• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I'm just glad that we can bring pokemon from BDSP into Legends. I've been using doubles of my Sinnoh catches for my Legends playthrough, but once I level them up in the postgame I'll be able to use the real ones to help with battling Volo, the Kami Quartet, & Arceus
I can…I can bring mons from BDSP into Legends???

TIME TO SHINY HUNT THE MYTHICALS SO I CAN GET RID OF MY ACCURSED COPY OF BD (which i bought just to shiny hunt the mythicals)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I tried using Home on the Switch and noticed it keeps giving the message that it’s going under maintenance. So is the update currently live outside of the US and Canada or is it random right now with who can access the new features?

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Took advantage of the new connectivity update to transfer over various version exclusives and trade evolutions. It may feel like “cheating” but I definitely appreciate Legends: Arceus not making trade evolutions a hassle to get. Though has anyone tested what the “strange balls” become when you breed off Pokemon obtained in them? Guessing it is regular Poke Balls.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Home's new way of dealing with varying moveset changes between different games is one giant middle finger non VGC competitive players, to the point where I almost can't believe this is real.

F*** me for wasting all that time I guess.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I think there’s going to be another patch for Pokémon Home compatibility that allows us to bring currently unobtainable Pokémon from BDSP and PLA into Sword and Shield.
I don’t think that will happen. They have already announced Gen9, and I think that means that the Dev cycle for Sword and Shield is done.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
On Pokemon Home, you know those individual Pokedexes you have to fill?
Apparently, getting a Pokemon with the appropriate origin mark is enough.
I had Corsola on my Go Pokemon, yet I never caught a single one in that game, much less transferred it.
Instead, I got Corsola from a GTS trade, and that had a Go origin mark.

Edit: I further tested this by depositing a Squirtle that I caught from the Go Park in Let's Go Eevee.
Squirtle isn't registered in my LG Pokedex, but it is in my Go Dex.

Last edited:

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Home's new way of dealing with varying moveset changes between different games is one giant middle finger non VGC competitive players, to the point where I almost can't believe this is real.

F*** me for wasting all that time I guess.
I had intended on transferring a few from past games and take on the Battle Tower but I have ruled that out since I don’t want to lose moves. The only Pokémon from previous generations being moved is my Latias that’s been slowly collecting ribbons since the days of RSE. I’m going to try to get it at least one contest ribbon and since all of its moves are TMs in the game I’m not too worried.

masdog

If Totodile, Houndour and Phanpy are able to Dynamax, then yes, any Pokémon not found in Galar is capable of being transferred into Sword and Shield with a few exceptions. If those three examples I listed weren’t able to Dynamax, then any Pokémon not found in Gen 8 or not able to Dynamax can’t be transferred into Sword and Shield.
I…have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

Over 100 Pokémon, including the three you listed, are not physically in Sword and Shield. As in they were not programmed into the game or the two DLCs/major updates.. They cannot be imported because Home prevents you from transferring them, and it would take a game update to add them in.

If TPC/Game Freak/Nintendo wanted to add the remaining Pokémon into Sw/Sh, they would have released an update for it already.

They announced Gen9 with a late 2022 release date instead.

masdog

According to the main site, Totodile, Phanpy and Houndour can Dynamax, but whether that’s an error or not is unclear, but if it was an error, Totodile wouldn’t be listed as being able to Dynamax on the main site. Yes, I did my research and confirmed that they apparently can be transferred to Sword and Shield.
Are you sure about that? Because I just tried bringing a Houndoor and a Totodile into Sw/Sh and Home actively blocks that transfer. Home says that the Pokémon can’t be transferred into the game. If you've done it, then please share some screenshots of a Dynamaxed Totodile being used in Sword or Shield.

I think you're referring to the Serebii Online Dex for GenVIII. It says that any Pokemon in GenVIII can Dynamax, even those Pokemon that aren't found or can't be brought into Sword and Shield. That is because, AFAIK, all playable Pokemon in Sword and Shield can Dynamax or Gigantimax. You have to scroll down a little bit further to the Locations and Flavor Text sections to see that Sword, Shield, and the two DLCs are not listed in the entries for Totodile, Phanpy, or Houndoor. These Pokemon are only listed in the GenVIII Pokedex because they appear in BDSP.

