• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brock or Cilan?

Better Traveling Companion for Ash

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracey travelled with Ash, so where is the Tracey option? That's who I like better.
Whatever, I'll ignore that and answer the question. Cilan. He doesn't chase after girls like Brock does. It was funny in the beginning, but by Jotho it got old. Also, Cilan is sexy, and Brock is ugly.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
Brock! I loved all of his gags and I liked him flirting with girls.

Cilan is ok and he's fabolous! X3 but I feel his character is not that great.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I prefer Brock, I liked how he hit on girl`s and his Ludicolo dance

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
cilan is actually more helpful than brock was. Lets admit what did brock do?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I never thought I'd say this, but I prefer Brock. He was pretty much useless during his run in the anime, but at least he didn't have a "HTT" personality like Cilan. I almost wish that Brock would come back to replace Cilan, but I know that it'll never happen. We're stuck with Cilan for the time being :c

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
This is an easy one for me. Brock all the way. I loved how he always fell in love with every girl and could tell fake Jennys and Joys from the real ones. Cilan, on the other hand, is just downright annoying in my opinion always talking about recipes and such. could use some work. I think it was time to replace Brock, but they could have done a better job than choosing Cilan to take his place.

EDIT: Kick Cilan to the curb and bring Misty back! Just think of poor Ash having to deal with Iris AND Misty. :p

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Off topic: Shouldn't this be in the poll section?

On topic: From what I'm already seeing, Cilan is showing great charisma.

mistycerulean

Brock, because he was there since my childhood, and I'm so used to him by now.

Aria-Forme

Tina Tsukumo
As much as I did love Brock I'm going to say Cilan. I find him way more entertaining with his "____ Time!" and his Sommelier antics. :p Brock's gags got old for me and I was tired of seeing him flirt with women that he never got. ^^; I thought he was much better in the original series and I think he was kept around a bit too long. Cilan brings a fresh personality to the show and I enjoy all of his food metaphors. :)

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Honestly, it's been so long since I've seen any of the episodes where Brock was a good character(aka "original Kanto") that I can't even remember what he was like back then. Bringing him back in Johto was a pretty big mistake, since my impression of him(along with many other peoples' impressions) is going to be based on the three regions of him being a cheap, played-out "he sure is a horndog! (also he cooks)" gag instead of the one early region of him being a more fleshed-out character.

Cilan, on the other hand, has been kept more three-dimensional, so he doesn't seem at risk of falling into the same rut Brock got into. His food metaphors are a neat idea in theory but kind of dumb in practice. That said, they're still less annoying than the obligatory "Brock hits on woman and gets dragged away by Misty/Max/Croagunk" scene we got in far too many Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh episodes. And really? Cilan is entertaining. This is partially because the writers are giving him more than one episode every two years, but also because he still gets little moments in episodes that don't revolve around him. Kind of makes me wonder what Brock would have been if the writers had put the same amount of effort into giving him things to do on a regular basis.

pokemon fan 132

If the writers had chosen to they could have given all of Brock's mentorship to Ash, maturing his character to the point where he can take care of young trainers (May, Dawn, Max) yet still retain his fun personality. I think I would have enjoyed a balanced mentor/goofy Ash in DP then Brock being there at all. The writers were lazy, pure and simple but at the same time they were not going to waste precious screen time and advertisement on Brock when he's a very old character when they had numerous new characters of the current generation present. Brock did have some moments in DP but overall his character was the worst of the trio. Ash had gym's and Paul to fallback on, Dawn had Piplup and Contest, Brock sadly only had Croagunk. The DP trio would have been better off if another new character was in the group. That is why the Best Wishes trio is so much better then DP's horrible. They all played a part in the trio being bad, but Brock didn't even have good interactions with Ash by DP's point.

If Brock was involved more actively in DP plot being given more focus and things to do i dont think there would be any problems with him.
In Hoenn presence of Max helped his character to have someone to who he could relate to sharing things in common which allowed for good character interaction with Brock even having some memorable moments with other characters like May.Fact that May didnt take up so much screen time like Dawn did went in his favor too.

Main problem in Sinnoh was that focus was often put on Ash and Dawn being two co-stars around who story revolved with Brock character often being left behind not being given much attention as character.
Passiveness of his breeder goal also represented issue since this didnt had much to do with battling ,competing or having benchmarks through which progression can be measured like its case with Ash,Dawn or even Cilan.It was mostly about taking care of pokemon,preparing food and keeping them in good form representing problems for writers to give him more to do.

They also probably felt how his role of older caretaker and mentor to group being like "older brother"was good enough for Brock character eventually being showed to be mistake making sure to avoid that with Cilan.

