technical errors shown in these videos?
This is what you see when you use a leaked game. The game likely hit RTM and had to be sent to the factory to be loaded onto the carts weeks ago with the intention that they would be fixed with a release day patch. The leakers are essentially playing a beta game. Will all of these be fixed right away? I’d hope so.

So we shouldn’t hold that against the game because this isn’t the intended experience.
While it's possible that there will be some issues fixed, I would recommend against relying on the patch as an all encompassing fix to every problem that people are bringing up. A day 1 patch is probably not going to fix things like team rosters as those would've been designed for the game early on and (especially in the case of the Gym Leader Team rosters) have already been marketed as they've been seen in the leaks (ex. Volkner's ace being Luxray). Don't expect too much out of the patch, just follow along with what we see and plan according to that information.
Good point. It wasn’t my intention to oversell what a release day/Day 1 patch would include.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I think BDSP was mostly an attempt to bring DP to a newer console generation. The DS is almost 20 years old at this point.

Listening to the opinions from the lowest common denominator isn't just not fun to listen to, it's also unneeded.
You're better off listening to people who can actually give out better criticism.
Now, Masuda has said he has tried to take in criticism.
I'm not saying he's perfect at that, but that's what he said, and I don't doubt that he tries to listen to valid criticism.
---
Also, "lazy devs "was one example that I didn't necessarily attribute to anyone here.
Though I would be lying if I said there was never any toxicity on the forums during the Sword/Shield prerelease time.
Okay if it's not fun then press the ignore button and move on. I'm not sure what else you want us saying. If you think this is bad criticism and unfun and unneeded you now what to do. Masuda can say whatever he wants. What's being produced? People have been complaining about a baked in exp since Let's Go.

Ultra Beast Lover

You know, I'm starting to think that Gamefreak can kind of start to phase out remakes. Sure, they can do re-releases on new systems and XY needs a remake but we're getting to the point where, aside from technical stuff and QOL improvements, there won't be much to add. Idk, not really sure how to explain it in a way that makes sense.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
You know, I'm starting to think that Gamefreak can kind of start to phase out remakes. Sure, they can do re-releases on new systems and XY needs a remake but we're getting to the point where, aside from technical stuff and QOL improvements, there won't be much to add. Idk, not really sure how to explain it in a way that makes sense.
That's how GF and Nintendo in general can earn even more revenue. Remakes are essentially just for revenue purposes as the originals are no longer sold and they dont do re-releases except the two times they even bothered which were Gens 1 and 2.

Sham

This is what you see when you use a leaked game. The game likely hit RTM and had to be sent to the factory to be loaded onto the carts weeks ago with the intention that they would be fixed with a release day patch. The leakers are essentially playing a beta game. Will all of these be fixed right away? I’d hope so.
So you're essentially saying they handed in an unfinished paper before 12:00 am? I guess. You are right these can be fixed on the day of release and hopefully you are correct.

masdog

Nintendo is really missing out by not putting a GBA and DS emulator on the Switch and then releasing slightly updated Switch virtual console editions of Gens 1-4 with support for Home.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The flip side is that bad-faith criticism can damage your mental psyche.
I guess it's somewhat of a paradox. You try to not take it seriously, but still it affects you.
There's a difference between a logical connection and an emotional one.

I'll end of by saying that maybe some of the complaints about the technical side of BDSP are valid.
I don't know, I haven't really seen much of the footage myself.
My argument was never about not being allowed to voice negative opinions. I just don't think people should be too nasty about them.

Xuxuba

Well…it is cheaper and will be more readily available. So there is that. :)
Dunno. Thankfully, i already have my own lol.

Ds games are usually cheap here and pokémon games aren't that hard to find. Except hgss. That one is crazy expensive, especially if it still has the pokéwalker.

I have seen some Platinum copies go for about 1~1.5/3 of a full priced switch game. Tho, there are a lot of them without their boxes. No idea how they manage to lose it and not the actual cartwridge which is much smaller lol

Last edited:

masdog

So you're essentially saying they handed in an unfinished paper before 12:00 am? I guess. You are right these can be fixed on the day of release and hopefully you are correct.
Yes and no. Complex software projects, like a video game, are never truly done. There are always bugs and exploits to fix, things to add, etc.

There are different deadlines for different distribution types. There are lead times when it comes to producing physical goods. It has to go to the factory to be loaded onto the cartridges, and then it has to reach the retail distribution channels (which typically means sitting on a boat for a few weeks, and right now, usually means sitting on a boat off the coast of LA for a few more weeks waiting to be unloaded…and then being transported to retailer warehouses and then to the stores).

So in that sense, they sent off an incomplete paper because logistics demanded it. Supply chain issues due to COVID likely made that cutoff earlier than normal, which is why we probably see more bugs in these leaks.

This isn’t an issue with digital distribution. They have more time to work on completing the game and fixing issues because they only need to upload the content to the Nintendo E-Shop and seed it on whatever content distribution network they use to absorb the load/provide faster downloads. That same distribution network also allows them to distribute an update pack with fixes that they couldn’t get into the code before it was sent off to the factory.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I am sorry but not sorry. The underground really dont sound intersting to me. Ok the new areas are nice but for what? Catching old Pokemon from gen 1 to 4 we saw 10000 times? If it had newer gen Pokemon in post game for example, then it would have been more interesting.

Sham

Yes and no. Complex software projects, like a video game, are never truly done. There are always bugs and exploits to fix, things to add, etc.

There are different deadlines for different distribution types. There are lead times when it comes to producing physical goods. It has to go to the factory to be loaded onto the cartridges, and then it has to reach the retail distribution channels (which typically means sitting on a boat for a few weeks, and right now, usually means sitting on a boat off the coast of LA for a few more weeks waiting to be unloaded…and then being transported to retailer warehouses and then to the stores).

So in that sense, they sent off an incomplete paper because logistics demanded it. Supply chain issues due to COVID likely made that cutoff earlier than normal, which is why we probably see more bugs in these leaks.

This isn’t an issue with digital distribution. They have more time to work on completing the game and fixing issues because they only need to upload the content to the Nintendo E-Shop and seed it on whatever content distribution network they use to absorb the load/provide faster downloads. That same distribution network also allows them to distribute an update pack with fixes that they couldn’t get into the code before it was sent off to the factory.
But this most be a recent thing. Assuming most games do this than it's undoubtedly a recent thing and the original games most likely didn't need a patch upon release since it needed to be complete upon arrival. That being said why not stop the games instead of rushing for a Holiday release? Again all of this is fine if you are correct that these will be fixed.

Xuxuba

I am sorry but not sorry. The underground really dont sound intersting to me. Ok the new areas are nice but for what? Catching old Pokemon from gen 1 to 4 we saw 10000 times? If it had newer gen Pokemon in post game for example, then it would have been more interesting.
Yeah. Also, not being able to actually decorate the secret bases besides placing the statues makes it a lot less interesting at least for me.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Yeah. Also, not being able to actually decorate the secret bases besides placing the statues makes it a lot less interesting at least for me.
One of the things I liked about ORAS is there in post game there would be secret areas where u could catch new Pokemon from gen 4 to 6.
Ah, no wonder ORAS r my fav Pokemon games hehe

The scaling of the walking pokemon is RIDICULOUS. I saw a walking Dialga and it was so tiny lol. Even Let's Go games manage to handle this, so why cant these games?

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Am I the only one here who finds it intriguing that the leaker stopped just before beginning the post-game? I think there's something there that they're hiding from us because it's pretty big.