Compare those Pokemon to Squirtle. Squirtle is also listed as being able to Dynamax, and if you go to its Locations and Flavor Text sections, you'll see that it shows that it can be transferred into Sword and Shield through Home and has a Pokedex entry.

masdog

Safe to say Gen 8 has ended. S/V were likely already being worked on at some point after Sw/Sh were released.
Based on what we’ve seen of S/V, they were being worked on before Sw/Sh were released.

That game engine has been in development for some time…

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Well I was looking forward to my old favourites joining me in BDSP, and PLA. This update seemed like it was taking forever and it’s finally here…….but what a mess with with moves.

I spent yesterday teaching my old Pokemon who came from the original DP games their moves like Cyndaquil with Extrasensory, Turtwig with Seed Bomb and Earth Power.
Then today I transferred my Garchomp and Swampert over and have given up seeing that they have lost moves like Earthquake and Mirror Coat and gained moves like Screech and Mud Bomb.

I don’t understand if the move is in the game, why can’t the Pokémon retain it. My Signature Minun has now lost Hidden Power Ice and Magnet Rise and can not get them back and instead has Entrainment and Spark.

Honestly this is just so frustrating, I’m glad you can give egg moves to your Pokémon still without having to create a new Pokémon by having them breed with the same species that knows the move, but now it’s a waste of time having to get that egg move onto a Pokémon of that species to then transfer that over to the original Pokémon which had that move in the last game it was used in.

Autobot N

Well I was looking forward to my old favourites joining me in BDSP, and PLA. This update seemed like it was taking forever and it’s finally here…….but what a mess with with moves.

I spent yesterday teaching my old Pokemon who came from the original DP games their moves like Cyndaquil with Extrasensory, Turtwig with Seed Bomb and Earth Power.
Then today I transferred my Garchomp and Swampert over and have given up seeing that they have lost moves like Earthquake and Mirror Coat and gained moves like Screech and Mud Bomb.

I don’t understand if the move is in the game, why can’t the Pokémon retain it. My Signature Minun has now lost Hidden Power Ice and Magnet Rise and can not get them back and instead has Entrainment and Spark.

Honestly this is just so frustrating, I’m glad you can give egg moves to your Pokémon still without having to create a new Pokémon by having them breed with the same species that knows the move, but now it’s a waste of time having to get that egg move onto a Pokémon of that species to then transfer that over to the original Pokémon which had that move in the last game it was used in.
My guess is that the system is streamlined so they don't have to check each move on each Pokemon individually, instead just replacing the entire moveset because that's probably easier to program

masdog

My guess is that the system is streamlined so they don't have to check each move on each Pokemon individually, instead just replacing the entire moveset because that's probably easier to program
But they already have code to check for invalid moves on a Pokémon. It wouldn’t be hard to extend that to cover BDSP and PLA.

Maybe they don’t want people bringing Pokémon into BDSP or PLA.

Autobot N

But they already have code to check for invalid moves on a Pokémon. It wouldn’t be hard to extend that to cover BDSP and PLA.
That only points out that the move is invalid, it doesn't replace it. As for why they didn't just do that idk.
If they really wanted that they would have just made it a one-way transfer like LGPE

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
That only points out that the move is invalid, it doesn't replace it. As for why they didn't just do that idk.

If they really wanted that they would have just made it a one-way transfer like LGPE

Whatever their reasoning is, they just turned almost everything on its head like some witch brew.

I tested a new one by transferring a freshly caught spare Gengar from Pokemon Sword. It had a few bad moves including Destiny Bond and Dream Eater (but no hypnosis included at level 60?)
He did keep all of them at first but i gave it Dark Pulse Nasty Plot Shadow Claw and lastly Dazzling Gleam (Anti Dark move)