However on positive side Sinnoh fleshed out Brocks character more in aspect of being breeder being given finally pokemon egg to display his true knowledge and skills raising it to healthy and powerful Chansey.His skills were often recognized among other characters starting to show interest for doctor calling which eventually led to change of his career.He also had several memorable interactions with some characters like Holly from Tag battle tournament,girl from maid cafe etc with his character going through some character development which was manifested in his interactions with family and brother about whole gym crisis tying up his connections with this place,improvement of his breeder skills along with change of decision to become pokemon doctor.

There were some good moments with Ash and Dawn too with Brock being good character when used correctly but main issue from which his character suffered was being given too little focus for himself as well most of attention being given to development of Ash and Dawn friendship and their stories..

In reality Brock in DP was victim of bad repartition of focus between characters.

Bringing him back in Johto was a pretty big mistake, since my impression of him(along with many other peoples' impressions) is going to be based on the three regions of him being a cheap, played-out "he sure is a horndog! (also he cooks)" gag instead of the one early region of him being a more fleshed-out character.

Im not sure about that because most people didnt had problems with Brock in Johto or Hoenn with complaining not starting to happen until DP didnt came on scene.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Brock was ok in Kanto-Jhoto but in AG-D/P he got boring, Dento seems so far more fun and actually does stuff. So yah, I choose Dento.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
I'd say Cilan is much better than AG/DP Brock any day. The writers decided to kill Brock's interesting character by having him mostly hanging in the background overshadowed by Ash, Dawn and May. This of course is my opinion. I think had Brock left the main group in AG, this poll would have been much in favour of Brock. For many fans he got stale with passage of time. Sure, there exist his loyal fans too but not in huge numbers from what I've noticed here.

Last edited:

Lunanight

I cannot believe I will say this, but I prefered Cilan
Let's be honest here people, what the **** did Brock do...EXCEPT for cooking and stating the obvious?

I do not "hate" Brock, I just feel that after Johto, his character got a bit boring so if they just had him leave at the end of Johto then I am sure people would not find Brock as annoying.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
If Brock was involved more actively in DP plot being given more focus and things to do i dont think there would be any problems with him.
In Hoenn presence of Max helped his character to have someone to who he could relate to sharing things in common which allowed for good character interaction with Brock even having some memorable moments with other characters like May.Fact that May didnt take up so much screen time like Dawn did went in his favor too.

Main problem in Sinnoh was that focus was often put on Ash and Dawn being two co-stars around who story revolved with Brock character often being left behind not being given much attention as character.
Passiveness of his breeder goal also represented issue since this didnt had much to do with battling ,competing or having benchmarks through which progression can be measured like its case with Ash,Dawn or even Cilan.It was mostly about taking care of pokemon,preparing food and keeping them in good form representing problems for writers to give him more to do.

They also probably felt how his role of older caretaker and mentor to group being like "older brother"was good enough for Brock character eventually being showed to be mistake making sure to avoid that with Cilan.

However on positive side Sinnoh fleshed out Brocks character more in aspect of being breeder being given finally pokemon egg to display his true knowledge and skills raising it to healthy and powerful Chansey.His skills were often recognized among other characters starting to show interest for doctor calling which eventually led to change of his career.He also had several memorable interactions with some characters like Holly from Tag battle tournament,girl from maid cafe etc with his character going through some character development which was manifested in his interactions with family and brother about whole gym crisis tying up his connections with this place,improvement of his breeder skills along with change of decision to become pokemon doctor.

There were some good moments with Ash and Dawn too with Brock being good character when used correctly but main issue from which his character suffered was being given too little focus for himself as well most of attention being given to development of Ash and Dawn friendship and their stories..

In reality Brock in DP was victim of bad repartition of focus between characters.

Im not sure about that because most people didnt had problems with Brock in Johto or Hoenn with complaining not starting to happen until DP didnt came on scene.

Brock in Hoenn was okay at first but even he felt unneeded. Max helped balance his character out, and the writers were not brave enough to give May a big secondary role at first. Notice as the series went on May got more and more important and nearly stopped interacting with Brock. By BF May and Brock were nearly in the same position as Brock and Dawn, minus that contest battle they had. It was not really a bad move to give new characters more screen time then Brock. Brock has been around for years, his character was as fleshed out as possible, which is why some lost interest in him. New characters are here for nearly 4 years then they go. That is why May, Dawn, Cilan, ect are getting more fleshed out and overall better treatment then Brock, that and because they are new and from today's generation. Ash gets a free pass because they force the main game plot on him and he even steals the main boys clothes. Team Rocket are fizzling out and could very well end by this saga, or just be cut back, Brock was just the third wheel sadly. A new third character should have been in the DP trio, then they would have cut back on Ash and Dawn and it would have been fine. There was no real reason to advertise Brock a generation 1 character at all at this point and only the most loyal Brock fans will argue.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Brock, although I am sorta glad that Cilan has come into the show now. Brock was great from the start but he wasn't going anywhere with his goal. There were some hints towards him becoming a doctor but he was just following ash. His pokemon teams were also becoming more weird. He only has two pure rock pokemons now and the captures of croagunk and ludicolo were annoying. Cilan is alright, he actually has stragety when battling instead of 'Use every powerful move until something works' plan. But I prefer Brock because Cilan is a bit annoying however they are a bit different which is good.

