• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brock apparently = Misty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDL

disenchanted
I find it very ironic that these are the fans of a series that is exclusive to the Nintendo company. The same company that decided to take big risk and create a completely different kind of controller. Granted, the Wii was made by completely different people, but still if they're Pokémon fans, then they should also be Nintendo fans, ne?

Pokémon fans != Nintendo fans. Simple as that.

Timaku

Eloquent
Seeing how big of a topic Brock has made already, I think it's safe to assume we're not over him, or at least the idea of him. ;)

I think fundamentally Brock has the potential to be a very interesting character, but I believe that the writers seem to be reducing him to a Misty w/ Togepi-esque role. The reason for it is probably because of Dawn getting so much attention. I don't think that's because Brock is a bad character, but it's simply a matter of that Dawn NEEDS the time to develop more. Like an example of Dawn development episode is "Throwing the Track Switch", even if it was an episode that revolved around a trade the true meaning of the episode was to try to get the audience to pay attention to Dawn. She's got the mind of a coordinator, but she has tunnel vision; that she couldn't even see that Aipom wanted to be with her and Buizel just wasn't suited for it.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
^ True, but Brock barely did anything in Hoenn or Battle Frontier either.

Heck, ever since Brock came back for Johto he's barely been in the focus.

Profesco

gone gently
^ Brock did what he always does, what his purpose demands that he does. Comic relief, calm-minded rationality, support for travel, and raising either young (Mudkip/Bonsly) or difficult (Lotad/Croagunk) Pokemon. The first three are to hold the show together; the last one is perhaps the best way to showcase his goal as a breeder. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand, though...

Oh, and good point, Timaku!

PDL

disenchanted
Oh, and good point, Timaku!

Indeed, the mark of a truely unpopular character would be if nobody ever talked about him or her at all. Just like Malachy.

Who's Malachy?

Exactly.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The reason why this thread has so many replies is because most of it is complaining about Brock being stale, not good things.

PDL, why do you defend Brock so much anyway? Of all the years I've known you, I don't ever remember you talking about Brock that much until the last 6 months or so. Why is it you agree that Misty became stale in Johto, yet you can't see the same thing happened to Brock since AG?

PDL

disenchanted
PDL, why do you defend Brock so much anyway? Of all the years I've known you, I don't ever remember you talking about Brock that much until the last 6 months or so. Why is it you agree that Misty became stale in Johto, yet you can't see the same thing happened to Brock since AG?

I've been defending Brock alot lately because people have been bashing him alot lately. It could be just be me playing the role of devil's advocate. To be honest, I've noticed that the writers are trying to get him more involved in the plot, yet people still complain that he's still as dull as drying paint.

What people don't seem to understand is that not every character needs to be doing everything all the time. The show's already filled with several separate storylines that occasionally intermingle with one another:

1. Ash's story of trying to acheive the title of Pokémon Master, which includes his involvements with gym battles and recently, his rivialry with a character who represents his complete anti-thesis. There's also a plot about Ash's destiny being far greater then just being a Pokémon Master. (His connection to Ho-oh and Aura to start...)

2. The female co-star's story of acheiving their dreams of winning the Grand Festival. This includes a greater involvement with side characters/rivialries that aren't as "harsh" as Ash's.

3. Plus the protagonist's involvement with evil teams or antagonistisc forces that use Pokémon for their own gain. (either comic ones like Team Rocket or truely serious threats like Team Galactic and Hunter J)

The writers already have enough trouble juggling all these plots, adding a third major plot would just throw the current balance. Plus it's perfectly fine to have a dream that doesn't involve being competitive. I'm not normally a competitive person by nature, I really relate to Brock alot because if I were living with Pokémon, I would probably be doing the exact same thing Brock is doing right now (Or be like James, who treat his Pokémon like his BFFs). The anime shows that there are numerous ways to interact with Pokémon, none of them are really wrong (Except if you outright abuse them or merely use them solely for their powers for your own personal gain without regard to the Pokémon's well-being).

