• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

wildcaml

re: member
i usually say that platinum is my favorite pokemon game, so i’ve been cautiously excited for the remakes. i’ll admit, i don’t love the look, and i’ll always miss the little sprites. also, it bothers me that the remakes have strayed away from reimagining the soundtracks since the brilliance of HG/SS, and just sound like the same songs with higher quality samples. sometimes it really doesn’t translate well; BD/SP battle themes sound weak. as. hell.

all that being said, since i adore the 4th generation, i’m still excited to play diamond A) not on a handheld, B) at a bit of a higher speed, and C) without wasting a slot on d e f o g xD

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Generation V remakes are going to be a difficult decision for whoever is involved. Black and White themselves were divisive and were what started the fractures in the Pokémon fanbase that would later get split wide open with Sword and Shield. In particular is the fact that only Pokémon from Generation V were usable until the postgame, which split people between those wishing for a fresh start (I am in that group) and those wanting to use their old favorites.

Whatever path they take, those same camps are still present among Pokémon fans, and whatever they do--whether it's restricting you only to Generation V Pokémon or spreading them out with Pokémon from other generations--it's going to leave peolp unhappy they didn't take the other route.
I think the real issue for Gen V remakes is the fact that unlike the other gens, Gen V has BW2 which are direct sequels to BW. Basically, how do you make a true remake of Unova if you essentially have to do something about the rest of Unova that doesn’t appear on the map until 2 years later.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Pokémon from Generation V were usable until the postgame, which split people between those wishing for a fresh start (I am in that group) and those wanting to use their old favorites
Yup, I still get flashbacks to the Gen V discourse and still see remnants of it online. Plus, similar to how the National Dex controversy led to the graphics/“ugly” tree/“Game Freak lied” argument in SWSH, the decision to only use Unova pokémon led to stuff like the Genwunner stigma and the weather wars. I still find it hilarious that Gen V is held to such high regards nowadays solely because of divisive and controversial they were back in the day.

Whatever path they take, those same camps are still present among Pokémon fans, and whatever they do--whether it's restricting you only to Generation V Pokémon or spreading them out with Pokémon from other generations--it's going to leave peolp unhappy they didn't take the other route
I think it all depends on how they’ll handle the Dream World in the BW remakes since that was the only way to get Gen 1-4 pokémon before the postgame outside of trading. They could revamp it like tbey did with Amity Square & Ramanas Park, but I’m not entirely sure how

I think the real issue for Gen V remakes is the fact that unlike the other gens, Gen V has BW2 which are direct sequels to BW. Basically, how do you make a true remake of Unova if you essentially have to do something about the rest of Unova that doesn’t appear on the map until 2 years later.
Based on what we’ve seen with ORAS & BDSP, they’d probably add some elements from BW2 as flavor & postgame content while almost entirely sticking to the original BW games

Last edited:

wildcaml

I still find it hilarious that Gen V is held to such high regards nowadays solely because of divisive and controversial they were back in the day.
this. i remember being excited, but the absence of g4 pokes and below kinda bummed me out. nowadays, especially with bw2 as an option, it doesn’t even matter; black and white are loads of fun, and g5 as a whole is so stylish and unique looking. definitely wish GF had continued to refine this style instead of going 3D

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
So I am playing these games, and it is so nice :)
Feel like playing the original DP and thats nice
Am I the only one that feels like playing these games in handhold mode is more comfortable than on TV?

wildcaml

So I am playing these games, and it is so nice :)
Feel like playing the original DP and thats nice
Am I the only one that feels like playing these games in handhold mode is more comfortable than on TV?
i’m glad someone is enjoying them :) i mean, at their core they are still diamond and pearl which are enjoyable games. what region are you? i’m in the US so i still have to wait

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
So there's already walkthroughs on youtube and I'm sorry but the games look awful to me. So many instances of the characters walking, stoping, turning, walking again, and stopping just to talk to you, not to mention how awful it looks specifically with Barry since he's always running into everything. The idle walking animation is also awful which makes you have to run to not look at it, like it just feels so old.

It's weird that like everyone is on a grid but you?? Like you can run everywhere but everybody else is on the grid, just awkward AF.
You already posted this comment on the last page... You shouldn't be posting the same exact thing over and over.

If you don't like the aesthetic, you don't need to play the game then.

janejane6178

i’m glad someone is enjoying them :) i mean, at their core they are still diamond and pearl which are enjoyable games. what region are you? i’m in the US so i still have to wait
I downloaded it from Australia E-shop to play it early.
I just treat these games as playing DP on the Switch with updated graphics. I dont treat it as games such as ORAS which felt new and innovative. So I still enjoy it for what it is =]

I'm glad you're enjoying them! I love playing in hand-held mode since it's easier for me!
The first time I played Swsh it was on TV, but for BSDP it feels more natural for me to play it on handheld mode, because of its chibi style hehe

janejane6178

I deleted the other one cuz it was one of those annoying ones where the next post starts a new page so the bottom posts tend to be ignored.

I'm not playing it, I am just giving my opinion based on what I've seen so far.
What did u think of the original DP?

wildcaml

I downloaded it from Australia E-shop to play it early.
I just treat these games as playing DP on the Switch with updated graphics. I dont treat it as games such as ORAS which felt new and innovative. So I still enjoy it for what it is =]
for sure! i don’t think i would call ORAS new and innovative, but to each their own. i’m personally hoping BDSP stick as close to the originals as possible because modern pokemon changes make me sad xD

janejane6178

for sure! i don’t think i would call ORAS new and innovative, but to each their own. i’m personally hoping BDSP stick as close to the originals as possible because modern pokemon changes make me sad xD
You will probably like them then.
Will u play it?

wildcaml

You will probably like them then.
Will u play it?
heck yeah! on the big screen so the wife can finally see the game i continually tout as my favorite, as far as pokemon goes anyway lol

I liked it for what it was but it had lots of issues and they kept most of them in this remake.

I would have much preferred a more modern take on DP then what we are getting. It doesn't even have to be like modern graphics, I would have been happy with Let's go or Sun and Moon graphics over what we got tbh lol.
imagine D/P with octopath traveler style in the overworld, and cleaned up B/W style in battle :eek: i would give GF my credit card for that

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Just want to mention, compared to the slowness of the original Gen 4 games....with exp share on from the start you don't get the agony of switch training every individuals like the older games.
And if you’re committed, spending hours trying to find Chanseys (if you’re able to) with a Lucky Egg to make training even easier. Basically me here. Spent hours in Platinum trying to find Chanseys for Lucky Eggs. Managed to snag two.

wildcaml

Just want to mention, compared to the slowness of the original Gen 4 games....with exp share on from the start you don't get the agony of switch training every individuals like the older games.
i take it the exp share is not permanently activated like it was in sw/sh? because that would be pretty sick to be able to speed up slow parts without completely obliterating the challenge

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
i take it the exp share is not permanently activated like it was in sw/sh? because that would be pretty sick to be able to speed up slow parts without completely obliterating the challenge
It is permanently applied. Dunno why. I don’t mind that, but I get that plenty of people do.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Technically off topic, but I had to memorialize this moment. this morning, seeing the BDSP discovery news on SPP, made me flash back to the very first discovery news when the original Diamond and Pearl came out, when Serebii posted "the red Gyarados makes a return!!" It's crazy that I've been a Pokemon and Serebii.net fan for that long!