pokemon fan 132

Brock in Hoenn was okay at first but even he felt unneeded. Max helped balance his character out, and the writers were not brave enough to give May a big secondary role at first. Notice as the series went on May got more and more important and nearly stopped interacting with Brock. By BF May and Brock were nearly in the same position as Brock and Dawn, minus that contest battle they had. It was not really a bad move to give new characters more screen time then Brock. Brock has been around for years, his character was as fleshed out as possible, which is why some lost interest in him. New characters are here for nearly 4 years then they go. That is why May, Dawn, Cilan, ect are getting more fleshed out and overall better treatment then Brock, that and because they are new and from today's generation. Ash gets a free pass because they force the main game plot on him and he even steals the main boys clothes. Team Rocket are fizzling out and could very well end by this saga, or just be cut back, Brock was just the third wheel sadly. A new third character should have been in the DP trio, then they would have cut back on Ash and Dawn and it would have been fine. There was no real reason to advertise Brock a generation 1 character at all at this point and only the most loyal Brock fans will argue.

Im not sure about that,because i didnt noticed any particularly big neglect from Brocks character when May was around.He obviously still received the least(minus Max)but he had pretty good treatment even at later point in Battle Frontier.He got Bonsly,his Mudkip evolved,had some nice moments with May going on shopping with her as well participating in pokemon contest feeling closer as friends which i cant say for Dawn unfortunately.He also got to battle at Pewter gym,helped Ash,showed his skills as breeder utilizing it on many occasions along with Max idolizing him for his knowledge fulfilling each other nicely.
In Hoenn and BF i cant really complain because Brock got pretty good treatment for a sidekick.

Reason why Brock stayed for so long was probably to provide more continuity to this show with one older character along with Ash giving connection to previous regions and stability of main cast not being disrupted with complete revamps at start of each new generation like they did now with Best Wishes.
Also they needed someone to fulfill role of being older caretaker who would take care of other characters in group and pokemon,serving as un drained source of information when it comes to pokemon and their attacks,explaining to viewers some basic things from pokemon battles.

As it was showed writers when making main cast have some liberty in it not being obligated to necessarily include new ones from games to change things up a bit.I dont see any issue with older character being kept as long he is treated fine having marketing value to promote new games too(through new pokemon and events he enters).

I dont think Brock character was fully fleshed out either having still problems at home with his dis functional family,his goal of breeder was never given much attention going nowhere and while it was mostly reduced to running gag his obsession with girls provided some interesting unexplored territory in which it could have been touched upon little more.
He could very well go through crisis as character changing his career as breeder pursuing different quest which would provide new and fresh direction through which he could be developed.

In reality Brock could have been definitely developed more never being too late to fix mistakes and go forward with someone.If writers wanted they could refresh Brocks character giving him more involvement in episodes,updating his pokemon team.They could give little more attention to his breeding goal,have hm battle and participate in some events giving him more interesting aspects drawing interest from audience into this character never being too late to develop someone further reinventing some things.

Cold reality is that they probably felt how his character is fulfilling role they intended for him just fine not seeing need to increase his screen time wasting opportunities.

Introducing new character wouldnt fix anything in DP not being solution to problems being needed first to fix core of problem they are making with current character.They could gave him treatment Cilan is getting but they were making mistake of which they werent aware of, making sure now not to be repeated anymore.

Main reason why Brocks presence seemed more unnecessary in Sinnoh was lack of a bond between him and Dawn and the strong bond between Ash and Dawn that forced him out of the dynamic.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Im not sure about that,because i didnt noticed any particularly big neglect from Brocks character when May was around.He obviously still received the least(minus Max)but he had pretty good treatment even at later point in Battle Frontier.He got Bonsly,his Mudkip evolved,had some nice moments with May going on shopping with her as well participating in pokemon contest feeling closer as friends which i cant say for Dawn unfortunately.He also got to battle at Pewter gym,helped Ash,showed his skills as breeder utilizing it on many occasions along with Max idolizing him for his knowledge fulfilling each other nicely.
In Hoenn and BF i cant really complain because Brock got pretty good treatment for a sidekick.

