• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Speculation/Discussion Thread!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Based on what we’ve seen of S/V, they were being worked on before Sw/Sh were released.

That game engine has been in development for some time…
I don't think so, as I believe that they were late to the Switch, and the CEO of the Pokemon Company himself Tsunekazu Ishihara outright believed that the Switch would be a failure due to the rise of the mobile gaming market.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't think so, as I believe that they were late to the Switch, and the CEO of the Pokemon Company himself Tsunekazu Ishihara outright believed that the Switch would be a failure due to the rise of the mobile gaming market.
Pokemon Sword/Shield came out during the Switch's second year.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You're right.

Correction: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee came out during the Switch's second year.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The CEO of the Pokemon Company himself Tsunekazu Ishihara outright believed that the Switch would be a failure due to the rise of the mobile gaming market.
Well he was dead-wrong, the Nintendo Switch was a big success. I does have a few hit or miss games like Balan's Wonderworld (Which had to be changed in a update since one of the most common moves used by the final boss could cause seizures.

But the Switch has several good ones including Super Mario 3D World+Bowsers Fury, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, all of the Dark Souls games and many more.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Well he was dead-wrong, the Nintendo Switch was a big success. I does have a few hit or miss games like Balan's Wonderworld (Which had to be changed in a update since one of the most common moves used by the final boss could cause seizures.

But the Switch has several good ones including Super Mario 3D World+Bowsers Fury, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, all of the Dark Souls games and many more.
To be fair, the Wii U was a colossal failure so you can’t blame the Pokémon CEO for been pessimistic based on that. Not sure if the 3DS lost some ground to the mobile market however.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I used the GWS to trade away a few Feebas rejects (none like Dry Poffins) and got a Feebas in return for one of them.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Hi. Someone told me that the more recent prints of BDSP cartridges already come *with* the 1.2 or 1.3 version updates of the game, meaning that the huge Day 1 Patch is already included on them.

Can someone confirm this? Thanks.

Last edited:

Kaede45

I feel like the devs have completely abandoned BDSP. It hasn’t received an update since March & it barely gets any news coverage! Meanwhile, SwSh still has events going at least once a month & SV have been announced! Anyone else feeling this way?

Pokemon Power

I feel like the devs have completely abandoned BDSP. It hasn’t received an update since March & it barely gets any news coverage! Meanwhile, SwSh still has events going at least once a month & SV have been announced! Anyone else feeling this way?
Part of the problem is that unfortunately, despite how well they've done, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl have been criticized for not having enough features from Platinum and later titles.

BCVM22

Well yes, but nothing you said is particularly sinister or mysterious. Sword/Shield are still the competitive standard, which is why they still have the online battle events regularly. And it was always intended to be supplanted by Legends as The Next Big Thing (TM), especially with a new generation coming immediately thereafter - it was never intended to get "updates" or "news coverage" beyond a very finite cycle.

Kaede45

Part of the problem is that unfortunately, despite how well they've done, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl have been criticized for not having enough features from Platinum and later titles.
Unfortunately, that’s a very understandable criticism. Every previous remake has always included everything from the original up to the then current generation. Their “faithful remake” remark didn’t help things either.
Well yes, but nothing you said is particularly sinister or mysterious. Sword/Shield are still the competitive standard, which is why they still have the online battle events regularly. And it was always intended to be supplanted by Legends as The Next Big Thing (TM), especially with a new generation coming immediately thereafter - it was never intended to get "updates" or "news coverage" beyond a very finite cycle.
What you’re saying really only confirms my suspicions, that the devs don’t care about what they’re releasing as long as it sells. It tells me that BDSP was nothing more than a thinly veiled cash grab. Why charge $60 for a game that pales in comparison to the remakes that came before? Why release it at all if you have no plans of supporting it or improving it for at least a year? It‘s crap like this that makes me feel like their just pulling the same dumb crap that Ubisoft has been pulling & frankly I’m tired of it…

BCVM22

Every Pokémon game is a cash grab. Every piece of entertainment is a cash grab. It is a business. The goal is to make money. Earlier Pokémon games, including Diamond and Pearl, were not labors of love. Their goal was also to make money. If you're tired of spending your money on games, then don't spend your money on games.

Brilliant Diamond and Shimmering Pearl were very fun and very charming games and I enjoyed playing them for many, many, many hours including more than a few all-nighters, but it was evident from release that at no point were they going to be the competitive standard or be supported with much/any DLC, especially not with Legends coming hot on their heels and even more so with Generation VIII ending with Legends. I'm sorry if any of this was a "suspicion" and not evident before now.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I disagree that BDSP is somehow "inferior" to previous remakes. Personally, I think BDSP is the second best remake after HGSS, and I think it's better than ORAS, FRLG and LGPE.

Also I would appreciate it if people who dislike BDSP would only speak for themselves, instead of presenting their personal opinion as the universal opinion of the fandom. They certainly don't represent me, and many others who like BDSP.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I disagree that BDSP is somehow "inferior" to previous remakes. Personally, I think BDSP is the second best remake after HGSS, and I think it's better than ORAS, FRLG and LGPE.

Also I would appreciate it if people who dislike BDSP would only speak for themselves, instead of presenting their personal opinion as the universal opinion of the fandom. They certainly don't represent me, and many others who like BDSP.
I wouldn’t say that it’s “inferior” as a remake. There are many enjoyable parts of the game. As for me I would rank the remakes best to worst as HGSS, ORAS, FRLG, BDSP, LGPE. But that’s just my opinion on them and everyone had their own. I have no qualms about other people liking these games or thinking that they are great. Each person enjoys different things about Pokémon and if they enjoy LGPE when I think the game is trash then that’s awesome for the person playing. I think it’s great that you like them so purchasing it was obviously a good investment. I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the game but it’s just an opinion. So keep playing and having fun.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I wouldn’t say that it’s “inferior” as a remake. There are many enjoyable parts of the game. As for me I would rank the remakes best to worst as HGSS, ORAS, FRLG, BDSP, LGPE. But that’s just my opinion on them and everyone had their own. I have no qualms about other people liking these games or thinking that they are great. Each person enjoys different things about Pokémon and if they enjoy LGPE when I think the game is trash then that’s awesome for the person playing. I think it’s great that you like them so purchasing it was obviously a good investment. I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the game but it’s just an opinion. So keep playing and having fun.
Yeah, my problem is with people who say things like "we deserved a better remake than BDSP". Who is "we"? Don't speak from the fandom's name, we all have our own, personal opinions. Everyone should speak for themselves, like you just did.

I love BDSP and I think it's very underrated by some people.

Last edited:

Autobot N

I like BDSP but it's not a better remake than ORAS, that one added tons of new stuff.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I like BDSP but it's not a better remake than ORAS, that one added tons of new stuff.
That's just your opinion. In my opinion, BDSP is better than ORAS, mainly because ORAS removed a lot of things.

ORAS doesn't have Gym Leader Rematches, BDSP does.
ORAS didn't keep the Safari Zone game, BDSP did keep it.
ORAS removed the Berry Blending minigame, BDSP kept the Poffin making minigame.
ORAS didn't include Trainer Customization, BDSP did (although limited).

These are some of the reasons why I think BDSP is better. Also, BDSP's Battle Tower has a much better AI.

Again, it's a matter of opinion.

Last edited: