• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brock apparently = Misty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
while the writers may be wary of trying a new character after Tracey and Max.

Tracey and Max were never intended to be major characters though, the writers knew they would be short-lived (in Tracey's case) or just secondary (like in Max's case) in the first place.

They got rid of Misty and replaced her with two girls that brought more to the show than she did, and we would have never known that until she was replaced as we can see now.

The way I see it, Brock is taking the space of what could potentially be a better character, but we can't find out who that better character is until they replace him.

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
I Hope Brock does get replaced and falls in love I have a feeling thats why they made him get a Happiny. Also since Piplup is now a Mascot I think Dawn may become the stay with ash in 5th gen and not brock. Then have like the 5th gen guy join the group or something

PDL

disenchanted
Then they should just have Ash and the female character travel together. Brock has no real use in the show. Time to go.

Do you know who really needs to go? Certainly not Brock. The writers are actually making it damn sure that Ash and Dawn are practically unable to really take care of several living creatures, all of them with needs that are different. Sure they can train them for battling or for contests, but in the end, they're unable to do the basic domestic duties.

You may not like it, but it's for their own good.

As for closure, I think Brock will meet a Chansey-less Nurse Joy with his then-evolved Chansey and fall in love with her and stay with her.

Where the flying **** are you people even getting this from? Seriously, have they ever made someone leave the group over a single Pokémon in their party?

Also, none of the protagonists release any Pokémon anymore. That's now only done by Team Rocket.

Also why on earth would a Nurse Joy even be without a Chansey, and would be in need of one, specifically Brock's? Wouldn't they just breed their own Chansey/Happiny to replace a dead one?

You just want a quick fix to get rid of a character that you think is boring. Despite the fact that the writers still plan on keeping him.

Why the hell is this thread still open?

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
You just want a quick fix to get rid of a character that you think is boring. Despite the fact that the writers still plan on keeping him.

Why the hell is this thread still open?

I think the fact that this thread has hit over 400 replies shows how vocal people are on Brock and how divided the fandom is on him.

I guess it just goes to show you how people feel.

mew801

no one can ever replace brock so he should never go. he is like a father to both ash and dawn and without him they would be lost

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash is more mature now than he used to be, and Dawn isn't so helpless either.

Heck in one of the newest Japanese eps, one where Pachirisu was sick, Dawn cooked pancakes for all of the groups Pokemon as well as Ash.

If Dawn can cook, then Brock isn't as required as you might think.

Cecil Omega

Brock is one of the comic relief characters for the show which is most likely why they brought him back, Tracey just isn't funny.

Though to be honest, croagunk pretty much makes Brock's characer without croagunk he's kinda pointless

PDL

disenchanted
Exactly, the character himself may be dull, but it's easily remedied by giving him Pokémon with personalities that contrasts with his lack of one.

Though it's best not to overload him with Pokémon. The three he has now are fine.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Although Brock has lost his appeal since the beginning of the series, I still like Brock. he's one of the best characters. So no, I don't think so, even if he has dulled over the years, he's still not completely over.

trixie08

Speak No Evil
Despite the fact that he has cute Happiny and perky Sudowoodo, he should have left after Battle Frontier.

What the anime needs is another male companion for Ash and Dawn that does not crush on every girl he sees.

EDIT: Rank up! And how ironic, in a thread that talks about Brock.

Losami

Id love to see Paul replace Brock, but I dont think that will ever happen. I hope the writers go down a new route and have Ash travel by himself. That way there could be a lot more 'arcs' in a season and characters who travel with Ash for a few episodes.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Despite the fact that he has cute Happiny and perky Sudowoodo, he should have left after Battle Frontier.

What the anime needs is another male companion for Ash and Dawn that does not crush on every girl he sees.

EDIT: Rank up! And how ironic, in a thread that talks about Brock.

What anime that has comedy in it does not have a guy who is obssed with women?

Electivirus

Not really, no.
I personally love Brock and I would admittedly be very sad to see him go.