Reason why Brock stayed for so long was probably to provide more continuity to this show with one older character along with Ash giving connection to previous regions and stability of main cast not being disrupted with complete revamps at start of each new generation like they did now with Best Wishes.
Also they needed someone to fulfill role of being older caretaker who would take care of other characters in group and pokemon,serving as un drained source of information when it comes to pokemon and their attacks,explaining to viewers some basic things from pokemon battles.

As it was showed writers when making main cast have some liberty in it not being obligated to necessarily include new ones from games to change things up a bit.I dont see any issue with older character being kept as long he is treated fine having marketing value to promote new games too(through new pokemon and events he enters).

I dont think Brock character was fully fleshed out either having still problems at home with his dis functional family,his goal of breeder was never given much attention going nowhere and while it was mostly reduced to running gag his obsession with girls provided some interesting unexplored territory in which it could have been touched upon little more.
He could very well go through crisis as character changing his career as breeder pursuing different quest which would provide new and fresh direction through which he could be developed.

In reality Brock could have been definitely developed more never being too late to fix mistakes and go forward with someone.If writers wanted they could refresh Brocks character giving him more involvement in episodes,updating his pokemon team.They could give little more attention to his breeding goal,have hm battle and participate in some events giving him more interesting aspects drawing interest from audience into this character never being too late to develop someone further reinventing some things.

Cold reality is that they probably felt how his character is fulfilling role they intended for him just fine not seeing need to increase his screen time wasting opportunities.

Introducing new character wouldnt fix anything in DP not being solution to problems being needed first to fix core of problem they are making with current character.They could gave him treatment Cilan is getting but they were making mistake of which they werent aware of, making sure now not to be repeated anymore.

Main reason why Brocks presence seemed more unnecessary in Sinnoh was lack of a bond between him and Dawn and the strong bond between Ash and Dawn that forced him out of the dynamic.

A new character for DP would have been better! I personally thought Barry would have made a great third character on the group. Much better then a rival, that's for sure. Brock could have gotten what Cilan is getting now, but Cilan is a new character. He's fresh, he's new, people want to learn more about him. Brock is stale, old, we all know what he's about. There is only so much the writers can do with quest that don't involve battling, that is why they added a battle portion to contest. Your right Brock didn't bond with Dawn very well if at all, but between a new character and a worn out character who were the writers going to choose? And with no fourth character for him to play off of, Brock was doomed. Hence a new character for the group would have been ideal. There were plenty of characters in DP that interacted well with both Ash and Dawn that put Brock's poor attempts to shame. Again this is why Cilan and Iris work. Both new characters that can be fleshed out and it's much easier for new characters to bond together when they are introduced together then having a new character try to bond with characters that have been around since like 1999.

pokemon fan 132

A new character for DP would have been better! I personally thought Barry would have made a great third character on the group. Much better then a rival, that's for sure. Brock could have gotten what Cilan is getting now, but Cilan is a new character. He's fresh, he's new, people want to learn more about him. Brock is stale, old, we all know what he's about. There is only so much the writers can do with quest that don't involve battling, that is why they added a battle portion to contest. Your right Brock didn't bond with Dawn very well if at all, but between a new character and a worn out character who were the writers going to choose? And with no fourth character for him to play off of, Brock was doomed. Hence a new character for the group would have been ideal. There were plenty of characters in DP that interacted well with both Ash and Dawn that put Brock's poor attempts to shame. Again this is why Cilan and Iris work. Both new characters that can be fleshed out and it's much easier for new characters to bond together when they are introduced together then having a new character try to bond with characters that have been around since like 1999.

And older character like Brock could have been refreshed through new subplots,new clothes,new pokemon and direction in which his character could start heading.

Writers could revamp Brocks character to make him more interesting by revealing more of his past,starting to focus on some of his interest,introduce missing links from past and issues which werent brought up before.Brock had potential as character and still has being possible to flesh him out more but unfortunately writers left it go to waste instead of utilizing his character properly.

Also being new has nothing to do with interacting between characters being better.It depends on character personalities and interest how much they will have in common to properly interact and have enjoyable dynamic.Ash and Tam Rocket are ancient characters but they interact with new ones fine.May and Misty were older characters but when meting each other or when she met Dawn thy interacted nicely building up intriguing chemistry.,

May and Max were new characters to Brock but he still interacted with them far better than i can say for Dawn with who their friendship was on edge of being like strangers.
Writers doing their job lam with Sinnoh group has nothing to do with Brock being in show longer than Dawn did.

Many anime which dont change cast has their characters for years opening new fresh things about them and stories building up dynamic and relationship which start to change as they gradually develop and grow.

It seems to m you gave up on Brock character long time ago and any possibility of his character being worthwhile again which is fine though keep in mind how not everyone share same view about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.