• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Anybody else shining and buffing their Gym Badges? It's...pointless and inane, I know, but I suppose I just like shiny stuff.
I do. If you make them shiny, the Badges can play the Poké Walker Menu music perfectly.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Around here delivery services don't just leave packages on porches, so i never had this problem, but I've heard quite a lot of it from friends in the US and I always wonder...

Is there no possibility in the US to have the package delivered to a postal package pick-up station. We have these around here; they are rooms or small buildings with lockers.
When your package arrives there you get an Email with a barcode. Then you go to the pick-up station and unlock the door with your ATM card then you go to a digital scanner and scan the barcode from the email, then you have to sign on a touch screen and the locker with your package opens. I prefer that to any other option.
That's why i bought both my Switch Lite + Pokemon Sword in the store when i bought them. Same for Pokemon Brilliant Diamond recently and i was with a friend at the time while the game was just released. Thieves think twice stealing from a friend group when one of them is 1.90cm in height. He's normally easy going. But he can be intimidating when he wants to.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I’m loving the game so far but why in the hell are the catch rates for ‘mons found in the Grand Underground so low? It took me 40 or so Ultra Balls to catch a paralyzed Aipom that was in low health. That’s ridiculous.
Your odds of catching a Pokémon are way lower if the wild Pokémon is at a higher level than the Pokémon you have out at the moment. Until you reach the endgame, the Grand Underground Pokémon are very likely to be a few to roughly a dozen levels higher than your highest-leveled Pokémon, and so they break out of the Poké Balls pretty easily.

Anybody else shining and buffing their Gym Badges? It's...pointless and inane, I know, but I suppose I just like shiny stuff.
Have you put your fingerprints on the statue behind Mr. Backlot?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yep, I remember reading about this back in the original Sinnoh games. This is, in fact, why every land route in Sinnoh has at least one 7x7 patch of tall grass. It's not to annoy you; it's to give you an easy Poké Radar location.

A bit of further advice if you want to chain: using the Poké Radar in the midst of a chain will not break it. Instead, it resets the possible locations. Hence, the best way to have a longer chain is NOT to be in the middle of that 7x7 patch of grass, but off to one corner without being at an edge or corner tile. This is to ensure you always have at least one rustling tile (the Poké Radar CAN choose tiles not part of the tall grass, and if all four are outside it, the chain automatically ends) and the highest chance that the one at Ring #4 is also surrounded by tall grass, allowing the chain to continue. If no tiles shake at Ring #4, reset the Poké Radar and keep doing so until it happens. I used this technique to get two shiny Nosepass in one go back in the original Diamond game--the longer the chain, the higher the odds of a Shiny Pokémon, topping out at a chain length of 40 when your odds were 1 in 200 (meaning roughly 1 in 50 for each Poké Radar reset).

If you use the Poké Radar at the location that player character is standing, the shaking grass at Ring #4 will be a corner or edge tile, resulting in a high chance the next one will all be outside of that patch of grass and thus ending the chain.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Done with the game plus post game. Some things I want to note:

Starting on a positive note: Soundtrack is 10/10 for me. They don't remix the tracks in a unique way like in HG/SS or OR/AS, but sometimes it's better to not go total nuts with the music. The previous remakes, especially HG/SS had remixes which changed the instruments so much the actually ruin them (Slowpoke Well as an example). I am glad they actually kept it simple and and finetune the tracks a bit (Route 209 Night to name just one track with an amazing remix...and the E4 theme is even better than the original DP gym + E4 track)

Grand Underground also rocks, but a big thumbs down for no actual secret base decoration and flag minigame. Don't really care the traps that much I miss those two features. The hideaways are neat, but not that interesting.

Dex sucks. Not as much as DP and you can get quite a handful of Plat pokemon in the underground, but I miss them in trainer battles and in the wild. Gym battles are especially bad for them sticking to their DP teams. Whoever thought it was a good idea needs to be fired. The post game teams are great though.

