• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brock apparently = Misty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if there is a thread like this, I searched and found nothing.

Anyway is anyone else over Brock? i really hope he is the one to leave in the next series. The whole "going crazy with each girl he sees" thing is getting very old and I'm sure the group would do fine without him as they did when Tracey was with them.

If a new series of Pokemon was created about the 5th generation, I'd want Misty to return while the male protagonist from the next games replaced Brock.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I wanted Brock to leave at the end of AG, but we got stuck with him for D/P too.

Granted Brock is still a funny and good character, its just that its time for him to go.

Rave

Banned
Brock is fine as is.

I don't really see any reason as to why Brock has to be dropped. His going crazy over alot of girls is what makes him unique to the series.

Star Dust

live let live.
lol. People went crazy when Brock left. They don't wanna do that again.

Brock's unique. He's different as he's pretty much the only one regularly shown going crazy over a girl.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Brock is fine as is.

I don't really see any reason as to why Brock has to be dropped. His going crazy over alot of girls is what makes him unique to the series.

After 500 episodes of him you don't want to try something different?

Just because Tracey wasn't that great doesn't mean the writers can't make a better male sidekick this time.

They took risks with bringing new girls into the show and that turned out to be a success, they can do the same with Brock.

PDL

disenchanted
They took risks with bringing new girls into the show and that turned out to be a success, they can do the same with Brock.

Not really. With female characters, it's easy actually, just have a cute design and some kind of cute personality and TADA! Instant likeable character.

It's alot more difficult to do the same with a male supporting character because he can't be given a cute design since "cute male characters" don't seem that popular. (Considering what gender the target audience is, mostly male.). That means that this supposed new character would have to go on personality alone, and as a supporting character, his personalty would have to be kept muted otherwise there would be three characters hogging all the screentime. (It's currently working fine with two right now, why mess that dynamic up?)

We're in a catch 22 with Brock. Either he stays and people complain about him being "dull" or he leaves and the new character gets development that could have very easily been given to Brock. Making the switch ulimately worthless in the long run. (He'll end up doing the exact same things as Brock since we just can't have Ash and his friends somehow live comfortably walking the earth. It wouldn't be fair to the new character.)

Either way, this new character is doomed to fail.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I think the writers could have made Takeshi a lot more interesting than he is, but for whatever reason they just didn't. I, for one, would have loved to see him more involved with contests in some way, whether it be competing in them himself or even working behind the scenes with some of that vast knowledge which often inturrupts good gym matches. Hell, he was even in a precurser to third generation contests all they way back in Jouto. Not to mention, making food for pokémon and humans alike has been one of his staples since the very beginning. He could have been the Pokéblock/Poffin master if he set his sights on it, but it never happens.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Either way, this new character is doomed to fail.

Not really, introduce a new male trainer who battles more often, has a funny quirk, and has a good dynamic with Ash and the regional female and you have yourself a winner.

The only reason you can't picture it is because it hasn't happened and Tracey didn't work.

The thing is, Tracey wasn't funny. His dynamic with Ash wasn't interesting. His goal wasn't interesting. His Pokemon were only remotely interesting.

If the writers avoid the things that made Tracey not interesting, then they'll have a winner.

No way. There are a lot of instances where Ash is quite a dummy without Brock. The Surge episode is one example. Brock's intelligence and calm nature keeps the team together I think. Especially with Misty around when there were constant arguments breaking out between her and Ash.

Not to mention the hassle of now having to create a new male sidekick as well as a new female unless they decide to keep one for once and stick with Dawn.

I love Brock he's not only hilarious but he's kind and smart and cool. It sometimes puzzles me how he can't seem to find his Mrs. Right with his kind and gentle nature.

Last edited:
Brock is really lame now. I personally think it would be better if they ditched him and tried something new.

The anime already sucks balls now.. cant get much worse right?

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
I'm a bit of mixed. One side of me says that he is getting old and should leave. The other side of me says that he is great for comic relief, and seeing how Tracey was a clearly not the best replacer, I have doubts about Brock just leaving like that.

Hotshot

I'm rather torn between the two options. On one hand, I've often enjoyed Brock and his antics, but on the other hand, he's getting really useless. He really has no point in the show now.

halloweenghost

when we first had the image for diamond and pearl the one with ash, dawn and paul..I was hoping those were going to be his travel compantions. I like brock and all but I want somone new to freshen things up... we need a new guy instead of just a new girl all the time.

Yes, I'm over Brock. If he could do something, like Dawn and her contests, Ash with his gym battles, he'd be interesting. Right now, Brock = Boring. ._.

the redeemer

umbreon fan
i think brock must stay
think about the girls in the show
who else flirts with ALL of them if brock isn't around anymore XD
well actually he's the one who cares for ash and co. so that's a reason he's staying till now
i'm cool with the idea that there's gonna be another male compagnion but keep brock intact

Brock gives the new girl always a real deal of information, also to ash. so he has his role. BUT they could easily created a new character more like ash in the terms of wanting to be pokemon master and he can know alot... (maybe like BCVM22 xD)

PDL

disenchanted
Not really, introduce a new male trainer who battles more often, has a funny quirk, and has a good dynamic with Ash and the regional female and you have yourself a winner.

The only reason you can't picture it is because it hasn't happened and Tracey didn't work.

The thing is, Tracey wasn't funny. His dynamic with Ash wasn't interesting. His goal wasn't interesting. His Pokemon were only remotely interesting.

If the writers avoid the things that made Tracey not interesting, then they'll have a winner.

The problem with this is that "a winner" is pretty subjective. Some people may find the character appealing while others will probably find all kinds of faults or instantly dislike him (though *every* new characters goes through this phase). Also, it's difficult to make a mature Brock-like character be appealing to the demographic Pokémon is aimed at. The third character has to be the mature responsible one; They can't have several "immature" characters without a "mature" one to keep them composed and in line. Otherwise the group would break down and that would be the end off the show.

The third character has to be muted personality-speaking because there's already limited time that could be devoted to the other two characters (plus Team Rocket, Rivals, characters of the day etc.)

Anyway, I feel that Brock's "dullness" is very exaggerated. They give him some screentime at least. It's very much possible to work with a seemingly "unworkable" character. Just look at Team Rocket, Jessie in particular.

The anime already sucks balls now.. cant get much worse right?

Steller contribution, Bravo... *sarcastic clapping*

aerisLana

i cannot believe
For me, I guess Brock is ok. But I agree with the topic though... He's been in the anime for so long, and the only season that he didn't appear very much is the Orange Islands season. Well, if "there will be a 5th Gen", maybe Brock could be replaced by a new character by a high chance. (IF there will be a 5th gen)

Status
Not open for further replies.