What if he were to leave after Sinnoh is over? The guy/girl who replaces him would probably (and instantly) be hated by a large minority of the fandom who would immediately point out any and all flaws that they may have. Basically, we'd have another Tracey issue on our hands.

Then again, I suppose it all depends on how well the writers would flesh out the Replacement Scrappy. Either way, people b*tch. Broken base, much?

You gotta admit, though...after 10+ years of being on the damn show, it would be a bit wierd not having Brock around, right?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What if he were to leave after Sinnoh is over? The guy/girl who replaces him would probably (and instantly) be hated by a large minority of the fandom who would immediately point out any and all flaws that they may have. Basically, we'd have another Tracey issue on our hands.

The only reason people complained about Tracey is because the writers barely did anything with him. He had no quirks and went through no character development, the only thing he wanted to do was meet Prof. Oak which he did at the end.

If they brought in a new sidekick who had an interesting personality and added a bit more to the show, he would be well received.

You gotta admit, though...after 10+ years of being on the damn show, it would be a bit wierd not having Brock around, right?

Possibly, but Brock's not an icon like Ash or Team Rocket are. Ash/Pikachu or Team Rocket leaving would really change the series altogether, yet Brock is so low-key so if he left it would just be like one of the girls leaving.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
The only reason people complained about Tracey is because the writers barely did anything with him. He had no quirks and went through no character development, the only thing he wanted to do was meet Prof. Oak which he did at the end.

If they brought in a new sidekick who had an interesting personality and added a bit more to the show, he would be well received.

Possibly, but Brock's not an icon like Ash or Team Rocket are. Ash/Pikachu or Team Rocket leaving would really change the series altogether, yet Brock is so low-key so if he left it would just be like one of the girls leaving.

Remember when Misty left? >_< Yeah...I'm sure you meant May, though. :p

JackLe945

I personally think that Brock should stay, just I've grown used to him. I don't doubt that they could replace him with a good character if they wanted to, but I think if they switched both of Ash's companions every arc it would get to be a bit too crazy. I think they should bring Misty back for an arc lol unite the dream team again

I personally love Brock and I would admittedly be very sad to see him go.

Then again, I suppose it all depends on how well the writers would flesh out the Replacement Scrappy. Either way, people b*tch. Broken base, much?

Since we're talking in tropes, it all comes down to having the Replacement Scrappy Rescued from the Scrappy Heap. Obviously May would not be nearly as popular as she is if she didn't have a likeable personality and meaningful character development. But of course, it would be harder for a sidekick character to get both of those (reaches for pesticide).

I think the real issue is the concept of three constant characters. It doesn't enough variety IMO; I think another would be nice. But should he be replaced, why not Roark? He's a male rock-type gym leader. They could go digging sometimes in the underground, which could prove to be interesting. Also I believe he's pretty mature as well.

That's silly about him falling for a random Jenny BTW... It's quite a bit more likely he'll hook up with Lucy IMO.

Id love to see Paul replace Brock, but I dont think that will ever happen. I hope the writers go down a new route and have Ash travel by himself. That way there could be a lot more 'arcs' in a season and characters who travel with Ash for a few episodes.
I think Paul's bro Reggie would be a better choice. Imagine if Paul didn't know and then runs into the gang. It would be priceless!

Losami

I think Paul's bro Reggie would be a better choice. Imagine if Paul didn't know and then runs into the gang. It would be priceless!

Yeah that would be pretty good. Plus he will bring something new. And it means we'd see more of Paul.
Youve changed my mind, I think he would be awesome travelling with Ash.

PDL

disenchanted
I think the real issue is the concept of three constant characters. It doesn't enough variety IMO; I think another would be nice. But should he be replaced, why not Roark? He's a male rock-type gym leader. They could go digging sometimes in the underground, which could prove to be interesting. Also I believe he's pretty mature as well.

In case you forgot, all their Pokémon count as constant characters, as well as Team Rocket and their Pokémon.

That brings the total to at least 25 characters to work with on a regular basis. Plus dozens of minor characters like past traveling partners like Misty, Tracey, Max and May. Other characters like their parents, other relatives, the Professors and Pokémon from past sagas.

So they really have more then just 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.