• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bring In the Sun!!! Venusaur team

Plight of Leon

okay well i have a custom avvy now
Staff member
I created this team because Venusaur needs more love. I think he is a really great sweeper.

38.png

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 136 HP / 212 SAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

This Ninetales is meant to counter other weather inducers by using Sunny Day. It may seem a bit redundant, but, it allows Ninetales to have a better chance at beating Politoed and Tyranitar. The given EV's allow Ninetales to outspeed Politoed, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon. Solarbeam is there for the extra power it has over Energy Ball, plus the fact that Sun with almost undoubtedly be up. This allows it to inflict very big damage to all three of the most common weather inducers. Fire Blast is for the occasional Abomasnow and for catching Steel types who might think they are going to get a free switch in off guard. Will-O-Wisp makes setting up on Hippodowdon and Tyranitar easier, allowing it to take more than one Earthquake from both of them.

I have had mixed results with this Ninetales. Despite a Modest nature, it lacks quite a bit of power, and, if Politoed has Toxic, it can switch in and out and stall Ninetales out. It also is outsped by much of the OU metagame, which leads to trouble in keeping it alive.

3.png

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

For some reason PO refuses to see that Giga Drain is a tutor move. This is your standard Special Growth Venusaur, capable of setting up with Growth and sweeping. I use Hidden Power Fighting over Hidden Power Fire because it allows Venusaur to beat Heatran, since that it usually the most common counter.

When this guy sets up he steamrolls through teams. My only difficulty is actually setting him up, and he can be KO'ed somewhat easily.

381.png

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I wanted to use this Latios to get rid of the other weather inducers, mainly Politoed. Choice Specs gives it the extra power to take down a weakened Tyranitar before it can KO it with Crunch, though, I have to be careful around it. Draco Meteor is STAB and hits Tyranitar hard on the switch, allowing it to be beat later on. Thunderbolt gets rid of Politoed and generally is a bit of a surprise factor. Psychic is a more reliable STAB, though, it does nothing against Tyranitar. HP fighting is obviously for getting rid off Tyranitar.

He has worked well facing all types of Pokemon, though, because Choice Scarf users are really common right now, he has a little trouble getting rid of some threats he would have little problem dealing with otherwise.

490.png

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- SolarBeam

Speaking of Choice Scarf users, look at what the D/P universe brought in. Somewhat. This allows me to outspeed and get rid off many threats, including Heatran, Lucario, the Lati twins, and Salamence. The moves are designed to hit certain Pokemon. Fire Blast hits like a truck in Sun, giving Heatran dangerous power. Earth Power is for other Heatran and weakened Tyranitar. Dragon Pulse is for Salamence who threatens my team otherwise, as well as the Lati twins, and Solarbeam is for Water types, provided that Sun is up.

655.png

Bisharp (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 132 HP / 172 Atk / 204 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break

I chose Bisharp to get rid of the pesky "pink blob" problem that runs around. It can switch in on Toxic, and gets quite the surprise factor with a powerful Brick Break. Then, use Pursuit when they switch and hopefully seal the deal. Thunder Wave allows it to disable threats like the Lati twins if need be.

While I haven't had to use it with Blissey, he works well on Choiced Pokemon who have been weakened due to his high Attack and STAB Sucker Punch. Works well when he can get in.

667.png

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun

The MVP of the team, despite it being about Venusaur. While Venusaur can usually only boost once, this Volcarona can easily boost up multiple times. This Volcarona is my best Gengar counter, as it fears nothing from it except the occasional Crit SB. Quiver Dance as far as you can go, then, go hog wild with Fiery Dance. At +3 or higher, it destroys things that resist it. Bug Buzz is for those "just in case moments. Morning Sun heals a lot of HP under Sun, and allows it to boost a lot.

Like I said, he is amazing. The ability to just ignore an opponent and boost in its face cannot be ignored at all. He can turn complete disadvantages into complete wins.

Does anyone see anywhere where I can improved here? I have had moderate success with this team in OU, but would like to do better. Also, it would be good to know if there is any Pokemon that this is horribly weak to at all.

TerraWolf

Banned
Ninetales: Air Balloon it and take off Sunny Day and put on something different
Venusaur: Why Energy Ball when you Solarbeam. Drop Sludge Bomb for Sleep Powder and use HP Ice and not HP Fighting
Latios: Calm Mind over Hidden Power
Heatran is alright
Drop Bisharp for standard Gliscor
Volcarona is fine

good luck with the new additions

Darkrai1117

Fear the night...
First of all, is this in-game or simulators? Because with the shift with BW2 move tutors, more options are available for some of your Pokemon. Also I haven't played competitively for months so you can treat a grain of sand with more respect than my advice.

Ninetales:
Good, Solarbeam on normal sets would be iffy, but considering it is the Double Sun-Setter, it becomes a fairly reliable option. I can see how WoW is good, however this set is completely walled by Heatran and most Flash Fire Pokemon. Also Air Balloon is a reliable option, especially if your opponent doesn't read it and goes for the EQ.

Venusaur:
I agree with TerraWolf, replace Sludge Bomb for Sleep Powder. It gives more opportunity to set up, forcing your opponent to either switch or leave it in for death fodder, meaning you get a free Growth either way. In BW2, Venusaur also gets Giga Drain, which is weaker than Energy Ball (by 5 BP), although it does help with longevity, which, with it holding a Life Orb, is an important idea if you get stuck in a stall war. Also HP Fighting should be replaced by either HP Fire or Ice: Fire hitting Steels, Grass and Ice, while Ice hitting Dragons, Grass, Flying and Gliscor. Either way, something will likely be able to wall you, but you can't do much about it.

Latios:
Good, although you could try running Trick on it somewhere, passing off the Choice Specs onto something, ruining their game. If you want a reliable STAB, you could try replacing Psychic for Dragon Pulse, as Psychic doesn't add much coverage. Also HP Fire could replace HP Fighting for the same reasons as Venusaur, but the need to hit Tyranitar could provide more of a reason to hit it.

Heatran:
Good, once again, although Solarbeam is dodgy on anything without self-sufficient sun, as a bad switch into a weather changer can cause you to loose a Pokemon for no reason.

Bisharp:
Never really used Bisharp, however it appears to work well as a revenge killer and strong Priority user. Perhaps a bit more Attack EV's would help it out, but the moves provide almost perfect coverage.

Volcarona:
BW2 brought something incredible for Volcarona: Roost. It may not recover as much HP as Morning Sun (in the sun), but it does have more PP and reliably recovers in any weather. Apart from that, be careful of Heatran, who walls this set entirely.

As far as recommendations for your team, I reconsider some of your Physical/Special Split. With 1/5, you really need to be careful of Blissey once Bisharp is gone. With that, Heatran, especially Balloon Heatran walls a large majority of your team. Like what TerraWolf suggested, Gliscor would go well with a Roost-Poison Heal set, giving you a solid counter to Heatran with EQ, and a solid Physical Wall. Also Venusaur, while good, can also run a Physical or Mixed Set, with any of Seed Bomb, EQ, Growth, HP Ice/Fire.

Anyway, like I said I haven't rated competitively in months, and it is your team so take what you want.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
How does Sunny Day help you beat TTar? When you use it, TTar just Stone Edges you to hell. Same for Hippo, but with a balloon you'll be safe for him. So why not change Solarbeam to Energy Ball and Sunny Day to Confuse Ray or Hidden Power [Fighting]?