If he ever did get replaced by someone new, I actually wouldn't be the one who would decry said character and instantly bash him/her like most members here. However, I get the strong feeling that this new character would end up filling the exact same roles that Brock is doing now. Which would ultimately not solve the problems the character was supposed to fix in the first place.

Also, I don't exactly agree that characters can go stale and must be replaced. I'm actually one of the few people who liked Misty throughout her entire run. There just wasn't a point in the series where I actually hated the character.

It isn't that Misty herself became stale, but rather the entire feeling of the show changed. It changed from an anime that was largely story-driven to one that specifically marketed the Pokémon franchise. Whatever is done in the games, wheither it's battling a certain trainer, contests, promoting a spin-off game like Snap or Ranger or even promoting a single Pokémon like Lucario for Smash Bros Brawl. There's going to be some kind of reference to that thing in the anime. The way the anime used to run was entirely different. They axed certain NPCs (like Gary's sister) added places that don't exist in any of the games (The orange islands being the most notable) or completely skip certain game plot points.

Unfortunately Misty could no longer fit in the equation. She doesn't promote anything or do anything useful, she would just be with Ash for the sake of just being there. Her goal would be exactly the same thing Ash is doing but totally limited because she isn't competing for badges nor is she catching new Pokémon all the time (As she usually limits herself to catching water Pokémon, which would all have the same abilities of manipulating water).

Brock however has managed to ease into a role that promotes Pokémon while staying true to his character. He promotes raising Pokémon, which can be easily done with any Pokémon. This can be easily done in the games through EV training or leveling up a particular Pokémon. He also makes his role distinct by not really competing in anything. Just rasing what a special Pokémon to be the very best that Pokémon can be. You don't need to be constantly getting trinkets to show that you're contributing.

Also, I don't see things from just the fan's perspectives, but rather from the perspectives of the producers of the cartoon and whoever else is in charge of creating the franchise.

I also find it extremely silly to constantly balk about a character who doesn't appear to do anything. It's the characters that outright irk me that tend to really tick me off. Paul for instance. He's a great concept for a character, but I really dislike people like Paul in real life so I don't actually care too much for the character. Off course it is the writers intent to make Paul an example of a character you're not supposed to like.

tl;dr version: Don't try to fix what isn't actually broken, Brock reminds me of me the most and Misty's terrible at promoting anything game-related.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
If you ask me, the "brock sucks and has to leave" people don't have a leg to stand on. It's not Brock himself that's boring as much as his job is boring. He is there to care for the other two characters, act as the "captions" to the battles, and care for the others as an older member. Also, his presence keeps the gender scale tipped towards men (according to Cybercubed).

I think anyone who wants Brock out needs to say what character they want to replace Brock and do a better job than he does at it.

The only other thing to do is get rid of Brock AND Dawn, and just introduce an adult coordinator to fill both roles. And then the sex scale would be even.

So, there's no reason he should leave.

PDL

disenchanted
The only other thing to do is get rid of Brock AND Dawn, and just introduce an adult coordinator to fill both roles. And then the sex scale would be even.

Yes, let's totally alienate all the female viewers who might identify with a young girl by replacing her with a not evil Jessie clone.

There's nothing absolutely creepy about a older female following a young boy at all. Nothing.

magmaros

There's nothing absolutely creepy about a older female following a young boy at all. Nothing.

You just made my day.

Heres a [not gonna happen] funny theory. Consider this short story.

Blah blah blah, Ash finishes Sinnoh League, Brock and Dawn and Ash go separate ways. Ash is left alone and sees Team Rocket sobbing because they got fired from .. Team Rocket, so he offers to help them get back on their feet. While he travels with them and such in the fifth gen region, they build a friendship. James attempts a career in Pokemon Training (Seriously) and Jessie pursues a career in Coordinating, and Meowth is the Max character, and they all forget about catching Pikachu, because they have no one to take it to. And they actually wear real clothes, not the same clothes for 10 years. But oh..? Were you wondering who would try to catch Pikachu? BUTCH AND CASSIDY, baby! The new Team Rocket :] A better challenge.