Difficulty is AWEFUL! I probably have to thank Masuda for that big brown piece of sh** on the top of my sundae. Battling every trainer, raising a new Pokemon to team level and some wild pokemon kills made my team a whopping 7-9 above gym leaders ace. It especially became bad after Maylene, since Wake still has the same level as her. Even my nephew who avoids the skipable trainer manages to be five levels above Wake´s Floatzel. It's a HUGE problem since it actually feels like playing GSC in the Kanto part of the game with just mashing A until the battle ends. Can I remind you that you still have more than half of the game to play after Maylene's gym? This needs an update with a toggle. Literally unplayable on a mental level for me.

Also wtf were the contest? Also a big no in my book.

Post-game is pretty neat. Yeah it's Sinnoh so that was expectable but having an additional chunk of the underground, rematches, ramanass park (don't get me started with that name) and some smaller things on top of the old stuff is pretty decent. Don't care for the BF, it was extremly forgettable though I miss the Mansion.

Actually being more exited for the game being Unity made. The potential in rom hacks with an extremly easy to understand engine is endless.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
proof that Arceus theme exist. If it part of the OST it can mean yes well will get Arceus in the future but who knows when
Either a Arceus event, FREE dlc or a Mystery Gift (Hopefully not like the flop with Zarude and the News Letter)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
proof that Arceus theme exist. If it part of the OST it can mean yes well will get Arceus in the future but who knows when
I’m personally that the Azure Flute will be a gift for having saved data for Legends Arceus

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Speaking of soundtrack, the official Pokemon YouTube page have uploaded the original soundtrack for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (not BDSP), which is a first to their channel.

They have this site linked on the description, but it's Japan-only:

I assume they will post more of the OST from other games there. USUM, SWSH and BDSP so far has no official soundtracks.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Speaking of soundtrack, the official Pokemon YouTube page have uploaded the original soundtrack for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (not BDSP), which is a first to their channel.

They have this site linked on the description, but it's not working as of this post:

I assume they will post more of the OST from other games there. USUM, SWSH and BDSP so far has no official soundtracks.

That's surprising. It's way too easy to use less than legitimate means to download Youtube videos, so I'm not sure that's smart on their part unless they don't care if anyone gets their hands on the soundtrack (which knowing how protective Nintendo is of their IPs, I don't think they do). Usually if they want to distribute the soundtrack publicly they sell it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That's surprising. It's way too easy to use less than legitimate means to download Youtube videos, so I'm not sure that's smart on their part unless they don't care if anyone gets their hands on the soundtrack (which knowing how protective Nintendo is of their IPs, I don't think they do). Usually if they want to distribute the soundtrack publicly they sell it.

Yea it is. Was listening to it tonight.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Personally, since I don't [want to] use iTunes/Spotify and I don't want to purchase the physical CD overseas, I'm actually glad it's made more accessible.

Besides, I'm sure this is monetized. When I work, I usually listen to game OSTs uploaded by people on YouTube for easy listening. Surely many people wouldn't bother downloading the whole thing if you can just leave a tab on your browser open and play it.

ShadowForce720

So does anyone have an idea of when we might get the Shaymin, Darkrai, or maybe even Arceus event for BDSP?

Does anyone think that we might get one of those events on Pokémon Day?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
So does anyone have an idea of when we might get the Shaymin, Darkrai, or maybe even Arceus event for BDSP?

Does anyone think that we might get one of those events on Pokémon Day?
I definitely think they’ll announce at least one on Pokémon Day along with announcing Home and full access to WiFi features for BDSP

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I definitely think they’ll announce at least one on Pokémon Day along with announcing Home and full access to WiFi features for BDSP
I'm just hoping we'll be able to transfer pokemon in both Sinnoh games. I know we'll be able to send pokemon into BDSP, but some of the code information from the datamines is giving me hope that Home connectivity will allow us to send Sinnoh pokemon into Legends