Like I said, that will never happen. I mean, would Ash really travel around with two older people, who are also former criminals? And after the many years of fighting with them, would he really become their friend? No. It would ruin the anime entirely, but I'd still watch it :]

And have you guys noticed...have Jessie and James ever actually called Ash or his friends by their first names?

iraqmaster

I'm not one of those eople that are " OH NOEZ BROCKZ IZ TEH LAMEST CARECTER! HEZ GOEZ NOW!" kind of people, but here's my opinion:

To answer the OP, Brock's whole " running up to every girl and falling in love" is downright annoying. It was kind of funny for the first few episodes, but seriously, the writers need to tone it down or let brock get laid efore he does something stupid.

Menx

I am getting board with Brock and the way he falls in love with every girl he sees. How can he see anyway? He never opens his eyes.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Yes, let's totally alienate all the female viewers who might identify with a young girl by replacing her with a not evil Jessie clone.

Never said that's what they should do. I was just thinking out loud. I actually said that wouldn't work, because the sex scale would be even.

Plus, it's a woman anyway. They're always completely innocent (semi-sarcastic tone).

How can he see anyway? He never opens his eyes.
He just finds them with pharamones.

Brock's whole " running up to every girl and falling in love" is downright annoying. It was kind of funny for the first few episodes, but seriously, the writers need to tone it down or let brock get laid efore he does something stupid.

It bugs me more how he's always held back by something. I mean everyone's always stopping them, and acting like they're doing the world a favour. I mean, maybe someone might actually like the cheezy pick up lines.

And I hate how everyone just laughs when he's shunned. If people did that to me, and I was in charge of making meals, they'd be getting something special in their dinner tonight...

Last edited:

Timaku

Eloquent
People seem to forget that Brock's like a role-model in the right light. He teaches us that love and girls are fickle, that it pays to have a little experience, that it's okay to pursue whatever dreams you have and most importantly, Brock has taught us to never give in or up when it comes to doing what you like. Despite his fruitless field in the garden of true love, he still sows loving seeds in the barren soil of life, in the hopes that one day his seeds of love sprout, bloom and prosper...That is an attitude and level of determination we can all aspire to. :)

PDL

disenchanted
Never said that's what they should do. I was just thinking out loud. I actually said that wouldn't work, because the sex scale would be even.

That would be sacrificing additional character interaction. There would only be two people that the audience can relate to. A cast of three people in the group works fine.

Also, they can't exactly make the sex scale equal when the target demographic are boys. It may seem backward, but that's how shows targeted towards boys usually are.

Bobby Emerald

The Poke-expert
No, Brock and his cooking shall remain throughout the series. ;)
I'm mad that people still watch it though. It's ****ing crap. It's not even worth watching anymore, just stick to the games, that's what I say...

octoboy

I Crush Everything
That would be sacrificing additional character interaction. There would only be two people that the audience can relate to. A cast of three people in the group works fine.

Also, they can't exactly make the sex scale equal when the target demographic are boys. It may seem backward, but that's how shows targeted towards boys usually are.

I actually was agreeing with you the whole time. I just wanted to show what would happen without Brock (the only other option would be a character who's just like Brock, except not Brock, and he would only be around for the sake of not being Brock like Tracey was).

I'm mad that people still watch it though. It's ****ing crap. It's not even worth watching anymore, just stick to the games, that's what I say...
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you can't stand the anime, then get out of the anime section.

It's not that hard.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm starting to think the only people who want Brock to stay are the same people who still think the writers are going to reunite the original trio.

Seriously, Brock should have went the way of Misty (and Tracey I guess) after the end of AG.

Ash traveling with Dawn and a new male for D/P would have been better than what we got.

Kataphrut

I'm starting to think the only people who want Brock to stay are the same people who still think the writers are going to reunite the original trio.

Seriously, Brock should have went the way of Misty (and Tracey I guess) after the end of AG.

Ash traveling with Dawn and a new male for D/P would have been better than what we got.

CyberCubed, I resent that. I'd say Brock is fine, but I don't really care about bringing back Misty for the moment.

What exactly is the problem with Brock? He may not be as active as Ash & Dawn/May/Misty, but he has his merits. I'd list them myself, but most of them have already been listed by other Brock fans on this thread & I don't like listing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.